Savor 3-8, 730 - in Tashal

The Public Area for the PBF

Postby Jorst Seld » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:55 am

Jorst turns to the assembled warband with a smile on his face "There will be no need for hats, Joch. As for embroidery, I suppose a little will suffice for our needs."

"What cloth have you in stock to make our clothes with?"
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:18 am

Dragoran looks at Jorst with what would best be described as mock horror.

"What!? No hats. How appaling. How can one show themselves at court without a hat?" Dragoran finishes with a small chuckle.

With a completely straight face, Dragoran adds "I imagine that there are some members of our warband who may also be adverse to the embroidery"
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Ulauf Seld » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:37 am

Ulauf chuckles at his companions jests.

"Some embroidery would be nice seeing as these clothes will be what we wear in court."
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
User avatar
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:45 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:52 pm

Joch, apparently failing to see the humor, suggests woodenly that perhaps some measurements should be taken, gesturing at the same time to a nearby apprentice.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:43 pm

Laenvan steps forward. "Best you start with me..." He glances back with a big grin on his face. "You have to understand, dearest Joch, that this are northeners, not really accustomed to the ways of civilzation."
User avatar
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:29 pm
Location: Bern, Switzerland

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:06 pm

Joch and the apprentice go about the business of measuring, Joch using a string with knots tied at even intervals, and the apprentice taking down the numbers with a stylus on a wax tablet. Eventually, Joch gets them all, and then begins to tally the cost.

"As each of you has decided on the same type of clothing, and there are only a few differences, it will be the same for all. Each wool tunic will be 122d and wool hose 110d for 232d each or 1,160d in total. Half in advance, of course." He looks expectantly at the group.
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:32 am

With a look of complete incredulity Dragoran splutters out in a hoarse whisper "Not accustomed to civilization??"

"Do you.... Can you imagine...." Dragoran chokes out several more attempts at a sentence, before finally giving up.

"I have travelled all over this land, AND I am a scholar at that... Not accustomed to civilization indeed" he grumbles.
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:06 am

"A scholar, master traveler, yes," says Joch in a dry tone. "Are you then the keeper of the purse?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:50 pm

Dragoran eyes the apprentice sidelong and responds in his most imperious sounding voice "Thou are quite pert for a fellow who wants our business. As it so happens I am not the holder of the purse, which I might add, has very little to do with my scholarly accolades or my travelling"

With a disdainful sniff Dragoran goes back to his own private contemplation.
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:21 pm

With an officious bow, the journeyman says, "Beg pardon, master scholar. I should have known it was not you who held the purse. Yet it's not clear to me who does."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:42 pm

Jorst moving towards Joch "We are our own men, journeyman, we need no one to hold our purse for us. Be that as it may." Looking to the group "If some of us find we do not have that amount on hand I am sure arrangements can be made amongst us."

Turning back to Joch, Jorst continues in a calm tone "Do not fear about payment, journeyman, we have the funds you require."
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Igon Seld » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:26 pm

Igon tiring of the southrons tone steps forward, giving the pouch with their funds a shake... "I have funds enough for you and your masters time lad. Now, are your sevices available or not? We will have to look presentable for court, but nothing foppish mind you. We are northmen, not some simpering wretch looking for royal favour and smelling of womans perfume...
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:56 pm

"They are not!"

A middle-aged, well-dressed man steps out of a back room. Just behind him another, older man follows, dignified of mien with flowing, swept-back gray hair who looks on under heavy-browed eyes. The man who spoke, his face coloring, steps forward.

"I am Habor of Sarlis. This is my shop, and I've heard enough. Peers of the realm do not treat my journeymen so. Boorish northmen! Think you we're your Jarin peasants to be kicked like dogs? I have no need of your custom. Be off the lot of you!"

As Habor's voice rises, a third man comes into view from the back room. A man at arms, wearing livery with a golden acorn, slipped and leaved on a black field ...
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:58 pm

Jorst gauges the men at arms sizing him up in case the situation resorts to violence.

Jorst holding his ground raises his hands in an effort to calm the situation down. "Master Habor, we mean no offence to you or your journeyman. Please understand we hail from a clan of fine reputation and wealth and are not accustomed to having our value judged by our furs and clothing. We are unaccustomed to your ways and perhaps we were quick to take offence for this I beg pardon for myself and on behalf of my clansman."

Pausing to gauge the effects of his words Jorst continues "We have come to you on the recommendation of Horveal Endjan a priest of our god. If we have caused offence it was not intended and we beg your pardon. We require your services and have the means to pay."

"If you are still prepared to have our custom we are privilidged to accept, however, if you still want us to leave, then we bid you good day and will leave and take our custom to one of your competitors."

Jorst standing his ground awaits a reply....
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:10 pm

"Honeyed words when your abuse is met with resistance! Barbarians and bullies, that's what you are. I told you your custom is not welcome here - now go!"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:32 pm

"Know this I do not deliver 'honeyed' words to anyone. You and your piss ant welp of a warrior offer no 'resistance' and do not itimidate me enough for me to cower to you." Jorst replies menacingly.
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:49 pm

[GM: Before I respond to Jorst's last post, it would be good to know what everyone else is doing.]
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:18 pm

With the eruption of emotion and anger in the room, Dragoran steps behind Igon.
User avatar
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Igon Seld » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:57 pm

"Enough! Cousin, we are guests in this land and it will not help our cause engaging in a meaningless brawl with this man, then ending up in the jailhouse. We have more pressing concerns than the wounded pride of a garment maker. Let us go find another who values honest gold and get this done... time is short and so is my patience."

Once outside, Igon puts a steading hand on Jorsts shoulder... "Forgive me for being terse with you cousin, but that was not a winable situation... we are feared and mistrusted in these lands, and must maintain a low profile. Until we head back home, with our mission a success, methinks we must learn to hold our tonges with these... people. There is to much at stake."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
User avatar
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:08 pm

As Igon finishes speaking to Jorst, the older man exits Habor's shop, the man at arms with him. "Hold!" he cries to the group. "I would speak with you excitable northmen."
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Igon Seld wrote:"Once outside, Igon puts a steading hand on Jorsts shoulder... "Forgive me for being terse with you cousin, but that was not a winable situation... we are feared and mistrusted in these lands, and must maintain a low profile. Until we head back home, with our mission a success, methinks we must learn to hold our tonges with these... people. There is to much at stake."


Jorst whispers to his cousin while sizing up the other men "There is nothing to forgive cousin."

Turning to the older man "You have our ears, what have you to say."
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:35 pm

The warband has not made it far, and have stopped in the middle of the five-pointed square. A few market stalls draw some customers to the north - these are the ones unable to manage space in Mangai Square. Townspeople bustle past on their business, but most give the older man and his escort a wide berth.

As he comes towards the group, they get a good look at him for the first time. While not especially handsome, he bears himself with dignity, and his flowing gray hair is striking. His face is lined with care more than age, and his eyes still twinkle. He has found time to cover himself with a mantle of fine gray wool, and his clothing is of similarly fine wool, trimmed with silk. He wears several costly rings on his fingers, and his boots are of supple black leather. The man at arms, who accompanies a few steps behind, is armed with a broadsword and dagger, a plate halfhelm and underneath his surcoat he wears a mail hauberk. The dark red surcoat bears on the chest the arms of a gold acorn, slipped and leaved on a black field.

"Tell me," the older man says, mainly to Jorst, "were you truly planning to break the King's peace in the shop?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:06 am

Jorst keeping his tone polite replies "Sir, I have no intention of breaking your King's peace anywhere. Least of all in your establishment. Like you we are used to being treated with a certain respect and after having our 'credentials' questioned by the journeyman and then to be told that we are no more than barbarians and bullies by the master. Well I was not going to be spoken to like that nor let them intimidate me."

With a nod of his head he continues "I meant no disrespect and as you heard gladly begged pardon for any wrong doing."

"I am Jorst Seld of clan Seld" introducing himself before continuing "and if you please Sir, why have you called us back?"
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:01 am

The man laughs. "My establishment? No wonder you so insulted this stout man at arms here. That is the clothing shop of Habor of Sarlis, the best clothier in the kingdom and well-respected for it. I am just a customer. You are just northmen - and how you're used to being treated in a land where you are masters in another's house matters not at all here. And I do believe you had intention of breaking the King's peace - which I caution you against. You must govern that temper - this man," he points to Igon, "might not always be around to do it for you."

He pauses briefly, his eyes twinkling. "Yet I heard you mention court. Pray tell, why would you expect to be admitted to court, even if Habor were to adorn you with his finest work?"
User avatar
Matt
The GM
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:38 pm
Location: Weymouth, MA

Postby Jorst Seld » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:45 pm

"Might I enquire as to your name and title Sir?"
User avatar
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ (Sydney, AU)

PreviousNext

Return to The Game's Afoot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron