Advice To Players:

Where things not of Harn are discussed

Advice To Players:

Postby Imarë » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:43 am

1: Test your assumptions. The environment Matt sets up is consistent and rational, but it follows his rules (which are not always the exact same thing as the written word). This world has been modified over two decades into something wholly his own. If things do not happen the way you think they should, then they must be at odds with what has been ordained in this Harn. If you feel something is in error strongly, discuss it with the GM. He is open to reasoned arguments why something should or should not be.

2: The adventure is there, but you have to find it, it will not find you. I remember sessions where nothing happened about what the group was trying to do because we did not go and look in the right places. Matt is patient, he will wait for you to catch up to it. Be careful, however, the denizens of the world will not stand waiting for your actions and go about their business.

3: Do not be afraid to stretch and take a few chances. Matt may make the situation uncomfortable and even dangerous, but his goal is not to kill your characters. It will not be secret if you are going down the wrong path, and if you persist death might occur but he invests time and energy into your characters just like you do and perpetual character generation can become a bore.

4: Don’t be afraid to talk to the locals, these often are the best way to gain information. You might have to flatter, cajole or even threaten, but most have something to say (if it is true or not is left up to you). There is time and effort taken to make most of the NPC characters have a life of their own and remain true to it. Part of the fun is to navigate in this web of humanity.

5: Be willing to think outside the box. Some great things can happen if you are willing to look at a situation and decide to try something totally different. Remember, however, there are two boxes here, yours and Matt's.

6: This whole thing is supposed to be fun for both sides and I have found this a pleasurable universe to play in. It has been so for me for over twenty years playing a multitude of characters with a range of occupations and abilities (many of whom still populate the island as NPCs). I hope you have as much fun here as I have over the years.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Bevan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:13 am

Wow!! You certainly nailed it in 6 bullets.
Bevan
Squire
Squire

Return to The Common Room