Halane 12-14, 730 - Crossing the Jahl Range

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 12-14, 730 - Crossing the Jahl Range

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:29 pm

The night passes without incident.

The following morning it's cold, the temperature having dropped precipitously over the last two days, and a light rain falls. The warband - having slept a little later than usual to make up for the forced march in the night - eats a quick meal and then breaks camp. They start along the trail, but it's slow going in the rain. Towards midday, the rain lets up, and while welcome to the shivering group, does not alleviate the muddy trail itself.

(It should be noted that no merchants have been sighted, neither along the road, in Gowys, nor in Geldeheim. The Fur Road caravan should have already arrived at Geldeheim, and it appears that the conflict has disrupted the trade somehow.)

As the warband stops for a rest and a meal ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:28 am

While eating Laenvan stomps around to keep warm. He shakes his head while saying to now one in particular: "Trade... it's always the trade who becomes one of the first casualities when an armed conflict smolders..."
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:23 pm

Uluaf grabs some food from the mules and restocks his own supply that he is carrying.

Uluaf says to Igon "If this weather keeps up we might need to purchase some warmer clothing in Leriel." and to Laenvan "You are right trade and children always seem to bear the brunt during war."

Ulauf suggest we not stop to long, after eating we should get moving again we still have a long way to go and we are still in 'enemy' territory.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 pm

As Igon finishes his meal, he turns to Ulauf... Leriel, Cousin? Last I heard that caer was held by Jarins... It may be wise to pass it by quickly without them noticing us. Even though we have had little information on the Princes activities, I'm sure we can assume that they are overjoyed with the news of our problems with the Thardins... "

Taking a peek at Soran, then continuing on in a quieter tone. "I do not trust the Jarins, any Jarin in these times Cousin. They have already shown their willingness to throw their lot in with the southrons.... it would be prudent to cover them all in the same coat of paint until proven otherwise."

With that Igon carries on gathering his gear and assisting the others with theirs...

**Edit**I just realized that we took Leriel at the start of the campaign... I can't remember if the Jarin took it back, if so then forget the above and assume that Igons just nods and is in agreement with Ulauf. :wink: **
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:45 pm

[GM: Yes, your last intelligence was that Leriel was in Ivinian hands - Lord Hunris Hammarkel of Shien and his men control the castle. There's been no indication that has changed.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:56 am

The warband resumes the march, and all is well. There is no further sign of rain, and the cold weather even seems to be hardening the mud of the trail a bit, easing the passage.

After several hours of wending their way along the winding trail, Ulauf, up front, notices something moving up along the face of the slope. It is difficult to be sure what it might be as the incline is dotted with coniferous trees, but whatever it - or they - are, they're too small to be men. Wild goats are not uncommon, and since it would be nearly impossible to scale the slope, there is nothing to do but move on. The warband remains vigilant.

Scarcely an hour later, the sun has set below the crest of the mountains, yet still casts an eerie light above them. The warband makes camp.

Thoughts?
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:26 pm

[PLayer Question - Are there any known Gargun Tribes in this area? We are pretty deep in the wilds now]

Same routine I guess... 2 gaurds on at the sametime... the question is do we keep a cold camp?
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:05 pm

Igon Seld wrote:[PLayer Question - Are there any known Gargun Tribes in this area? We are pretty deep in the wilds now]

[GM Answer - known? Not by you, but then you're not all that familiar with the area. There are certainly rumors that the Jahl Mountains are home to gargun. And goats. :wink: ]
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:30 pm

Matt wrote:[GM Answer - known? Not by you, but then you're not all that familiar with the area. There are certainly rumors that the Jahl Mountains are home to gargun. And goats. :wink: ]

I guess I should have worded that differently. :oops:

Igon, who has not travelled this route at all I believe (travelled by ship the last time he left orbaal) turns to the others as camp is getting set up... "what news is known of the fowlspawn in this region? We never encountered any on our march down here with the Royal Army but as a small band we may seem a better target."
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:23 pm

"I do not know, I have only heard stories of these 'things'. This is the furthest from home I have been."

"As for a cold camp I think we should build a fire but not light it until we need it. It might get cold tonight and we may need it to keep warm or it may keep these foulspawn at bay or provide light by which we can fight them."

"Let us gather some wood and have oil ready to start the fire with.."

Ulauf sits down next to Igon.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:05 pm

[GM: Let me know if I should move on or if you guys are still in 'conference.']
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:46 pm

I don't think that this conversation will have much bearing on what will happen directly, it is sort of a 'work in progress' so although the conversation in the Clan Moot may take place over the one night I think we can move the story along......

