Halane 19, 730 - Crossing the Anoth River

The Public Area for the PBF

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:27 pm

Making sure everyone gets out and up to dry land, and seeing that Dragoran is in good hands, Igon runs along the rivers bank following the mule in hopes that it may make it to shore...
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:39 pm

Jorst yells to Igon, Sven and Erdrick "Igon take Sven and Erdrick with you!!!"
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:58 pm

Not stopping, Igon calls out... "Sven! Erdrick! Come with me.... we still may salvage this...." And with that Igon speeds up hoping that the mule will swim to shore... on this side of the river.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:21 pm

The mule thrashes briefly as it sweeps off the ford and into the deeper water of the river. Here the current gains strength from the concentrated rocks behind and the mule tries to swim but is pulled under. Once it comes up, its eyes terror-stricken and then goes under again. Running along the bank, the three vikings look in vain for the mule to surface again, and it is only a few hundred feet further down, that they catch sight of it. The mule has been caught by a fallen, half-submerged tree - almost a makeshift weir - and they hasten towards it.

The mule is drowned, its eyes glassy and its tongue swelling. Somewhere along the bottom must lie most of its kit, but there are several bags and wrappings which are still attached to its harness. Sven shinnies out over the tree, tying a rope around the mule's neck, and the three haul it to the bank. The waxed leather bags have protected the cheeses and salted meat, but all of the bread is soaked and ruined. They estimate that only a few days of food has been salvaged.

"It look like Ulauf will need to do some hunting," said Erdrick.

"It's that or mule-meat," replied Sven.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:23 pm

When they have settled finally down after this fateful day, Laenvan ponders over Vagnar's request to teach him how to use the bow. Having never used a shortbow by himself Laenvan hesitates for some moments. When there is still enough light he will fetch the Ulauf's shortbow with the quiver and searchs for a spot to get used to this weapon... after twenty or more arrows he feels fairly familiar with it and handles the differencies to the longbow. He shakes his head. There is no comparision to the longbow, neither in the power nor the range nor the accuracy... but at his limited range he proves to be as fatal as a longbow. So Laenvan will start Vagnar's instruction as soon as possible.
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:43 am

[GM: Unless there's anything else, I'll assume the warband camps on the east bank of the Anoth for the night.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Vagnar Granier » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:43 am

Vagnar takes the necessary actions to treat Dragoran, including setting up multiple smaller fires and positioning our equipment to help reflect heat back at him. He walks briefly to where the dead mule was found...
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:47 pm

Although it is still the middle of the day, the soaking from the crossing and Dragoran's condition suggest it's better to spend the night here. As the fires are lit, and everyone dries out, an inventory of the food is taken.

The food that the warband is carrying, plus that of the surviving mule and that recovered, amounts to about 45 mandays of food for the warband (a little more than six days) and 10 days of fodder for the mule (assuming grazing in the evenings). Assuming no further delays, it's at least eleven days to Olokand.

Should the warband wish to butcher the dead mule, it will yield approximately 300 lbs. of edible meat, which would be more than enough to carry the warband through to Olokand (only about 160 or so lbs. would be needed though carrying it might present a problem). It would take another day to butcher the mule. Alternatively, some hunting would be required six or so days from now, and one good-sized deer could provide the necessary remaining food if some foraging is also done.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:08 pm

No point in letting good meat go to waste, lets clean and dress the mule.
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Vagnar Granier » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:41 pm

I agree but I also intend to see if I can find any useful/tasty plant items in the area. Meanwhile, I found a satchel of sopping wet bread. Perhaps it can be salvaged or, at worst, we can use the bag.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
User avatar
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm
Location: New Jersey

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:02 pm

[GM: The specific skill for locating 'tasty' (read: edible) plants is foraging which Vagnar does not have. However, the sack may come in handy as the group will need something to carry the excess mulemeat in.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:41 pm

Ulauf will spend the rest of the day constructing some shelters for the warband so that although cold we will have some shelter.

Taking Vagnars advice I will try to spend some time foraging as I no longer need to hunt.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:49 pm

[GM: Ulauf can certainly forage, but there is the issue of weight. There is roughly 160 lbs. of mulemeat that will need to be carried - and there is no one to do that but the warband. Further, as Ulauf is the only person familiar with butchering a carcass, he will need to choose between that task and any other such as building shelters or foraging for veggies. As I noted above the mulemeat will fill out the dietary need.

In other words, it will not be necessary to forage and/or hunt unless the group decides to leave the mulemeat behind.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:28 am

Let me concentrate on butchering the carcass.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:31 am

While Ulauf is butchering the carcass, Jorst will attempt to build some shelters to provide some cover from the elements.

He will ask Ulauf for assistance if he gets stuck....
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:40 am

All save Dragoran and Vagnar have sufficient skill to build lean-tos and what. It takes a while to gather enough materials, but by late afternoon, there is enough to build three crude lean-tos which will keep most of the rain and wind out. With Sven's assistance to dispose of the offal, Ulauf has sectioned most of the mule, and by this point, has begun to roast some of the mulemeat, starting with what would be the choicest bits on a deer. The rest of the butchering and roasting will have to take place in the morning as that's the only way to preserve the meat out here.

Dragoran awakes an hour or so after the crossing, none the worse for wear, save for a nasty headache which largely dissipates by nightfall.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:38 am

"The crossing must have been easier than first thought, since I have slept throught the whole ordeal" Dragoran said wryly.

As he raises his head from the ground he groans and clutches at it. "Although I may be mistaken somewhat. Did my mule survive?"

Having a quick scan of the area Dragoran adds with haste "My pack.. Did my pack survive? And my staff, did anyone see my staff?"
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:32 am

The mule is presently dinner, but the staff is actually wedged between the rocks of the ford and can be recovered without too much trouble. The pack is intact.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:00 pm

Once Ulauf has completed butchering the mule, he will sti quietly sit by the fire.

He looks as if he is in deep contemplation.....
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Kneeling beside his cousin Ulauf... "What troubles you cousin?"
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:16 pm

Ulauf looking up surprised says "Nothing cousin, I was thanking the Grey Slayer for giving me the courage to be the first to cross the river, the strength to be able to cross when others faltered and the fortune to have comrades to help me and give me councel in my efforts to cross."

"When we think that we have surmounted all odds on our own, it is then that the Grey Slayer is working to aid us the most. Is that no so?" Ulauf adds with a smile.

"Perhaps while our dinner cooks you would like to lead me and the others if they wish in a pray to the Grey Slayer. Once your prayer is concluded I will take another look around and make sure that we are as safe as can be. I then will take my meal."
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:51 pm

With that, a long, soggy day comes to an end. The warband beds down for the night, warm in the glow of the fire, and hopeful for the days ahead. Watches are set as usual, but the night passes without incident.

[GM: I shall open a new day tomorrow. Apologies for my slow posting this week, it's been unusually busy.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Previous

Return to The Game's Afoot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron