Halane 17, 730 - At Leriel

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 17, 730 - At Leriel

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:25 pm

Though it rained in the night, Halane 17 dawns bright, if late. The days are getting shorter, with less than ten hours daylight each now. Sleeping in the hall proved less comfortable in some ways than camping out, but it did have the virtue of a roof to keep out the rain. Still, each man feels the cold and the wet acutely, and might be inclined to stay another day here before moving on.

What says the warband?
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:03 pm

As Laenvan gets up and starts shaving, as he does every day as far there is enough water for this luxury, he shivers in the cold. 'Why did I have to come to the north firstplace' he thinks while the sharp blade whizes around his face. 'Would be nice to stay another day to really get warm...' He smiles. 'And the girls are real cute... but not only the girls. Alas, we have our duty and it is urgent. So I think Lord Igon will press on, which suits me also. In Tharda at least the inns are warmer than this hall...'
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:08 pm

Laenvan Hawkeye wrote:In Tharda at least the inns are warmer than this hall...'

You mean Kaldor, right? :wink:
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:26 pm

Unless anyone in the party needs another day to recover or finish something, I would suggest that we push on. The days are getting shorter and cooler... I would rather find myself in Tashal, in an Inn, before worse weather hits the region... and we still have a long way to go before we see Tashal and that Inn.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:47 pm

Ulauf nods his head in agreement....
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:59 pm

Nodding his head Jorst says "The days are getting shorter, colder and therefore our journey will be that much more dangerous."

Looking around to make sure no one from Lord Hammarkel's court are around Jorst continues "Apart from the hospitality shown us here there was no comfort to be had, we should make use of the time given us by the Slayer and get to Tashal as quickly as possible."

Nodding in agreement Jorst continues "I agree cousin. An Inn in Tashal sounds like a fine place to winter."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:25 am

Matt wrote:
Laenvan Hawkeye wrote:In Tharda at least the inns are warmer than this hall...'

You mean Kaldor, right? :wink:

Oooops... Kaldor it is naturally! By Halea, it seems that my brain starts freezing and that the mead and ale can't keep it warm enough. Is there any stronger drink...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:44 am

Laenvan claps Jorst with a merry laugh on the shoulder. "Not only to winter winter my friend but also to retire." With a sigh and a dreamy look "Yes, with Haleas Help, and perhaps the Gery Slayer will also lend a hand, in the not so far future anymore I will own my own Inn in Tashal." Back in the present he speaks to all his companions from the warband. "And when you will come to visit me and talk about our adventures then the first drink will be on me." He packs his bundles and heads to the door where he turns back. "Come on friends, Tashal awaits us!"
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:56 am

Ulauf smiling at Laenvan says "You are an optimist my friend, I am glad you think you will live long enough to retire."

With a clap on Laenvan's shoulder Ulauf takes his position at the head of the warband, draws his cloak tightly around his shoulders and heads south towards Tashal....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:41 pm

"Hey, for what else are I fighting for and risking my skin, heh?"
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:33 pm

Looking over his shoulder he says with a smile to Laenvan "I like your optomism, my friend. Still we have survived worse. Besides, you have your Halea watching over you as the Grey Slayer watches over me, what could happen to us!"

Before leaving the group behind and beginning to scout Ulauf drops back to say to Igon "Cousin, it was a great service you gave yesterday. Surely the Grey Slayer will look upon us with favour now"
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Jorst walking beside Igon says "I agree with Ulauf, cousin, you have a wisdom about you. I think you shall be a great leader for our clan."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:17 pm

Fully reprovisioned, the warband sets out, quickly passing through the abandoned village of Orp. By midday, the group has reached Monthel, also abandoned, and they stop for a rest and a bite to eat. These have been good sized villages, and the sight of them totally empty, fields already going to seed, is disturbing. It is easy to see how Lord Hammarkel can be concerned over food in this area of the kingdom. Could all of the Jarin have migrated east? If so, where did they go, and what will become of these lands? Even in victory, it is clear that Orbaal will be years in recovering from this one.

The countryside is rough and hilly, although the trail affords reasonable going. By the end of the day, the warband has reached the banks of a small stream in sight of high ground. As it is getting dark, the warband is loathe to pass such ground without the light and so a camp is made along the banks of the stream. The water is cool, fresh, and swift, emptying as it does from the Jahls into the Anoth River.

Steps?
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:34 am

With what remains of the day Ulauf will try to find a suitable campsite. Each member of the warband should go about his relevant duties and if the light permits Ulauf will take his shortbow and quiver and set off to see if he can find an animal trail and hunt up some game that might come down to the stream to drink.

I think a fire will be a good idea tonight we are still in relative safety of Leriel and it will keep us warm during the night. Once a meal has been prepared and eaten and the watch set Ulauf will turn in for the night until his watch.

Any objections or additions???
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:58 am

Laenvan settles in the camping routine that has been established on this treck and as the sun sets he gives his praise to Halea by facing the sun and reciting an erotic poem.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:21 am

Ulauf finds some tracks, perhaps about four hours old, leading away to the north in the general direction of the trail. There appear to be quite a few separate creatures - perhaps as many as twelve - and Ulauf is pretty sure they're gargun.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:08 pm

"It might be wise to keep a good watch this night." Ulauf says on his return. "It might also be a good idea to try to screen our fire and prepare some torches too."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:45 am

Why the caution tonight Ulauf? Is anything amiss?
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:10 am

Matt wrote:Ulauf finds some tracks, perhaps about four hours old, leading away to the north in the general direction of the trail. There appear to be quite a few separate creatures - perhaps as many as twelve - and Ulauf is pretty sure they're gargun.

Who knows if they have friends in the area or they might double back...
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:21 pm

Ulauf Seld wrote:
Matt wrote:Ulauf finds some tracks, perhaps about four hours old, leading away to the north in the general direction of the trail. There appear to be quite a few separate creatures - perhaps as many as twelve - and Ulauf is pretty sure they're gargun.

Who knows if they have friends in the area or they might double back...

"Gargun have good vision at night, from what I have heard about the spawn... if these tracks are that fresh, then I would guess we are now in a hunting area used by them and they are close... if they spot our fire in their territory, we could end up in a pot as their next meal.... and that will not do my friends, to much to do still." Igon turns back to what he was doing, chuckling...
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:54 pm

Take note of Ulaufs report that Gargun may be near, he checks his arrows more toroughly than on other evenings. An when his time comes to take the watch he takes out a string at keeps it ready in his right hand together with an arrow, while the unstrung longbow is nestled in the crook of his left arm.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:41 am

Dragoran moves over to Igon, and with his hand gently guides him to the side of the camp.
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:53 pm

Dragoran and Igon return, and the warband settles into the evening routine.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Game's Afoot