At least thats what I think.....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:49 am

[OOC - As soon as I have it cleared with our GM I will post in the Clanmoot about the proper etiquette and adress... which should be in the next 24 hours. I don't think this will influence the storyline at last not right now. So, go on dear GM]
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:38 pm

The warband makes camp. All through the night, eerie sounds reverberated about the mountains. Each watch noted them, but nothing approached the camp. Yet between the wolves, the owls, and sounds less identifiable, the night passed fitfully, and no one feels fully rested in the morning. All are pleased that the weather is bright and clear, though still very cold indeed.

After a light breakfast of bread, cheese, and ale, the group sets off. The trail continues to wend its way through the mountains, and once more during the morning, movement is seen high on the slopes amidst the firs. Once more, it's too high and the slope too steep for a reconnaissance. Someone mutters "I'll be glad to get out of this gorge" and the group continues on.

The midday meal is eaten quickly, with a watch set. The rest too short, the warband still moves on. They make way as quickly as they can. As the sun begins to set, the gorge lessens, and the terrain becomes more familiar rocky mountain crags. Yet, now that there are crags, there is some concern that if the movers on the slopes are not goats, this is perfect ambush territory.

Next steps?
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:23 pm

Find a site for camp that we can defend like a crack in the rocks or such...
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:04 pm

The warband continues to move, but much more slowly. Ulauf checks each large boulder on the trail - covered by Laenvan with Igon and Jorst ready to move in. Progress is slow.

Igon instructs Ulauf to keep an eye out for a defensible camp, and just before sunset, a perfect site is found. A curved inlet in the rock, with an easily reached lookout point that overlooks the trail, keeps the camp in sight, and provides cover from below and from above. Charred earth indicates it's been used before, though not recently.

Any special instructions for the night (it's the 13th FYI).
Matt
The GM

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:07 am

Dragoran looks around approvingly, even his untrained eyes can see that Igon and Ulauf have picked a very beneficial camp site for the party.

"I shall go and gather kindling and the like for our fire, and take a quick.." Dragoran clears his throat ".. nature break."

Dragoran moves off a small distance from camp, still within shouting distance and finds a decent location for business matters.
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:25 am

After Ulauf has found the campsite he does a quick look around to see if a fire was lit whether it could be seen outside our campsite. If possible Ulauf will suggest a small fire if it will not be seen from outside the camp.

Ulauf will conduct his usual walk around the camp with Laenvan to check for any recent sign. Along the way he will look for suitable positions from which the archers in the group could move to if anything happens during the night so that they can fire into any attackers.

On returning to the camp Ulauf will inform the group of any sites he may have found and whether or not a fire is OK.

After a meal (maybe hot this night) using rations from the mules Ulauf moves away from the group and practices with the longbow for sometime and before long he sits down with Dragoran and begins to tell him the story of the battle of Fjaga.....

After finishing the story Ulauf unfolds his sleeping gear and prepares to sleep before his watch.....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:06 am

As Ulauf has already set the routine for the evening he follows nearly his every mouve, except that while Ulauf prepares for sleep Laenvan takes his watch with his "special" routine...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:16 am

During Laenvan's watch, there is the unmistakable sound of a horn in the distance to the north. It is not answered, not is it winded a second time.
Matt
The GM

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:48 am

After yet another 'nature break' Dragoran comes back to the camp. Finding the sentry on duty, he walks up to them. "I am unsure how to explain this, but I am certain that we are being watched. By whom I cannot say, but assuredly as the sun rises, there are on eyes on us"

With that Dragoran heads to the outskirts of the camp again.
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:07 am

Having heard the horn and Dragorans rapport, Laenvan is still more alert than before... to be sure he awakes Igon to report.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:02 am

Unless woken by the sound of the horn, Igon will listen to Laenvan's report with concern... after switching spots, Igon will unsheat his sword to keep it handy and double checks his armour.

OOC - what is the weather like? Clears skys? Or rain?

Igon will also keep a close eye on the mules, trusting that their senses are better than his in the dark of night....

[/b]
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Ulauf on hearing the horn wakes. "What was that?" he asks.

On getting an answer he uses the time to pack up his sleeping gear, string his longbow and get his gear packed up.

Ulauf turns to Erdrick and says "How many days to Leriel?" On getting an answer from Erdrick he then turns to the rest of the group "I would suggest that everyone grap [that many] days rations from the mules and carrying them in your pack, just in case we have to run and leave the mules the behind. I think that was a hunting horn, so someone or something is on the hunt and I don't plan on being the quarry!"

Ulauf after grabbing his rations moves around the camp looking for possible places where a hunter might try to sneak up on the camp.

As he moves around the camp and approaches Soran he says "Make sure your mules are packed and ready to go, if you are told to leave them do not hesitate and make sure you stay with the group."

Ulauf once he has taken care of business moves to stand beside Igon and Jorst.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:00 pm

OOC - I guess we need to know if everyone is awake when the horn sounds. If so then Ulauf's advice is sound and Igon will prepare to move with just what he can carry.

How far was the horn? Could we tell? I sugest putting the fire out completly, especially if it's a clear night.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot