Halane 18, 730 - Approaching Fegyn

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 18, 730 - Approaching Fegyn

Postby Matt » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:04 pm

The night passed without incident, and the warband rose to a low mist settling in from the direction of the Anoth River. Nevertheless, after a cold breakfast, the group moved on along the Fur Road.

The morning dragged on, and the warband, cold and with the mist penetrating their bones, longed for the warmth of the hall at Leriel. Still, they knew many people were counting on them, and this drove them forward. As midday approached, and with the mist still swirling about them, the warband approached the village of Fegyn. The mist was not so thick that they could not discern the low figures moving about the village. These were not Jarin peasants - of whom there was no sign - these were gargun.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:40 am

Dragoran leans over and whispers into Igon's ear, he then turns and runs back they way they came.
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:55 am

Ulauf drops into a crouch and begins to string his longbow.

Once his weapon has been prepared he takes a closer look at these creatures. Trying to discern their numbers and a way to sneak around this group without attracting any attention.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:20 am

Laenvan may have been slower to crouch down but the moment his knee hit the ground his longbow is already strung and a war-arrow is nocked. Taking in that Ulauf is scanning the village proper, Laenvan starts a leftside turn to take in their surroundings... Gargun may be nasty, brutish and short but they know how to lay an ambush...
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:25 pm

Igon unsheathes IceHammer and looks around for cover and a position to fight from that is large enough for the group.....
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:08 pm

The terrain is low and flat. To the right (east) is the Anoth, flowing swiftly eastwards towards the delta. To the left, in very short order, the rocky crags and escarpments of the Jahl foothills stretch away. Any number of ambushers could lurk there, and to leave the road to travel through that area would be tactically reckless. The mist is not thick enough to cover passage, and indeed, is barely noticeable at all at this point.

The orcs in question - about a dozen are visible, though some may be inside the buildings - appear to be exploring the village. They are short - about 4' or so - and can be seen to have tawny-white fur. Some of them have dogs. There is no sign of the Jarin or of battle.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:59 pm

At the sight of the dogs Laenvan supresses at the last moment to swear. Quickly he checks for the direction of the wind. Dogs are never good. He draws two other war-arrows as to rise his rate of fire when the moment comes.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:26 pm

OOC - Matt, How much does the PC's know about gargun and the sub-species? Just by your discription, I as a player know what they are, but does Igon or the others?
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:04 pm

[GM: Since they came up in no one's pregame, I'd have to say very little. What they are on a generic level - orcs, and that they're typically violent. Differences between the sub-species, perhaps even that there are subspecies, I'd have to say no. You would know they inhabit the high mountain ranges, perhaps have heard of swarms, but nothing else.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:42 pm

"Acursed foulspawn!" Jorst mutters under his breath. As he says this he straps his helmut on and unslings his shield hoisting it up on his arm as his right draws forth his battlesword....

Once he has prepared himself he moves slightly forward of Igon.
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:46 pm

Ulauf turning his head so that he can see the gargun speaks in hushed tones to the group"If we are to fight let us do it with the river at our backs and not this vermin."

To Laenvan Ulauf whispers "Try to find their leaders and bring them down!"

Ulauf begins to move silently towards the riverbank. Longbow ready, arrow nocked. If a gargun hints at being alerted then he will loose an arrow at that target.

Watching that the rest of the group follows, if they delay Ulauf will stop and wait......
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:05 pm

Igon nods in agreement and starts moving toward the river, while at the same time making sure his helm is properly straped on as with the rest of his armour....

"We can not run... especialy since they have dogs. Our only chance if they decide to attack is to make it far to costly for them to continue the attack. If we get a chance, we should try to gain one of the buildings... Laenvan, Ulauf... if any of them have horns, make sure they don't have a chance to sound them..."

Igon will move up to Jorst, laying a hand on his shoulder (time permitting) and invoke the prayer of "Suerlji's Defence".
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:28 pm

There is little to no breeze today (if there were, the mist would have burned off long before), but what puffs there are come from the north. Thus, you are upwind of the dogs.

As the warband cautiously moves into position, the gargun find something. It does appear that some of them have been searching buildings, and four emerge from one hovel herding a man before them. He does not appear to be Jarin, but rather perhaps an Ivinian merchant. He is bent slightly, and walks with difficulty - he may be wounded. He is prodded to the village common, where he is forced to his knees, and several of the orcs begin to question him. The dogs yelp and snarl, snapping with their fangs ...
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:29 pm

Arriving back at the camp, just as the troupe moves off to the bank, Dragoran follows. Holding his staff in one hand, crooked over the other, he makes his way as silently as possible to a position behind and to the side of Jorst and Igon.
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:52 pm

"Cousin, we cannot leave that man to such a fate."

With Igon's agreement Ulauf will loose an arrow at one of the gargun conducting the questioning...
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:55 am

On hearing the request to fire, Dragoran pulls an item out of his bag and clutches it in his left hand, whilst the right hand still holds the staff.
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:11 am

Heading Igon's advice Laenvan spots for a gargun with a horn or any other device with which he may alert other garguns in the area. If he finds no such individual he tries to make out one gargun who seems to be a leader... or a shaman as either his next or his only target.

(OOC - If there is a "musician" under the gargun then he will be Laenvans first target, followed by a chief and third choice shaman).
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:23 am

Jorst moves so that he slightly behind the three archers (Ulauf, Laenvan and Erdrick) but places himself in front and to the left of Igon so that he can intercept any gargun heading for either the archers or Igon.

Jorst whispers to Vagnar "Stay behind Igon and try to keep out of harms way. We may need your assistance after this."

Jorst can be heard saying a quick prayer to Sarajin under his breath.
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:43 am

Igon, apon finishing his prayer looks at the site before him. As the anger rises in him, he wonders if this course of action is wise, the cost to his mission... but then as the fowlspawn force the man to his knees, that thought is pushed aside. He says in a clear, cold voice.... "Kill them."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:06 pm

"Kill them!"

The moment this order reaches Laenvans ears his first arrow is already on the way, quickly followed by a second and third before the first has reached his goal.

Laenvan falls in his trained rhythm as a longbow archer and arrow after arrow finds with deadly accuracy his goal...
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:53 pm

Ulauf on hearing Igon give the order looses the arrow he has nocked.

Leaving the deadly hail of fire to Laenvan Ulauf with the hunters mind searches out each target. Looking for any with horns, leaders or dog handlers. Carefully aiming at each.

(With the thought in the back of his mind that if they charge the group he will keep firing until with 50' and then drop his bow and draw his sword and shield and stand to protect Laenvan and the others)
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:41 pm

Jorst having finished his prayer to Sarajin, spins his sword in his hand and awaits the gargun. With the thinking of a warrior he checks each flank in turn to make sure that the group is not encircled while the archers deliver their deadly rain....
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:58 pm

Fegyn as noted is a village on the Anoth River. The warband now has a position on the open road, between the two southern fields (unsown) south of the village approximately 300 feet from the village square (more like an oval with the thin part running north-south). To the northeast, a thin stand of trees barely conceals a row of fishing cottages and just visible to the north of them, is the manorhouse, a simple wooden affair with a low wooden palisade. To the west of the manorhouse is the main part of the village, neat cottages lining the road and the square. The closest cottage to the warband is about midway between them and the gargun. to the northwest, and beginning within a few dozen feet, the terrain rises at least fifty feet in elevation over approximately 400 feet of distance, continuing in craggy, boulder-strewn rolling hills - excellent goat and sheep-herding land. At the moment the arrows are loosed, the gargun do not appear to have seen the warband, or, if they have, they've taken no notice.

Laenvan is the first to let fly with an arrow, followed quickly by Ulauf and Erdrick. The distance and size of the targets make it difficult to discern specific items like horns, and even Laenvan has to content himself with but a single arrow loosed before the gargun react for it is only the first gargun taken unawares. [GM: Like the dramatic idea of the third arrow being loosed before the first hits the target, but I must adjudicate somehow and HM3 is right here near my desk ... ;)]

Laenvan's arrow hits the first gargun in the lower back, causing him to let out a shriek of pain and surprise before pitching forward. The other gargun react just in time to dodge the next arrows. Ulauf might have hit one but for that, and Erdrick's arrow too might have found a home. The archers quickly loose another volley, Laenvan's arrow finding purchase in an orc's chest, though the orc keeps his feet. Ulauf too hits one and this one takes the arrow full in his cheek - he goes down in a spurt of blood. Erdrick again misses.

At this point, the orc nearest the kneeling Ivinian draws a weapon and strikes the helpless man, who crumbles to the ground. Four of the other gargun pull out shortbows as the remaining ten retreat in the direction of the hills.

At this point, two gargun are down and one is wounded. Next?
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:28 pm

Ulauf gives Laenvan a quick smile and says "One down apiece, my friend." Ulauf will try to keep the man protected by shooting any gargun that approach him. If they leave the man be, Ulauf will attempt to bring down the gargun with bows.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:22 pm

(OOC: How far away are the gargun? Is it 400 feet, or less? And how much is one hex?)
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron