Halane 10-11, 730 - Approaching Pethwys

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 10-11, 730 - Approaching Pethwys

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:13 pm

During the early hours of Halane 10, it begins to rain and the temperature takes a dip as well. Members of the warband huddle under blankets, and in the morning, breakfast is cold and wet. The night was otherwise quiet, although there was the howling of wolves from time to time, safely distant.

The trek that day was equally cold and wet. The mules, clearly comfortable with Soran, balked occasionally, but he always got them back in line quickly. Practically the only words Soran speaks are to the mules, and those are on low tones. Erdick makes a few notes now and then on a small wax tablet with a bone stylus. The warband is alert, but the trail through the high mountains is quiet.

That evening, a suitable campsite is found and in the shelter of the rock, a small fire made. Over bread already getting hard with cheese and ale, those who had been this route some months before to invest Leriel recall those days and all that has happened since. The watches are set, and another night passes.

On the morning of the 11th, the rain having stopped though the sky remains overcast, Erdick says that Pethwys is just a few hours ahead. Pethwys itself can be bypassed, but there is at least one village - Gowys - which cannot. He pauses to see what Lord Igon will say.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:56 pm

Igon turns to Erdick and asks... "How soon will we reach Gowys? Perhaps we should go through at night. I do not want to risk a Jarin or for that matter a Thardan patrol finding us. If we are found out, we may find the forces of Pethwys hunting for us..."

Igon turns to the rest of the band..." we must assume that the Bastards will know what we plan, as our choices are limited and they know it. I fully expect the Thardans to be watching for travelers heading south... stealth and secrecy our are best weapons now. And it will only take one spy to bring ruin to all."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:05 pm

Ulauf turning to his cousin says "Wise counsel indeed."

"Cousin, do you want me, Laenvan and Erdrick to scout ahead of the group and see if there is anything lying in wait for us in Gowys."

"I think the more we know of what lies ahead the better we can prepare for it. I might also be able to scout a way around this village that we keep us from prying eyes."

"If so then we must head off quickly to give us time to look around."
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:52 pm

Erdrick replies, "At this rate, and if the rain holds off, we should reach Gowys in four to five hours - about midday. As we near, we could hole up somewhere until nightfall and then try to slip past the village then."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:00 pm

While the rest of the group holes up Laenvan, Erdrick and I could see if we can find a way around the town and come back just before last light and lead the group through the town without be detected...
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:26 am

Laenvan is eager to be on the trip with Ulauf and Erdrick, eager to learn something new.

"Eh, Ulauf. This will be my first scouting trip so what should I leave behind to not make too much noise?" He asks Ulauf holding his gear in front of him. As they have mules with them it is less as Laenvan usually has on him. But there is still his helmet and buckler besides his longbow, shortsword, beltknife and cloak.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:25 am

Uluaf looking at Laenvans gear says "My friend, you are coming because you can protect Erdrick and I as we scout with your bow. You will not be scouting but more importantly you will be Erdrick's and my safe haven should things go wrong."

With a smile Ulauf continues "Bring all your weapons, I hope that we will not be needing them but in this case better to have them and not need them than not to have them when we do!"

"We get ahead of ourselves though, cousin what do you say to our scouting ahead?"
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:42 am

A little bit disappointed Laenvan mutters more to himself than to any others: "Ah, well then, I didn't believe it anyway to be already able to scout..." He cheers up again. "Backup it is then, suits me better anyhow."

He makes a great show in putting up his helmet and metting his buckler in place.

"Lead on then, masterscout!"
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:08 pm

Erdrick says, "Wait, good Laenvan - Lord Igon asks the Gray Slayer for guidance. We must be patient and wait for his decision."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:27 pm

"Tis a sound plan as any my friends. Come join me in prayer and I will ask for the slayers blessing."

As Igon leads the group in prayer, he will invoke the ritual Jarak's lope on both Ulauf and Laenvan, sensing that his friends may have need of the Carion lords help...

As his friends turn to leave Igon says in a quiet voice.... "You must be as swift and steathy as the Wolves of Talagaad my friends, quick and quiet as shadows.... if you are discovered, you must , if possible kill them. If Arren discovers what we plan to do or his Earl, they will act to stop us.... Sarajin be with you."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:50 am

Ulauf raising from his knee says "Thankyou for your blessing cousin. Know that when we return no one will know of our presence near the village."

"Come my friends, let us make use of what light there is for we have much work to do this day."

With that Ulauf gathers together his gear waits for his companions to do the same and with directions from Erdrick heads off towards Gothwys.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:24 am

Getting up from his knees too Laenvan has shed all playfullness and seem to have become an other man - a professional and veteran of many battles. He has the same uneary aura around him that the Selds have seen at the battle of Fjaga. With his typicall long stride he follows Ulauf after having given his leave by a simple nod to the rest of the warband.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:30 pm

Ulauf, Laenvan, and Erdrick head off to scout Gowys.

[GM: I shall shortly open up a new thread in the L&U forum. For those remaining behind, talk amongst yourselves. :wink: ]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:26 am

After about two hours, the scouts return ...
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:10 am

Laenvan looks a bit ashamed that he needed so long to track their own footsteps back but Ulauf encourages him with a broad grin and a clap on his shoulder.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:03 pm

[GM: Tracking is a skill that takes at least one month to open assuming that's basically a full-time activity and there's a qualified instructor available for a minimum of thirty hours a month. It'll take some time. 8) ]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:54 pm

On our arrival back at camp Ulauf tells Igon that all appears normal in the village and that we have found a way around the town.

We should rest up for a few hours and wait until nightfall before we leave...
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:59 pm

Igon nods and smiles at his kin. "Well done my friends!" Turning to the others.. "Let heed Ulauf's advice and get some rest, I'l sit the first watch..."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Ulauf says "I will take the last watch. Let us make sure that we are prepared to leave just after nightfall. Soran make sure the mules are ready to go then, please."

With that Ulauf gives his gear a quick check and then finds a comfortable place to lie down and tries to get a little rest.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:29 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:Ulauf says "Soran make sure the mules are ready to go then, please."

Soran mumbles something akin to an affirmative.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:23 am

Matt wrote:[GM: Tracking is a skill that takes at least one month to open assuming that's basically a full-time activity and there's a qualified instructor available for a minimum of thirty hours a month. It'll take some time. 8) ]


With a smile and a pat on the shoulder Ulauf says "Do not worry my friend, you will soon pick it up and before long probably out tracking me."
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:42 pm

Laenvan looks at Ulauf with a skeptical eye. "So so, my dear friend. Are you really believing what you are saying? I will not believe that I will surpass you someday in tracking. This is as unlikly as you surpassing me with the longbow." With a broad grin he returns Ulauf clasp. "But thanks, for cheering me up!"
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:29 am

The rest of the daylight bleeds away and sooner than expected it is dark. Every man is prepared to move, and only await the signal ...
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:51 am

Ulauf looks around the group seeing that all is in readiness.

He looks toward Igon and says "I think it is time, tis dark enough now that we should be able to pass unseen."

"We should make best speed till we near the village, Soran do you best to keep the mules quiet, our very lives may depend on it."

We head out in our usual formation....
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:16 am

"Before we start" Laenvan suggests "Lets cover a bit our faces and hands." With that he takes some earth and smears it in his faces and over his handbacks. "It makes us more difficult to be seen..." He then checks his arms, strings his longbow and takes his place in the marchorder.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron