Halane 15, 730 - Approaching Leriel

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 15, 730 - Approaching Leriel

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm

By midnight, the fog had mostly burned off as it began to rain. The warband shivered in the wet cold, but except for the occasional shriek of a nocturnal predator in the air, the night passes uneventfully.

Come morning, the rain has intensified, and the group - soaked and glum - moves off down the now muddy trail. Ulauf believes the rain will continue throughout the day. The trek is slow, and the mules mire more than once. By mid-afternoon, the warband has reached the outskirts of Leriel and a Jarin village - called Huls according to Erdrick - looms into view. The village seems deserted. Neither man nor beast can be seen, nor are there any wisps of smoke coming out of the cottages. The manor house, not much more than a cottage itself save for its low surrounding earthworks, also appears deserted. The buildings seem intact, and there is no evidence of destruction from this vantage point.

Igon, Jorst, Ulauf, Laenvan, and Sven passed this way when King Alegar attacked Leriel a few months back. The village was fully populated at that time as was the one other on the road to Leriel.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm

Ulauf will lead the group down the road towards the village motioning for Erdrick to move to the left side of the trail and for Laenvan to move to the right while Ulauf holds the centre.

He motions for the rest of the group to slow down a little to increase the gap between the main body and the scouts.

Drawing his axe and unslinging his shield Ulauf moves slowly towards the village checking the trail for any sign as he cautiously moves towards the village.

Making sure that Laenvan and Erdrick do not move to far forward maintaining a line as we advance on the village.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:17 am

The warband enters the village. Not a soul in sight.

While there is an hour or two of daylight left, it's not enough to reach Leriel, and there is one additional village in between.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:38 am

On entering the village Ulauf says "It might be worth our while to stop here tonight and use one of these cottages for tonight."

"The rain does not look like it is going to let up tonight and having a nice roof and a fire tonight sounds like a good idea to me." As Ulauf opens the door to one of the nearby cottages, axe and shield still in hand.

"Soran can stable the animals in the barn. What I know of these beasts it will do them good to give them a break for a few hours, maybe even use the last few hours to graze them in the commons."

"The extra few hours of daylight will allow us to dry our things and check our gear before we head to Leriel."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:29 am

"Sound plan, young Ulauf. But before we settle down, let us check each building and also the surroundings. I will feel better afterwards." Laenvan throws in.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:07 am

Laenvan Hawkeye wrote:"But before we settle down, let us check each building and also the surroundings.

We will conduct a search of the manorhouse first and if it is safe move in there. "As always." Ulauf says looking at Laenvan with a smile.

"We should then search the remainder of the village."

"Laenvan and I will take a look around the village and see if we can find out what has happened here. Perhaps Jorst, Sven and Vagnar can search the buildings."

Ulauf looks towards Dragoran and Erdrick and says "Maybe you can get a fire going, while Soran tends the mules. Igon you should stay here and watch over us from this vantage point."

"Laenvan and I will help with the search of the buildings if we cannot find out what has happened here."

"Take care everyone, let us not drop our guard just yet."

With that Ulauf and Laenvan head back out into the rain and begin our search....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:13 am

Huls is a good-sized settlement with around fifty cottages plus outbuildings. There is also what appears to be a small temple of Ilvir - this building has been locked and the doors secured with boards. The search consumes the remaining daylight, and nothing larger than a rat is discovered.

Most of the cottages have a few effects - pots, furniture, and the like, but little in the way of movables. Clothing, personal effects, and tools are found only here and there. The fields have not been sown with winter wheat, and there is virtually no food in the village.

The search concluded, the mules have been stabled in the manorhouse barn and a fire built in the hearth. The manorhouse is as empty as the rest of the settlment, although furniture remains in the hall. The one-story building is surrounded by a low earthwork about five feet high and has two outbuildings - one an empty stable save for the mules and the other an equally empty granary. The house itself has a hall, and a room to either side. The first is the kitchen, and the other a sleeping chamber from which all furnishings have been removed except the bedframe and mattress.
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:05 pm

Satisfied with the search and feeling a little bit more secure than before, Laenvan uses the rest to wash the dirt from him as good as possible. The wet clothes he hanges near the fire, not to disturb anybody, before he gets his second set. He looks forward to a warm meal and relaxes to his best abilities as he knows that his turn of the watch will be coming only too early... If the possibility presents itself he will be game for a little conversation...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:11 am

On returning to the manorhouse Ulauf will enter the hall and stand by the fire to warm up and help dry out his clothes.

After warming up Ulauf moves over towards his gear and opens his pack checking that everything is dry and that which is wet is left out so that it may dry.

He watches the others go about their business for awhile then says "I will go and find a place to set a watch for the night." With that Ulauf leaves the hall and disappears into the rain.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:35 pm

Uluaf enters the hall dripping with rain after leaving some 15 minutes beforehand. He makes his way over to the fireplace and stands nearby warming himself again.

Turning his back on the fire he says "Looks like the rain won't be letting up this night. There are some good places to stand guard outside that will keep you out of the rain and let you watch the manorhouse."

"The gates to the manor have been closed. So we are as safe as possible at this time."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:23 am

"Fine, Ulauf." Laenvan finishes his pipe and stows it away and makes himself ready for the watch. "As soon as you have dried up a bit I ask you to show me the places. So that I can start my watch... and you may find some sleep."
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:38 am

Ulauf makes his way to the manorhouse door and points out the vantage spots to Laenvan.

"I will have something hot on the fire for you to eat when your watch is over."

After Ulauf has shown Laenvan where the vantage points are he returns to the fire and retrieves some cooking utensils from the gear being carried by the mules and attempts to cook their first hot meal in seveal days.

After eating he will try to get some sleep before his watch....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 pm

"Allright then, I will look forward to have something warm in my belly after my watch." He turns and yells in the room. "Hey Erdrick, what are you lingering around... time to get on watch!" He twinkles impish at Ulauf as he picks quickly up some mud and forms a tiny ball... only to throw it accurately at Erdrick to hit him on his chest.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:59 pm

And so our nightly routine begins....... :?:
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Return to The Game's Afoot