Session Thirteen 10th - 18th Kelen 720

Where we follow the vicissitudes of a separate viking pHarn Down Under ...

Moderator: Neil

Session Thirteen 10th - 18th Kelen 720

Postby Neil » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:11 am

10th Kelen 720

The warband sleep fitfully in the stable during the night. The fragrance of slow roasting meat filling their nostrils during the night. The night was warm and the morning light the day looks to continue to warm up. As dawn breaks and the first rays of sunlight stream into the stable the warband wake, pack up their sleeping equipment and make their way to the thran well. As the warband leave the stable a mist hangs around the thran reducing visibility slightly. They draw water and pouring the contents of the bucket into a bowl they take it back into the stable.

The warband notice while at the well the flurry of activity around the thran. The smells of roasting meat still fills the air. The warband spend more time than normal this morning preparing themselves for the festivities, combing hair and beards, washing and preparing their best attire for the coming day.

As the warband leave the stable they notice that most of the Ivinians of the thran have gathered in the inner compound and are milling around the well and main hall. All have spent time on their appearance and are wearing their best clothes. Smoke gently rises from the central opening in the roof of the main hall where the hearth fire has been kept alight all night.

As the Ivinians gather around the compound several Jarin women are passing around tankards and jugs of ale.

By mid morning the day has warmed up. Ashain Eagatta a priest of Sarajin exits the main hall and holding up his hands addresses the crowd “If you will, Defenders of Fornin, warriors of Sarajin, upholders of the Ljarl, I ask that you join with me in giving thanks for this day. May the Grey Slayer watch over us this day. May the King of the Icy Winds guide us and keep us true to the Ljarl. Give thanks unto Sarajin for providing us with this feast and may we at the end of the day eat and drink to his virtues.”

The assembled crowd are ushered into the clan longhouse and the warband finds seats towards the lower ranking members. Roasting above the hearth fire is the carcass of a deer while several pots simmer among the coals of the fire. They have no sooner found and taken their seats when the Valhakar of Sherwyn and Fornin enter the hall from the private quarters. Each of the men are smiling and without paying any attention to the assembled audience take their seats at the head of the table.

They have no sooner taken their seats than food and ale are placed before them and before long the Jarin women begin serving towards the lower ranked members. Soon the warband finds themselves with food and ale a plenty placed upon the table in front of them. All except Kjarl relish in the quantity of the ale.

With the first course dispensed with members of the crowd begin to turn to the neighbours and tell stories of past deeds and glories. Most of the stories told are not heard by any but the person seated either side of the story teller. By early afternoon thunder can be heard bringing in the rain. Rain has started to fall spitting upon the hearth fire and flashes of lightening can be seen. It is by mid afternoon with several courses served and finished that the story tellers begin to stand and regale their audience with stories of battle, viking and feats of strenght. Each of the warband also have their tale to tell sharing a story or two with their dinner guests.

Ashain Eagatta the priest of Sarajin entertains his audience with both a story and song that enthralls the guests and draws a riotous response on their conclusion. Anvil seated towards the end of the table unwitting looks to the opening above the hearth fire and notices a crow standing on the edge of the opening. He looks around the other members of the warband and notices that Kalyn and Raan have also spotted the bird. No one else appears to have noticed perhaps due to the position of the bird at the opening or perhaps due to the din of tale and song and the other entertainment with the main hall. Anvil sensing the signifcance of this birds appearance gathers Kalyn and leaves the table to make their way where Ashain Eagatta is seated. Anvil points to the bird and says “Priest we have been honoured by a visit from one of the Elkyri. Which one of them has graced us?” Ashain looks to the bird and then to the crowd “She would have to be Easlyn, she has come to hear your songs and tales of honour and courage.” Those that overhear the conversation soon begin to bang upon the table and soon the whole hall knows that one of the Elkyri have graced their feast. Welrys Sherwyn is seen to lean towards Kurnd Ragan and enter into a whispered conversation. By late afternoon the thunderstorm has died down.

By early evening most of the food has been consumed, however, the ale is still flowing as the Valhakar of Sherwyn stands and banging his tankard on the table quickly silences the host. “I have come to Fornin during the Ilbengaard Festival to give thanks to the warriors assemble here for their courage and honour during the recent unrest. Your display of honour and courage will surely grant you a place in Taalagaard. I have also come to bestow another honour.” Turning to Kurnd Ragan he steps away from the table. Kurnd stands moves closer to Welrys and bends on a knee. “Valhakar of Sherwyn, I offer you my oath that I will serve you with courage, honour and duty. My sword will serve no other until the Grey Slayer takes me. Deanaal here my oath.” Whilst still on one knee the Valhakar of Sherwyn replies “I accept your oath of service Kurnd Ragan and know that while you serve me with honour, trust and courage you shall have the protection of my house and all those that swear fealty to me. Deanaal here my oath.”

Kurnd Ragan stands and accepts the offered hand of the Valhakar of Sherwyn. Ashain Eagatta now stands “We have witnessed an oath by both men, let this bond last from know until Sarajin takes them. Deanaal has heard your oaths and will hold you to them.”

Before long the Valhakar of Sherwyn and Fornin have left the table and made their way into the private quarters with several of their huscarls. The remainder of the night is spent in picking the last of the food and drinking what remains of the ale.

The warband retire back to the stable for the night. The night air has chilled some since the heat of the day and the warband hunch their shoulders against the cool night air. After laying out there sleeping gear the warband are drifting off to sleep as more rain begins to fall.

11th Kelen 720

The rain continues to fall throughout most of the night stopping near morning.

As the warband exit the stables this morning the cold air hits them and brings them back from their sleepy state. They draw their cloaks tightly around their shoulders as they make their way to the longhall. There they find that the tables and benches have already been set and may of the huscarls of Sherwyn are already enjoying their morning meal. A warm porridge is served to the warband and washed down with some ale.

Returning to the stables the warriors prepare themselves for the coming activities. Putting on armour and weapons they make their way to the thran common, where the local men and solitary sheildmaiden have gathered. They hear from the local talk that Turaas Junilden the thran woodward who died a few days ago will have his funeral tommorrow. It is befitting to see this warrior who died in battle off on the day of prayer and meditation during this festival.

The warband notice that the locals have each paid a 5d entry fee for this mornings activities and make their way over to offer their entry fee. As the fee is about to be accepted by Maddin, Kurnd Ragan steps forwards and says to the warband “It is custom that only the members of the clans of Fornin are allowed to take part in the events held here. These events are held to select which of our warriors will go from here and represent us during Bjarri’s feast held in Sherwyn.”

The warband accept Kurnds ‘request’ and withdraw their money. The warband are happy to take part in the activities as spectators.

The first event for the day is the spear throwing event. A target is setup 30’ away and each warrior takes a spear and attempts to hit his target. As each warrior steps up to take his or her throw there is much jeering from there companions and with each stike the crowd roar their approval. The bidding is fierce as some of the warband join in the bidding. All but 2 of the warriors hit their target so the target is moved so that it is now 60’ from the throw line. The warriors throw their spears and all but one miss their target. Birnad Alvain is declared the winner netting himself 10d prize money. Kalyn earns herself 2d for her wager backing Birnad to win. The rain begins to fall drawing the activities to a halt.

The rain stops and the events continue while it is still dry enough. The next event is the axe throw. The same target is moved to 15’ from the throwers. Each of the competitors throws their axe at the target. With each axe thrown the cheering continues. All but 3 miss, the target is now moved to distance of 30’ with none but Daraas Ragan hitting the target making him the winner. Birnad takes away a 10d prize for his efforts, Ashain who has been standing near the warband earns himself a 2d for backing the winner in this event.

The next event to take place before the rain falls again is the archery competition. The target is moved to a distance of 200’ from the firing line. Each archer draws 5 arrows and takes his place at the firing line. Each archer fires his or her 5 arrows and scores points for which ever ring of the target they hit. Again the cheering is lound but good spirited. The winner is again Birnad Alvain claiming his second 10d prize with a score of 19 from a possible 25.

With the rain beginning to fall the warriors decide to continue with the next event. The tug of war. It is decided that as there are 3 member from clan Ragan and 3 members from other clans it will be everyone vs clan Ragan. The tug of war goes on for some time with both teams evenly matched. Kurnd Ragan as the Valhakar of the thran has decided not to enter and watches closely as his warrior compete. Little by little the other clans begin to inch clan Ragan to the centre line. It looks as if clan Ragan will hold and but with a decisive pull the other clans drag clan Ragan over the mid line and win a victory.

The next event to be held was to be the great race which is usually run from the thran of Fornins main gate to the salt mine and back, but with the weather having turned so bad with the rain Kurnd decides that this event will be cancelled this year.

As the rain continues to fall it is decided that the last event of the day the arm wrestling will be held inside the main hall. With members of the warband entertaining bets their money is wasted as Kurnd Ragan emerges the winner of the contest. Donating the 10d prize money to the widow Junilden.

The warriors now wet and exhausted retire back to their homes to dry out and change before returning to the hall where the evening meal is provided.

After a meal and several jugs of ale the warband again retire back to the stables for the night. Another thunderstorm whips up during the night with the crash of thunder and the flash of lightning throughout the night.

12th Kelen 720

The third and final day of Ilbengaard festival dawns with a cold day with no cloud cover, mist and with a strong wind gusting from the SE.

As the warband have their morning meal the sun breaks over the treeline to the east and the day soon warms up, burning off the mist by mid morning.

Each of the warband spends the morning in quiet contemplation of the day. As the mist finally burns off the funeral procession is seen to gather in the outer compound. With the widower Junilden and her sole surviving son, he too is still recoverying from his wounds they lead the procession out from the thran to where a funeral pyre stands built and ready for use. Six men now carry the lifeless corpse of Turaas Junilden to the fire. Turaas is wearing his armour, carrying his weapons and shield and adorning his body are numerous items of personal wealth.

With the compassion of his comrades his body is laid upon the pyre and with a torch in hand Kurnd lights the fire to send his warrior to Taalagaard. Ashain Eagatta moves forward through the crowd and begins to conduct the rights of passage allowing Turaas’s soul to speed to Taalagaard and not be tethered with any bonds to the mortal world. The fire burns for the best part of an hour with the smoke drifting towards the heavens dispersing with each gust of the wind. The mourners stand mute as they whisper their final farewells to a friend and comrade.

With the fire left smouldering the procession turn and return back to the main hall. There laid out on the tables are jugs of ale, mead and other tasty morsels for the mourners to share. It is now that the mourners begin to liven up and celebrate the life and death of the Turaas Junilden the thran woodsman. The warband are treated to many stories of his skill as a tracker and his courage as a warrior. Many of the warriors gathered say openly they envy him in that he received the Grey Slayers blessing only such a warrior could hope to claim his death in battle.

By mid afternoon the wind has swung around to blow in from the NE cooling the temperature and blowing in some clouds. Ashain leads the assembled warriors out of the main hall and into the inner compound where he leads them in contemplation and meditation.

While the Ivinians are conducting their service several of the Jarin approach the thran and are admitted into the main hall, this sparks the curiosity of the warband and after waiting a while they leave the service to see what is taking place.

They enter the main hall to find the Jarin are in discussion with Kurnd Ragan. Kurnd looks up as the warband enter and says “Tis good fortune which brings you here now. This man” pointing one of the Jarin “claims that when you took his boat for your voyage to Sherwyn it was returned damaged and not fit to put to sea. Is this correct?”

Kjarl steps forwad and says “While I would dispute that the vessel was unseaworthy, it is true, Valhakar Ragan that we did indeed cause damage to his vessel. On our journey we struck some rocks and this was when the vessel was damaged. It was then that I received the wounds that have ailed me for the last tenday or so.” Indicating to his injured ribs, Kurnd nods his head in confirmation. Kjarl continues “It was due to the injuries that I suffered at this time that I was as a journeyman shipwright unble to effect the repairs to his vessel. If it would please you Valhakar Ragan, as my injuries are now mainly healed I shall begin to repair this mans vessel.”

Kurnd nods his head and says “That is fair, you may begin on the morrow, as this man claims to have lost livelyhood while his vessel was not seaworthy and that you did not report the damage to the vessel to me so that I might have interceded on your behalf I shall force restitution to the value of 5d to this man. Can you pay?” Several of the warband look shocked at having to pay any sort of fine for this infringment. Raan nods his head and says “We can Valhakar Ragan” and stepping forward takes 5d from his beltpouch and hands it to Charrin a huscarl for clan Ragan. He places the 5d upon the table and issues a receipt to Raan.

There are still several Jarin waiting to be heard at this court but it is quickly concluded and the 2 huscarls usher the waiting Jarin outside and back towards the village.

On leaving the hall the warband consider what had just happened. Had the Valhakar believed the Jarin over them, had the Valhakar tried to appease everyone by issuing such a light fine to the warband while administering justice for all the Jarin to see. Looking out to see they notice that the Valhakar of Sherwyns longboat has already put to sea and is on a heading of SE possibly returning to Sherwyn. After a hour or so the warband are still undecided on the issue but thought better of continuing the discussion. The rest of the day the warband spend in quiet meditation.

By late afternoon with the weather getting warmer a mist begins to form as the warband join Valhakar Ragan at his dinner table they share a light meal of cold meats, cheese, duck eggs and bread washed down with a few tankards of ale.

The warband are allowed to return to the main hall now that it is clear of guests and they gather their gear from the stables and return to the hall for the night. The night remains warm with the mist hanging over thran all night.

13th Kelen 720

The day dawns slightly cooler with the mist still hanging over the thran. The warband help clear the hall in preparation for the tables and benches to be setup for the morning meal. A warm porridge is served and it is well received by the warband.

During the meal the warband discuss the coming trip with the household staff and discover that Bjarri’s feast is held in Sherwyn and during the feast the islands largest market is held. Traders from all over Harn come to trade here. Several of the days during the feast are held for the champions of each thran to compete in the events in which they won at their home thrans but one day is set aside for the great combat in which anyone and everyone that can swing a sword or axe joins in the combat is by the last standing warrior. It is every man or shieldmaiden for himself and the combat is one by delivering the first blow to your opponent. Only leather armour and shield are allowed to be worn with blunted weapons being used during the combat. These weapons are issued to each combatant on the payment of their sign up fee. This fee is 12d per person.

With the morning meal finished and the morning routine complete the warband consider their days activities. The mist continues to hang over the thran as Kjarl and Raan plan on spending the day down on the beach repairing the damaged vessel in accordance with their agreement. They find the vessel apparantly more damaged than when they returned it but they are both not really sure. Their day is spent in repairing rigging and hull damage. The weather heats up during the day and they both find themselves stripped down to the waist as sweat drips from them. By the end of the day it appears as if there might yet be more work to do tomorrow and both make plans to pick up some timber from Narri Ragan the thran timberwright.

During the day the 2 men notice several wrapped bodies being carried out of Jarin homes and being carried off into the woods a procession of sorts follows. Several hours later the procession returns minus the wrapped bodies.

Anvil has been toying with the idea all night of the thran now needing a new woodsmen and approaches Charrin to see if there is any work for him to conduct. Charrin informs him that he can spend the day revisiting the old Jarin camp and see if that has been recently used. Anvil quickly departs and has no trouble in finding the old campsite. Anvil spends an hour scouting out the old camp for any sign of use and at the end of this time concludes that the only recent visitor was a boar which passed by not more than an hour ago, Anvil thinks about hunting this beast down but quickly rejects the idea. Returning back to Fornin Anvil reports his findings to Charrin who nods and goes about some other business.

Kalyn whilst inspecting her gear finds that her herbs, salves ointments are running low with the increase in use of the last tenday or so and decides to spend the day wandering the local woods in an attempt to replenish her stocks. After 8 hours of searching Kalyn returns to the thran empty handed.

Ashain finding that the warband are good company and every one else appears to be preparing for Bjarri’s feast to be held in Sherwyn decides to make his way to the beach finding a comfortable spot amid the shade he joins Kjarl and Raan in conversation while they repair the damaged vessel.

By late afternoon with the mist still about the warband reassemble in the thran and after a quiet and fulfilling evening meal seek the comfort of their sleeping gear and rest throughout the warm night.

14th Kelen 720

The warband rest well inside the main hall during the night. The warband awake as usual to find the mist is still around. But by the time the warband have eaten and finished their morning routine the mist has all but been dispersed by the winds blowing in from the NE.

Kjarl, Ashain and Raan again make their way to the beach to finish their work on the vessel. Kjarl and Raan first stop in to Narri the timberwright to acquire some extra timber with which to repair the vessel with, after parting with 18d Kjarl and Raan make their way down to the beach with fresh boards of timber.

They spend the rest of the day repairing the vessel and by the end of the day find that they should need only one more day or less to finish.

Kalyn agains wanders the woods only to return empty handed.

Anvil with this woodward position in mind again approaches Charrin for any work, Charrin quick to be rid of him says that he can go and check the woods where the Jarin are reportedly bury their dead and just confirm that it is indeed funerals taking place and nothing else. Anvil quickly gathers his gear and heads out. By mid afternoon he has returned after spying out several Jarin burial mounds hidden amongst the woods.

Like the previous day the warband finds themselves gathered at the main hall and with this night being a bit cooler they bed down a little closer to the hearth to share the embers of the hearth fire.

During the night the temperature drops drastically as the warband draw their blankets tighter over them as they sleep.

15th Kelen 720

With the drop in temperature over night the wind picks up continuing to blow in from the NE.

The warband awake and enjoy their morning meal and have soon completed their morning routine.

Kjarl and Raan head down to the beach to finish their repairs on the boat and by midday have finished returning the boat to it’s owner who graciously although suspiciously nods his head in approval. Ashain again joins these 2 men on the beach to watch them work and join in their conversation.

Anvil again approaches Charrin for something to do and is told that there is naught for him to do now. Preparations for the coming trip are nearing completion.

Kalyn again heads out into the woods braving the cold temperatures in an effort to replenish her badly depleted stocks. Finally nearing the end of her trip she finds a suitable sized plant to allow her to pick some herbs. Returning to the thran pleased with her days efforts.

By early afternoon the warband have gathered back at the thran. The freezing temperatures keep most of the warriors indoors unless needs requires them to venture out.

The warband shunning the cold at last have some time to practice their combat skills in preparation for the great combat during Bjarri’s feast.

The warband practice for just over a hour when a mist begins to form and they decide that it is now time to call the training over. Making their way to the well the warband brave the cold conditions to wash the sweat from their bodies and prepare themselves for the evening meal. After the meal the warband help clear the hall and again sleep soundly near the hearth fire using it’s heat to ward off the biting cold.

16th Kelen 720

The warband huddle around the hearth fire during the night. The temperature rises slightly during the morning as the warband goes about their morning routine and morning meal. While eating their meal the warband hear the news that during the night young Anfrain Denesen, Nori Denesen’s son the thran hideworker dies of the wounds suffered during the battle of Fornin. There is a silence as they reflect on the loss of this 15 year old.

As the warband emerges from the main hall the thran is shrouded in a light mist without affecting visibility at all.The warband continues to spend the day in training for the great combat during the feast. During the morning Maddin approaches the warband and informs them that the caravan will depart Fornin on the morning of the 18th, they should arrive in Sherwyn later that afternoon. They will accompany the caravan to Sherwyn and act as guards for the trip. The warband acknowledge the instructions and confirm that they will be ready to travel on the morning of the 18th.

The warband notice that another funeral pyre is being built near the previous pyres. The warband know better than to offer assistance in building the pyre as it is the responsibility of the family to build the pyre. By mid afternoon the warband are bored and are looking for things to do. Kjarl goes back to whittling his small longboat, Kalyn continues to check up the wounded, Anvil wanders the thran checking to see if any of the Ivinians need any help in packing there goods on the carts, while Raan wanders around the village checking on the general layout and feeling of the Jarin. Raan returns to the thran finding that the Jarin too appear to be preparing for the coming market and some have already left Fornin on the road to Sherwyn.

By late afternoon the pyre is finished. Word is passed around that Anfrain’s funeral is to be held tomorrow morning. Ashain Eagatta has been asked to again offer the blessing and passage of rights for this young warrior.

The warband spends another cold night around the hearth fire after eating another enjoyable meal.

17th Kelen 720

The weather outside is bleak this morning with the outside temperature near freezing, a mist hangs over the thran with a slight breeze gusting from the north.

The Ivinians gather near the inner compound as Anfrain’s body is carried out to the pyre his body wrapped in leather armour as he bears a sword and shield. There is little wealth adorning his body as he is carried to the pyre, his body is placed upon the pyre as Ashain conducts the prayer granting Anfrain eternal life in Taalagaard with the ritual concluded Anfrain’s father set the pyre ablaze.

The Ivinians return to the main hall and there toast the life and death of this young warrior. The wake breaks up around midday as each of the clans makes sure that the final preparations are made before the caravan leaves tomorrow.

By midday the mist has burnt off and the temperature has increased the wind has picked up during the day and is now blowing in from the NW.

With the final preparations made the clans return to their homes and rest up before the journey tomorrow. The warband remain in the hall continuing to drink as the day draws to a close they share in the evening meal before retiring for the night.

18th Kelen 720

The warband are awoken earlier than usual as the hall is cleared and the morning meal is eaten. The weather outside is very cold with only a little cloud cover and a mild breeze blowing in from the SW.

All the members of the caravan including some Jarin have prepared themselves for the coming journey. Mules or oxen have been hitched to wagons or carts bearing the goods of trade for each family. Kurnd Ragan sits atop his mount while his huscarls stand either side of him as he waits for the caravan to form. When all looks to be in readiness Kurnd signals for the caravan to move out.

The warband move along with the caravan moving from the van to either flank as the situation dictates. On one occasion Kurnd is heard to comment that he is concerned that the caravan from the salt mine has not shown up. He decides to push on to Sherwyn with his clan and worry about the salt caravan later.

The caravan passes through several smaller settlements both have Jarin that join the caravan paying a sum of money to Charrin for the priviledge. Both of the settlements appear nearly empty. Some of the Jarin have travelled to Sherwyn already braving the trip without the protection of the caravan.

A little over an hour into the journey and the caravan enters a thran the warband recognise this thran as being of Linon. This thran appears as empty as the others. The caravan move on for nearly 2 hours passing through several small settlements before entering another thran, the warband are told this thran is called Zoen. Another small settlement is quickly entered and left as the caravan makes there way to the next thran called Morynhiem.

The caravan stops in Morynheim and quickly has a midday meal while the beasts of burden are fed and watered. An hour or so later the caravan is under way again.

The caravan passes through other settlements and thrans arriving in Sherwyn towards the end of the 4th watch. On arriving in Sherwyn the warband notice the change over this settlement. There is a hum of activity as merchants setup stalls, clans are setting up campsites with clan coats of arms emblazoned for all to see. Instead of the usual 2 or 3 ships in the harbour there are now in the vicinity of 8-12 ship either tied up or anchored in the harbour. Servants are running everywhere bearing messages or tasks for their masters.

The carvan stops near Sherwyn common where other thrans have either set themselves up or are in the process of doing so, Kurnd, his huscarls and Ashain now returned to his home depart the caravan after giving instructions to wait here until they return. A while later they all return and Kurnd instructs his kinsman to setup in an area staked out with red and yellow coloured stakes. The site is quickly found and Kurnd appears to be impressed with his site. Others of the caravan comment on this position saying it is better than the usual position that clan Ragan has had in previous years. Once Ashain rejoins the warband he tells them of his discussion with his father while at his clanhouse. “It appears that I am to travel now and spread the word and deeds of the Grey Slayer to all, if by the Grey Slayers will I am to find a place to setup my own church then that is to be the will of the King of the Icy Winds but until that day I must travel.” Ashain informs the warband.

The warband assist in setting up the campsite with Kurnd’s huscarls running message after message and rarely appear in the camp before they are beckon and dispatched on yet another errand for their Valhakar. Each of the tradesmen after setting up their camp soon disappear to conduct business of their own.

Once the work is complete and Clan Ragan has established their camp with coat of arms displayed for all to see Kjarl makes his way to the shipyard to catch up with Staabo the shipwright master. Although Staabo is glad to see Kjarl again he is far to busy at this time to speak with him at length, Staabo tells Kjarl to catch up with him another time.

The rest of the warband now head of in search of the market but are denied access as the market is not opened until the beginning of the 3rd watch tomorrow and as they are neither mercantylers, traders or their representatives they are not permitted to enter. From their vantage point they can see that all kinds of wares are available for sale. The warband begin to search through their beltpouches in search of coin to see if they have the coin needed to purchase the goods that they are eyeing off.

Rain begins to fall late in the afternoon and with the day drawing to a close the warband return to the camp and eat a few pieces of bread and cheese washed down with some ale. After their evening meal Kurnd approaches the warband and says “I am glad I have found you all together, I have some ill news for you. You were hired by Taarl Ragan and I promised you that I would honour his agreement. Unfortunately the events that lead to your employment no longer exsist and as a result I no longer have need of your services. You were promised payment of 1d per day for your services for a period of 30 days I know the 30 day period has yet to expire, but I offer you this” handing each member of the warband 4 shillings each “in the hope that it will in some way offset the termination of our agreement. If you find yourselves in need of employment at the end of Bjarri’s feast I could use some caravan guards for our return trip. Think on it some and if you agree find me out and I will take you on.”

Each of the warband nods his head in acceptance of these terms.

Kurnd then says “I can offer the shelter of my camp for this night but on the morrow I would ask that you would take your leave.” The warband nod their understanding and leave the fire and make their way inside one of the tents where they find rest with the sounds of rain falling upon the canvas tentage.
Neil
AtW GM

Return to From Across the Water