Session Forty-Nine - August 4, 2007

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Forty-Nine - August 4, 2007

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:45 pm

Agrazhar 15/16, 731

As the desserts come sailing in at Galopea’s Feast, an occasional “ooh” and “aaah” can be heard. Mak looks a bit crestfallen that the desserts aren’t being better received. The Earl of Balim looks at the offered desserts but doesn’t take any, instead looks to Mak for brandy. Mak slaps his head and an expression of ‘should of thought of that’ appears on his face as he moves out the door to fulfill the Earl’s request.

Over at the far table Rahel murmurs to those seated with her, “Well that was exciting.” Kaelyn asks Rahel if they will question him, meaning Viktam. Rahel smiles saying he isn’t going anywhere.

Brandy received, Balim begins to look a bit bored. He turns to Ewen and asks him what else did he have planned for the evening. Ewen is a bit taken back; he would like to ask ‘wasn’t that enough?’ but instead asks the very powerful Earl “What is Your Lordship’s pleasure?” Balim smiles, not really fooled by the polite answer, and replies; “This evening has been interesting, but I believe there are other diversions offered here.” Sir Ewen says that he understands there are a number of options for diversions depending on one’s appetite.

The Earl looks over at Mak standing in the doorway and asks; “Do you still have that mastiff … what was his name?”

Imarë quickly answers “Bruno?”

“Yes that’s the one.” The Earl looks around at his table; “We are all going to the basement,” and he stands up and moves to the door. Kaelyn, having no interest in dog fighting, tries to decline, but the Earl overrides her objection.

In the basement the pit takes up almost a fourth of the room. There are tables and benches of fine quality situated throughout the room for the various patrons. The atmosphere is boisterous and for the most part everyone seems in good spirits. As Bruno is lead into the ring and the bets are placed the level of noise increases. Bruno, being the fine fighting mastiff that he his, wins his round. A comment about Bruno’s parentage sends Imarë and the Earl into a rather interesting discussion about dog fighting and the breeding of dogs.

During the discussion, Rahel glides up to Ewen and looking at the Earl and Imarë asks “you think those two … nah.” As Ewen chuckles at the thought, Rahel sends to him the message that she was observing the room during his performance and her various observations of those who witnessed it. Thilisa was pleased, the Earl of Balim thought the whole thing was grossly over staged, Sir Rollard was annoyed, Sir Retal was impressed, Mak wet himself, the Baroness was indifferent and the Baron of Stimos greatly enjoyed himself. At the mention of the Baron of Stimos, Ewen looks around for the Thardan ambassador, but does not see him.

After a few more rounds the Lady Thilisa announces to those interested that she is leaving. She takes Ewen’s hand briefly and smiles at him before taking Sir Rollard’s offered arm and departs. The Earl also takes his leave. No doubt leaving Gallopea’s Feast in high style in some carriage specifically designed to take him through the streets of Tashal. The lady Peresta and Sir Retal leave together a short time after the Earl leaves. A discreet inquiry by Ewen reveals that the Baron of Stimos went upstairs for other diversions.

The party decides to retire as well, although with the exception of Sir Baris (whose gout is acting up again) they go to Hag Hall. Outside there is a small hackamore waiting for Rahel. The hack can obviously only fit one other person, so Ewen climbs inside, telling the rest that he will meet them there. As the hack moves up the street towards Hag Hall, Cekiya quickly jumps and latches on to the back. She waves to Imarë and Kaelyn left standing on the street.

The hackamore stops at the corner of Ibuthine and Valdan Way, and Ewen pays a tuppence to the driver and mentions to Rahel that he has never seen one of these before. Rahel smiles her enigmatic smile and mentions only that ‘there aren’t many around.’ At the entrance to the alley there is a disheveled looking derelict who is glancing up and down the alleyway. As the trio pass him they can hear a tapping sound.

When the trio gets to Hag Hall, the front door is opened by the man-at-arms. Rahel asks if they are ready downstairs. The man-at-arms answers in the affirmative. Rahel and Ewen head downstairs while Cekiya waits in the foyer for Imarë and Kaelyn to arrive. It is now slightly past midnight.

Downstairs, in the same room the former Earl of Osel was held in, Dickon and Sir Harth await. Viktam Arwat, looking drugged and dazed, is seated in a chair in the corner with another man-at-arms to the side. Sir Harth looks at Rahel and says he is ready and they have not done anything yet save calm him down. Rahel nods and turns to Sir Ewen asking if he would care to do the honors. Ewen assents and Rahel places a hand on his arm and says ‘let me help you; focus and lightly, lightly trance.’ Ewen succeeds in the trance with Rahel’s help but cannot gain a rapport with Viktam. Rahel is not fazed. She gently takes over and tells Ewen to attempt to link through her. This time Ewen succeeds.

Ewen first asks about the insult to Thilisa and learns that Viktam suggested that she was pregnant and it was a trap to keep the King’s attention and only Larani knows who the father is. The second question is why Viktam wanted to kill Ewen. Viktam knows that Sir Denyl, Viktam’s cousin, had promised him that he would be his right hand man when Denyl inherited and that a knighthood would be in store for him, but then Ewen killed Denyl at the tournament and Viktam’s entire future collapsed as he wasn’t close or even all that friendly with the rest of the family. In fact, it seems the only reason that Sir Denyl and Viktam were close is that when they were younger they were playmates, and at one point in their youths Denyl fell and got hurt and Viktam helped him. Viktam thought this was their bonding moment. Ewen decides that’s a fair reason to hate him (stupid, but fair) and returns to the questioning him about the insult to Thilisa. Viktam tells him that Jadd, a friend of Glokas, told him that. He admits that he really didn’t think it through; he just wanted to make a name for himself. When asked where Jadd is, Viktam replied that he saw him in Osel house about a week ago. He met him in a hall that was darkened. The only light came from a small fire and it didn’t appear that anyone was living there. When he asked Jadd why he was staying on Osel house, he replied ‘why rent a room when one is just sitting here?’ Ewen asks Viktam where he first met Jadd. He says he first met him in Olokand. He was a friend of Glokas’s. He actually had just recruited Glokas and Dello to help him plan Ewen’s demise. Glokas, he thinks, knew Jadd for a long time.

Rahel now helps Ewen recover memories of Viktam’s from earlier this evening. Ewen feels the mental ‘oh crap’ that Viktam felt upon recognizing Thilisa and the Earl of Balim and knows that is the reason that Viktam asked for his forgiveness.

Ewen breaks the link as both he and Rahel are fatigued. Rahel gestures to Harth to take care of Viktam, and Harth neatly slits Viktam’s throat. Rahel haughtily mutters ‘banished’ as she leaves the room. Ewen and the rest of the group (who arrived during the beginning of the interrogation) follow her out and up the stairs.

Upstairs, Sir Harth offers the hospitality of the house to the members of the party. Cekiya accepts, as she knows her charge is staying over. Kaelyn and Imarë decline and Sir Harth assigns a man-at-arms to accompany them back.

At breakfast, only Imarë and Kaelyn are present as Sir Baris takes his breakfast in bed, the foot being too painful to walk on. After a quick breakfast, Kaelyn returns to her studies and Imarë goes to the kitchen to feed her urchins. Imarë asks them about their day and if they have seen or heard anything new. A couple of them mention that two of the really rich people came into town. One came yesterday and the other came the day before that. When Imarë questions them about what these really rich people looked like she is told that the one that came first had lots of dogs with him and he was fat. The other was an old lady. Imarë asks where the rich people are staying and is told that they aren’t that far away, and they are in two different houses. Imarë, trying to get all the information she can, asks if the urchins know who these people are. The urchins look at each other and look a little dejected and reply no, but one cheerfully exclaims that he can make something up if she wants. Imarë tells the little boy no, she would rather have the truth and if they don’t know it’s ok to say that they don’t know. The urchins look down and shuffle their feet and say ‘ok.’ Imarë asks if they can show her where these rich people live. The urchins are now excited and cheerfully show her the way to Lady Cheselyne’s house and the Earl of Neph’s house.

While Imarë is out of the house, Ewen and Cekiya return. One of the servants greets Sir Ewen at the door and tells him that everything is normal around Gray House, meaning Sir Baris is taking meals in his room, Kaelyn is studying in hers, and Imarë is playing with the urchins.

At lunch Imarë informs the party that Lady C is back in town and the Earl of Neph has arrived. During lunch Ewen asks the party their thoughts on what he should tell Thilisa about his parentage. This confuses the party as they thought they had a good story covered. Ewen explains that, while the story is a good lie, it might be difficult to explain why he was knighted. The best explanation would be that Ewen was knighted for his efforts in Selvos with the Larani church, but the time difference is too great to make it plausible. So, the truth would be better. The party argues this point for a while and finally all agree that perhaps the truth would be the best course of action.

After lunch Ewen returns to Hag Hall to inform Rahel of the change in plans and to ask if she wouldn’t mind taking a trip to Coranan to tell Lord Graver. Rahel is skeptical to say the least.

“I will trust you know what you are doing and will do as you ask,” she says as she walks further into the room, “I need to stop off at …”

“The benefits for telling the abridged truth to Thilisa and her father outweigh the other story.”

“Yes, I am sure they do. So tell me, what are you going to tell Thilisa.”

“That I met Arren I in Coranan in Savor of 725. That I was told privately …”

“Indeed you were.”

“… that I was his son, and that this explained my squiring. Also, I believe that our father’s birthday is in Savor.”

“The benefits of being born in or around that time are well known,” say Rahel, looking a little more convinced of the brilliance of the plan. She continues, “Yes, his birthday is the second, Arren II is Savor the first, and I, myself, was born Savor the third.”

“Out of curiosity, is the rumor about Sir Aren Lydel being Arren I’s son true?”

“Indeed. He might even be the first. His mother was a servant and he would have been born when daddy was about 16. Uncle Darebor thought it was a tremendous joke to send him as an ambassador to Arren II’s court. However he did not see it that way and refused him, not so much of out disregard for his blanket position but for the fact that sending him was an insult.”

“Brother was right.”

“Quite. I never did meet him, but I heard he was a crashing bore.”

“My dear lady, what is your opinion on telling the truth of my parentage.”

“I think that it will the best way to ingratiate yourself with Thilisa and her father. On the other hand Haldan isn’t going to like it one bit … if Vemion even explains his reasoning to him that is. Of course they are going to ask for proof.”

“I have thought of that. I will think of something tangible to do when the time comes, and of course there is my paternity registered or lack of registration at the College of Heralds.”

“That might do it. Well, enough talk. Do you plan to stay a bit longer or would you rather I was on my way?”

Later that night, Kaelyn attempts her spell and fails again. Fatigued, she goes to bed and misses dinner.

Agrazhar 17, 731

At the breakfast meeting, sans Sir Baris once again, Imarë is asked how her urchins are doing. She replies that they are fine and she thinks that perhaps today might be a good day to look into the various rumors they had heard. She is also going to send an urchin to Arnys for his use, just in case he needs one. Cekiya mentions that she wants to break in Osel house. Oddly enough, no one disagrees with her, but Imarë and Ewen say they are going with her to keep watch on the street. Cekiya looks a little irked at the suggestion, but says nothing at the moment. Ewen mentions that he is going to send his card to Thilisa this morning asking when he may call upon her, and that he is going to need a gift. He asks the ladies if they have any suggestions. Cekiya suggests daggers, Kaelyn mentions books, and Imarë says jewelry. Ewen looks that the trio, shakes his head, and asks if Imarë would come jewelry shopping with him after breakfast. Cekiya and Kaelyn look at each other and shrug.

After breakfast, Kaelyn returns to her room for further research and Imarë and Ewen go out to the marketplace with Cekiya following discreetly behind them. The first stop is to go see Pesera about Varayne investments and perhaps a recommendation for a good jeweler.

At Pesera’s they are greeted by a journeyman and are informed that Pesera is not in as he is at meeting of the mangai concerning his duties as an alderman. Sir Ewen remarks that he is a busy man. The journeyman replies that he wears his duties lightly. He asks if he might be able to help them. Ewen tells the man that his business if for Pesera’s hearing only. Imarë, not so difficult to please, asks the journeyman if he can recommend a good jeweler. She is told that the best jeweler is Herva of Veriel on Messabain Way. It’s a four story sturdy stone building near the castle, they can’t miss it. They thank the journeyman for his time and set off for Myselbane Way.

In front of the building Imarë and Ewen identify as Herva’s there is a set of stairs leading to a set of heavy iron double doors with the jeweler’s guild sign and an armed guard standing in front of the doors. On the side on the street level there is a set of doors that are iron banded but has no sign. Ewen and Imarë walk up the steps to the guard and Ewen gives his name and tells the guard he wishes to purchase some items from Herva. The guard looks at Ewen and rings the bell pull. A slot in the door opens, “What?!”

“Sir Ewen of, um,” the guard looks to Ewen, evidently forgetting his name already.

“Ravinargh,” Ewen supplies.

“You heard it, he wants to come in.”

“All right,” the slot closes but not before they hear a whiny little voice go “we’ve got new customers!”

The door opens and Ewen and Imarë enter the antechamber. They see a barred window on the far wall with journeymen working on the other side. There is a table and chairs in front of the window. A door to the right appears to lead into the chamber with the journeymen.

The journeyman who opened the door sits down at the table that is covered with a green cloth and asks in a whiny voice “what’s your pleasure?”

Imarë tells him that they are looking for a brooch, a sapphire, or semi-precious, and before she can explain further the journeyman interrupts her exclaiming that a sapphire is not semi-precious stone and that sets off an argument between Imarë and the journeymen on what exactly Imarë is looking for. Before the argument can come to blows or the journeyman’s voice gives Ewen a headache, Ewen tells the man that he would like to see his mistress. As the journeyman prepares himself for an argument of why they cannot, a woman comes over to the window and taps on the glass. When the journeyman looks at her, she gives him a look and motions to the door. The woman opens the door and comes out and the journeyman goes inside the room with the other journeymen at work.

“My apologies, Dingase is an excellent jeweler but lacks tact.” They hear a ‘harrumph’ from behind the door.

“Sapphire I think you said, is that correct? For a member of peerage? If I may ask, who?”

“If I can trust you to be discreet?”

“Oh course, I am always discreet, and if I know who I can point you to the proper pieces.”

Ewen tells her that he would like something for the Dowager Countess Thilisa. Herva nods and tells Ewen that there is a very long list of pieces she does not like and sapphires are on it. She goes on to tell Ewen that depending on his purse perhaps she could find him a nice garnet or two in the correct colors. She also mentions that new pieces arejust in from Azadmere. Ewen expresses interest in those. Herva calls for Dingase and he comes out.

“Bring out that tray in from the Silver Way with the brooches on it.” Herva tells him. He looks like he is going to protest, so she continues, “Don’t argue, and don’t make me tell you again.” He moves off into the other room and is back shortly. Herva takes the tray from him and begins to fuss over the pieces. She finally selects a brooch that has gold filigree on platinum and in the center there is a large yellow stone. Imarë looks at the stone but can’t quite place it. Ewen examines it and asks what the stone is. Herva replies that it is Topaz. The Khuzan don’t use the lesser stones except as accessories. Ewen hands the piece back to Herva and says it is very nice, but he doesn’t want to overstep his boundaries and that he would trust her judgment. Herva replies that it would be a very nice piece for the purpose, and that she can assure of that Sir Ewen based on her experience with the Lady’s other suitors. Ewen merely smiles and tells Herva, “Then I am content.”

Herva pauses and asks Ewen if he is the same Sir Ewen that won the tournament on Olokand.

Ewen says that it is his good fortune to be so. Herva continues saying that normally she would ask for 6600d for this piece but in Ewen’s case, since he’s a gallant, brave, blah, blah, blah knight she will ask only 6000d with the only condition that he tell the Lady where it came from. Imarë leans over to Ewen and whispers that he is getting a deal. Herva continues that she does not expect that Ewen has the money on him and since he is a new customer she explains that she deals with various factors in the city and is able to go to a mercantyler for payment. As Ewen tells her that Pesera is his man of business, they hear another harrumph and a snicker behind the window that is quickly muffled. Ewen continues, ignoring the snickering, that he is quite pleased with the piece. Herva asks if she should have it delivered to Ewen or to the Countess. Ewen decides that having it delivered to Thilisa would be a better option and tells Herva to deliver it to the Dowager Countess. Herva then asks if Ewen would like to send a note with it. Ewen says to have the note say that he is looking forward to seeing her in the next day or so. Herva nods and says she will take care of it and then asks where Ewen is currently staying. Ewen replies that he is currently in possession of Gray House. Herva mentions that she knows the house and that it is a very nice establishment. After a few moments more of small talk Ewen and Imarë thank Herva for her assistance and depart. Ewen heads home to Gray House, while Imarë takes a quick detour to the Spurs.

As Imarë enters the Spurs she notices the same serving wench working that had been here on all her previous visits. When Imarë takes her seat the wench asks “Where’s the big guy?” Imarë tells her that he is having trouble with his feet. The wench looks a little disappointed. “That’s too bad. How’s the rest of him?” The wench slings an ale across the table to Imarë when she says that he is fine. Before the girl can move away, Imarë asks her where Halime is. The girl indicates the door leading to the kitchen with a nod, saying he’s here. Imarë, not trusting the girl to think on her own, tells her to go get him.

As Imarë waits for Halime to show, she glances around the room. It is the usual mid-day crowd. She sees Drakal over in one corner and he winks at her, but doesn’t come over. By the time Imarë finishes her inspection of the room, Halime has joined her. He snaps his fingers and the wench immediately brings him an ale.
“So? Where’s the big guy?” Halime asks after he has taken a drink.

“He’s currently indisposed. He was making too much merry.” Imarë replies with a laugh.

Halime laughs with her and adds, “Between you and me, he’s a lightweight. I heard he lost out to a stonecutter.”

“I don’t think he was actually vying for the lady.” Imarë replies trying, not to protect Baris’ reputation, but to make sure that the facts were heard.

“Doesn’t much matter; when a guy is looking to put a notch on his belt he should take steps to make sure it stays there.” He pauses. “How’s he doing with the rat business?” he asks looking out of the corner of his eye at Imarë. “Tell him word got back here about a ratcatcher and I put two and two together and if I can so can others.”

Imarë indicates that she will tell Baris and will keep that under advisement. Tired of talking about Baris she switches subjects. “I heard that someone in the Exchequer is in a little over his head in debts.”

“Not surprised. If the King found out he’d be losing his head,” Halime laughs at his own cleverness.

“Do you know anything about the notes?”

“Notes? Why would I know?” Halime begins to look a little uncomfortable at Imarë’s direct questioning. “Maybe I do and maybe I don’t.”

Imarë, affecting to be oblivious to the subtle body language, continues on the same line. “I’m sure you could find out about it.”

“Pretty sure I’m clueless,” Halime stands up, “I’ve got a business to run. You’ll excuse me.” Imarë nods and Halime walks off.

A few moments later the serving wench comes over and tells Imarë that the drinks are on the house, but she still wants a tip. Imarë seeing nothing wrong with this logic, gives her a tip. As the wench leans over to pick it up, she knocks over the tankard Halime was using. As she makes a show of cleaning it up with her dirty dishrag, she whispers to Imarë “go out back and go in the door in the alley.”

Imarë nods, finishes her ale and then follows the wench’s directions. In the alley there is a door slightly ajar. Imarë peers in. She sees a couple of rough looking guys sitting at one table, but they pay no attention to her. Halime is standing in the room and he motions her in. The moment Imarë enters and closes the door behind her, Halime starts to yell.

“Gods!! You people have absolutely no sense! I don’t control everything that goes on in the city! Don’t you realize that other people have ears! You don’t just walk in to a very public place and expect to get a response. This is not what I signed on for. First you send that little … that little Cekiya and now you come waltzing in asking for information in broad daylight without even the courtesy of trying to be circumspect. Don’t you think people take notice and know who you associate with?!” Halime rants for a few moments more before he finally gains his composure.

Imarë takes this moment to ask if sending an urchin with a message to Halime would be acceptable in the future. Halime says, “Fine, those things are everywhere. Go ahead and send it.”

“Now, the fact that you mentioned notes, tells me you know nothing of how things work here. It’s not notes, this guy’s in debt … to me.”

“Ewen wants to buy out this guy’s debt.”

“Why would … never mind, forget I asked, I don’t want to know why Sir Ewen wants anything.” He looks at Imarë. “I own this guy’s debts and he’s too worried about me to not pay.”

“Why would he be worried about you?” Imarë sallies.

The rest of the back room laughs. Halime glares at the rough looking thugs and they settle down, “The fact is he is worried about what I would do to him if he doesn’t pay, and I doubt that he would be worried about what such a knight as Sir Ewen would do.”

“I don’t think we would necessarily have to tell this guy that things have changed.”

“So, Sir Ewen wants to cover my risks? NOT in the contract, lady. I am not a small time leg-breaker who does this for kicks. I need something for something.”

“Well, what do you have in mind?”

“Money talks. I am not such a sentimental guy, that if someone doesn’t pay I won’t break his legs out of my own account. This guy we’re talking about works in the Exchequer, but he’s too honest to embezzle from the King. He’ll borrow money from me, and frankly I let’m on the assumption that eventually he’d have to embezzle, and trust me embezzlement is a time honored tradition around here.”

“His debts to me are extensive. He currently owes £6, which isn’t much, but that’s just the principal. It’s the interest rate that is killing him. The interest is 50% of the principal. So, it’s £6 for this year, and with the interest makes it £12-12 ½.” Halime takes a moment to refill his tankard and looks at Imarë frankly.

“Here’s the deal. I’ll sell the debt to Sir Ewen for £12 up front and will be a leg-breaker for £1 a month. If he doesn’t want a leg-breaker, it’ll be £15 for the debt.”

Imarë takes a moment to consider the deal, and replies, “I’ll advise Sir Ewen of your offer.” She leaves the same way she came in and heads for home to brief the rest of the party.

After Imarë briefs Ewen and Cekiya, a discussion follows if this is really a good investment of the money. After all, Ewen argues, they don’t even know the guy’s name. Would this really be a good idea to try to influence the Exchequer, who just happens to be run by the Earl of Balim? The trio agrees that until they find out a little more information, it would be better to leave the situation as it is.

Ewen decides that perhaps now is the time to question the servants living in Gray House. He believes that he will start with their trustworthiness and then perhaps, if they are trustworthy ask them questions regarding the current gossip.

Ewen decides he might as well start with the cook, Turac, as he is married to the maid and most of the gossip will come through him. As Ewen enters the kitchen, he startles the cook a little with his appearance.

“Can I get anything for you Sir Ewen?”

“No, I just wanted to come in and check that everything is fine with you.”

“Is there something wrong?” Turac worriedly looks about the kitchen as if he is trying to find some offending portion of food or pot that is out of place.

Ewen claps the man on the shoulder and attempts to rapport with him. “No, no, everything is exemplary. I am a bit worried about Sir Baris, though.”

“Yes, I understand. He sometimes sends his tray back with bits of broken crockery.” All the while Ewen has established a rapport with the cook, the cook is unaware of this bit of Deryni magic and Ewen finds no falsehood in his words or thoughts.

“Ah, I hope that the budget is enough to cover the expense of the surly knight.”

“Oh, yes. I have no complaints about the budget that covers the replacements.”

“I wonder … who takes the trays up to Sir Baris?”

“Holli does that. He’s that boy over there,” the cook indicates a young adolescent near the table peeling apples. “Holli, tell the Master here how you try.”

Ewen looks over at the boy, who in a squeaky voice says, “He hits me sometimes. He really doesn’t like it when I bring him roast that has been over-cooked.” He pauses and looks at Ewen with big, pleading eyes, “I don’t want to get him in trouble. He’s a fine, fine master. Please don’t tell him I said that.”

Ewen assures the boy that anything he says won’t get back to Baris and changing his line of questioning asks the boy who changes the bed linens in Baris’ room.

“Oh, that’s Denaba. She’s upstairs now,” Holli replies, relieved that Ewen won’t tell on him.

“He doesn’t misuse her, does he?”

Holli chuckles, and says, “Oh no! I hear that he has women all over the town for that.”

Since Ewen is halfway across the room from the boy, he was truth reading the boy instead of using rapport, and finds that the boy believes every single word he says. Ewen thanks the cook and the scullery boy/assistant cook and goes upstairs to the second floor to find Denaba.

Ewen finds Denaba airing out Imarë’s room. When Ewen greets her, she drops into a very nervous curtsy.

“I just have a quick question for you. Sir Baris, as you are aware has been ill; I am wondering if you are able to attend to his bed linens on a regular basis?”

Denaba’s eyes go wide as she stammers out a yes.

“Is he difficult to work for?”

“N…N…No, Sir”

“Calm yourself. You are not in any trouble. I just want to make sure he is not making your job difficult.” Denaba is terrified and doesn’t try to verbally respond but merely shakes her head no.

“What about Kaelyn? Is she ok?”

“No, Yes, No sir, Yes sir.”

Ewen, realizing that this is not going well, thanks her and tells her to carry on and gives her a wink as he walks out the door.

About the time Ewen is terrifying the maid, the urchin that Imarë sent to visit Arnys has returned. Imarë offers the child some marzipan as she listens to him chatter.

“I found the man with the eight fingers. I asked him why he had only eight fingers, but he told me not to ask questions I don’t want to know the answers to. But I really do want to know why he has only eight fingers.”

Imarë, developing a headache from the child’s prattle, told him bluntly that someone cut them off. At this news the child promptly burst into tears. It takes several minutes and a couple offers of more marzipan to calm the kid down. Once he is able to speak coherently again, Imarë asks him if Arnys had sent any messages.

“Yes, he’s…cut them off…he’s carrying out his mission. He’s been playing chess, playing lots of chess with an oooold man. I saw him, the old man, he wins a lot. I watched,” the urchin replies, brightening up at memory of being allowed to watch.

“Does this old man have a name?”

“I dunno, I can ask.”

“No, that’s ok.”

“The old man lives in the building across from the brown people, the craven ones…what’s craven mean? The old man and the man with eight fingers say I can come by anytime to watch them play chess and maybe they would teach me. When I am older I am going to be a thief. Why should I learn how to play chess?” The urchin stops talking and looks earnestly at Imarë. She smiles wanly down at him and says it helps keep your mind sharp, so you learn to notice everything. The boy thinks about this as he leaves with sticky hands.

Later that evening, after dinner, Cekiya prepares to break into Osel House. Her plan is that if she comes across Jadd, she is to take him (alive, mostly) to either Rahel’s or Dikon House way of the tunnels. Before she sets off Ewen announces that he and Imarë are going to follow behind her and promenade around the corner of Chedana and Meridais to keep watch for the Watch and to be there if she needs help. Cekiya is not happy with the idea of her needing help, but as it is Ewen who makes the suggestion, she does not argue, much. On the way to Osel House she notices that there is the faintest glow coming out of a window at the deceased house of Astarock. Cekiya notes it and continues on.

The gate is closed at Osel House. After checking for signs of the Watch and finding none, Cekiya goes up and over the fence and lands in the yard in a half-crouch prepared to run if anyone notices her. There is no sign of anyone around. The house is quiet and dark. Cekiya, being a small, dark figure in the night, shifts over to the trees to gain a better vantage point. She sees nothing in the light of the nearly full moon. She runs silently to the barn to check for animals and perhaps an entrance into the house. There is neither an entrance to house nor an animal in the barn. Back outside, she climbs the stone staircase that leads the front door. The door is a heavy oak door with iron bands. She sees no sign of tampering and notices that the lock is very complex and would take quite awhile to pick. She checks the shutters on either side of the door and down on the first floor and finds them all barred and shuttered. Cekiya thinks to herself that this Jadd guy must have got in with a key.

Undeterred about finding and easy entrance, she climbs up to second floor to attempt to gain entry from the window up there. The windows are not directly in reach as she reaches the second story and she must carefully climb upon the ledge to reach them. As she is inching along to the right she misses her footing on the ledge. She slips about five feet down before managing to grab a hand-hold preventing her plummet to the ground below. Cekiya, realizing that her current handhold is not good enough for her to pull herself back up, continues to dangle while moving to the right until she reaches her original goal of the windowsill. Once she reaches the windowsill, she manages to pull herself back up. One of the shutters looks to be loose or misaligned and she can see the bar that is holding it shut. Cekiya pulls out one of her knives and slips the knife through the crack and flips the bar up and off. She opens the shutters and pauses, listening for any indication that she was heard and for noises that she is not the only one in the house.

Down the street Imarë and Ewen on their walk hear a clatter. Ewen mentions to Imarë that he thinks that their little adder is busy.

After a few moments of not hearing noises from the house, Cekiya slips inside into what appears to be a gallery that stretches the length of the house. The gallery has a balcony that covers its entire length that overlooks the hall on the main floor. To the left of Cekiya’s position there a few chairs but nothing else. In the far corner to the right of Cekiya there is a staircase that leads into rooms below. Cekiya heads down the stairs into a chamber with no window and a fireplace. The fireplace has ashes in it as if it had been used after the house was closed up for the season, but nothing else.

The hall that Cekiya saw from the gallery on the second floor is now to her right. Upon entering the hall she notices that most of the furniture is in place but not covered as one might expect. There are no items of everyday use in evidence. Cekiya sees the large oak door in the middle of the wall to the left of her and doors that lead off to the right. Assuming the large oak door is the door to the outside that she saw earlier, she heads to the right side of the hall. The doors lead to the kitchen and nothing appears to be out of place. There is a staircase at the end of the kitchen. Cekiya takes the stairs back up to the second floor. She finds herself in a small sitting room with a table and three chairs. There are also two doors; one to the left and one to the right. Going through the door on the left she finds a well appointed bedchamber with a private room around the corner. Going back into the sitting room and through the door on the right she finds another bedchamber, this one not so appointed. Going back to the sitting room, and up the stairs further leads Cekiya to an attic. In the attic there is row upon row of pallets. All seems as it should be with the house being closed up. Cekiya heads back down the stairs and continues down until she reaches the cellar. It is empty. Going back up to the hall, Cekiya now approaches the large oak door, thinking that perhaps she could unlock it from the inside and leave in a safer manner in which she entered. Next to the oak door is a key hanging from a nail. She tries the key in the door and it works. Cekiya goes out the front door, locks it behind her and pockets the key, as one might never know when it will come in handy again.

In the yard she slips across the moonlight yard to the wall. The wall is a little higher than she expects and she doesn’t quite make it over. She tries again 15 feet down the way. On the other side she spots Imarë and Ewen and heads over to report.

Agrazhar 18, 731

After the morning breakfast meeting, in which Kaelyn is filled in on last night’s activities, Baris still being in bed with a sore foot, a servant arrives with a message from the Lady Thilisa. The message reads that Thilisa would be delighted to receive Sir Ewen this evening.

The urchin that Imarë sent to Arnys arrives with a message from him.

“Eight fingers sent a message. He says there is a man at the Red Fox who is looking for some papers. Can I have a poached egg? They say I am a natural at chess. I beat the old man. He says his name is Daily. Eight fingers plays chess everyday with him. I think that eight fingers lets him win.” As the urchin pauses to take a breath, Imarë asks him what they talk about.

The urchin shrugs, “Grown-up stuff. I think the old man might be 300. His hair is really white. Is that egg for me?” Imarë leaves the urchin happily devouring his poached egg to go find Ewen to tell him the news and ask what exactly the Red Fox is like.

Ewen informs Imarë that it is right near the castle so it’s not a dive. The Fox is where he occasionally met with Rhonna in his nighttime wanderings, and that the place is owned by one Melin of Sonal. Imarë decides that she will visit the Red Fox in the afternoon, as she is the only one currently available to go there and nose around a bit.

Cekiya, meanwhile, had learned of Ewen’s wish to question the servants for gossip. She decides that she will help her lord by questioning one of them for him. She finds one of the maids, Mara, straitening up in Ewen’s sitting room.

“Mara, come here please.”

When Mara sees who is talking to her she almost hyperventilates, “Y-y-y-yes, w-w-was there some-something…”

“If you don’t calm down you might get slapped,” threatens Cekiya annoyed at the weakness of the maid.

“Ok. Ok. Ok. Ok.”

“Why are you shivering? Are you upset?”

“No, I’m not upset.”

“I’m relieved to know that this is normal.”

“W-when, what, who?” Mara says cringing away from Cekiya.

“All I what to know is little bit of gossip.”

“I’ve know nothing, I’ve seen nothing, I swear!”

“What about when you go get water from the well?”

“Yes, the well. I get clean, pure water from the well.”

Cekiya narrows her eyes at the maid. “What have you heard about me?”

“Nothing!”

“No lying. I don’t like lies.”

“They say…they say that,” Mara’s voice drops to a whisper, “they say that you can kill with a look.”

“Oh that is just silly,” Cekiya denies, thinking of the possibilities of such a skill.

“They say that you killed three men with a look.”

“Did you hear this from the well?”

“No, I hear no gossip from the well.” Mara looks around for anyone and cringes even more away from Cekiya. “Don’t hurt me.”

“There’s something being said about someone on Medrik Way.”

“Oh him, that’s Dramin,” Mara replies, relieved to be appeasing this sinister looking person in front of her.

“Does this Dramin work for the Exchequer?”

“No, he just fetches and carries.” The fact that she just had to tell Cekiya ‘no’, dawns on the maid and she cries, “Please don’t kill me!”

“I won’t…But I might hurt you if you repeat this.”

“Oh no, it’s true!” Mara backs up until she is in a corner and can go no farther.

“Stop being silly. Have you seen me hurt anyone?”

“They say the dead cart is filled with your work.”

“Look, Sir Baris is a bit of a bear and I don’t really like him and he’s still alive.”

“No, but he’s ill,” Mara points out.

“But if the gossip was true, he’d be dead.”

“But…but Sir Ewen told...,” Mara stops talking, hands flying up to her face as a look of horror dawns. “Oh, I said it, please don’t hurt me!”

Cekiya takes a deep breath and very calmly says, “I have no wish to hurt any one in the house.”

“I am just trying to make an honest living!” protests Mara, not really having heard.

Cekiya tries to switch back to the gossip at the well. “Tell me about Dramin. Who does he work for?”

“Andel Gebar! There that’s his name, please don’t hurt me.”

“How long has he worked there?”

“I don’t know! Don’t hurt me!”

“That’s ok. Do you know where he lives?”

“No, Oh gods! Your going to kill me!”

“No, in fact if you stick around you could get a raise.” Cekiya promises. This unfortunately does not calm the maid down. Mara crumples to the ground and huddles in the corner in a fit of pure terror. Cekiya shakes her head and walks out of the room, intent on finding Ewen to report what she just found out.

Imarë meanwhile has stepped out to the Red Fox. As she passes through Mangai Square she wonders to herself how humans can live in such squalor. She also notes that there is a malefactor in the stocks. She finally reaches her destination. The Red Fox is a two story building with its entrance on the southern wall. When Imarë enters she sees a large common room with four or five tables with some of them already occupied. As it is a rather sedate place, some of the patrons are actually conducing business at their tables. Imarë sits down at an empty table that was to her right. Before long a serving girl comes over and asks the elf “what’s your pleasure?” Imarë replies that she would like a noontime meal

“We have a pig snout stew. It’s a delicacy as it’s the tenderest part of the pig.”

“Just bring me something good.”

The serving girl disappears into the kitchen and appears a few minutes later with a bowl. As she places it in front of Imarë, Imarë can see one nostril peaking out of the bowl at her.

“Did you bring your own knife?” The serving girl asks, but before Imarë can answer the girl pulls one out and wipes it on her apron before handing it to Imarë.

“If you need anything just holler,” the girl says as she walks away, “We don’t get a lot of women in here.”

After Imarë spends a few moments poking at the snout in her stew a middle aged man with an apron comes over and introduces himself as Melin of Soral.

“How do you like your lunch?”

“Early and often,” is Imarë’s quick reply.

Melin laughs, “Oh honey, you could stand to eat it earlier and more often. You need to get some meat on those bones.”

“I do prefer meatier foods.”

“Then you don’t need this,” Melin says yanking the stew away, “I’ve got a roast haunch of mutton that would serve better.” He turns to another server whom he calls Melvin and asks him to bring out the mutton. While he is gone Melin babbles on about how close sounding their names are and how it sometimes creates confusion, especially during the busy times of the day.

“Is this more to your liking?” Melin asks as Melvin puts the new meal before Imarë.

“Much better, thank you.”

“Are you new in Tashal?”

“I’ve been around I just haven’t been able to come in here before. The man I work for has been here and suggested it to me.”

“Who do you work for?”

“Ewen of Ravinargh.”

“The proprietor of the Seven Stars?”

“No, Sir Ewen. The new First Knight of Kaldor.”

“Oh.” Melin is now at a loss of what to say. He mumbles something about being needed in the kitchen and hurries away.

As Imarë prepares to enjoy this new, meatier meal in peace a man from one of the nearby tables disengages himself from his associates and comes over to Imarë asking if he might join her.

“Feel free,” Imarë replies motioning to the seat across from her.

He motions to the serving girl.

“Yea, what?” The girl asks, not impressed with this man as she was with Imarë.

“Better manners to start with and when that arrives something…worthy of the company,” he says smiling at Imarë. The girl rolls her eyes but comes back a few moments later with something worthier.

“I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but did I hear you correctly, that you know the First Knight of Kaldor?”

“I am in his household, yes.”

The man’s smile grows broader and he introduces himself as Kyle Maldune. He is a middle aged man in fairly good shape with a hilt at his belt that looks like a dagger.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Imarë replies introducing herself.

“I have heard so many things about your employer.”

“He’s an associate, not an employer.”

“Associate, then. They say he makes things happen.”

“Things do happen around him.”

“I would be most interested in meeting with your associated. I think he could help me. I have this as a gesture of good faith,” he pulls out a bag that chinks as he places it on the table. “Consider this an advance.”

“I would be happy to tell Ewen that you would like to speak with him, in any event, this,” Imarë gestures at the bag, “isn’t necessary.”

Kyle pushes the bag closer, “Then consider it a thank you for the privilege of speaking with him.”

Imarë, still not taking it, asks, “When?”

“Tonight, here.”

“I am afraid that Sir Ewen is otherwise engaged tonight.”

“Very well, in the morning then. I look forward to speaking with Sir Ewen.”

Imarë agrees and pockets the pouch. Kyle bids her farewell, and Imarë is left alone.

Back at Gray House, Kaelyn once again attempts and fails to master the spell she created. Drained and just a little frustrated, she retires immediately to bed.

As the appointed hour nears, Ewen departs for Caldeth House, with Cekiya following a discreet distance away. At Caldeth House, he is greeted by Sir Rollard at the door.

“Your little gift ahrived earliuh,” a trace of bitterness creeps into Sir Rollard’s voice as he shows Ewen into the hall, “The man with monah always wins out now doesn’t he? You will forgive me Suh Ewen, I will tell the Lady Thilisa you have ahrived. Puhaps you would wait heah in the antechamber?”

After a few minutes of Sir Ewen cooling his heels in the antechamber, Thilisa comes in, alone, wearing the brooch Ewen sent.

“Why Ewen, how nice to see you. A small supper has been prepared. Would you care to join me?

“Of course, My Lady. I trust you are well.”

Thilisa leads Ewen into the hall to one of the side tables, versus the great table at the end of the hall. She takes her seat and motions for Ewen to do the same. Servants come out and place the meal in front of them and then depart

“May I serve you?” Thilisa asks. Ewen nods, not trusting his voice, and Thilisa begins to plate the meal for them. She touches the brooch, again.

“Now who told you that Topaz was my favorite gem? I need to know so that I may punish that person.”

“Would it suffice to say that the brooch spoke to me of your beauty when I first saw it?”

“Oh, Oh, Oh, how stupid do you think I am, Ewen?” Thilisa replies, slightly peeved. “I noticed it came from Herva, my favorite jeweler. Indeed it is a piece from Azadmere – lovely. You have done well, but don’t overstate the matter.” She pauses. “I enjoyed our evening at Gallopea’s Feast. I didn’t think I would.”

“It was not too tedious I presume.”

“After that Viktam Arwat person recanted his slander against me, I found the evening quite enjoyable. Do you know if he has left the kingdom yet?”

“I can assure My Lady that he will never trouble you again; he is gone.”

“I hope to never lay eyes on that man again.”

“You have my word upon it.”

“Good, now on to new business. Have you heard that the Earl of Neph has lately come to town?”

“I have heard some talk on that matter.”

“He has the most exquisite rose bushes.”

“Does he?” replies Ewen, wondering where this conversion will lead.

“Yes, they say that the roses of Gardiren are the finest in all of Kaldor. I don’t know if that’s true, but I am curious if his roses in Tashal rival those in Gardiren.”

“Sounds like something that Your Ladyship would have to ascertain for herself indeed.”
“How well you know me. I would love to see one of Neph’s roses up close.”

“I hope I would have the honor of being that person of satisfying that curiosity.”

“Now would you.” Her hand goes again to the brooch and she strokes it.

“Have you seen the roses of Gardiren My Lady?”

“No, not in person. The Earl of Neph is noted for his love of flowers… among other things.”

“He is a man of broad tastes.”

“He is a man of insatiable tastes. I understand that his lady wife – I have never met her you know – disapproves of him, being the pious Laranian, Pieonian or something. She feels that there is nothing more appropriate than an ascetic court.”

“I have head it said that those with different interests make the most interesting couples.”

“They fight like cats and dogs. Poor Neph” She touches the brooch again, “Surely Sir Ewen if you were to wed you would be the most solicitous of spouses. Ever interested in what pleased your spouse, never one interested in imposing your will. I am sure that is so.”

“Such is the picture of domesticity that often comes to my mind. Is that not the proper role of a chivalrous husband as well as knight?”

“I have always thought so. Unfortunately my late husband, the former Earl of Osel, took it to extremes. He felt compelled to go chasing all over creation for some man he thought had killed another man. Too much focus on man if you ask me.” Coyly she asks, “You, Sir Ewen, are not so focused on man are you?”

“I confess a weakness for the fairer sex.”

“Ah, that is a weakness, but a forgivable weakness. That brings us to one of our last topics of conversation.”

“Yes, My Lady”

“Call me Thilisa.”

“Yes, Thilisa, I believe that I owe you an explanation.”

“Yes, yes you do.” She sits back in her chair, which brings to Ewen’s notice that the chairs from the great table have been brought down to the side table where they are sitting. As Ewen pauses, composing himself for the explanation, Thilisa pours herself a goblet of wine and then pours one for Ewen.

“I must begin by telling you that the College of Heralds was in no way remiss in their duties regarding my ancestry.”

“My father does not share that opinion.”

“I must absolve them of this forgivable lack of competence.” Ewen pauses and glances about the hall, “I trust Thilisa, we are alone and cannot be overheard.”

“There is no one else in the hall.”

“Then I will speak plainly. I have known since 725 that in fact my father is Arren Carrollton Dakarion Parkhurst.

Before Ewen can continue, he notices that the color has drained from Thilisa’s face.
“Arren…Parkhurst. Arren…Parkhurst. What are you telling me?”

“That I am his natural son.”

“Are you mad! What sort of claim is this! What must you be to claim that a man like that is your father!”

“I am explaining the fact that there is no genealogy for me on parchment.”

“You’re serious. You expect me to believe that that demon is your father. What was his name?”

“Arren Carrollton Dakarion Parkhurst.”

“Yes, those Melderyni and their multiple names. Yet, you’re serious. I suppose you have proof to this claim.”

“What proof would satisfy you my lady?”

“No proof would satisfy me. They say that the royal house of Melderyn are magical…wizards by birth.”

“That is the blood that runs in my veins.”

“Royal blood, you claim.”

“Yes, albeit the wrong side of the blanket.”

“Better royal blood on the wrong side of the blanket than the right side of the blanket with common blood, is that what you’re claiming?”

“You must understand that I have spoken to very few people of this.”

“I don’t doubt it. They’d think you mad as a march hare. Very well, prove it. Prove it in a charlatan, mountebank way. Unless you can do that there is nothing that can convince me. Show me.”

Ewen takes a deep breath and attempts to manifest an aura, but fails.

“Well, I’m waiting.”

Ewen decides that attempting rapport would be a better way to go. “May I have your hand my lady?”

Thilisa hesitates but offers her left hand to Ewen. Ewen takes the offered hand and as he penetrates her mind Thilisa immediately jerks back in her seat.

“What I have told you is true Thilisa,” Ewen says into her mind.

“But I hear you!”

“That’s right, and know this as well. You have my heart.”

“You are one of them. I’ve only heard of them. I’ve heard of them. You are a witch, a wizard from the wizard’s isle.”

“I have never been.”

Thilisa yanks her hand back, breaking the connection, before Ewen can finish the thought.

“A rose. Bring me a rose, Sir Ewen.”

“I shall do so, My Lady.”

Thilisa nods, “It is time you left.”

“I hope I’ve haven’t given you a fright, My Lady. I profoundly apologize if I have. It was never my intention.”

“I must think of this. You have my leave to go. Bring me a rose.”
Ewen rises and bows deeply to Thilisa.

As Ewen turns to walk himself out, Thilisa says, “Make sure it is a rose of Neph.”

Ewen turns back to her and tells her that he looks forward to seeing her again. Thilisa doesn’t respond.

When Ewen returns to Gray House he tells the rest of the party what transpired and is briefed by Imarë on her adventure at the Red Fox. The pouch that Kyle Maldune handed Imarë contains 240d. Ewen looks at the money disdainly and tells Imarë that he may give it back in morning. Imarë shrugs, and reports that the meeting should be ok, as it is in a public place. Ewen shakes his head, and replies that this man can not presume to buy him with a mere pound of silver.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle