Session Fifty-Five - March 2, 2008

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Fifty-Five - March 2, 2008

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:57 pm

Azura 8, 731

Sir Baris listened as the treasure list was read, desire and greed growing in his heart with each passing beat. The dwarf, Havard, caught his breath at the thought of so much wealth.

The island the party found itself on was called Ulmerien’s Tongue because of its shape and location at the mouth of the river. The party had landed in the only cove available, which was located on the southwest corner of the island. The Tongue was heavily forested with oak, but the party had discovered a clearing, with a hut. Inside the hut was the treasure list. Strangely, next to the hut was an oak tree standing alone. Even more strangely, hanging from one of the tree’s branches was a block and tackle.

The party walked over the tree to get a closer look. “What’s that doing there?” Baris wondered aloud, looking at the block and tackle. “There must have been something to lift up and down,” Imarë stated matter of factly. She looked up, seeing some leaves just starting to turn. Taking hold of some of the knots, the elf climbed up. She saw nothing new upon closer inspection of the block and tackle, and climbed back down. “Perhaps the pit was below here,” the dwarf mused, looking closely at the soil below the tree, which was a combination of hard clay, sand and rock. Very bad soil for agriculture. Ewen drew upon his innate abilities, searching for some hint of magic in the area, but was unable to detect anything. Kaelyn knocked on the tree, but it was solid.

Cekiya looked up at the tree, and saw a man leaning on a branch! He wasn’t there before! “What are you waiting for?” the man said and jumped down, pointing at the ground beneath the tree. “All the treasure is right here!” The man was vaguely solid, but the party could see through him, and he shimmered a bit.

“Watch out for about booby traps.” Imarë warned.

“Booby traps! I didn’t even create this! Booby traps. What trusting people!” Merren’s ghost said.

“Who was augur,” Ewen asked, referring to something written on the treasure list.

“I wouldn’t have any idea,” the ghost said. “I’m just hoping you would find the treasure! I buried it!”

“You were very clever,” Ewen complimented the ghost.

“Thank you.”

Quinn, meanwhile, backed away, a look of fear on his face. He had gotten used to strange happenings, but a ghost was a bit too much!

The dwarf offered the specter a drink. The ghost took the drink, drank it down, and the ale spilled onto the ground. Sad about the wasted ale, the dwarf turned to treasure and began digging, dreaming of all the treasure just a few feet below! Baris, a slightly mad gleam in his eyes at the thought of all treasure listed, took up a shovel and joined the dwarf. Below the surface, the soil became much looser, and was more sandy and loose. There was little clay or rocks. This ground had been dug before. Five hours of feverish digging passed, the ghost of Merren occasionally giving encouragement. By now, the pair had excavated a pit several feet deep and ten feet square.

Kaelyn tried to ask the ghost about his adventures, but he was not forthcoming. “You shouldn’t have killed old Watt!” The ghost pointed at Cekiya “She’s dangerous, that one!”

Trying to change the subject, Ewen the ghost what the varadel cloak was, again referring to something written on the treasure list.

Merren pointed to the elf. “She should know.”

“I know what it is!” Imarë said excitedly.

Ewen waited a moment. “Well?”

“It’s an elven cloak – makes one rather inconspicuous.”

“How big is the sapphire?” Kaelyn interrupted.

“You’re getting close to it!” the ghost yelled.

Meanwhile, Baris and the dwarf dug away. Mounds of dirt flew out of the ever growing hole. Kaelyn suggested the two take a rest and let others dig, but she was quickly rebuffed when the two diggers glared at her, treasure madness clearly visible in their eyes. Sir Baris had stripped down to his breeches, his heavily muscled body covered in sweat and grime. The dwarf, meanwhile, had stripped down to nothing. ‘Clothes just get in the way,’ he thought. One would think his copious beard would cover the appropriate parts, but unfortunately it was forked.

Darkness fell. “You might need some light!” the ghost said happily. Ewen drew upon his innate abilities, and a non-burning, heatless ball of flame appeared above the diggers, illuminating their work.

“That’s quite a trick!” the ghost said, looking down into the hole. “You’re getting pretty close!”

“Lots of people looking for this stuff, ‘eh?” Ewen commented.

The ghost smiled. “From time to time. Sometimes I talk to them, sometimes I don’t.”

“Some probably run screaming,” Kaelyn muttered.

“Yes. In fact, I recently led a group into a gargun lodge,” the ghost said. “They were eaten!” he said happily. “Quite amusing.”

“How long did it take you to dig this hole?” Cekiya asked the ghost.

“I didn’t dig it! Never said I did!”

Ewen looked in to check on the diggers progress. “Hey! Isn’t there different soil here?” he said, pointing to one of the walls.

The dwarf looked up from his digging. “Hm. You’re right.” It appeared that the original shaft was dug down into the hard clay and rocky soil, and filled with a different kind of soil, probably from near the water because it was very sandy.

“Did you fill this up?” Kaelyn asked the ghost.

“I never filled it! Never said I filled it!”

“Is this how it looked like before?” Kaelyn pressed.

“This is the first I’ve seen it! I’m all atwitter!” said Merren.

The dwarf wondered aloud if anyone had the ability to kill the ghost.

Around 10 o’clock, the diggers were down past the twenty foot mark.

“It’s a little further down, pretty sure! It’s a little hard to gauge the depth from underground!” To demonstrate, the ghost dove into the earth, and quickly came back up.

Baris gulped, but managed to keep hold of his sanity. Fortunately, Quinn did not see this display.

“Hey, big guy! You’re not digging fast enough!” the ghost said.

The dwarf kicked the knight in the shins. “Dig faster!”

“I’m digging, I’m digging!” Baris replied, and redoubled his efforts, sweating hard.

The dwarf and the knight continued digging. They were getting quite exhausted, but the thought of treasure gave them renewed strength, and they soldiered on.

An hour later, they were thirty feet down. They looked up, wondering how they were going to get out! Oh well, the treasure was down there! An hour later, they were down thirty three feet. The going was getting tougher, but the two continued digging, taking breaks while they waited for the dirt to be hauled up. An hour later, they were thirty six feet below the ground, but digging harder than ever! About an hour later, around the forty foot mark, the dwarf swung his pick and heard the welcome sound of metal striking wood!

“That’s it! You found it!” the ghost said.

“A chest!” The dwarf got down on his hands and knees, and moved the dirt away with his hands. He found that, instead of a chest, there was a wooden floor right under the dirt! He pried up some of the wood with his pick. It was a little difficult because of some caulking on the edges of the wood, but the thought of the treasure so close at hand lent him more strength. Below the wood, the dwarf saw a chamber bathed in the glow of the magical fire. The chamber appeared to be about ten feet tall from dirt floor to wooden ceiling. Otherwise, it was empty.

The dwarf looked up at the ghost accusingly.

“It’s down there! Looks like you’ll have to do a bit more digging, though!” the ghost laughed.

The boards were starting to give way. Baris began to jump down, but slipped. Fortunately, it was not a far drop for him. The dwarf nimbly jumped down right onto Baris’s back, knocking the wind out of him. Baris tried not to think about the fact that the dwarf was naked.

The two disentangled themselves from each other and began digging again. An hour later they were three more feet down, for a total depth of fifty three feet, and they were still going strong!

Ewen looked down the hole, which was by now incredibly deep. He went to get some rope from the ship, in case the diggers needed to be taken out in an emergency.

“I’ve never seen such digging!” the ghost yelled. “I think I’ll go join them!” He floated down the hole, getting at eye level with the dwarf. “Bet you’d like to put the pick right between my eyes! ghost said.”

“It’ll interfere with the digging,” Havard growled.

The ghost floated down so his head was below the pick, which went right through him. The dwarf kept digging, harder, even, as he plunged the pick into the ghost’s face over and over. Sir Baris kept going by contemplating exactly how he would murder the designers of this place. He wondered what would be the most painful method of execution. Perhaps a million little cuts? Or maybe acid ...

Eventually the diggers came upon another chamber. The foot of that chamber was at roughly the seventy foot mark! Muttering curses, the digging pair peered down into the chamber. They watched in horror as the wooden walls begin to buckle, and water began pouring in!

They screamed a warning up to the surface. Quick witted Kaelyn cast a spell to control the water and have it flow upwards and out of the hole. Unfortunately, she was unsuccessful in her casting.

Fortunately, the water was not coming in very fast. The dwarf and knight watched it, fear in their hearts. Not fear for their lives, but fear of losing the treasure! “I think you can keep digging!” the ghost said. “Eventually you’ll find another chamber, the water will drain out.”

Baris tried to kick the ghost in the head, but his foot went right through his head, and the knight unceremoniously fell onto his buttocks.

Sir Ewen lowered Kaelyn down so she could try to control the water again, but she was still unable to do so. ‘Perhaps it’s because this is estuarial water, and I am unfamiliar with its properties,’ she mused.

Meanwhile, the dwarf and knight kept digging. The dwarf looked up for a moment, gauging the structural integrity of the hole as water kept falling in. “It’s fine!” he said, gold fever overwhelming his better judgment.

Soon the dwarf, knight, ghost and sorceress came upon another chamber, which they jumped down into, splashing into a small pool about a foot deep. Kaelyn tried her spell once again, and successfully forced the stream to flow straight up the walls of the seventy foot hole. Relatively quickly, all the water in the pool was gone, as was that draining from the chamber above.

Unfortunately, the spell only lasted six minutes.

The dwarf and the knight began focusing their efforts on the same spot, not bothering to excavate the entire chamber. In about six minutes, they got down four feet. They were now seventy four feet down!

“You’re almost there!” the ghost said.

Can’t you help us, tell us where to dig from here? Kaelyn asked.

The ghost declined. “And ruin the suspense?!”

Kaelyn threatened to find a priest to send the ghost to hell. Something terrible briefly flashed across the ghosts face, the temperature dropped suddenly, and Kaelyn shuddered.

The digging pair felt their sweaty bodies cool for a brief moment, and were glad for it.

The spell stopped, and the water began flowing again, right into the hole the dwarf and knight had dug. Kaelyn tried her spell again, but was quite winded and failed. She tried again, and the water began flowing upwards again.

“You guys are quite a team! It’s incredible to watch you work! I almost want to come back to life and join you!” the ghost said.

The dwarf and knight kept digging, and got down another two feet before the spell ran out.

“Damn! I thought for sure you were going to make it this time!” quipped Merren.

Kaelyn tried the spell again, and passed out. Baris tied the rope to her, and she was carried up. Shortly thereafter, the swearing knight and dwarf were hauled up to the surface. They stumbled a few feet from the hole, collapsed, and fell unconscious.

Cekiya looked down the hole, wondering about Merren. Was he still digging? Could he drown? Probably not. Maybe he was swimming. The water kept rising.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party opined on the purpose of this giant hole. Clearly, Merren didn’t dig it. His ghost denied knowledge of where the treasure was, and moreover the kind of engineering knowledge required to build such a shaft was not likely to be found with a bandit. Ewen wondered whether it was created by official order. It might have been the King’s treasure referred to in Merren O’ the Valley. According to the song, the location of the treasure was not revealed to Merren. That would explain why the ghost didn’t know exactly where the treasure was.

Kaelyn went to pay off the sailors, whose fee had increased. She gave them five shillings to stay another day.

Azura 9, 731

The hole filled up to just above where the first chamber was; roughly thirty six feet down.

Ewen and Kaelyn stood over the pool. Ewen meditated, and then cast “energy pool,” a spell to allow Kaelyn to draw from his energies when casting her spells. Kaelyn tried to cast her water control spell again, but failed. After a brief rest, she tried again, and this time was successful. Water began running up the walls and poured out onto the surface at an alarming rate. Three minutes later, all of the water was cleared. Sir Baris and the dwarf climbed the nearly seventy feet down to the bottom of the third chamber. Kaelyn was tied to a rope and lowered down by Imarë and Cekiya as she continued to successfully concentrate on her spell.

The diggers continued to dig where they had focused the night before, and managed to get down another foot before the water began to flow down again. Fortunately, Kaelyn quickly recast her spell, and the water flowed up the walls. The diggers dug down another three feet. The small hole was now almost seventy eight feet deep. The water began to flow again, and Kaelyn was unable to control it. The knight held the dwarf, who put his head down the hole. He could see another chamber with a wooden floor. The dwarf struggled out of the grip of the knight, and literally pushed himself through the hole, jumping down ten feet to the floor. He was now ninety feet below the surface. Sir Baris dropped down the pick, which the dwarf grabbed in midair and attacked the boards with a vengeance. The ghost popped up. “You’re almost there!” The water kept flowing, but the dwarf dug undaunted, until he came upon yet another chamber! The wooden floor of this final chamber was one hundred feet below the surface.

The ghost went below, and began to glow. The dwarf saw chests! The dwarf jumped down, opened a chest, and to his dismay he found it was full of lead. “Gotcha!” the ghost exulted, and disappeared. The dwarf opened another chest, and found the same thing. Rage filling him, he dumped the chests out, but they were all full of lead.

He ripped up the wooden floor, and to his dismay found the dirt was made of the same material as the walls. That dirt was not previously excavated he realized.

Crestfallen, the dwarf climbed up, and Baris helped him through the small hole. When he learned of the lead, Baris fell to his knees and wept briefly, before gaining control of himself. They sent Kaelyn up, and then climbed up themselves.

The party tested a sample of the lead the dwarf brought up, but found it was just ordinary lead. The dwarf took his pick and smashed the lead into a million little pieces.

“Let’s regroup, and think though what we’re going to do next,” Ewen said.

“Here’s the plan - you dig the next pit!” Sir Baris said bitterly.

The party laughed.

“What about the floor of the hut? Maybe there is something under there.” Ewen said.

The dwarf got that gleam in his eye again, and ran to the hut on his stumpy legs, waving his pick in the air. He began attacking the ground with a vengeance, sending dirt and rocks flying hither and thither.

The crew of the boat was lined up, staring in awe and horror at the gold madness. The could barely see over the gigantic mound of fifty two hundred cubic feet of earth. Some who were lower only saw dirt flying over the top of the man-and-dwarf-made hill.

“If he’s coming back on board, he’s not bringing the pick!” a sailor yelled to general amusement. Finding nothing in the hut, the dwarf continued running around the clearing digging in random places like a dog looking for a lost bone. He found nothing, and eventually running out of steam, the strain from the previous two days effort finally getting to him.

Meanwhile, Imarë walked around the island, looking for any other signs of habitation, but found nothing of note. The rest of the island was fairly heavily wooded.

The party gathered and discussed the hole and what to do next. Kaelyn raised the possibility that this was a decoy made by Jamys Wyll. The dwarf suggested it was meant to break the spirit of the potential treasure hunters, or to cause a falling out of the group.

“Merren is a very unusual ghost,” Cekiya said quietly. “Ghosts shouldn’t be able to touch?”

“So what’s maintaining that?” Ewen wondered aloud.

The dwarf consulted his runes, but found no guidance. “The runes do not speak to me.”

Eventually, the party decided to leave Ulmerien’s Tongue, and they sailed for Lerenil on the evening of Azura 9. The sailors insisted on the dwarf leaving the pick behind. Kaelyn carefully watched the sailors at their work, trying to learn as much as she could. Because they were going upriver, they did not arrive back in town until midmorning on Azura 10; around 8 o’clock in the morning. The ships pilot thanked the party for their patronage, and mentioned he would be happy to take them downriver again if need be.

Azura 10, 731

The party made its way to the inn. “Sir Ewen, Sir Baris, attendants, welcome back!” the innkeeper said happily. “We kept care of your horses for you while you were away. That will be eighteen pence, plus that for another night,” the woman said even more happily. Sighing, Ewen paid the woman.

Sir Baris and the dwarf took a long bath. Baris relaxed and found his thoughts wandering towards Elsa. Perhaps it was time to seek out female companionship. His thoughts then turned to the treasure to be found, and the knight decided he could wait a little bit longer.

The party gathered in the common room to decide what to do next. The dwarf was adamant about finding Shamus so he could vent his frustrations. Baris suggested searching the northern manors for Kriste, pointing out that she may have information they needed, and even if she did not, they could continue searching after they found her. Much discussion was had, but no decision was reached.

Sir Ewen retired to his room to mediate on the problem. He became greatly relaxed and felt a great calmness suffusing his body, but learned nothing. Sir Baris took a nap. Kaelyn and Imarë went to the temple of Peoni.

The temple was quite large. Kaelyn mentioned the ghost they had met, and the priestess nearly fainted. Kaelyn also discovered the temple had little in the way of a library, and she found little of use to the party.

Havard suddenly realized that everyone except Cekiya was elsewhere. Sirs Ewen and Baris were in their rooms, and the elf and the mage were off at the temple. Cekiya was hardly likely to restrain Havard from mayhem. Havard and Cekiya headed off towards the wharves. The dwarf was decked in full kit, consisting of mail, a shield and axe. Havard’s thirst for treasure had been replaced with a thirst for violence, which was filling him to the bursting point.

Down on the wharves, the pair spied Shamus not far from where Cekiya had first met him. He was alone, but the wharves were busy with longshoremen and others going about their business. Cekiya pondered how to approach the man, having been delegated that task by the dwarf. The young woman bought an apple, and then walked up to Shamus, who had his back to him. She was pretty sure he was aware of her. She ate her apple, and then tossed the core into the river, the missile flying about five feet away from the man on its way into the water.

“Nice throw,” Shamus said, turning around. “Did you find what you were looking for downriver, Cekiya?” Shamus asked.

“No.”

Shamus looked over her shoulder. “Doesn’t that stick out like a sore thumb?” Meanwhile, the dwarf was trying his dwarf-best to remain inconspicuous.

“I met Merren,” Cekiya said suddenly. “He’s crazy. He was in a tree when I met him.”

“I don’t know a Merren,” Shamus replied.

“Not even the spirit?”

Cekiya vaguely noticed that some dockworkers had stopped to listen to the exchange.

“You mean a ghost?”

“It was a bad dream.”

Shamus smiled. “Ah. One must be careful of these bad dreams. They are often ... sent.”

She moved closer and whispered, “You mean ... Naveh?”

“You shouldn’t see that name out loud,” Shamus said quickly - and quietly.

“That’s why I whispered it.”

Well, you’ll certainly have more evil dreams now.”

“You know about the local tales?” Cekiya asked, rapidly changing the subject, as was her way.

“Ah, Cekiya, you are ... inscrutable,” Shamus said. “No, I don’t know about any treasure. I know you went to that island, I also happen to know you didn’t find anything, and that your compatriots practically dug to the other side of the world. You should go back to Tashal, where you belong.”

Cekiya changed subjects again. “On a separate note, we’re curious about locating a woman.”

“Go ahead,” Shamus said cautiously.

“Short, brunette. Slightly taller than me.”

“Compared to you, there are definitely taller brunettes.”

“It would be someone passing through like us.”

“I haven’t noticed any woman that meets that description other than you,” Shamus replied.

“Be warned, she might be passing through.”

“I’ll take care of her.”

“Thank you.” A pause. “I like you.”

“I’m glad you like me; I’m wary of you.”

“People are always saying that about me!”

“What about your friend over there?”

“I gotta go talk to him.”

“He’s kind of conspicuous,” Shamus said. “If any of the baron’s men see him ...” he warned. “They’re around, so they’re likely to see him.”

Meanwhile, the dwarf watched Cekiya and Shamus continue to talk, and wondered when the hitting was going to start.

Cekiya started another apple. “What is with this treasure?”

“You mean the treasure with the bandit who was terrorizing this valley a hundred years ago?” Cekiya nodded. “He’s a myth, a legend! There’s nothing real about him. Other than the fact that he was hanged.”

“Why is everyone here so caught up with it, then?”

“You’ve been here for a few days, right? You must know by now that this legend is all this town has. There’s nothing to it, but they don’t have anything else. You said you liked stories,” Shamus continued. “You should talk to Watt.”

“You mean that old guy with the mule?” Cekiya replied innocently. “I knew – know him,” she said quickly. “I like stories, I hope he comes back soon. Well, Shamus, have a good night.”

“Yes, you too. And stay away from the wharves.”

“I can take care of myself,” Cekiya said matter of factly.

“Oh, I don’t doubt. I was worried about the wharves. Oh, and say hello to your friend for me.”

Cekiya waved to Havard. “Oh, dwarf!”

Cekiya introduced Shamus and the dwarf. The dwarf walked right up next to the man, looked up and gave Shamus the evil eye.

Cekiya looked down at him. “No killing Shamus.”

“But my axe thirsts for blood!” the dwarf grumbled.

Cekiya bought another apple.

Havard was privately quite disappointed.

The pair returned to the inn, and the party gathered in the common room. They realized that they were the only ones there.

“Where is everyone,” they asked the woman.

“Oh, it’s tenday. They’re at the Pug & Perry.”

“Is that a competitor?” Ewen asked.

“No, not really,” the innkeeper replied. “More of a tavern.”

“So they got paid and are getting drunk?” Kaelyn asked.

“No, that’s where the baron holds unofficial court. The baron feels that if he listens to grievances in a less formal setting, he can head off more serious disputes. Not my place to say whether that’s a good idea or not, but three times a month my business slows down.”

The party discussed their next moved, and eventually decided to take a boat back to Burzyn. The pilot was happy to have their business.

At dawn on Azura 11, the party sailed for Burzyn, arriving around late afternoon. They disembarked and headed for the Blue Horse Inn, and relaxed there the rest of the day. Baris and the dwarf had a drinking contest, which the dwarf easily won.

Azura 12, 731

The weather on Azura 12 was unsurprisingly depressing. Rain pelted the roof of the inn as the party huddled under their blankets, trying to retain a bit of warmth. No rays of sun penetrated the overcast sky to give them any relief.

Havard and Cekiya went to the other inns and taverns to check if Kriste had come back through town. They heard nothing new.

Kaelyn and Baris went to the College of Heralds. Sir Ewen grudgingly gave Kaelyn a gold crown. Kaelyn asked Baris for change, reasoning it was unlikely that the College would be so obliging. Baris bit the coin, shrugged, then gave Kaelyn her money.
At the College, they met with Lerden Rythal, an apprentice, whom they had met last time they were there. “What may I do for you today, Sir?” he asked Sir Baris, who gestured towards Kaelyn.

“You were so helpful last time, and we have run across some local legends with odd terminology.” Kaelyn.

“It is kind of you to say so. What legends are you referring to?”

“They spoke of Merren.”

“Merren of the Valley, he was a notorious bandit,” Lerden replied.

“We did a circuit of the manors, to see what time has done to them. It is nice to see history alive like that. That’s where we came across these terms - augur, tro, and pit. I was wondering if they had any significance in history, or to you.”

“Well, I can’t say that tro or pit mean anything to me, but augur. Are you sure?”

“Quite.”

“That could be very disturbing,” Lerden said uneasily.

“How so?” asked Kaelyn.

“Well ... you should sit down.”

Kaelyn and Baris sat down on the bench near the table.

Lerden cleared his throat, and continued. “Some time ago ... a long time ago, really, a new religious movement began amongst the Pagaelin. You know who the Pagaelin are, don’t you?”

Kaelyn nodded.

“They had traditionally been inoffensive, religiously speaking. Then they began to follow the Cult of the Walker on the Heath. The priests of this cult are known as augurs.”

“Does it still exist?”

“Yes, it’s been in existence for 60, 70 years or more. It’s not entirely clear when it first took root among the Pagaelin. But at this time, we believe that perhaps two thirds of the Pagaelin tribes are infected with this cult.”

“Any attempt to make them see the error of their ways?” asked Kaelyn.

“No, we don’t have the forces. But it is a concern, for the Pagaelin who follow the cult are more violent and more warlike towards us. However, monthly they have festivals, and they gather in peace to worship, for lack of a better term, the Walker on the Heath. The Pagaelin tribes will often war amongst each other, but not at that time. It is said that for them to fight each other at that time displeases the Walker. I heard a story that these festivals involve certain ... substances, alanal, may be one of them.”

“Are these augurs getting power over the other priests?”

“This much is clear - they are not Pagaelin. It’s not entirely clear where they come from, but they are not barbarians, not Pagaelin.”

“How do you know?”

“I don’t know, but it has been reported by witnesses.”

“Could tro be one of the Pagaelin tribes?”

“I don’t know any of the tribes by name, nor do I know where you could find such information. I don’t know anyone who has studied them. However, the Baron of Caermel, my kinsman, is perhaps the best expert among Chybisans on the Pagaelin, because he has to deal with them so often. However, he might not be familiar with any specific tribe more than is necessary to fight them.”

“Do you know how many augurs there are?” asked Kaelyn.

“I have no idea. But they go amongst the Pagaelin from what they call lodges. I think these are trading posts of sorts.”

“Could you write me an introduction to the good Baron of Caermel?” interjected Baris.

“Of course.”

“What can you tell me about Sir Jamys Wyll?” continued Kaelyn.

“Sir Jamys Wyll was an advisor, engineer, confidant of King Balesir.” Lerden said, some relief evident in the change of topic. “He was a genius. I believe he died before he was even married.”

Baris looked up at the word ‘engineer.’ ‘So that’s who dug that thrice-damned shaft. I’m going to kill him!’ He thought.

“Rumor is he was tortured and murdered by the bandit Merren,” Lerden continued, Baris’s heart sinking.

“I heard the same rumor, which is why I asked.”

“Brilliant man. Brilliant engineer,” said Lerden sadly.

Kaelyn and Baris got up to depart, but not before Kaelyn donated a pound to the college.

“Milady, anytime you need information, you make sure to come right here. Oh, one more thing. The Baron of Caermel is in Burzyn right now. He is staying at the Rythal Town House.”

Lerden sat and wrote Sir Baris a letter of introduction, and Baris and Kaelyn took their leave.

Later on the party met at the Blue Horse, and decided to meet with Baron of Caermel. The party sent a message via stableboy to the Baron, requesting an audience for Sir Ewen.

Meanwhile, Havard and Cekiya decided to go out on the town, which for them meant finding the sleaziest hellhole in town. In this case, that was the Southron’s Rest, a huge inn in the southwest of town. Conversation stopped as the pair entered. Some merriment broke out, followed by business resuming to its usual state.

Cekiya and Havard sat down on a bench, Cekiya muttering something about a game. A barmaid came by, “what’s your pleasure?”

Cekiya inquired about Jarin whiskey.

The barmaid just laughed. “Ale for you, honey!”

A man came over – “Did I heard you talk about a game? How about “Close the Box?”

Cekiya accepted, and the man brought out a box. Cekiya won, and the man said “Bugger you, I know when I’ve been beat,” and he took his box and walked away. Havard grabbed a handy object and tossed it towards the retreating form, but it sailed past him. The man turned around, gave Cekiya a dark look. The dwarf gestured obscenely at him. An enormous human, sitting back, arms crossed with an ale in front of him, smiled and laughed at the dwarf. It was unclear whether this was a laugh of camaraderie or insult. The dwarf hoisted his ale into the air, and the man returned the gesture. He was taller even than Sir Baris, burly, huge arms like a lumberjack, with ginger colored hair and a mustache.

The dwarf demanded a passing wench’s attention, and ordered food and drink for himself, Cekiya, and his large friend. “We are bored as snot, and are looking for some entertainment!” Havard said.

The man replied easily, “You’re in the wrong town. This is the dullest town I’ve ever been in. I liked the way you handled that man, though, that was entertaining. Let me buy you a drink. Another drink for my friend here, on me!” The dwarf smashed his tankard against the man’s, and another drink was brought.

“Don’t take this the wrong way ... but, you’re either incredibly short, or ...” and the man’s voice dropped, “you’re a Khuzan.”

The dwarf yelled, and went on a spiel, telling this man his name and deeds.

“I hear you, and I apologize. Havard of Terrika, I know your clan. Let me give you my name: I am Gwyn of Polruan.” Gwyn granted. “Clan Terrika, I have heard of it.”

“As one would expect,” said Havard grandly. “What brings you to this town?”

“Criminals,” Gwyn grumbled.

“Are you a taker of bounties and a smasher of skulls??

Gwyn grinned. “I am. I seek those who have stolen from the Crown of Kaldor.”

The dwarf got in Gwyn’s face. “Give me their names, so I may hunt them down and beat them for you!”

“No, I am capable of doing that myself,” Gwyn gestured.

“Is one of them short with brown hair?” Havard asked with typical dwarven subtlety.

“No, they have a knight leading them. Perhaps you’ve heard of him. Baris Tyrestal.”

“What did he steal from the crown?” asked Cekiya innocently.

“He stole certain documents from the chancellery,” Gwyn grimaced.

“The deuce, you say,” erupted Havard. “I will find this man and I will split his skull with the teeth of my axe.”

“I would much prefer retrieving the documents,” Gwyn got out.

“What human kingdom do you come from?” asked Havard, fishing.

“I work for the Chancellor of Kaldor, Lord Dariune.”

“Is your lord a man of action? Does he crush skulls?”

“No, he delegates that to others,” Gwyn grunted.

Havard’s eyes narrowed. “He’s not a diplomat, a pusher of pens and quills, a writer of letters and writs ...” Havard trailed off disgustedly.

“Do you know anything of this?”

Havard looked insulted. “What, stupid human documents, petty pieces of paper blowing in the wind?”

“Yet you find yourself here in Burzyn, how did this come to be?” Gwyn groped.

“It is not to do with your human kind. The last man to ask too directly felt the bite of my axe.”

“He hasn’t even told me,” said Cekiya airily.

Gwyn glowered at her. “And who are you?”

“Apples.”

Gwyn glanced back to Havard. “Charity, is it?”

“Our relationship is complex. Something along those lines.”

“I imagine it would be. This has been fascinating. I believe I shall turn in. A pleasure meaning you, Havard, and ...”

“Can I find you here again?” Havard asked.

“Yes, I am staying here,” Gwyn gave.

“Are you staying in town long?”

“That is up to my lord,” Gwyn groused.

“Is he here?”

“Oh yes.”

“I heard there was another human noble of significant rank in town. They are multiplying like rabbits!” sneered Havard.

“This is Burzyn! It’s the capital of Chybisa.”

“Oh, I did not know that.”

“I would be pleased if you met with my lord, Sir Jorn,” Gwyn grasped.

“I bend no knee to a human lord.”

“I would not think so, but you may have seen things that would be of interest to us. Perhaps you would break your fast with us in the morning?” gabbled Gwyn.

“Does your lord serve ale with his meals?”

“He will serve a small beer.”

“That is acceptable, I will meet with your lord.”

“You will meet with my lord here in the morning?” Gwyn grated.

“Is Sir Jorn a man of campaigns and battles, or is he another wielder of quills?”

“He is a perfect, gentle knight,” garnished Gwyn.

“Gentle? Does he not beat his enemies with his blade?”

“He is a man of nobility. A man of stern decision.” Gwyn growled.

“I feel you are evading my question.”

“He is a knight.”

Gwyn rises and leaves the common room.

As Havard makes towards the door, Cekiya complains, “Havard, we haven’t killed anyone yet!”
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle