Session Sixty-Three - February 8, 2009

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Sixty-Three - February 8, 2009

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:28 pm

Halane 24, 731

After breakfast, Filen ventures off to the college of heralds to do research the Meleken clan and the ‘new’ heir’s claim. Also, he tells the party, he would like to check in on Querene.

Baris is in his rooms, still recovering from his little adventure. Imarë, being the kind soul that the she is, keeps him company; reciting her favorite poetry from her youth.

Ewen and Kaelyn decide that a visit to the Tower Inn is in order for lunch and information. Imarë, upon hearing that Ewen is going out in public, offers to heal his head injury, but it is already healed. As Ewen and Kaelyn walk through Mangai Square, Kaelyn’s attention wanders. She notices a discarded piece of parchment laying on the wayside. Being one never to throw away parchment, she collects the item. Much to her amusement it is a crudely lettered reward broadsheet “leading to the arrest of the dastardly footpads who slew Dafydd of Ewen.” The reward is quite nice, but insulting to one of Ewen’s rank. One pound each from: the Mangai, the innkeepers guild, and Querene of Valain. The broadsheet appears to have been tacked up (rather than handed out) and Kaelyn wonders why it was not still hanging.

At the Tower Inn, Sepian recognizes Ewen and he seats the two, while discussing the recent attack upon Dafydd. Ewen inquires about the discarded broadsheet they found and Sepia tells him that Querene had withdrawn her offer and therefore so did everyone else. Ewen introduces Kaelyn as they order the fowl for lunch. As ale is being refilled, Ewen asks if Sepian has any protection, either hired guards or customers that could help in a fight, in case the Tower is attacked in the same manner as the Seven Stars was. Sepian replies that he has no customers currently that would much good in a fight, but he doesn’t believe that he or his establishment is in any jeopardy. Sepian feels that it was Dafydd’s known beliefs about the Jarin that perhaps led to his untimely death. Ewen and Kaelyn finish their meal and ales and return to Raven Hall.

After dinner Filen returns and informs Ewen that he had good news and bad news. Ewen asks the bad news first. Filen replies that Querene of Valain is the angriest woman in Kaldor. Ewen wonders why if she is so angry why she withdrew her offer of reward to the footpads that killed Dafydd. Filen replies that he does not know the exact reason, but has the feeling that a larger client became involved. Filen understands that she is taking it no farther. The good news is that he spent most of the day at the college of heralds, took a look in at the chancery, and spoke to Sir Rohn. It seems that Sir Rohn was well aware of the Meleken heirs. Neither herald is sure if the King’s Herald, Sir Migray Hosath, is aware of the heirs and following information. Based on research into the Osel line, the so-called heirs are not entitled to the earldom. There is a defect in the Earldom’s succession entail. Normally it entails that the heirs of the body of Osel, but this an old family and the entail says that the heirs are those of the Earl’s body or his sons’ sons. In other words, the heir must of have at least a grandfather who had been an Earl of Osel. Sir Barron is the great grandson, his father, the proper heir, died four years ago. Filen doesn’t believe this is in the spirit of the law but according to the letter, neither Sir Barron, his brother nor their sons are able to lay claim to the earldom. Ewen thanks Filen for this information and retreats to his room to think and he would like to clairvoyance for Dregald, so he needs to meditate. Unfortunately, Ewen’s meditation is so deep he falls asleep.

Halane 25, 731

At the start of the day, Baris emerges from his room and proceeds to eat his fill of breakfast causing the majordomo to exclaim to Ewen that Baris will eat them out of house and home. After breakfast Kaelyn retreats to her room to study and hopefully learn a new spell. Baris and Imarë go shopping to replace the weapons that were taken from Baris; primarily a new dagger or two and a new axe or two or three…

At dinner, Baris’ gaze is drawn down the hall to the men at arms seated at their tables. Ewen and Imarë notice that something has caught Baris’ attention and they look as well. They notice that some of the men are different; evidently they are on a rotation similar to that of the men at Dickon house. As the female servants serve them, they begin to sing ‘The Thardan Lads’ with Sergeant Denyl’s voice coming out as the most prominent. He is a fine singer.

After dinner Cekiya and Ewen head to the Spurs to speak to Halime and Baris and Imarë go to Tower Inn to see if they can hear the latest gossip. Baris, remembering his last night out, arms himself accordingly with a sword, dagger and axe. Imarë and Baris enter the Tower and as they take their seats they call out ‘Ale!’ in unison, causing their server to give them an odd look. They scan the room and no one who looks like a man-at-arms or of that ilk and they see various professional women. One comes over to the table and gives Imarë the once over. She offers Baris a bad pick-up line and he, still not at peak performance, accidently insults her. The woman stalks off and for the rest of the night Baris has bad luck speaking to women. To keep up the appearance that Baris is a rube, Imarë and Baris decide that Imarë should slap Baris and storm out. Imarë executes her performance and the serving maid, clearing the table, tells Baris ‘serves ya right.’

Outside Imarë inspects the stables, where she is greeted by the stable boy. She admires the eight or so palfreys in the stable, but sees no horses or tack that indicates that a man like Dregald has stabled his horse there. After a few more moments of idle chit-chat with the stable boy, Imarë gets the feeling that the young lad is slightly infatuated with her. She soon leaves to join Baris on the walk home.

Ewen walks into the Spurs and the conversation briefly dies as the regulars see the new-comer who has entered. A second later Cekiya enters the room and there is an eerie silence in the room as all eyes are on her. Ewen tells Cekiya to find him a seat. Cekiya walks to the far table and half of the table gets up and leaves. Cekiya dusts the seat off for Ewen. The serving wench brings over ales and Halime pops in rather quickly afterward.

“Well, it’s been a while. I’ve been missing you something fierce,” Halime says, “That’s just wrong isn’t it? It is Sir Ewen isn’t it?” Halime gives Ewen a small bow and Ewen merely smiles patiently.

“Well, what do I owe the honor of this visit,” Halime says finally as he takes a seat across from Ewen.

“Merely wish to know what is new.”

“Oh, it’s a social call is it? Word on the street is that someone who knows which end of a sword is which is running rampant through the city, but that person has pretty important friends.”

“Really? Running rampant through the city?” Ewen waits patiently as Halime nods and continues.

“Most people can put two and two together and get four pence,” Halime pulls four pence and places the coins on the table, “I put two and two together and get five.” Halime pulls another coin out and puts it next to the other four.

“Maybe the guy running rampant, as you say, is the same one who burned me out of Gray House,” Ewen replies.

Halime smiles and tells Ewen that they both know that the person who burned him out of Gray house was not a guy. Ewen asks if Halime has heard of Mykin.

“Mykin? Yep, bit of a fop. Had given thought of relieving him of some of his foppery.”
“Is he still in town?”

“No, he’s been gone two or three days. Last I heard he was staying in a rat hole on the upper east side.”

“We think it was his girlfriend who burned me out of the house.”

“Girlfriend? It was his girlfriend?” Halime asks, and begins to play with his pennies.

Ewen moves the conversation on. “I understand there was briefly some money on the street for information about the attack on the Seven Stars.”

“Oh that’s true. Three pounds, until it was yanked. I would have turned you in myself. Rumor has it that a certain lady of deep or should I say, huge assets, was going to put someone out of business. Funny thing as I understand it. It’s not as if it would have ever been collected. Dafydd was a commoner; for a knight, three pounds is an insult and for a footpad, it’s two and half pounds too much.” Halime begins to spin one penny.

“Does Querene know who did it?”

“No, she just wanted the footpad responsible.”

“She must be angry.”

“Oh, she’s mad enough to eat iron. But, if she pursued it, she’d be in the poor house and lucky to be there. It seems her physical safety was also in jeopardy.”

“I think you are right Halime, someone does have friends in high places. So, how did you put two and two together? ”

“I know what Querene’s girdle feels like to wear.”

“A man ought to know who his benefactors are,” Ewen says, digesting Halime’s last comment.

“As I see it, it’s like this. It’s pointing out to interested persons that satisfaction isn’t going to happen. There are those with reasons to kill and the rank to pull it off.”

“I can’t imagine these are the only people interested in my activities in Tashal. Have you heard of anyone else?”

“No one else is looking into you that I’ve heard.”

“Ever hear of a guy named Dregald?”

“Of course, who hasn’t? He’s the Earl of Neph’s hatchet man.” Halime says with a half laugh, until he notices Ewen just grinning.

Halime chuckles. “You do need to live dangerously. He high-tailed it out yesterday after only being in the city a couple of days. He was staying at the Tower Inn. He left, came back, and left again. I always keep track of him.”

“Do you keep track of what he was up to?”

“Nope. First time he was here, he was with Neph and then they both left. But he came back on his own.”

“What about Neph’s other eyes and ears?”

“There is a pipsqueak on the upper east side that thinks he’s a spy.”

“Do you know the extent of his intelligence network?” Ewen asks, hoping to get a better handle on Neph.

Halime merely shrugs, “I’ve found that the closer you get to Gardiren the stickier his net becomes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had information more than the people at court.”
Ewen nods and asks if there is to be anything done with the Seven Stars. Halime says that Worton Harbor is thinking of whom to sell the franchise to as it was profitable, someone must want it.

Ewen stands to leave with Cekiya by his side, “Let me know when Dregald returns.”

“Sure. Your appreciation isn’t always manifesting.”

Ewen reaches into his purse, “That’s two shillings and two shillings.” Ewen places five shillings on the table.

Halime is now grinning with real mirth. “Well, Sir Ewen, with that sense of humor, we may get along after all.”

Ewen and Cekiya leave the Spurs and walk over to Hag Hall where they are greeted in the normal fashion. Ewen waiting in the hall a few moments while Rahel is notified, and then going up and Cekiya is informed of any fresh pastries in the kitchen.

Ewen enters the study on the third floor, greeting Rahel, “You work late my dear.”

“If you call it work. Tell me my brother, how do you fare?” She says turning to greet him.

“Well enough. I think that I have you to thank for the three pound reward being revoked.”

“Partly, it was such an undignified amount. You have Sir Harth to thank. I told him for such an insignificant faux pas the bounty should be £100 out of our account, which of course would be moved.” She pauses to give a smile, “I don’t think that Harth enjoyed that errand.”

“I’m happy to hear that. In truth, I begrudge Sir Harth in his protection of you dear sister.”

Rahel goes on to say that she thinks that Sir Harth, is lonely. He has no family and so his work is his life. Ewen makes the comment that if he acts much the same way around the ladies as he does around Ewen it’s not really a wonder. Rahel merely smiles and continues on the conversation.

“I’ve been busy. You see, I have a problem. I have been in some ways been too busy. I have been established in Tashal almost a year as a lady in my own right. It is difficult place for me to assert that which Tashal expects in what is Hag Hall. For entertaining here would simply would not do.”

“You’ve spoken of your accommodations before.”

“They are wonderful accommodations, for our father and great aunt. I wanted you to know that I am going to emulate the Lady Bresyn Risai, she…”

“Crochets?” Ewen interrupts with a smile.

“Very funny. No, boring. I would rather open my veins.”

“She has managed to be entertained without entertaining. It is important that I am seen in the best houses neither with reciprocation nor on your arm. I am thinking of Eddas Roulan, the Baron of Stimos. He can’t get it up anyway, I do believe something is wrong,” Rahel murmurs to herself.

“I value these insights I can’t get anywhere else,” Ewen states without inflection.

Rahel laughs, “Let us talk. It will be soon enough that there will be occasions that we must be seen but not together but don’t worry brother dear, we will be connected. Except perhaps in the presence of Lady Bresyn, remember she is a Deryni.”

“Prudent. As you know I am trying to pursue my lady Thilisa.”

“Of course, I insist upon it,” Rahel replies. “Just know that her child may never supplant mine.”

As she says that a light dawns in Ewen’s eyes and he feel s for the consciousness in Rahel’s womb and is aware of his son. He conveys his thoughts to Rahel through rapport, his endless joy and a reaffirmation that no child shall take their son’s place. Rahel is overcome at this, and leads Ewen to bed.

Halane 26, 731

After breakfast, and Ewen and Cekiya have returned from Hag Hall, Baris reports his epic failure to gain any information the night before. Ewen reports that Dregald has left Tashal and that Halime will inform them of his return. The next few days pass in relative peace.

Halane 28, 731

Kaelyn reports to the group that she has mastered a new spell and now can use the spell of Frostblade, which Ewen and Baris saw in action (albeit a more skill Odivshe was using the spell) during the battle with the Navite priests and Pagaelin.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle