Halane 19, 730 - Crossing the Anoth River

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 19, 730 - Crossing the Anoth River

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:39 pm

The night passed without incident - everyone half expected gargun treachery if not Jarin, so it could not be called restful. Indeed, the warband woke tired, and a little cranky. Things typically passed off with good humor were now the cause of dark looks, and there was a sense of relief when breakfast was over and the group readied to leave in the manor courtyard.

An early morning mist had receded as the rain came, light but adding to the dour mood nonetheless. Igon deputed Vagnar and Dragoran to look after the two surviving mules, and some time passed before the load from the dead mule could be redistributed. Even so, nearly one hundred pounds of supplies had to be distributed amongst the two-footed members of the band. It was nearly mid-morning by the time the warband set out.

Fegyn was the last village before crossing the Anoth River, and there wouldn't be another one until the warband reached the outskirts of Olokand. To the north, the impressive peaks of the Jahls poked out from mist and clouds high above, while just to the south, the Anoth burbled on it s way to the sea. The warband little noticed - wet, tired, and contending with balky mules, they just wanted to press on. It took nearly four hours to reach the ford over the Anoth, and the group was dismayed to find that the rain over the last few weeks had apparently swelled the river. Instead of a ford passable with just a foot or so of water, they would have to traverse a river running several feet higher than usual. The water was nearly waist deep, the current strong, and no one was certain of the mules' footing as it was difficult to see the bottom ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:11 pm

Igon lets out a sigh and mutters under his breath.... after a self indulgent moment he turns to his companions....

"My friends, it seems that fate has taken an interest in us and not in a kindly way... this water looks far to deep and fast to chance crossing at this time.":

Looking around for a stick, Igon takes it and plants it at the edge of the river.

"Lets us see if the river is still rising... maybe it has already creasted, and we will be able to cross in a few days."

With that he turns and looks for a likely spot to make camp...
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Ulauf seeing what Igon has planned says "Stay here cousin, I will have a look around and try find a comfortable place to camp..."

With that Ulauf does a quick look around and finding the right direction heads off to find a campsite.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Erdrick looks perplexed. "Lord Igon," he says. "I don't mean to contradict your decision, but I think we can pass. To be sure, it may be more dangerous that we would like, but I've traveled this route before and have crossed the river when it was in a similar condition. In the true viking spirit, I say let's cross!"
Matt
The GM

Postby Vagnar Granier » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:05 pm

Vagnar comments "If we intend to wait for a time, and it would do no harm to at least determine if the river is rising or falling, perhaps one of the archers could begin to give me a few basics? I see no choice but to learn a bit more about defense and obviously I would be wiser to try the bow than the axe."

Vagnar then ostentatiously shrugs his not very broad shoulders, as if to comment on his modest size.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:53 pm

Ulauf looks at Laenvan and says "I am usually busy with scouting and hunting right now. Perhaps you should teach him, you did such a good with me..." a hint of smile comes across Ulauf's face.

Turning to Vagnar he continues "Besides he is the better teacher..."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:04 am

Turning to Erdrick... "You think we can safely cross with all our gear and our mules? Time is pressing and I do not want to delay, but neither do I want haste to push us into folly... Mayhapes we can test it and then string a line across if needed?"
Last edited by Igon Seld on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:07 am

"My lord I can guarantee nothing. I say that I have passed such before, and I know our mission is pressing." He looks to the sky. "Who can say what the weather will be? Yet we approach winter - surely it will get worse before it gets better?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:52 am

Dragoran walks back to his mule, checks all the strappings, grabs the mules face and proceeds to talk to it.
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:35 am

Ulauf sensing some hesitation amongst the group heads towards the river dropping his pack on the riverbank he heads out into the water using his spear to test the depth of the water as he advances.

He will attempt to gain the other side provided the river does not seem too deep or fast.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:12 am

Igon calls out to his cousin... "Ulauf! Let us tie a rope to you in case you fall!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:51 pm

Ulauf pauses while the water is still shallow and nods his head "Very well, good idea. But let us hurry."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:03 pm

Sven hands Igon a rope, who loops it and tosses it to Ulauf. Knotting it around his waist, Ulauf sets off across the ford. The ford itself, a firm bottom with many large, flat stones for footing, seems unaffected by the swift current. He makes his way out further, those on the bank watching intently. The water is very cold, and the rain doesn't help matters. Ulauf braces his scant frame against the current, and pushes on - the water now up to his belly. Slowly, he makes his way to the other bank, coming up out of the water with exagerrated, tired steps. Ulauf is thoroughly soaked and shivering.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:26 pm

Ulauf waving his arm to the rest of the group "Come On. The water is deep but the footing is sure and the current is not so swift and can someone bring my pack....."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:45 pm

Igon smiles and grabs Ulauf's pack.. "lets go before it gets worse."
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:16 pm

Holding the rope until the group crosses, Ulauf has an eye out for a likely campsite.

Thinking, we are going to need a fire now or else we shall all die from cold.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:48 pm

Dragoran hoists his pack, grabs his mule and follows Ulauf and the band through the ford.
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Vagnar Granier » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Vagnar hefts his pack and leads the first mule into the stream. Hopefully his head will be above water... :shock:
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:50 pm

With Igon leading the way, the rest of the warband begins to cross the ford. The bone-chilling cold of the water hits them each in turn: Dragoran, Vagnar, Jorst, Sven, Erdrick, and Laenvan bringing up the rear. Each struggles against the current - Vagnar and Dragoran the more so as the mules do not like the coldness of the water and they bray loudly. As Dragoran attempts to pull his mule, it balks and its hooves skitter off a large stone. The mules slides downstream while Dragoran loses his footing and falls, plunging backwards into the water!

Seconds fly by before it becomes clear he's not coming up, though he can still be seen under the water.

[GM: Added Jorst in the edit.]
Last edited by Matt on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Vagnar Granier » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:11 pm

Hastily wrapping the mule's lead rope around one wrist Vagnar dives under to seize Dragoran! :shock:
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:01 pm

Vagnar dives below the surface of the river, and barely grabs Dragoran by the scruff of his tunic. However, he can't quite pull the unconscious man to the surface. Vagnar manages to let out a "help!"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:08 pm

Jorst struggles through the current to give assistance to Vagnar bringing the other end of the rope along with him.

As Jorst nears Vagnar he says "Good grab, I think if he gets out of this he might owe you an ale or two." Finishing his comment off with a smile.

Noticing that Dragoran is unconcious Jorst lowers his other hand into the water to grap at Dragoran's clothes and haul him free.....
Last edited by Jorst Seld on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:10 pm

Jorst's strength added to Vagnar's pulls Dragoran to safety. Somehow, Vagnar's mule also made it to the other bank along with the rest of the warband. Dragoran's mule however, having lost its footing, slipped downriver from the ford and is now being swept away by the current.

Vagnar sees to the unconscious man ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:22 pm

Once the warband has gained the other bank Ulauf says "This just keeps getting better. Two mules gone, one with everything on it. Now we stand every chance of freezing to death."

"Lucky we have the Grey Slayer watching over us cousin or I fear we might well have met our end."

"I will go and start a fire neary so that we do not freeze to death."

Finding a suitable campsite Ulauf changes into warm clothes and then looks to start a fire and with daylight left builds it larger than normal needing the warmth it generates and with nearby dropwood attempts to build a 'clothes line' so that the warband can dry their wet clothes.

Once the immediate threat of freezing to death has been reduced Ulauf will look to securing the campsite and perhaps getting in a spot of hunting. A hot meal might do wonders for his (and his companions) morale. Plus the hunting will take his mind off the warbands misfortune.
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:25 pm

Jorst will give any assistance Vagnar requires to help Dragoran. Helping to carry his prostrate form towards the fire that Uluaf has started to build.

After changing into dry clothes Jorst will assist in any way he can...
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot