Session Twenty-Seven, July 2, 2005

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Twenty-Seven, July 2, 2005

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:43 pm

Agrazhar 14, 730 TR

We begin our story with Sir Baris, who had stayed behind to relax and guard the Palliser House while the rest of the party traveled to Selvos. However, he quickly became bored, and when Sir Tovar came by for drinks, that most excellent commander suggested he could have some legionnaires walk by every so often to watch the house. Baris was elated, and as soon as Tovar left Baris was riding (somewhat drunkenly) towards Selvos.

When the rest of the party came down to the common room of the White Gold Inn for the usual breakfast and discussion on the morning of the fourteenth of Agrazhar, they were surprised to find Baris seated and beginning his own breakfast. Surprised, and a little unhappy, as they had understood Baris to be guarding Palliser House. Baris explained the situation, and they got down to the usual business.

The party began, as all good breakfast conversations begin, on the topic of zombies. There was some discussion about the possibility of zombies coming up from the ruined Morgathian temple by way of an underground tunnel. However, this would be a rather difficult feat, as it was pointed out there would be the need to tunnel underwater. So it appeared there would be no terrible zombie uprising after all.

Breakfast was brought to the party, and in between bites Ewen mentioned the rather novel idea of beating people up to make friends with them. Well, in all fairness the idea was to start a barfight to ingratiate ourselves with the locals, but this possibility was soon dropped for the even better idea of Baris and Ewen beating each other up, in the hopes of making friends. Of course, Baris would need to go as Karl. A knight proves his manliness in other ways – on the field of battle, which a bar decidedly is not.

As he sipped a morning ale, Baris suddenly had a brilliant insight! He raised the possibility of, rather than using violence to make friends, that he and Ewen drink beer to do so. Perhaps they would have a drinking contest, and use some of the drugs they had used in the past to gain an advantage. However, it was pointed out it would be rather difficult to obtain such drugs in Selvos (Golotha it is not) and, moreover, Baris seemed to have forgotten the most uncomfortable aftereffects of those drugs. Thankfully, this idea was dropped.

Of course, any such plan, whether it is starting a barfight or drinking is something to be done at night, and there was still a whole day before then! Ewen wisely suggested that he and Baris attempt to gather information around the wharf, and then go drinking. Whether they gained information or not, well, at least the night wouldn’t be wasted.

Showing the hard stomachs our party has, they began discussing dead bodies over breakfast. Given our experiences with the embalmer in Golotha, the most worthy Boraga, it was suggested we attempt to contact the local counterpart to see what information he had. Embalmers can learn a lot about the underside of whatever community they live in. Although, this is not Golotha – there is not such a large market in dead flesh, so the man might not know as much.

As he finished his sausage, Ewen suggested that he might query the innkeeper in the hopes of gaining information. Because, after embalmers, innkeepers have the best information on the underbelly of any town. Of course, he would need to be careful. This is Selvos, and people asking after dead bodies is passing strange. Ewen decided he would simply approach the innkeeper as a harper looking for a good story for his next song.

As breakfast began to be finished, the conversation passed to the events of the last few days. There was some discussion of whether and how to apologize to the Kaldoric Knight, Sir Autten. It was suggested that Baris, as a fellow knight, could perform the duty. The words “harpy” and “shrew” were bandied about, much to the displeasure of Bevan. Thankfully the talk turned to sedition before it came to blows.

The party had noticed that Selvos is a rather intolerant town. They are none too pleased with the religious tolerance of the current King. It seems that, in Selvos, whenever a new majority takes over, they persecute everyone else. It was suggested that the town might not be explicitly seditious; their dislike of the current King’s policies may simply be their general intolerance and not any particular problem with the current ruler.

Sipping her wine, Imarë mentioned the possibility that the sailor the party was looking for had been shanghaied by pirates! Upon further discussion, however, it was decided this was not a likely possibility, given that most pirate activity is confined to the more southern waters.

Finally, it was decided that Imarë and Bevan would search the woods, while Sir Baris (as Karl) and Ewen would ask around the docks. As the rest of the party relaxed in the common room, preparing for the day, Baris went up to his room to change into Karl, Super Common Man – laborer by day, brawler and drinker by night. Although, no one ever seems to see him laboring.

Ewen and Karl headed down to the docks. The weather was surprisingly nice. It was a comfortably warm day, Ewen and Karl could smell the salt on the breeze, and there was not a cloud in the sky. There was a small patrol crossing the bridge from the castle, headed into town. Ewen noted that the dak that had been in the harbor when he, Bevan, and Imarë had arrived, was gone. The wharf was full of sailors, naturally, and laborers. The calls of men giving orders “carry this, pick that up, be careful, you idiot!” were heard as a ship was loaded.

Most of the sailors were off to one side, not wanting to dirty their hands with loading a ship. That was work for teamsters, not real men like sailors. “Do you think we should inquire at the pilots guild?” Ewen suggested to Baris. “Do we have any contacts there?” Baris asked. “No,” admitted Ewen, “I guess not. It would look rather strange for some strangers to ask there after a missing sailor. Perhaps we should speak to these fine seamen,” and he called out to the lounging sailors.

“Ahoy there! What can we do for you, mate?” asked on of them. “Where do you hail from, mate?” Ewen asked. “Golotha,” the sailor said. “We come from there ourselves,” said Ewen. “If ye be wantin’ passage, you’ll need to inquire with the cap’n.”

“No, no, I do not need passage,” said Ewen, I was looking for a sailor that went missing recently? He’s a friend of mine, you see.” Unfortunately, this sailor knew nothing about this. He spent more time “getting lucky,” as he put it, than worrying about something like that. “Perhaps you should ask those louts over at the ‘Lucky Lady,’ they might know more, seeing as they spend more time here in Selvos.”

Ewen thanked him, and he and Karl headed over to the Lucky Lady. He suggested that they should head over to the brothel later – to keep up appearances, of course. Baris reluctantly agreed. “We wouldn’t want suspicions roused…”

The Lucky Lady was a small nivik, a long and slender fishing boat too small to require a pilot. The crew was unloading a catch as the party came up to them, apparently not having the same qualms about manual labor as the other sailors. Seeing that they were busy, Karl suggested inquiring with them later, seeing as people are less talkative when they are working. After a brief discussion, he and Ewen decided to continue their inquiries at the fish market.

The fish market consisted of about a dozen carts with awnings, manned mostly by men, save for a lone woman who was selling shellfish. Of course, Ewen decided to most likely source of information was the woman, and so he and Karl approached the cart.

The woman was rather attractive, and was about twenty years old. “My good fishwife,” said Ewen. He peered at her mussels. “How are your oysters?” he asked. “My oysters are very fine indeed, would you like a taste?” Ewen was so enamored with the taste (or the fishwife) that he ordered a dozen.

Finally, after trading winks and innuendo with the maiden for a time, and arranging a meeting at her “other shop” between two and four, Ewen turned to business. “I am trying to track down a friend. Where would I inquire about finding him?” he asked. “You might try to the ‘seamen’s hostel’, or the ‘Safe Harbor’” said the fish-maiden. Ewen thanked her, and assured her he would meet her later.

As they left the fish market and headed toward the seamen’s guildhall, Baris jabbed Ewen in the ribs, complaining he would be going to the brothel alone. “No reason not to go to the brothel,” Ewen said, and the men shared a laugh.

Ewen and Baris approached the guildhall. “Ahoy there, I am looking for a friend of mine” the harper called to the bouncer. “I was trying to find out what ships he might have been on. He was supposed to be coming in a few days ago, you see.”

“You don’t look like a seamen,” said the bouncer. “I am a harper,” said Ewen, fishing out some coins.

“A harper, eh? Might you want to play a few songs in the guildhall, tonight or tomorrow? You can bring you sidekick here.” Karl was not too pleased at being described as a sidekick, but did not speak up. Ewen agreed to play in the guildhall.

The harper again asked about ships that had arrived lately, that his friend might have been on. The bouncer mentioned the Lucky Lady, and the ship most of the party arrived on. “I heard someone on the ship my friend was on ran into trouble,” Ewen stated, hoping to draw out information about the missing sailor. However, the bouncer informed him that no one on a ship ran into trouble later, though a local boy had done so.

“Where did he run into trouble, so I can avoid it?” Karl asked the bouncer.

“Well, he was drinking at the Safe Harbor, as he always does” the bouncer replied. “Some of us think he fell into the harbor. Though, he is so skinny, if he fell into the harbor he would probably float!” Ewen and Baris nodded, thinking that this description jived with what they know of the boy.

The conversation ended there, with Ewen and Baris learning the missing person was a local boy. It was about noon.

At this point, Ewen and Baris headed over to the brothel, to gather information of course. This being Selvos, there was only one brothel in town. The duo arrived, finding a bouncer and some ladies strutting on the porch of the establishment. Seeing some new customers, the bouncer nodded them in.

Once inside, they were served terrible ale, that was not improved by being watered down. The food was not much better. Nor was there an impressive selection of women. “This is no Golothan brothel,” Baris said. “Not like Jarop’s place, at any rate,” agreed Ewen.

The greasy, bearded, long haired, mean-looking pimp appeared. He was in his early thirties, and a rather unpleasant odor wafted off him in waves. “Girls or dice?” he asked laconically. “Girls” Karl replied. “Dice” Ewen said. “Well, I guess we could start with dice,” said Karl reluctantly.

Karl, Ewen and the pimp went into the back room, where the gambling table was set up. For the most part, the clients consisted of sailors, though one city guard, a man by the name of Jareal, was in attendance.

“We’ve got some money to lose” Ewen said loudly to the crowd. Ewen may have had money to lose (and Baris as well), but a laborer like Karl did not. At hearing the cover charge, Karl decided to save his money for the girls, and politely declined to partake in gambling. Ewen, however, decided to play. He started out slow, but at the end was up fifteen pence, wiping out Jareal. “I’ll remember you” the guard muttered to Ewen as he grabbed his spear and helmet and stomped out.

After the gambling, the attention turned to whores. Four sad looking women who looked used and abused. Ewen went for a well endowed woman, Karl for the opposite, hoping to find the skinny man’s taste and so gain some more information. The pimp informed the pair that the price would be two and a quarter pence each. Karl blanched at this, but paid up. Either Selvos has a sin tax, or the pimp is just a greedy bastard. Considering the selection, he was charging quite a bit.

Sadly, Ewen and Baris learned nothing in their trysts, and around two they took their leave. After all, it was getting close to the time that Ewen was supposed to meet the fish-maiden.

We now turn our attention to Bevan and Imarë, who were searching the lands to the north. They traveled along the north bank of the river. They went out about four miles, searching for unusual tracks, ruins and the like. They wandered around most of the day, but found nothing unusual. There were a few woodsmen’s trails, but no Morgathian crypts rising ominously out of the woods or zombies wandering about the forest.

Karl left Ewen at the fish-maiden’s home, smiling ruefully to himself, and headed off to the “Safe Harbor” to get a drink before looking for the embalmer. There were a number of sailors in the bar, but also laborers and low-rent mercenaries. Karl sidled up to the bar “I could definitely use a drink,” he said to the barkeep. “That will be a farthing,” said the barkeep. Karl paid, taking a seat at the bench, keeping a wary eye on the scum. A young kid, flute sticking out of his pocket, was carrying drinks and food to patrons. Feeling his stomach rumbling, Karl ordered some cheese and bread.

As the serving girl brought his food, he inquired about his skinny friend, Daskim (a name he made up on the spot), but that went nowhere. ‘We will need to learn the name of the skinny sailor if we are going to make much more progress,’ Baris thought.

Ewen walked up to the fish-maiden’s home. Nearby, someone was getting their hair cut, and some toughs with tankards glared at Ewen as he passed, but said nothing. Ewen knocked, and after a moment the woman appeared. She looked much nicer, having changed into a cleaner dress. She invited the harper into her home, and the two stepped into a small room furnished with a bench, table and chairs. There was no sign of a this being a business establishment, as she had intimated before. There seemed to be little doubt that she was sincere in her flirting earlier. Ewen did note that there were two curtained rooms, however.

“I haven’t seen you around”, the woman said.

Ewen came back from his reverie. “I am recently from Golotha. Quite a nice place you have here.”

“Selling fish doesn’t bring in much money”, the woman said.

“I’m sure a pretty girl can make her way.”

“Well, from time to time there are unexpected expenses come up, but some gentlemen help a girl out.”

“I have some trouble, though, says Ewen.”

“I find it hard to believe someone like you has any troubles” the fishmonger said, smiling sweetly.

“Well, I was dicing ...” Ewen began.

“Went to the brothel, ey?” the woman interrupted.

“Well, you need to scout out the local establishments,” Ewen said, and coughed. “I bet the sailor wasn’t going to wash up, for half a shilling,” and the woman’s eyes went wide, “But now I gotta find him if I’m going to win!”

The woman sighed. “He probably fell into the harbor and drowned. Brin was his name. You’re probably out half a shilling.”

“Nobody will miss him but his family, ‘eh?” Ewen said, fishing for information.

“He doesn’t have a family – he was an orphan.”

“So when he washes up, do you have a local embalmer?”

“Aned is his name” the woman informed the harper.

Then they rolled in the hay, which was hardly winding for Ewen. His endurance in love matters was great. Though, sadly, his lack of luck pleasing the ladies continued. Afterwards the girl asked for some help with her finances. “You are so generous, and rich, and cute. Surely you could part with a shilling – or more?”

“Half shilling today, another half tomorrow,” said the harper.

The fish-maiden was disappointed. “I figured you for a greater man than that.”

Ewen said he would give her about ten pence, but as she failed to be satisfied, he finally put in the full shilling. At this point she hustled him out.

Back with Karl, some thugs came into the safe harbor. Looked around before they came in. They started talking about “How are we going to get them, get them back? We owe it to Danule.” Sounds like they got into a fight with some gang, it was down near the docks, they think this other gang kidnapped Danule, another member of their gang. During the fight, town watch came and they scattered, losing track of Danule. They assume since they can’t find him, the other gang kidnapped him.

Karl listened closer – “If he’s being held, it’s gotta be at the barbers. But only two of us, we couldn’t get him there.”

Karl went over and offered his services, (and a pair of ales) explaining he had recently left Golotha and didn’t want to labor anymore – looking for another line of work a strong man might be successful at. Solto and Cris (the toughs) were suspicious at first, and mentioned the barber, the enemy gang leader (possibly head of the local thieves guild) had a strong defense. We might need more men, they said. “I might be able to help with that,” Karl said. He explained he had traveled with some people who were in a similar situation to him. Karl said he would go speak to them, and return to plan or tell them he didn’t get the extra men. “We need a plan, need a plan!” said Cris. “Well, I’ve come up with a few plans myself, living in Golotha – I’m still alive, as you can see.”

The barber – enemy gang leader. Barber took over after “last master” got murdered. Danule not good in a fight – a scrawny boy. Not the same person as the sailor, but similar build. Are the two missing persons cases related?

The party met up at the White Gold Inn around 5.

Ewen related the tale of the fish-wife.

The party planned for a bit, and finally decided to get more info.

Baris would talk to the stooges, find out about the layout of the barber’s, and if they’re sure as to the numbers of the opposing forces. Are you sure Danule was captured? Also find out more info about them.

Ewen was going to the seamen’s hostel to play, and gather information about the brawl the stooges were in (it’s probably already gossip – the town watch had to be called out).

Bevan was going to meet Maeba.

With this decided, the party went down to the common room. Sir Autten and Bren, his young, nubile squire are there.

Ewen spoke to the barkeep – ordered some fish, asked after who could give him a shave and a haircut. “The barber is quite good – most of best people in town go to him. His name is Vastyl. Though watch out – he rents rooms to supplement his income, but he isn’t very discriminating among tenants, and things can get rough.”

The ladies ordered a bath – but got a basin, so getting clean could take awhile.

Karl and went to meet the stooges. He told them they would need more info before they planned the attack. He learned they did not know the layout of the barber’s, and sometimes there are more men. They seemed pretty sure Danule was captured – “they’re trying to push us out!” Looks like the Solto and Cris are independent thieves or thugs, and the Guild isn’t taking kindly to them. It took awhile, but eventually Karl got them to agree to stake out the place during the night. The stooges said the fish wife wasn’t connected to the barber. Fish wife has other suitors – miller, a guy in the castle, Laranian priests. Seeing the interest of the stooges in the bawdier aspects of his talk, Karl talked a bit along those lines, hoping to get them more comfortable with him, and the conversation passed from business.

After a bit, Karl went off to the seamen’s hostel, where Ewen was playing, rather well. At the end of the night, he had 3d tip. A good time was had by all.

Vok comes over – “That was a fine set of songs- you’re not a bad strummer there. Here’s an ale! And we’ll bring out some food for ya! I liked the one about the butts at the cellar door – clever!”

“I like a man that can appreciate that sort of thing,” said Ewen.

Sailors and a mix of locals and not – 2/3rds locals. Most are not associated with any given ship. Do hear talk of a ship called “The Storm Wind.” It is a larger ship, captained/piloted by a well-respected guy (don’t catch his name) and he is due in any time from a trading voyage to Aleath. Ship might be taking on extra crew for a more extended voyage to Golotha and Cherafir beyond. The seaman are eager to sign on board for that voyage, but it might be wishful thinking that the cap’n is looking for more men. The Storm Wind is a local vessel.

Ewen spoke to some sailors. Fishing has been good, but mercantile stuff not so much. There was some worry about the King up north with the Vikings.

Ewen said, “I was supposed to hook up with a friend here in Selvos, but I can’t find him! He might have gotten into trouble, which would be just like him. His name is Ursus. He came in a few days before we got here.”

“Is he a seaman?”

“He does a bit of everything.”

“I hear about that floating brothel under the dock- *anything* you want! Anything!”

Ewen – “I heard about a brawl, was worried my friend was caught up in!”

“There’s always a brawl on the docks.”

“Heard they had to bring the watch in!”

“Oh, those men finally earning their pay!”

Someone broke in – “Yeah, I heard about that – they went in, the action had broken up, so they went home!”

“Useless!” Ewen said.

“I bet the watch never has to draw their swords.”

“So how come the place stays so tame?”

“It’s small, and some keep their heads down. Though back in the day of the earl, they kept this place tight! The Earl had mercs., and they were tough! You could be accused of being Morgathian, or Agrikan, or worse, and then that would be it for you. Attach you to a pole, then you’d drown as the tide came in! Sick bunch.”

We asked directly if anyone knew Brin. The “pool” of when the guy washes on shore came up. Ewen put a penny on the guy washing up the next night at sundown. Baris, (as Karl) declined. Karl doesn’t have the money to throw around, and he already spent too damn much on crappy ale and ugly whores at the brothel!

After that Ewen and Baris left the hostel. As they make their way to the door there are two men having a drunken argument that has taken a turn for the worst. One of the men punches the other knocking him into Ewen causing them to stumble backwards. As they regain their footing the man turns around and cases Ewen deciding that he looks like he could certainly be part of the problem and lands a hard punch on Ewen’s leather-protected chest. With tempers and testosterone rising in the room, Ewen returns with a swing at the man’s chest. This appears to infuriate him further and he lunges at Ewen. In an attempt to knock Ewen to the ground he wraps his arms around him, but his plan is foiled when the original attacker knocks him over the head freeing Ewen from his grasp.

Meanwhile Sir Baris has been brought into the melee as well when he dodges a tankard thrown his way. In retaliation, he swings, landing a punch squarely on the man’s nose. In a grotesque explosion of blood the man crumbles lifeless to the ground.

Ewen, while blocking yet another attack, did not witness this rather brutish but impressive display of strength. Another man then attempts to grab Sir Baris from behind but learns quickly that Sir Baris has a head of stone as he head butts the man sending him into another causing a new brawl to erupt. Ewen turns in time to see this and catches the attention of Sir Baris. Side-by-side with their backs to the wall they see Vok brandishing a club in an attempt to bring order to his hostel. Sir Baris decides this is definitely a good time to make haste and Ewen concurs. Sir Baris leads clearing a path to the door by throwing a man aside knocking him into a table.

As they exit into the warm summer night free of the scent of ale and sweat they inspect themselves for injuries. Ewen is happy to see his lute also made it out unscathed. On the way back to the White Gold Inn, they met a beggar, gave him two pence. Arriving at the Inn, they see Daerga of Ekimon depart the inn. As he is a leaving a big man with a spiked club says “Time to leave?” Obviously a bodyguard for Daerga.

Baris gets rid of his private room, which was quite expensive, and he and Ewen split the price and bed of one room.

Agrazhar 15, 730 TR

We started the morning, around 8am, about talking about training each other in weapons. Where we would do that was discussed, and the possibility of training at the bailey of Caer Chakta, and possibly helping to train Blors’ men.

It began to rain outside. Hard rain. The Effetes were in the common room, and two new faces – a middle aged man and a younger man. Perhaps a merchant and journeyman. The White Gold Inn seems to double as a restaurant, since a lot of times the customers are locals. Not all the rooms are usually taken, except during a fair.

It was pointed out that there is a Laranian mass today. Imarë went to the woods for a religious devotion. Bevan was going to the Laranian temple and then the embalmer.

Baris and Ewen go off to the barber – haircuts will be done inside, due to the rain. “I’m here to see the barber,” said Ewen. The unshaven man who answered the door seemed unsure, sputtered until Baris said “We need a shave and a haircut.”

“Oh, ok, come on in” said the ‘doorman.’ We went into the room – a small room. We entered by the south door. Went through the kitchen, hall, through a door to the east, into the shop. “and next time come through the front door,” the doorman said.

The barber came in – a good looking guy, with a goatee – decent haircut. Maybe a little older than Ewen – late 20s. “I understand you want a shave and a haircut.” “Yes, the guy at the inn suggested you do a good job,” said Ewen. “Yes, I will have to thank him. Ordinarily I would work outdoors, but on account of the rain I’m working inside. I see you are new in town.”

“Yes, we just came from Golotha,” said Ewen.

“Oh, quite a town. I keep meaning to go – what can I do? Where do you recommend?”

“Oh, I know lots of people in Golotha. I’m a harper.”

“Oh! Did you play at the seamen’s guild last night?”

“Yes.”

“I hear Vok wants to talk to you, see if you are alright! Hahaha! Not a scratch on either of you.” (He looks at Sir Baris, who shrugs). “What brings you to Selvos?”

Ewen: “Looking for a friend, who told me to meet him here. I think something happened to him.”

Barber: “Not much happens in Selvos, it’s a quiet little town.”

The barber finished with Ewen, started on Karl.

“And what brings you to Selvos?”

Karl: “I had to get out of Golotha, too dangerous.”

Barber: “Well, yes, some people stay from those kinds of things.” (Shave, shave.)

Karl: “Yes, it’s nice and quiet here.”

Barber: “Stuff does happen from time to time.”

Karl: “Such as? I hear something happened to the Agrikans.”

“Oh, that was awhile ago.”

The conversation drifted to non business stuff, Baris unable to think of any more questions that would not give him away.

Afterwards – the barber is good, Ewen and Baris have a close shave, nice haircut. Front or not, he knows his trade. They left around noon.

Afterwards, Ewen said to Baris, “We gotta take Dascomb out for a night on the town! Loosen him up, put a few drinks in him.”

“Yeah,” Baris replied. “That could be fun. Maybe not tonight – we might have business tonight. There are nicer brothels in Golotha.”

Ewen and Baris headed off to Vok, who the barber mentioned was looking for us.

“Oh, I was worried about you!” the bruised Vok said. “Some guy got killed even!”

“Oh, we got out before it got so bad that you were injured, my good Vok.” Karl said.

“Yeah, I was worried, about you Karl, I know that isn’t your thing.” Vok said, implying Karl was a wimp.

“Ah, well, that is why we left – too violent.”

“Could be worse,” said Ewen. “The silk hat got burned down in Golotha.”

“Yeah, I heard about that, those Agrikans are crazy, I sure am glad we don’t have them here.”

“Yeah, there was a midget they didn’t like who was there, so they burned the place down. Actually, I wrote a song about him.”

“Oh?” said Vok.

“Yeah, about him and an elf he fancies.”

“Oh, you should play that tonight!”

“Yeah. We got a haircut from the barber – he’s pretty good.”

Vok: “Well, you should watch out about him.”

“Yeah, looks like he’s into more than just haircuts,” said Ewen.

Bevan went to mass. Afterwards, she spoke to the head priest, and the previous unpleasantness was forgotten. “You are welcome here at the temple at any time. Indeed, if we can help you in whatever way, access to the archives, you have but to ask. All I ask in return is that you keep me informed,” said Barald Palgren, the Laranian high priest.

“I said I’d do that already,” Bevan replied.

“How discourteous of me to remind you.”

“I don’t make empty promises,” said Bevan.

“I heard you had gone to Coranan?”

“Yes,” said Bevan, “in the last few weeks.”

“They say there is much presence in the government of people of our faith.”

“The Laranians are well represented, I would say.”

“I am glad to hear that.”

“It is not the only prominent religion, but yes, we are well represented.”

“Oh, that is so gratifying,” the priest said happily. “And it pleases me to know daughters of the church like you have influence,” he said breathlessly on the last word. “I am so enjoyed our talk, and I’m so glad you attended services. I hope I see you again soon.”

“Sure, whenever you have the pleasure.”

Then the line moved on, and the unpleasantness seemed unforgotten.

Ewen and Baris went over to the safe harbor to see if they could find Solto and Cris, but they weren’t there. Karl asked the innkeeper if he had seen the pair, but no. Since they weren’t buying anything, they were brushed off, and so they left.

Bevan went off to find the embalmer. She asked someone on the street, who pointed her to his home. “Though he might not be there, he’s off on his own.” “Is he a bit of a nature guy?” “No, no – he thinks a lot. I don’t know the word for it.” “Visionary?” “I don’t know.” “Is he from Selvos?” “Yes, but he has a lot of time on his hands.”

As it happens, about the same time Bevan goes to the embalmer’s, Sir Baris and Ewen are coming out of the Safe Harbor, so they meet up, as the embalmer’s is next door.

Ewen goes off to find the beggar he and Baris ran into the night before. He finds the beggar under a tarp.

“Interesting place, Selvos, I bet you see a lot.”

“Yeah, I see a lot of people goin’ about their business.”

“Everyone says that, why?”

“That’s what everyone does.”

“Everyone says things are quiet not many people disappear, though someone did!” He puts a penny in the bowl.

“Yeah, someone disappeared, though nothing nefarious as far as I could tell.”

“How would someone investigate?”

“Oh, sir, that is beyond my ken, but ...” (another penny). “There are some who are new to town, like you are, who are looking. I don’t know if that has anything to do with disappearances that I know nothing about, but …”

“Oh, but I want to know about that.”

“There is a man who would not put a penny in a bowl of a humble beggar, a mercantile man, who I hear is looking for a man. But between you and me generous master” (another pause, another penny) “I don’t think he even has a brother.”

Another penny. “How would I recognize him?”

“Oh, you would recognize him master. He’s a man with a scar on his face; makes his lips look like his mouth is pulled up on the right hand side. Long brown hair – Ferjan he calls himself. You’ll know him by the perfume. It can’t hide the real smell. Have you smelled it master, smelled it before?”

“You speak of the crypt,” said Ewen.

“The smell of death master. Anyone who has ever smelled death knows it, and will never forget it.”

“When did he arrive?”

“About a week ago.”

“Who does he associate with?”

“That I can’t say master, he’s staying at the mercantyler’s guildhall, he’s a merchant of some sort. You are smart, there are a lot of merchants in this town, not many would put a silver penny in the bowl of a beggar.”

“Perhaps we could have a word now and then?”

“That would be fine with me master.”

“I like to look out for the disadvantaged.” He puts two more pennies in, and walks off.

“Master,” the beggar called. “You remind me of someone, someone I met long ago.”

“Who is that?”

“Memory fades, I must be mistaken. Blessings of the goddess upon you master.”

Back at the embalmer’s, they knock on the door, which is answered by a little girl. “We’re here to see the embalmer,” said Bevan. “I’m not supposed to talk to strangers.” “Then you better go get your daddy!” That sent the girl running off. The embalmer brought them in for a conversation.

Into his parlor, slash work area. “Tell me, are you of the Palliser family of Heroth?”

“Yes, do you know my father?”

“Oh, yes, I am a fan of his writings!”

“Oh, yes.” (Dad writes?)

“His thoughts about the immediacy of death are brilliant – groundbreaking!”

“That is my father – he astounds even me.”

“You must be very privileged. It is an honor to make your acquaintance, and an embarrassment, given my humble skills.”

“Oh, my father says dedication to a field is important.”

“Thank you, my lady.”

“I like having the time to ponder the nature of life & death. I would love to talk to know blah, blah ...” (Baris rolled his eyes as his brain began to glaze over. Ewen showed up, thankfully).

“There is an embalmer in Golotha?”

“Oh ... Boraga, I’ve heard of him. He is a legend. Oh, yes, he doesn’t have a lot of time to ponder life and death. Including the shadow.”

“The shadow?” Asks Bevan?

“The Shadow of Bukrai – it is a fearsome thing lady. You never, never wish to have an encounter with the shadow.”

“I thought the shadow only appeared during march?”

“OH, no, the shadow is integral part of the undead. IF you enter into the sphere of the shadow, you must choose, you must choose!”

“So the shadow is here in Selvos?”

“Oh, I hope not! We would be defenseless against it this days. Only the Laranians could possibly help us, and even they might not be able to.”

“What is the shadow?”

“The shadow is madness, not reason! It is the followers of Morgath who attempt to bring forth the shadow.”

“I have heard of this shadow existing in Golotha, but it does not exist all the time?”

“No, but it does. There are those who are of the world, but not of the world. The dead who are not dead, the dead who still live, the dead who still live, who still think. Those who are called amorvrin, they are possessed by the shadow. The shadow comes to you, and gives you a choice: accept the shadow of Klyss, the necromancer – or fight it. Those who fight it and lose find their spirit stripped, consumed by the shadow of Bukrai. They become do not become amorvrin, they become gulmorvrin – the unthinking undead, the unthinking servants of Klyss. Any of the morvrin exude the shadow. Any living creature who comes into contact with the shadow is forced to make the choice. If you resist and survive – I do not know what happens. And you must feed the shadow – you must feed Bukrai, who can only be fed by the souls of the living.”

“You’ve given me a lot of insight into this, I appreciate this. perhaps we could have more discussions.”

“I would like to, your father has given me a lot of insight.”

“We will have a lot of good conversations, then.”

“I will help you in any way I can.”

“Have you had much business?”

“Yes, one body this week – a sailor killed in a barfight.”

“I had come here because I heard of two disappearances,” said Baris.

“I had heard of one – a local sailor.”

“Oh, there was one who I heard was captured by the barber.”

“Oh, no, he is just a barber!” Said the embalmer.

“If you find anything, let me know?”

“Where can I reach you?”

“I am at the White Gold Inn.”

“Oh, I would expect nothing less. You will have to come speak to me sometime – there are few I can really speak to here in Selvos.”

“I think you might educate me more than I you.”

“I would be honored to think that, my lady.”

Ewen and Sir Baris went off to the fish-maiden’s. Beforehand they discussed Karl’s cover story. “Ewen, I think if anyone asks, I should just tell the truth – say I’m watching out for my friend who is boinking the fish-woman.”

“You’ve gone into other places as my strongman, so let’s be consistent.” says Ewen.

Ewen knocks on the door, a ten year-old boy opens it. He calls to an eleven year-old, “We gotta get outta here!” They run out.

Malkea came to the door. “Oh, Ewen, I’m so glad to see you!”

“Who were they?”

“Oh, those were my brothers, I’m sorry, they were supposed to be gone when you came. When my parents died, I was left to care after them ... you understand.” She wraps herself around Ewen “I’ve been thinking about you all day.”

“I’ve been looking forward to us having some time together.”

“I prepared a meal for us!”

“I would be delighted!”

“Have you been able to solve your problem, have you found anything about the missing boy?”

“Not to speak of – this seems an interesting town.”

“Oh, I find it dull.”

“It wasn’t dull at the hostel last night!”

“A fight?”

“Yes, I was barely able to get out with my lute intact.”

She gropes him “Oh, I’m glad it’s intact! Play me a song!” Ewen plays her a romantic song – good performance.

“No wonder you caused a riot at the seamen’s hostel.”

“You grew up in Selvos, do you know someone at the mercantyler guildhall? Can you get me in there to play – might be able to be better than the hostel.”

“I know Taanar, the guildmaster, he might be able to get you in. Daerga, also Valenar of Emyn.”

Dinner was fast.

Ewen: “I’ve been dying to ask you since we met: do you know someone named Theron Palliser?”

“Don’t know him, does he live in Selvos?”

“No.”

“Is he a merchant?”

“No, a wizard.”

“OH! That’s incredible, I thought they were myths!”

“Oh, no, he turns people into shrubbery all the time!”

“Oh, my gosh, did you ever meet him?”

“Well, I met him once.”

“Oh, did he turn you into a shrub?”

“No. Though I hear there are some who are bad who come through here. Just this morning someone told me to stay away from a guy with a scar and a bad smell.”

“Oh, I know him.”

“Oh, do you? He sounded very bizarre.”

“Oh, I do, he arrived in town 5-6 days ago, says he’s looking for his brother.”

“That’s the guy.”

“Funny, no one I know has heard of this brother.”

“Did he say the brothers name?”

“Oh, yes, Jant. Jant.”

“Yeah, so no one has ever heard of the guy?”

“Said his brother was, what did he say? Had gotten lost, was that it?”

“Lost in Selvos?”

“That’s what he said- it’s hard to believe. He describes his brother as a small, slight pale fellow.”

“Doesn’t seem it would talk 4-5 days to make sure Selvos doesn’t have someone.”

“From what I’ve heard, he hasn’t been looking all that hard.”

“Oh, he’s up to something isn’t he,” said Ewen.

“The man of whom you speak, though he isn’t much of a man – not like you.”

“I hope you didn’t have first hand experience.”

“What kind of girl do you take me for? He’s staying at the mercantyler’s guild. The word is he has been asking for his brother, but with little success.”

“I met the local barber this morning.”

“Oh, my neighbor, what did you think of him?”

“A very intense fellow.”

“Yes, what did you think of him?”

“He was interesting – he asked a lot of interesting questions about Golotha. He seemed to be ... he had a certain presence about him. An air of confidence.”

“Yes. I have been having such a hard time making ends meet lately ... you saw my brothers – they take so much to feed. They hate fish.” Ewen gives her a shilling. “Oh, that is sooo generous. Yes, the barber is from Golotha.”

“Oh, he didn’t tell me that! I enjoy comparing notes. I guess he hasn’t been there in awhile!”

“Yes, after the matter with his wife!”

“Oh, I’m a harper, you know I love gossip!”

“Yes, but, oh, it has been so hard making ends meet lately …” Ewen gives her another 6d. “Oh, it was terrible! The last barber, and his assistant – killed his wife! It was horrifying

Why would they do that?”

“Oh, I have no idea, but they were hanged for murder, and then Vastyl took over his barber.”

“Are you sure how that is how it went down?”

“Oh, yes, I was at the hanging.”

“Yes, but about the actual murder.”

“OH, Vastyl was the only witness. He has been pining ever since.”

“Does he ever take comfort with the ladies?”

“Oh, he knows the pimp.”

“Oh, I don’t know how much comfort can be had from the ladies over there.”

She reaches down “No, that takes a woman who loves you ...”

Fade to black.

After two hours, she rushed him out. Ewen said to Baris, “Man, this woman is fleecing me!”

“Was the information worth it?”

Baris and Ewen went back to the inn, met up with the party and traded info. Ewen proposes a theory: “Ferjan is the one who is kidnapping the skinny people. He is looking for someone of that description, so he is taking all the skinny men.”

“Maybe we should find a skinny man and have a stake-out,” said Baris.

That night at the White Gold Inn, Taanar was there, and he saw Ewen – called him over.

“Let’s have a drink to my health. Oh, call your friends over! I really love this town, other than usual business problems.”

“It is a nice place,” said Ewen.

“It is a nice quiet place. Selvos is eternal – you might consider that, young master harper, young master whelp – you might remember that. Selvos is eternal.”

“Would there be an opportunity for me to play at the guildhall. Only if it would please you.”

“We usually use it for business, but I heard your performance brought down the house, so you have my permission to play at the guildhall tomorrow night. After business is conducted.”

“Of course.”

“I hear you have a number of bawdy songs.”

“I do ...” Ewen smiled.

“And you are going to sing every single one ...”

“If it please you Master Taanar.”

“And you’re going to start with the least bawdy, and work your way to the dirtiest song!”

“You see that blonde over at the table?” He gestures at Imarë. “I wrote a really good song about her and a midget.”

“Oh, I thought you said you rode her really good!”

“Oh, that was another time. But we’ll be the only ones who know who the song is about, right?”

“So the slinky one is basically easy ...”

“Oh, she’s willing. Are you interested?”

“Well, I wasn’t, but then I realized I was able.”

“I’ll try and work something out. Tomorrow evening?”

“Tomorrow evening, I’m feeling randy tonight!” Said Taanar.

“Master Taanar, thank you for the excellent wine. I think it would be best if I return to my table – I have my work cut out for me.”

“You do indeed, master harper!”

Please note, Taanar is a really old guy – he might have a heart attack!

Ewen convinced Imarë to go along with it. Imarë is a team player, and will do with what needs to be done.

Imarë went over and flirted with Taanar. Not much happened between them (he is over 70 after all), but it seemed to please Taanar.

So ends Agrazhar 15.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle