Halane 20-21, 730 - Along the Fur Road

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 20-21, 730 - Along the Fur Road

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:36 am

The morning of Halane 20th dawned bright and clear and cold. Ulauf looks to the sky, sniffs at the wind, and says that he thinks the rain has passed for a while. The warband then finishes the task of butchering and roasting Dragoran's unfortunate mule beneath the majestic Jahls. This chore consumes most of the morning, and those not helping butcher or roast, repack and rearrange the remaining supplies. It's clear the one mule has more fodder than he needs, so much of that is left behind, and each man must now take on an additional 15 lbs. of weight - although this will be eaten within a few days. Still, it's clear that the warband will be too heavily laden to fight effectively, and so much of the extra weight is put into sacks that can be quickly dropped.

It is in this state that the warband finally sets out again around midday, Vagnar and Dragoran taking turns leading the last mule. He seems to be aware of the other two mules are gone, and clearly doesn't want to end up like them. The group makes slow progress through the lightly forested terrain.

That evening a suitable spot is found to camp, and each man eats his fill. A song or two is attempted, but everyone is fatigued from carrying the burden, and in the end, sleep comes easily.

On the morning of the 21st, the warband breaks its fast under a clear sky, and though it is cold, everyone is grateful that the rain seems good and gone. Someone lamely gests "it'll be back, just wait a minute," but for today that doesn't seem likely. Once again, and still over-burdened, the warband moves down the Fur Road.

Soon the terrain turns hilly, and this slows progress a bit more. The mule is not so bad today, apparently as refreshed by the weather as everyone else. But in mid-afternoon, the mule suddenly balks, braying. At first, it seems it's just the mule deciding to be stubborn, but then group smells something in the air - the smell of death and decaying flesh.
Last edited by Matt on Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:00 pm

As fast as possible Laenvan drops his packs and readies his longbow. Then he takes his place in the defensive formation and waits the furhter development daring to glance once and again to Igon...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Igon Seld » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Turning to Ulauf and Laenvan.... "You lads best drop your packs and scout ahead... the rest of us will come on behind you some what with your gear."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:22 pm

Ulauf nodding his head to Igon hands of his gear to his brother.

Readying his bow, Ulauf turns to Laenvan and whispers "Stay a little behind me a little so that no tracks are disturbed. Be ready!"

With that Ulauf leads Laenvan off down the road. Moving slowly, checking for tracks and searching the surrounding area for movement or possible ambush.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:00 pm

[GM: For the moment, action will shift to Laenvan and Ulauf ...]
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:58 pm

After an astonishing short time Laenvan comes running back as fast as this treacherous terrain allows. His face is unnatural pale and it is clearly to see that this veteran mercenary has seen something that was even too much for him. Finally he stands before Lord Igon and reports with a firm voice but still gasping for air after this hard run.

"Mylord... Ulauf and I have stumbled over what is left of the Fur Caravan. It is I nightmarish sight, I warn you all - more than a battlefield sevberal days later!"

He then backs up his package and awaits Lord Igons further orders. He can't help but shudder, because he knows that he will find more than one familiar face between the dead...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Looking at Laenvan in shocked disbelief, Igon orders the group forward.... as they walk he turns to Laenvan...

"Could you tell who attacked them?"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:23 pm

"No, my Lord. As soon as we discovered the atrocity I headed back, after we were sure that there was no danger in the area, to bring you word. But as we approach the site now, Ulauf will have gathered more information for you... ähem... us." It becomes clear that Laenvan wishes to press on as fast as possible, even if he doesn't like to face the horror anew.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:02 pm

"Lead on my friend. Lead on."

As the party hurries forward, Igon thinks on what this will mean to the north. The Fur Caravan is important to his kinsmen but its loss could not be considered life threating... not to a seafaring nation such as Orbaal....

Could the Thardans have attacked it? Was this the target of that army that marched out of Tandir? Destroying the caravan would bring Kaldor into the war.... smiling to himself, Igon catches himself hoping that they find it was the Thardans who did this....
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:20 pm

The warband follows Laenvan back. It isn't far. As they approach, it becomes clear that there are numerous birds circling above - large, black crows. The warband comes out into the clearing which is surrounded by a number of low hills and sees horrific carnage.

Ulauf is looking about the dozens of bodies - mostly human but some are mules and horses. There are wagons and carts, many damaged. Some of the bodies are hacked, and arms, legs, and heads, lie about. All display serious wounds, and a number of broken weapons. The stench is incredible.

There are no goods left, and the bodies themselves are in a moderate state of decomposition. With horror, the warband realizes that some of the bodies have been gnawed and partially eaten. Not one - man or beast - has eyes. All the eyes have been pecked out. The group looks up at the carrion birds circling the dead.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:06 pm

Ulauf on seeing the arrival of the warband turns and begins to walk towards them.

He appears to be removing something from his beltpouch.

On meeting with the warband Ulauf tosses a cloak pin towards Igon. As he catches the pin Ulauf says "Jarin make if I'm not mistaken. There is little sign left that can tell me what happened or who is responsible for this."

Ulauf turning back towards the carnage continues "Everything of worth has been removed."

"Cousin whoever is responsible for this could not have happened on this caravan by chance they would have to have waited nearby for the caravans arrival. Should we spend some time here and see if we can find a campsite that might tell us more."

Looking up at the sky Ulauf continues 'There is not much more than a hour or two of daylight left you and the warband continue along the trail and Sven and I will have a look around and catch you up. We will be no more than an hour behind you."

"What do you think?"
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:39 pm

Looking around the horror that lies at his feet, Igon speaks , barely holding the anger that is rising with in from the site before him....

'I think it is nessassary that we find as much information on the attackers as possible cousin... when Laenvan first mentioned what had happened, I found myself hoping that there was a sign pointing to the Thardans, such news would help our cause in Kaldor. But now... seeing this... this butchery, it matters not who did it. All that matters is that they are found and served the justice due to them... the justice of the the headmans axe."
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Ulauf has spent the time waiting for the warband well - looking for signs of who might be responsible. Alas, the rain of the past few days has erased any trail the attackers might have made. There are no signs from the road or the surrounding area. Indeed, it seems that the rain may have inhibited the beasts of battle in their feeding.

It is still possible that the remains of an enemy camp may be found or other signs of them. But here, in this battlefield that has become a graveyard there is nothing.
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:16 am

"Very well, Sven and I will be as quick as we can." Ulauf holding his cousins shoulder. "If there is any sign of who did this cousin I will find it."

Making sure Ulauf has a torch with him in case he needs it to move through these hills at night. Ulauf gathers his gear together.

Ulauf turns to Sven and motions for him to follow saying "Lets go Sven we have much to do and little time in which to do it." Ulauf and Sven move into the surrounds to the east of the trail at first.

Looking over his shoulder Ulauf says "I will follow you soon and catch you up not long after dark. May the Slayer watch over you, be on your guard."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:02 am

Dragoran steps away from all the carnage sits himself down away from corpse and his fellow adventurers. He seems to be sitting stock still as if trying to hold down the contents of his stomach. He also appears to be talking to himself.
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:07 pm

At the sight of Dragorans strange behaviour Laenvan hastily makes the sign of warding and prays wordless his Godess for protection. With mixed feeling of anxiousness and curiosity he waits what happens next...
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:17 am

Ulauf and Sven after spending nearly a watch searching and making it back to the warband return safely to campsite.

Ulauf sits besides Igon and in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear says " We found not far off the road itself, behind several low hills to the east, a large area which has been trampled and has the remains of many campfires - I counted nine definitively, and two more possibles. Off to one side are discarded poles which looked to be newly hewn from the nearby trees, each about eight feet long or so. There are a few small items lying about - discarded scraps of leather, rope, food detritus, etc. I estimate the camp was abandoned a tenday or so ago, but is not more than a month old. There is no sign of horses or other beasts of burden."

Stopping to take a mouthful of water from his waterskin Ulauf continues "Off to one side is a small barrow of the sort that the Jarin use for burials. It is newly made of fresh earth, though the rain has 'tamped' the surface a bit. A few weeds have already begun to sprout on its face. It is about fifteen feet long by nine wide and is about six feet in height."

Ulauf then takes some food from his sack and begins to eat, in between mouthfuls he continues. "From this camp, the hills overlooking the Fur Road are in plain sight, but the road itself is not until north of the spot where the attack took place. Lookouts could have warned of the approaching caravan and then any attacking forces could have sallied around the hills to the north and to the south, effectively surrounding the caravan. A check of the hilltops reveals a few scattered arrows facing the attack site, suggesting that the attackers may have used this high ground to give their bowmen an advantage."
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:33 am

Dragoran stands and walks himself over to Igon, and whispers something in his ear before walking away from the carnage.

Still muttering to himself, a little louder this time about how he cannot handle this much bloodshed and horror, shaking his head the whole way.
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:38 pm

After Dragoran says his piece and walks off, Igon stands staring towards the northwest, his face darkening with rage....

[in a low but steady tone] "It seems that we may have to teach the Jarin a lesson on their place in the world. First the snake... then we will deal with these worms."
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:37 pm

Spending the night here, or attempting to deal with the dead may very well lead to disease.

What does the warband do next?
Matt
The GM

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:01 pm

We should move on. When we reach Kaldor we can report this to the guild and the crown.
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 pm

As the warband head off along the trail with a hand on Igons shoulder Ulauf leads Igon and Jorst ahead of the main group.

Ulauf, Igon and Jorst talk quietly with each other as they move along the road.

Ulauf glances breifly back at the main body of the warband on several occassions catching Dragorans eye briefly every now and then.

After the chat Ulauf takes up his usual position ahead of the warband scouting for signs of danger....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:38 am

Slapping his cousin on the shoulder as ulauf moves to his position, Igon slows his pace until he is beside Dragoran. Leaning toward him he speaks into his ear...
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Vagnar Granier » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:49 pm

Before we go I wish to examine the bodies. Perhaps I can find some clues as to the killers? At least I might determine if this was the work of Gargun or man. I won't take very long. Then we should be off, lest disease become a problem.
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:12 pm

Vagnar makes his examination. Nothing he finds concludes other than that the Jarin are responsible. At the very least, it is clear that neither gargun nor beast did this.
Matt
The GM

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot