Halane 30, 730 - Olokand

The Public Area for the PBF

Halane 30, 730 - Olokand

Postby Matt » Tue May 02, 2006 9:27 am

On foot, Tashal remains some two days away.

The warband approaches Olokand from the west, and as they draw nearer, they can see the impressive castle dominating the town from a small rise. Approaching the town itself, a sprawling collection of buildings along the west bank of the Kald, it becomes clear that there are at least two inns, one on the north side of the road and one on the south. Laenvan, who has been here before, suggests the inn to the south - the Standing Bear - as being more hospitable to travellers.

Taking this suggestion, the warband goes up to the gate to the inn's yard and pulls the bellrope. Before long, the gate opens and a pimply teenager pokes his head through. "Trav'lers fer the inn?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue May 02, 2006 5:27 pm

Jorst moving forward towards the door says with a smile on his face "Correct my young knave, what is the name of this establishment?"
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue May 02, 2006 11:39 pm

"This be the Standing Bear, sir. Yer mounts ostled and yer needs met. I'm Grelth - a journeyman ostler here. What be yer pleasure?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 am

Jorst moving through the gate says "Well Grelth, we seek to stable our mule for the night and our band needs a hot meal, some nice mead and a place to rest."

"Sven and Erdrick see to the stabling of the mule if you please, then join us in the inn let us enjoy this night."

Leading the warband through the gate he makes for the inn after waiting for Grelth to invite them, if no invite is made he then attempts to make his way to the inn unless challenged.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am

Grelth takes the mule towards the stable while indicating the inn itself for the others.

The common room of the inn is spacious, comfortable, and warm. The innkeeper, Haselun of Elathel, an aging but spry man, greets the warband and shows them to a large table flanked by benches. A serving maid brings flagons of ale, and others soon bring roast pork, fresh fish, bread, honey, and peas with small onions. The warband tucks in as Haselun informs them that three rooms await when they wish to retire.

The common room is moderately crowded, and several people - locals apparently - look on in frank interest at the appearance of a viking warband in their midst.

Next steps?
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Thu May 11, 2006 11:09 am

Ulauf will join in with the warband as they enjoy their meal under a roof with a nice fire to keep them warm.

Ulauf joins in with the warband telling stories from the trip south. Not long after finishing his meal Ulauf finds the need for a good nights sleep to hard to fight and retires to one of the rooms set aside for our warband.

Being new to these parts Ulauf takes special care to ensure that his equipment is secured and that any footpads will have a hard time pilfering his gear.
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Jorst Seld » Thu May 11, 2006 11:16 am

Jorst too enjoys his meal and drink. Laughing along with Ulauf to the stories told. Jorst nor his brother mention the carnage along the trail that was the caravan.

As the stories wind down and each man turns inward to reflect, Jorst turns his attention to the crowd in the inn.

As Haselun makes his way around the inn, Jorst will stop him and probe for information regarding the local lay of the land and any gossip that may yet prove useful for the rest of our trip. In return Jorst will if pressured pass on that the Thardans have indeed landed in Orbaal in strength.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Vagnar Granier » Fri May 12, 2006 8:38 pm

Vagnar finally pushes back from the table after enjoying the finest meal since they set out on the long road. Curious as to this fine city, larger than any he has ever seen, he takes a final mug of ale and seeks to engage some guilds-appearing fellows in conversation...
They say I am mad...they make a good case.
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Sat May 13, 2006 9:39 am

Vagnar makes his way over to another table, acting the yokel, it seems. (Golotha being a mere village compared to Olokand. :wink: ) The four men there have looked from time to time in the direction of the warband, and now watch with frank interest as Vagnar approaches. All are middle-aged, well-dressed, and have the slightly greasy look of men who haven't missed a meal in years. The remains of the most recent - two roast fowl they split between them - lie on the table. Three of them enjoy tankards of ale, while the fourth has a goblet of wine. The flagon stands near him.

"Join us if you come in friendship," says the one with the wine. "Have you come from Orbaal?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Vagnar Granier » Sun May 14, 2006 7:55 am

I certainly do come in friendship, and from Tharda originally but by way of Orbaal with my stalwart companions(motions to them). Is there some curiousity as to Orbaal in Kaldor among the guilds?
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Sun May 14, 2006 12:30 pm

The wine-drinker nods. "We've heard some rumors of unrest in the north - the Prince of Leriel murdered, fighting around Lorkin - and it does concern us for the fur trade among other goods. War is never good for trade. Have you heard anything like that? And what of the caravan? If you came down the Fur Road, you must have passed it."

Meanwhile, the innkeeper comes over the the table with the rest of the warband, and speaks to Jorst. "Was there something else, sir?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Sun May 14, 2006 6:48 pm

"Haselun, who is the Lord of the castle."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Mon May 15, 2006 8:06 am

"The castle belongs to the King, Haldan, but he's only here in the summer. The Sheriff, Sir Maldan, holds it for him until Prince Brandis is knighted at the tourney next year."
Matt
The GM

Postby Vagnar Granier » Mon May 15, 2006 7:31 pm

Vagnar continues his discussion with the guildsmen, mentioning which major settlements are currently held by the Thardics, with emphasis on the ones he has seen, and also that the fighting does not appear to be ending soon as the Ivinians prepare to resist. Then he mentions the fate of the caravan...
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Mon May 15, 2006 8:29 pm

At the mention of the caravan, all four merchants at the table begin speaking at once. Eventually, wine-drinker emerges and asks the clear question they've all been saying: "The Fur Caravan has been wiped out? Does this mean there will be none come spring?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue May 16, 2006 9:05 am

"Well Haselun, as I have your ear for now we need to buy provisions before we can continue our journey, who could you recommend to us? We need all manner of camp equipment as our was lost during our journey"

Motioning to Dragoran Jorst continues with a smile on his face "My companions mule was lost during the journey and he is in need of another if the price be right."
Last edited by Jorst Seld on Tue May 16, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue May 16, 2006 9:11 am

"If you travel on to Tashal, it is but a short way. I can have provisions for your group - bread, cheese, some roasted meats - packed in the morning. As to a mule, perhaps you friend can say?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue May 16, 2006 9:18 am

"I think we will be staying here at least a day, so that we can enjoy your custom while we attend to some formalities while we are here, but rest assured Haselun, before we leave I shall seek you out and purchase some trail rations from you."

"So tell me, what news is there from this part of your kingdom over the last summer."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Vagnar Granier » Tue May 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Vagnar sadly admits that it appears that the prospects for Ivinian or Jarin alike to have resources to supply sufficient furs is not looking very promising for the next several months, at minimum.
Vagnar Granier
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Wed May 17, 2006 9:34 am

Jorst Seld wrote:"So tell me, what news is there from this part of your kingdom over the last summer."

"The summer was good and quiet after the tourney - as it should be. There was a bad outbreak o' the pox in Baseta come Agrazhar, but it's mostly over I hear. They say more'n dozen poor souls succumbed."

Meanwhile, The talk at Vagnar's table turns exclusively to furs, and what might be done if there is no caravan next year. Not one of the men favors Kaldor going to war, and each also hopes that any trouble up north will be speadily resolved - and they care not in who's favor so long as trade is not disrupted.

[GM: If there's nothing else, I'll move on to the next day ...]
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu May 18, 2006 1:21 am

Having finished this fine meal Laenvan looks around for a possibility to honor Halea... but there seems to be none here. So he informs Igon that he will take some air and should be back in two or three hours. Most of his gear he trusts Ulauf with and then leaves the inn (armed with knive and shortsword).
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 am

With that, and no doubt Halea given much honor, we'll call it a day, or night, or something ... :wink:
Matt
The GM

Return to The Game's Afoot