Savor 11, 730 - Before the King of Kaldor

The Public Area for the PBF

Savor 11, 730 - Before the King of Kaldor

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:04 pm

In the morning, the members of the warband going to the castle, have a brief repast, dress in their new clothes, and set off for Kald Square. The rising sun’s rays gleam above the rooftops, only the lightest of mists floats above the river, and the city awakens to the promise of a fine day. Herald Ballard and his scribe await by the well, and the square bustles with those hurrying to business in the castle. Royal guardsmen search all who enter, locking up weapons and turning a few away. The warband is passed as Herald Ballard is known to them. Once inside the bailey, the imposing façade of the keep looms over them. Without even meaning to, the group looks up to the battlements, fifty feet above. A couple of guards look down, observing the parade of nobles, heralds, and guildsmen.

Ballard leads the way into the keep, and towards an imposing stone staircase. Some of the guildsmen head in a different direction, towards a chamber on the ground floor, but Ballard leads the way up the stairs past several more guardsmen, all of whom wear livery of a golden acorn, slipped and leaved, on a black field. The cold gray stone walls are unadorned save for the sconces holding flaming torches. A winch stands to the left of the door, operating the portcullis of the main entrance.

At the top of the stairs, an imposing set of double doors stands before them flanked by two guards, but Ballard leads around the balustrade to a number of benches set up in the corridor. Most of the petitioners take seats, and Ballard explains that the Chamberlain will come by shortly to determine who has legitimate business before the King. Looking about, the warband does not recognize anyone waiting, nor does Jorst know the livery of any of the nobles. Another guardsman stands impassively at the end of the corridor.

[GM: Thoughts, comments, or questions?]
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:31 pm

Before very long, but after the benches have filled and others stand in the corridor in small groups, several pages go from group to group, asking names and business. At least one group returns downstairs. When his turn comes, Ballard responds, "Lord Igon of Seld, embassage from the King of Orbaal." The page nods, and moves on to the next group. Eventually, the pages return through the large double doors.

Soon after, a number of nobles come up the stairs and enter through the double doors. Among them, a Laranian bishop, a large, bluff man with a patch over one eye, two younger men who seem very confident, and last a neatly bearded man, quick of eye. These men are accompanied by various attendants, and Jorst notices that there is one trailing the last man who wears the livery seen first at the clothier's: a field of blue with two gold dolphins hauriant combatant. All the nobles are richly appareled, and except for the bishop, all of these men carry swords.

[GM: I'll pause for comment ...]
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:06 pm

Studying the men as the pass by do we recognise any of them and more importantly do they seem to recognise us....
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:12 pm

[GM: No to both questions.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:20 pm

Being of no big help here Laenvan observes attentive his surroundings and stays always a few steps behind Lord Igon to protect his back in any case.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:36 pm

After about a half an hour, the double doors to the hall open and a man comes out. He's dressed as a royal herald and carries a large staff which he pounds on the floor three times. In a booming voice he bellows, "The King's Grace will now hear those come to petition. The embassage from the King of Orbaal shall be heard."

With that, Herald Ballad stands and motions for the group to follow. As the approach the doors, the royal herald turns and leads the way in. The hall is large, with four massive columns to supports the ceiling. Braziers and torches light the hall and smoke wafts up towards the gallery. On the left hand side between two columns stand several men, including two Laranian bishops, the noble with the eye patch, and a few others. On the right between the two columns stands the quick-eyed nobleman and his small entourage. Straight ahead is a wooden platform, about a foot off the floor. Seated on the throne is a sharp-faced man of about forty or so, wearing a crown of gold. Behind him stands a younger version of himself along with another man who also holds a staff. The younger man was among those seen entering the hall earlier. Six armored knights line the walls, three to the left and three to the right, and one more stands near the throne. On the right wall is a large, ornate tapestry depicting the arms of Kaldor - a golden acorn slipped and leaved on a black field, and behind the throne another tapestry depicts the siege of a mighty fortress.

The royal herald stops at the midpoint between the four columns and bows. "Your Grace, the embassage from Orbaal." He steps aside.

Herald Ballard steps forward, bows to the King, and holds out the credentials to the royal herald who takes them and gives them to the other man with a staff who has stepped forward. He reads them and says, "All appears in order, My Liege."

King Haldan III nods, and looking at the warband asks, "What message from our cousin Orbaal?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:38 am

Not his place nor duty nor station to speak Laenvan tries as good he can his awe... awe to stand before the King of Kaldor... awe for this magnificant architecture... awe for the powerful men and women who are in this room... The migithiest persons of all Kaldor and beyond are present.

Despit all his awe he is still a solider to is very core... and so he assesses the room... checks for hidden weapons... rooms... doors... and also the fastest way out if an emergency should arise.

OOC: Is there anyithing that Laenvan could recognize as out of order... so to say?
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:37 am

[GM: Having never been before the throne of Kaldor before, I'd have to say Laenvan wouldn't really be able to say. However, the only exit appears to be the way you came in. The only weapons you see are those on the knight-guards and the nobles. The former are fully armed with sword, mail, and halberd, while the latter have sword and dagger.]
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:03 pm

Jorst bowing his head opens up the conversation "Your Highness, we bring greetings from Orbaal and our Princes Meraag, Raabaas, and Alegar hope that you are in good health."

Pausing trying to find the right words "As you are no doubt aware, our lands are now occupied by Tharda. Our Princes have sent us to carry a message to you."

Taking the message from Igon he holds the message out awaiting a further response.....
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:23 pm

Haldan III regards Jorst, his face impassive. After a moment, he speaks. "Do we understand you to say you are sent by King Alegar's sons, and not by him? And what is this about Tharda occupying Orbaal?" He leans forward. "Would you have us believe that King Arren has conquered the entire kingdom in the space of less than a year?"

[GM: The message was the credentials that were already presented. The rest is up to you ...]
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Jorst lowering his hand after Igon waves it away continues "Your Highness, I beg pardon. It appears the information we gave Sir Maldan Harabor, has not been passed on."

"On our arrival in Olokand we were granted an audience with Sir Maldan, it was during this audience that we told him of the struggle between Tharda and Orbaal and of the current situation at home."

"I will tell you of the battle of Fjaga and of what else we know....."

Recounting the battle and telling of the capture of our King.

Jorst recounts the battle to the King and once finished continues "King Arren now holds the Akag penisular to the west and Lorkin in the east."

"Your Highness I fear that he will not be happy with just these holdings."

"This is why we are here, Orbaal and your great kingdom of Kaldor are all that stand between him and Kingship of Harn itself."

"We seek on behalf of our Princes, to form an alliance with you and your kingdom."
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:00 pm

"So, you were defeated in battle - so much that you lost your King. Arren of Tharda holds not your whole kingdom, but just a small part of it. And you are no doubt correct that he covets more of it than he holds." Haldan sits back on his throne and looks momentarily at the great men of his kingdom. "The kingship of Harn has not been an issue for many centuries, and we have no concern for its resurgence. But tell us, what sort of alliance do your orphaned princes seek with our realm?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:16 am

"Your Highness, Tharda fields many heavy horse. These horsemen swept the field during the battle of Fjaga. Your heavy horse are reknown throughout Harn as are your archers with their longbows."

Jorst pauses "My Princes seek any forces you can spare to send to our aid. With your aid to strengthen our battle line we will draw the Thardans into battle and defeat them wholesale. It is with the aid of your heavy horseman and longbowmen that we will be able to defeat Tharda in Orbaal and thus prevent Arren from crowning himself King of Harn."

"King Haldan my Princes bid me give you this gift as a token of good will between Orbaal and Kaldor"

With that Jorst takes the gem given from Igon and holds it for all to see...
and waits until someone takes it from him.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Naarin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:29 am

{Just an aside for Jorst. Naarin said that the Jarin had captured and slaughtered his family and the settlements. He never mentioned Thardans at the gate}
Lord Naarin
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:10 pm

The royal herald comes forward and takes the stone. He starts to bring it to the King, but Haldan gestures towards his right where the lords stand. One, an older man with a weak chin holds out his hand, gesturing impatiently. Snatching it from the herald as he draws near, the man peers at it, and then holds it up to the light of one of the burning torches. He harrumphs. "A garnet my Liege, worth about £20."

The left corner of Haldan's mouth curls, his lips closed. "Thank you, my lord of Balim. Return it."

Lord Balim flips the garnet back to Jorst, who catches it. He returns to where he had been standing and whispers something to one of the Laranian bishops who chuckles.

King Haldan speaks to Jorst. "So you wish us to send the flower of Kaldoric chivalry and our stoutest bow-arms to Orbaal to defeat the Thardans for you? In petition of which you bring us this mere bauble - one not worth even a manor's yearly income. What pray tell, are we to do then? Are we to return to Kaldor and give Orbaal back to you - Ivinians who stole it in the first place? Why should Kaldor risk her blood and treasure for that? And what of the Jarin? Where do they stand in this conflict?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:48 pm

"King Haldan, I beg pardon for this bauble. I am a man of war and a warrior of my clan. I have no 'talent' for picking the worth of such trinkets." Looking towards the Lord of Balim. "It was given to me, to give to you as a gift of friendship. I shall return it to my Princes."

"As for the Jarin it appears that they have thrown in their lot with Tharda. If given time and training Tharda might yet make warriors of the Jarin but if we strike now we deprive them of the time they need to achieve such ambitions. Should Orbaal fall, will your Kingdom be able to stand against an army from the west as well as an army from the north?"

Jorst pauses "Your Highness, Orbaal may fall to Tharda without your help. But once we have succumbed where do you think Tharda will turn next and what allies will you have to help should Orbaal be conquered?"

Jorst pauses "You ask at what price should we pay for your help? My answer to you your Highness is what price are you prepared to pay to ensure your position on your throne? Do you think Arren will let you sit upon that seat once he has beaten you in battle, taken your lands and laid waste to your armies?"

Jorst looks around the hall at each of the nobles assembled as he speaks. "King Haldan, both our kingdoms will face the might of Tharda whether we like it or not. Can Kaldor survive alone? We can take the fight to Tharda together or we can perish apart. You mistake our request; we do not want you to fight our fight for us. We seek your aid to help fight the fight. Your warriors will fight alongside our warriors and bear the pain and the fortune of war equally. I see your knights standing guard wearing the accoutrements of war - are they mere decoration? I think not, the warriors of Kaldor have long since had a fine reputation throughout our island and the reason that perhaps Tharda has left your Kingodom till last so that he might yet muster a force that is capable of defeating you in battle. Now your Highness is the time for the flower of Kaldor's chivalry to come into bloom."

Jorst looks at the ground for a moment and then looking up again continues "I believe King Haldan that if you are certain and I mean certain you can defeat Tharda alone then you have no need of us and therefore, nothing to gain by assisting us. If on the other hand you think that in war there is no such thing as certainty, then you should consider aiding us with what force you can spare. Would it not be better to fight the war on our homeland, have our crops destroyed, our villages laid waste, our women and children threatened and our stores consumed than to wait for Tharda to do it to you and at what cost to you perhaps a few more of these baubles?" Jorst concludes tossing the gem in hand.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:24 am

King Haldan nods. "You speak well, and with great passion, warrior Jorst Seld. Yet we are not convinced. Why should we think an attack on Orbaal is an attack on Kaldor? You say the Jarin side with Tharda - and we say to you our sympathies lie with the Jarin. Why should we think that a kingdom with which we are at peace is hostile? You say that Tharda will attack us. You say that we are left for last - yet that is not so. We ask you - what of Azadmere? What of Evael?" King Haldan leans forward. "What of Melderyn?"
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:55 am

Jorst looking directly at King Haldan replies "I do not ask you to think that an attack on Orbaal is an attack on Kaldor, for we are 2 seperate kingdoms, both with a lot to lose, should your aid be withheld. Your kingdom is at peace but can you guarantee that peace. Should Arren take Orbaal do you not think he will consider Kaldor a prize worth taking. I think if you look deep within your heart you will see the future clearly laid out."

"The kingdoms of Kanday and Rethem have fallen to him, yet he seeks more in the distant kingdoms of Orbaal and who is to say that he has not already placed agents amongst the kingdoms of the Azadmere and Evael. But here in Kaldor where the caravans come together, there is wealth to be had here in Kaldor and Arren will not be content with the fringes of your Kingdom."

"You may sympathise with the Jarin, your Highness. You may see us as 'barbarians' and 'usurpers' of the Jarin, but did not your forefathers cut out their home from the surrounding wilderness and seize their lands from the local tribesman that lived here before them. Do you share the same sympathisies for the displaced tribesman of history that you share for the Jarin."

"Does replacing Ivinian rule with Thardan rule ease your mind for the Jarin?"

"You say your sympathies lie with the Jarin, then if you do not aid us now, then we Ivinians shall be needing your sympathies too, for we will all be under Thardan rule. At least those that are left."

Pausing Jorst looks around the room and continues "You ask of Melderyn, Arren is the nephew of the King of Melderyn and is second in line for the throne after Prince Chunel, I would say that Arren has plans for Melderyn."

"King Haldan, Arren gives you the impression of peace and goodwill and no doubt his ambassador has allayed your fears on this matter." Jorst stops and draws breath "But with each passing winter he gathers more wolves around your door!"
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:22 am

"So you say it is in our interest to go to war with Tharda? Perhaps then we should hear from them," replies King Haldan who turns towards the men standing on the other side of the hall. "My lord of Stimos, what say you in this matter?"

One of the men steps forward and bows, his left hand resting on the pommel of his sword. He was among those seen entering the hall earlier. He is neatly bearded and quick of eye, and he now smiles without mirth. He glances at the warband before speaking.

"Gracious sovereign," he begins in a cultured voice. "I give you thanks for allowing me the honor of your hall. Though most here know me, I am Eddas Roulon, Baron of Stimos, and Ambassador from His Majesty King Arren II of Tharda to the court of Kaldor. I welcome the presence here of emissaries from Orbaal, and am grateful for the opportunity to allay both Your Grace's understandable concerns and answer the accusations made here today."

"It is true, that King Arren has led an army to Orbaal. It is true that he won a great victory at Fjaga. It is true that he did so using mounted knights in terrain known to be inhospitable to cavalry. It is true that he captured King Alegar, and as far as I know it is also true that he has returned to Tharda. At this time, I believe what the gentlemen from Orbaal has said about the Akag is also true." He looks at the warband again. "However, there are a number of untruths in what they say. King Arren has not attacked Lorkin. Perhaps it was the Jarin who did so - they have risen up against their Ivinian conquerors and stand ready to assume the rights and governance they formerly enjoyed. I say to you all, the King of Tharda has no intention of remaining in Orbaal. He did not lead an army there to conquer Orbaal as a prelude to conquering Harn - every man in this hall knows that Kaldor would need to be first, not last, were such an incredible notion have any chance of success. I will not even dignify the implication that King Arren would raise a hand against Melderyn. Far from that, King Arren sent me here to keep the King's Grace fully informed. These emissaries are young, and perhaps are not aware of the reason King Arren went to war - to prevent the Orbaalese from ever again supporting those who would threaten his realm! Two years ago, the Earl of Tormau conspired with King Alegar for Orbaalese help in his rebellion against King Arren. King Alegar provided that help, and now he has paid the price. There is no 'Kingdom of Harn,' and neither will there now be a Kingdom of Orbaal. The Jarin will rule again in Jara."
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:18 am

Jorst fearing that this battle is lost says "King Haldan, it appears that the ambassador from Tharda has your ear and apparent trust. There is little I can do or say that will change that."

"Therefore I think that unless you have any message for us to bear back to our Princes our business in your court is concluded."

Jorst looking towards the ambassador and back to the King before contining "The Jarin rise at the same time that you invade our homeland, I might be young but I am not niave. Tharda had a hand in the Jarin rising in the east and may as well have led the rebellion itself."

Turning back towards the ambassador Jorst adds "If you have no objections I would like to meet at a later date to discuss certain matters?"
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:56 am

King Haldan nods. "If you are content with the answer the Ambassador from Tharda has given, then so too are we. It pleases us that this matter has been concluded with so little acrimony. However, we do charge both of you - this our realm is not your battlefield. Any violence done will be met with our full wrath. You have our leave to withdraw."

The Baron of Stimos bows to King Haldan, and says "I thank you gracious sovereign, and assure you that Tharda desires but peace and friendship with you." Turning to Jorst he says, "And I am at your disposal for such talks as you may desire. I am happy to host or you may name a neutral location if it pleases you."
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:24 am

"Your Higness it is of no consequence to us whether we are content with the response from the ambassador. I am a guest honoured to be in your court and as such do not wish to debate the merits or no with the ambassador here in your court consuming your valuable time."

"As you put it this is your realm and not our battlefield. I think that the ambassador and my entourage can conduct our business elsewhere."

"Your Highness, you have heard our message as given to us by the Princes of Orbaal and have replied in kind. I thank you for your audience. I hope that should our situation change, that we might yet revisit this conversation. May your god watch over you King Haldan and your reign be ever peaceful."

Looking towards the ambassador Jorst continues "Lord Stimos I will send word to you when we are prepared to conduct our business with you that is if you have no objection."

"I thank the King of Kaldor for his time in hearing our message" With a nod to both King Haldan and Lord Stimos Jorst and the entourage turn and leave the hall..... if there is nothing else.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Postby Laenvan Hawkeye » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:17 am

Laenvan is impressed by Jorst Selds speech and he follows the Ivinian head raised high as they do... not servants... but warriros.
Laenvan Hawkeye
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:16 am

The warband leaves the great hall, though Herald Ballard tarries a moment to ask one of the Thardans a quick question. Satisfied, he follows the rest. The doors of the hall close behind the group with a thud.

Leaving the castle after retrieving what weapons the group brought, they find themselves in Kald Square - it is not yet noon.

[GM: Kudos to Neil for playing a difficult scene well. Clearly, Haldan III had already made up his mind, and so the chance of success was minute. However, I like the last minute twist of asking to meet privately with Lord Stimos - a deft recovery!]
Matt
The GM

Postby Jorst Seld » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:42 pm

Once in the square Jorst asks Herald Ballard if they might yet still use his services.

Jorst will require someone to organise the meeting between the warband on Lord Stimos.... and would he be interested in this work and how much.
Jorst Seld
Squire
Squire

Next

Return to The Game's Afoot