Savor 9, 730 - in Tashal

The Public Area for the PBF

Savor 9, 730 - in Tashal

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:00 pm

After breaking their fast, the warband sets out again, this time with Laenvan leading the way to the College of Heralds off Kald Square. The route takes in from the southeast corner of the Square, right by the pillory, occupied by a malefactor this morning. To the north, the tops of the large oak trees are visible rising above the mist swirling off the river. The imposing facade of the temple of Peoni looms beyond as the caer does to the south. The group goes past the Red Fox tavern and the well to the walled compound of the Enclave of the Holy Oak, the Kaldor College of Heralds. Above the stone gate are the arms of the Enclave.

The gate stands open, but the warden stops the group from entering. He had just passed several young boys through the gate, and asks one of them to fetch a herald. Not long after, a man emerges from the heavy double doors of the single-story stone edifice. He approaches the group and says:

"I am Herald Immen. What is your business within the Enclave?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:34 pm

To avoid any misunderstandings again because of a different cultural background, Laenvan steps forward and greets the Herald. "Haleas Blessing upon you, Herald Immen." Laenvan begins before he bows as the proper etiquette as far as Laenvan knows it demands. "I speak for my Lord, Lord Igon Seld from the Ivinians, who asks for the service of you or of one of your brethren... but as this is of some political importance we seek an audience either with you or whoever else is avalaible to discuss this in a more private environement."
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:47 am

Immen looks at Laenvan. "Are you a herald?" he asks, his tone clearly indicating he doubts it. "And, begging your pardon, of what land do you have lordship of?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:26 am

"Ohh... No... Excuse me, dear Sir... No, I'm not a Herald not at all... that's why I'm so clumsy... and I have no Lordship over anything at all... My name is Laenvan Hawkeye and this..." He points to Lord Igon. "... this is my Lord, Lord Igon of Clan Seld." With relief in his voice Laenvan continues but you can recognize that he isn't very comfortable about the whole developpment. "In all honesty, dear Sir, I ask you in the name of my Lord to grant us a more private audience."
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:54 am

"No one may enter the Enclave without an invitation - not even the King himself. And commoners have no business here." He looks at Igon. "If you are a lord, tell me of where and of what as your name is not known to me. Then we shall see if you have business here."
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:10 pm

Aye... aye... aye... Laenvan shakes his head fearing that this will lead to a new disaster. With a quick glance to the sky he steps back and trys to disappear once more in the background where he feels much more at ease. There are some fields of battle he isn't good at all. Halea, PLEASE, help us in our hour of need!

___

OOC - Laenvan's thoughts i.e. not spoken out loudly!
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Jorst Seld » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:04 pm

Jorst stepping forward "Herald we seek not to break the peace, it is an invitation we seek, nor are we commoners but men of name."

Indicating to Igon, Jorst continues "This is Igon Seld of Seldholm a thran to the west of Geldeheim in Orbaal, Igon Seld is the son of Eldred Seld, Valhakar of clan Seld."

Jorst then introduces his brother "This is my brother Ulauf Seld son of Torsten Seld the brother of Eldred Seld and I am Jorst Seld also a son of Torsten Seld."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:55 pm

The herald nods, regarding Jorst with a different mien.

"You speak well, Jorst of clan Seld. Again, I know not your name, but if you are a vassal of Geldeheim, then you shall be welcome in this hall. Come, follow me."

Herald Immen turns and heads towards the building, and the group follows. He leads them through the double doors, and once inside, bids them to wait. He exits the chamber to the right unlocking the door, and after a few minutes returns, relocks the door, and then goes a little way down the central corridor, knocks on a door to the right, and enters. While they wait, the warband takes in the rest of the chamber. Another door leads to the left, also closed. There are six statues of knights and their arms which are spaced about the room, each of them depicted in the southron style.

Eventually, the door reopens, and a man, trailed by Herald Immen comes into the room. "Gentlemen," he says, "I am Sir Rohn of Sarlis, assistant to the Acorn King of Arms. Herald Immen tells me that you are members of clan Seld of Orbaal, and that you have business here. Though this is not Orbaal, our records indicate that there is a clan Seld of Seldholm which is a vassal to the King of Orbaal. Do you affirm on oath that you are scions of that clan? And then will you state to me your business here at the Enclave of the Holy Oak?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:24 am

"Sir Rohn, I do swear such an oath."

Jorst continues "We came to Tashal as ambassadors of our King, we were to seek an audience with your King, as you are accustomed we are not at liberty to discuss this with you at this time."

"It has come to our attention that your King is not in Tashal and left some 3 days ago, just before our arrival. We are not accustomed to your ways and we seek admission to the Caer and as such we ask for your help in this matter."

"We seek an audience with your King or if that cannot be obtained we seek admittance into the Caer."

Jorst looking Sir Rohn in the eyes says "Sir Rohn are you able to assist us in this venture and if so at what cost to us?"
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 am

Sir Rohn looks puzzled, and says, "If the King were not in the city I cannot imagine why you would seek admittance to the caer. As it is, he is present, one has but to see the royal standard flying above the caer to confirm that. I had heard that Sir Maldan Harabor left the city some three days ago - perhaps it is to him that you refer."

"Now, I am not able to assist you in obtaining an audience with the King's Grace, however, I do know of a member of our college who might be willing to act on your behalf. Do you wish me to contact him, and if so, where should I tell him to look for you? I shall require no compensation for this task, though, of course, should you wish to make a gift to the college, it would be greatly appreciated."
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:17 am

"Sir Rohn, it was indeed Sir Malden that was to introduce us to your King and because he has left the city and neglected to tell us of this, we currently find ourselves in this predicament."

"We would greatly appreciate your assistance in obtaining an audience with your King. We can be found at the temple of the Grey Slayer." With a smile Jorst corrects himself "The temple of Sarajin I believe our god is known to you."

Jorst reaching into his beltpouch retrieves 2 shillings, holding them in his hand he says "And to who should I offer this gift too."

Handing the gift over to whoever is indicated.....
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:24 am

Herald Immen steps forward to take the coins, and Sir Rohn says that he'll send word to Herald Ballard today.

[GM: Unless there's anything else, I'll assume that your business at the Enclave is concluded and that you return to the temple.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:54 pm

The warband departs the Enclave of the College of the Holy Oak, and with no further business, they return to the temple. As they pass the caer, they confirm that the royal standard - a black field with a gold acorn slipped and leaved - does indeed fly from the tower. Without further ado, they head for the temple.

Upon arrival, Horveal greets them in person, and informs the group that there is a new visitor to the temple. He hopes the warband will not mind too much, but Horveal has moved their things out of one of the rooms in the guest house to give to the newcomer, who Horveal says is Lord Naarin Geldestaar - now the Valhakar of Lorkin. They follow him into the great hall, where they see a very young man eating. He looks to be tall, certainly over six feet, with blonde hair and blue eyes. His visage is plain, almost ugly, and Jorst recalls meeting Taabri Geldestaar, last Valhakar of Lorkin he had heard of, when he visited Geldeheim some years ago. Lord Taabri had been exceedingly ugly.

Horveal says, "Members of the Seld warband, this is Lord Naarin Geldestaar." He goes on to introduce each member of the warband in turn, and then calls for ale.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:47 pm

[GM: To be clear, I'm expecting the warband to respond here - Jorst, Ulauf, Dragoran, or Laenvan.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Dragoran Shengaad » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:15 am

Dragoran steps forward. With a small bow and a nod of the head, he speaks " Good day My lord. My name is Dragoran Shengaad.." Dragoran goes on to introduce himself and everyone else in better detail ".. and finally and most notable this is Lord Igon Seld, our leader, I would assume you know of him yes?"

"I must say it does our eyes good to see a fellow countryman here. But if I may be so bold, what brings you so far from our home?"
Dragoran Shengaad
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Naarin » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:53 am

Greetings, I am Naarin Geldestaar, Lord of Lorkin. I am the son of Taabri Geldestaar, who held the land before me. The title came to me when my entire family was slaughtered earlier in the year during a Jarin uprising. Happily, I was away hunting when the attack occured. The entire Geldestaar clan, with the exception of me but including women and children, were killed by the Jarin led by someone named Lodros. Having very little with me and only a servant as a companion it was too difficult to reach Geldeheim in the west. The only course open to me was to go south. After much travail I managed to reach Kaldor. My servant died from wounds received in a gargun attack on the way here. My thought was to travel with the Fur Caravan back north but I am informed that there has been trouble with that and that even if I reached the capitol there is little that could be done to help me. I have not decided what my next move will be with this news. What do I owe the honor of your presence to?
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:17 pm

[GM: Do not wait for Igon to respond - James will be posting much less due to new professional responsibilties. Jorst or Ulauf should assume general leadership of the warband for all intents and purposes.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:39 pm

"We are here acting on our liege's behalf, more than that I cannot say, Lord Geldestaar."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Naarin » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:28 am

Lord Naarin looks at them with a hard stare, slowly breaking into a smile and eventually, laughter. He says “I didn't realize how important you were! Well, my liege is King Alegar too, but he doesn't seem to be issuing orders if what the good priest says is true. Let me give you my read on why you are here, see if I am correct. For if I were among those left after the drubbing the Thardans gave you, I would be trying to get help - any help. The offer you're making in return for the help that would be needed to drive the invasion off must be very great. How else to entice a King such as Haldan to risk so much for blood that is not his own? If he manages to march an army across the vast wilderness between here and Orbaal, and then brings the forces of Arren II to battle successfully, he must win decisively. Otherwise, Arren can bring reinforcements by water and overwhelm whatever forces Haldan has left. If he is unable to best them he would then face a long withdrawal over hostile terrain where there is little food to sustain an army. If he does go north, he also faces the prospect of an invasion along his southern border and with most of his army gone to fight in the north, he could lose his own kingdom. And if he wins, why should he give it back to us? So, my good - Selds did you say? - how far off the mark am I?”
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Igon Seld » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:39 pm

In a disgusted tone... "Not far Lord Naarin, not far indeed. What you say is most likely true and yet this is our task as ordered by the Princes and council. At best I think we can only hope to hire mercenaries... but I fear it will not be enough."
"We must drive the evil from our lands!"
Igon Seld
Igon Seld
Knight
Knight

Postby Lord Naarin » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, I wish you luck in this task. If you are unable to secure help from King Haldan, how do you propose to hire mercenaries? My father, having an abundant number of huscarls, did not use them. I am not really familiar with the subtlties of raising and leading such a force. I will probably be doing some hiring myself if I am to displace the Jarin which hold the castle against me. I am sure we will be seeing much of each other during our stay here.
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:17 pm

[GM: I've been thinking about the Ivinian paucity of titles, and have a partial solution. The Ivinian equivalents of earls will be known as "jarl" henceforth, so Lord Naarin's full title will actually be Naarin Geldestaar, Jarl of Lorkin, Valhakar of Clan Geldestaar. Lord Naarin or Lord Geldestaar is good for casual conversation. If anyone has any suggestions what to call the baronial level - thane is too Anglo-Saxon - feel free to share.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Ulauf Seld » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:53 pm

I have been looking into it and can only find that below 'jarl' was the title 'hersir'.

The senior Hird officer was called 'Stallari' or Marshal and the standard bearer was called 'Merkismadr' or marksman.

So perhaps King, Jarl and Hersir might be the new titles....
May Sarajin guide my arrow....
Ulauf Seld
Bailiff
Bailiff

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:31 pm

[GM: Yes, 'hersir' is good, but seems to have been more at the level of a knight or captain of a company. We'll keep looking as I like 'huscarl' for knight, though we may find a use for 'hersir' as a viking equivalent of a kinght banneret. Fortunately, the baronial level is not impinging on us.

If there's nothing esle to do in this discussion, I shall move on.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Naarin » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:44 pm

"Come, it is now approaching evening. Let us eat and drink and you can tell me of what has happened. I have not been in touch since the early part of the year and much has happened that the priest has only given the basics of."
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot