Session Sixty-Nine - November 14, 2009

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Sixty-Nine - November 14, 2009

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:09 am

Savor 15, 731

Mid-afternoon in Tashal, Baris is determined to begin immediately on his questette of the key and the missing Arton. Imarë, recalling his last venture alone, decides she needs to following closely on his heels. Learning from Cekiya that there is not a debtors prison they head off to the Temple of Sarajin. Horveal of Endjan greets Baris heartily and eyes Imarë with a satyric eye. They quickly find out that he does not know anything more about the letters than does Baris nor has he ever heard of Arton. Despite this stop being a bust, Baris remained determined to continue and leads Imarë to the Hall of the Aldermen.

Baris enters the hall and a clerk quickly greets them.

Baris, “ I would like to make an inquiry.”

The clerk eyes him and responds “And you are?”

“Sir Baris Tyrestal,” he respond astonished that he had to clarify.

“Have you heard of a peasant named Arton Wyant of Whyce?”

“No, I have not. Why would you come here?”

Imarë seeing the way the conversation was going decides to step in. “Seeing if any judgments were made against him.”

Baris feeling she is overstepping her bounds quickly states, “I wondered if he may have come a foul of the law?”

The clerk still confused asks, “Are you investigating in an official capacity?”

“No.”

At this response the clerk glances over Baris’ shoulder as if trying to find a polite response instead of the condescending ones that seemed immediately to spring to his mind. Baris’s sharp observation sees this and resigns to the situation by placeing 5s on the table, “It is a favor for a friend.” The clerk casually reaching for the shillings and places them in his purse and tells them he should have something by next week and they should return at that time.

Imarë, proud that he has not caused any trouble, follows him on to locate a locksmith. Heading down Heru Road towards Mangai Square they pass the Coin and Broom. Baris pauses and looks at Imarë hoping she is just as parched as he is. Catching his glance and knowing he has already spent the 5s he is willing to carry, sighs and indulges him anyway. After an ale or two Baris feels energized enough to continue on with his questette. Peeking into the first locksmith shop they see several patrons milling about and Baris not being in the mood to wait heads to the locksmith on the far side of the square.

As they enter they see an old man at a work table and two apprentices working diligently at their tasks. The old man stays seated but looks up and greets them. “Hello, how can I help you?”

Baris extends his hand showing the man the key “I was wondering if you recognize this key?” The older man takes the key peering at the markings “Well of course I do, those are my marks.”

Baris finally feeling like he is making progress plunges in with more questions. “Do you know Arton Wyant?”

“No.”

Baris undeterred asks who commissioned the key.

“I don’t know, have you lost what it opens?”

“Yes, what would it have been made for?”

“A chest or a padlock, nothing particularly fancy.”

Baris looking momentarily confused asks the old man why he uses runic letters as his mark.

“It stands for me, Jere of Merlim, Locksmith. Although I don’t always use the ‘L’.” He ponders for a moment and nudges the apprentice nearest to him, “Why don’t I always use the ‘L’?”

The apprentice responds in a patient voice, “Because sometimes you forget Master.”

The old man, now identified as Jere of Merlim, nods knowingly, “Ah, yes, because sometimes I forget.”

Baris still wanting more, inquires after records or some other paper trail. Jere begins to laugh, rocking dangerously on his chair. The apprentice tenses ready to catch the old man just in case. “Well, do you know about when you made it,” Baris asks, not used to anyone other than the ladies of the current household laughing at him.

Jere regains control of himself and re-examines the key. “I would say within the past 10 years.”

Baris, feeling that he is back on firmer footing continues with his questions. “Is it abnormally worn or is it in typical condition for it’s age?”

Jere hands the key back to Baris, answering “No, it’s in pretty good shape. It probably wasn’t used a whole lot. Although it has a strange patina on one side.”

Baris smirks, thinking fondly of the key’s former resting place, before thanking Jere for his time. Imarë wanting to show her appreciation for his patience with Baris’s questions purchases a new lock and key she spotted on a shelf. Recognizing the intricate Khuzan work, still decides it is well worth the 124d he is asking for it.

Back at Raven’s Hall, Arnys answers Ewen’s summons. “Hello Sir Ewen, I hope that your travels to your new manors went well.”

“Hello Arnys, yes thank you. I wanted to let you know of four people we saw during our travels in Whyce and hope you can keep an eye out for them.” Ewen describes them and asks if Arnys has any new news for him. Arnys tells Ewen that a mercenary company has set up shop in the tenement next to his. They are about 20 men comprising a light foot company and are calling themselves the ‘White Ravens.’ He is unsure of their armament as they don’t wear it outside. He’s also heard of a third company but hasn’t seen them. Ewen thanks Arnys for his time and mentions that he’ll be in touch.

Savor 16, 731

Ewen spends the better part of the day visiting Rahel. He is relieved to hear that the pregnancy is going well. She mentions that Lord Stimos is having a party on the 25th and thinks it would be in his best interest not to attend the party least he look too much like a man of Tharda. Ewen thanks her for advice and like all things she suggests will take it into immediate consideration.

While the rest of the party relaxes from their adventures in Ewensitting, Kaelyn takes advantage of the respite and begins to learn a new spell.

Savor 17, 731

The day passes quietly. In the evening Baris and Ewen attend the Lady Pesera’s party. After a few moments of watching and listening to the female guests, Ewen remarks to Baris ‘I have seen quieter hen parties on the manor of my youth.’

Kaelyn is thankful for the peace and quiet to continue her studies.

Savor 18, 731

Up early to breakfast the ladies are surprised to see Sir Ewen and Sir Baris in good form after attending a party only to learn that it wasn’t really their crowd.

A messenger arrives from Sir Grogan Savellce , Bailiff of Inbernel. He wanted to know if Sir Ewen and the party will be staying at one of the new manors for the winter. Ewen replied that he and four members of his household will be arriving on the 27th.

After a few moments of discussion Ewen, Kaelyn and Cekiya plan to depart for Varayne today and Imarë and Baris will join them on the 25th once they have visited the clerk at the Hall of the Alderman.

Savor 18-24, 731

Ewen reviews his books for Varayne and visits the locals. Kaelyn continues her studies and is happy that she has succeeded and can now Summon Elmithri. ‘See what I can accomplish without that ox in a pottery shop!’ she gleefully exclaims.

In Tashal, Baris whiled away his time in Sir Ewen’s study drinking his brandy and smoking his pipe. While Imarë communed with nature and took no part in Baris’s mischief.

Savor 25, 731

Before departing for Varayne, Baris and Imarë stop at the Hall of the Aldermen. Baris, hopes held high, greets the clerk. Unfortunately his 5s bought naught.

They arrive late and loudly to the manor. Cekiya emerges from the shadows greeting Imarë and Baris with her cool eyes. Baris, nonplussed, asks the adder “Hello Cekiya. Did you have a fun week?”

She, catlike, approaches close and tells him in a low purr “I can’t tell or I’ll have to bury you with the rest of them.”

Savor 26, 731

Rising early they break bread and head off to Inbernel with plans to overnight in Claydon.

Arriving in the later afternoon the party stops at a small inn called the Prancing Poult for a pint of ale and to send word to the manor house announcing their arrival. Kaelyn sips her ale and ponders, ‘if a poult can prance then can a poult prance prettily?’ Ewen sees the bemused look on Kaelyn’s face and wishes he was a little closer to read her thoughts.

A man comes into the common room. To Baris and Ewen’s eye he appears to be a huntsman. Noticing the party he makes his way to the table looks at Baris and greets, “Sir Ewen?” Baris gives a pleased smirk and a jerk of his head as Ewen rises a touch annoyed and states that HE is Sir Ewen. The man turns his attention to Ewen, “Ah. My name is Dirith of Coten. Sir Catham bids you welcome and asks if you would care to stay at the manor house?”

Accepting the invitation, Ewen says thank you and states we will be there in an hour’s time, gesturing to all at the table indicating the entire party appreciate Sir Catham’s hospitality.

After the party finish their ales they depart for the manor on top of the hill.

The manor is surrounded by a low stone wall. To the left of the wooden gate are the stables where the horses are taken. The two story manor house is in the center of the compound with a one story addition attached to it on the right; both are made out of stone with a slate roof. Upon entering, the party sees two doors, the one on the left enters the kitchen and the other leads to the great hall where a repast is laid out. After noticing the meal ready for them they see that the arms of Sir Catham are prominently displayed: a field of purple with an embattled gold border, and a talbot passant of the second. As Sir Catham greets Sir Ewen warmly, the party notices that the current bailiff of Claydon is a bit of dandy. Ewen thanks him for his hospitality for the night and asks if he could have a tour. Sir Catham begins the tour by pointing out that the addition to the great hall is actually a larger bedchamber with two sets of bunk beds. On the second floor there is a large bedchamber, which is Sir Catham’s quarters. As Ewen inspects Sir Catham’s quarters, Imarë notices that Sir Catham and Dirith have no issue sharing personal space. After Ewen’s brief inspection, Sir Catham offers his bed to Ewen for the night. Sir Ewen, after a slight pause, accepts.

Savor 27, 731

The party rises early to find to their shock and awe that the weather is sunny and warm, a perfect fall day. As the rest of the party gathers their things and prepares to depart, Cekiya takes a few moments to slip into the inn and makes her enigmatic query after the foursome they had seen Whyce. She finds that they were the only strangers to arrive in the past few days.

After riding twenty minutes they arrive in Inbernel. They ride north across past the recently harvested orchard and the smell of apples that had fallen and fermented on the ground wafting about the party’s noses. Across from the manor house is the inn which is called ‘Ale House.’ Sir Grogan waits at the end of the bridge with a few men at arms to greet Sir Ewen: a messenger obviously had been sent ahead. Sir Grogan greets Sir Ewen and Sir Baris and welcomes them to Inbernel. Ewen replies, “Thank you, Sir Grogan. Your brother was very kind to greet us at Claydon.”

“Was he? I’m surprised he had the time.”

“Yes, I appreciated him taking the time to give me a small tour of the manor there and I am looking forward to taking a larger tour of Inbernel.”

“Of course, do you wish to see the manor or the village first?”

“Manor first and then we shall rest briefly and stable our horses and then visit the village.”

Crossing over the bridge through the gate they see a crenellated curtain wall, which is very unusual in a manorhouse. Baris begins to look closer at the manor defenses. He realizes a crenellation license is only granted by the King and why would a manor need such an component of defense? Inner battlements where the men stand is eight feet above the ground with the lower portion of the ramparts being only two feet higher and the upper portion two more feet above that, bringing the total height of the battlements to twelve feet. Baris noticing this thinks to himself that he would hate to defend this manor as that offers very little protection. The stone tower situated to the right is 15 feet square and 30 feet tall. At the end of the bridge, continuing his cursory inspection of the grounds, Baris notes that the bridge is not hinged and wonders how he you pull up a drawbridge that is fixed in place.

Like Claydon, immediately to the left are the stables where there is room for fourteen horses. All but two stalls are filled. Sir Grogan mentions that he has made some room for their horses but unfortunately a majority of the party’s horses must be stabled at the inn. Sir Grogan points to another building mentioning that this is the barracks for the light horse squadron. There is a small open structure with a forge for the blacksmith. As the party gets closer they see who they thought was the blacksmith is actually a weapons crafter. There is a well in the center of the compound. At the far side of the compound is a barn with a small hen house with chicks walking freely. Baris leans towards Ewen and indicating the hens, says “Remind you of any recent evenings?” Ewen merely smiles as he continues to listen to Sir Grogan. Walking behind the manor house the party sees an open structure that is used to store wood.

As they walked around the manorhouse touring the grounds, the party notices that it is in two parts. Larger part has first floor made of stone and the second floor made of wattle and daub. The smaller part is single floor wattle and daub. The smaller part is evidently the kitchen as they see the door open with the cook and her assistant working. As they prepare the evenings meal a chicken walks into the kitchen, Imarë notes that the fowl is taking its life in its wings. There is a narrow enclosed walkway that connects the two buildings.

Inside the party walks straight into the great hall. There is a gallery above and Sir Grogan points out that there is a garde robe to the right just past the entrance of the walkway leading to the kitchen. He then takes Sir Ewen and guests upstairs. As they enter onto the balcony area they see a large fireplace with two women seated near. The younger woman rises and gives the group a curtsey and the older woman remains seated, but gives a nod of acknowledgement. Sir Grogan introduces the older woman as his wife Lavina. As he makes the introductions Sir Ewen and Sir Baris notice two canes hooked over the arm of the chair. “Please excuse me, my legs suffer a wasting disease and I am unable to rise.” Lady Lavina says with a small smile. Ewen bows gallantly to the Lady. Sir Grogan then introduces the younger woman as their daughter-in-law, Debela. “My son Sir Sedris is currently out riding and will greet you when he returns.”

Grogan leads the party through the door next to the fireplace. There is a door leading to the right, which is a smaller room with a chair to the right with a hole in the center of the seat. Sir Grogan proudly tells the party that this is the ablutions room. “Lavina had problems using the privy, with the current state of her legs, so I invented this seat for her. I call it the ‘seat of ease.’”

“It is amazing the developments in technology these days,” Baris remarks dryly.

Ewen looks at Sir Grogan with a straight face and says. “If you build more of these, you could call them ‘Grogans.’”

Grogan smiled at this idea and nods as if he thinks this a fine idea. He then leads the party out of the room back down the stairs to the door immediately to the right. Through the door the party sees to the right the Laranian chapel and to the left a comfortable room. He indicates to Ewen that this will be his room for the duration of his stay. At the far end of the hallway is another garde robe and armory on the right. Directly across from the armory is a room with bunk beds. Sir Grogan apologizes to Baris that there is no room in the manor for him but his sergeant has given up his room for him in gatehouse.

After the tour of the manor Sir Grogan begins to show the party the town. He is particularly proud of the manorial farm and it becomes more evident as he points out the well, farm house, two barns (one for storage and one for livestock), orchards and still house. He tells the party that the apples from the orchard produce a truly excellent apple brandy. He tells the group that there are thirty-four families in this village. Most are farmers but the village does boast its own charcoaler, metalsmith, timberwright, Inn, salter, and miller. There is also Peonian Chapel lead by the Ebasethe Jenyl of Tyle. Grogan pauses in his narrative and tells the party that the Larani priestess is also named Jenyl.

As they cross over the river toward the orchards, Sir Grogan tells them that most of the houses here belong to the yeomanry. Inbernel has four yeomen: two medium foot and two bowmen. The party sees the large walled structure that houses the scholars Grogan mentioned in his initial visit to Ewen.

“Kaelyn, you should go and visit,” Ewen says with a chuckle in his voice.

“They are not fond of outsiders,” Grogan quickly explains to Ewen.

“Well, Kaelyn fashions herself a scholar and you would think that she would be welcome, but I don’t want to disturb the fine arrangement you have established.”

Grogan shrugs and explains that they are a quiet bunch and don’t really leave the compound, but their seneschal is named Martell of Kralas. As Grogan explains more about the scholars the party takes in the outer structure of the compound.

There is a tower five stories high, twenty feet in diameter with crenellations on top. Whereas the rest of the structure is only three stories high with a slate roof. The whole structure is made of finely cut stone.

The tour ends and all return to the manor house where they meet Sir Grogan’s son, Sedris. Sir Sedris is a younger, beardless version of his father.

After a brief rest, dinner is served. A separate dinner is brought upstairs to the Ladies Lavina and Debela. Dining in the great hall are around twenty servants, a number of men at arms and their captain and lieutenant. The captain is named Thorp of Mappel and the lieutenant is Toma of Gange. After the introductions, Ewen remarks “I hope I get the opportunity to see the men drill.”

“That can be arranged. We use the manorial common to drill,” Sir Grogan replies. “These men are paid but are not mercenaries. Inbernel is quite quiet though we do retain a small retinue of men for skirmishes and crowd control at the behest of the previous Earl of Osel. Malden did not know about them, as Lady Thilisa apparently did not tell him.”

After dinner the party enjoys a nightcap of the manor’s apple brandy and then retire for the night.

Savor 28, 731

The party awakes to find the day slightly cooler and overcast. The harvest is complete, so the village is quiet as all the villagers rest from the rigors of the season. At breakfast Sir Grogan inquires of Ewen about how he managed to acquire such a fine mare as Iblis. Ewen replies that she was gift from the King of Tharda. After Grogan and Ewen finish discussing horses, Baris asks about the possibility of going hunting. Sir Sedris tells Baris that there are 390 acres they have available for hunting. Imarë expresses an interest in the hunt as well and the three make plans to spend the day in that manner. Ewen wistfully listens in and expresses regret that he must spend this nice fall day inside going over the books. As breakfast progresses a matronly women appears carrying an infant. The infant is Sir Sedris’ first and at the moment only son. The woman is the child’s wet nurse and also helps care for Lady Lavina. The wet nurse has a happy and bubbly nature, a sharp contrast to the listless nature of Lady Debela.

After Baris, Imarë and Sir Sedris leave for the hunt and Ewen begins his inspection of the books, Cekiya and Kaelyn find themselves with nothing to occupy their time. Cekiya takes it upon herself to look for the village cemetery and evidently ends up annoying the Peonians as she takes a nap next to a particularly fresh grave.

Kaelyn begins her own tour of the village by stopping at the inn to see first hand the locals and perhaps hear any gossip.

As she enters the inn, she garners a few odd looks, but as she is female the men nod as if to say ‘ah, female, she’ll cause no trouble.’

The Innkeeper greets her and introduces himself as Waarn of Smallbure. Kaelyn smiles as she introduces herself and confirms their suspicions that she is part of the new Lord’s retinue and will be staying the winter at Inbernel. The innkeeper gestures towards a seat and begins the introductions.

“Let me point out the lads here. That burly fellow there is Gable of Oak, our herder. That bloke next to him is Henery of Frey, one of our leading villeins. Another of our villeins is me cousin Jak of Smallbure.” Waarn points to another man sitting at the bar, ‘and here is Laban of Tall. He’s half a’villein as he is a half as tall.”

As Waarn and the rest of the common room laugh at this joke, Laban mutters to Kaelyn, “They always make that joke.”

Waarn continues, “This one here is Cainy of Tall, Laban’s cousin, and that’s poor Jan of Poorgrass.” Waarn grins broadly at his last pun, and just resigns to introducing the last two men as carters. “Will ye have a cold pint?”

Kaelyn merely nods, as Gable cleans off a dirty mug and fills it himself. As he hands it to her he says, “The retainer of the new Lord won’t mind a little good honest dirt.”

Kaelyn replies “No, not at all,” as she takes a large fortifying swallow.

Waarn encouraged by the calm demeanor of Kaelyn, continues, “So, how’d a bynt like ye come in service of this here new lord of ours?”

Kaelyn gives an abbreviated version of her travel from school, the fact that she went to school causes a few eyes to wide, and her meeting of Ewen. She cuts the story really short by merely saying that she noticed that he was a man of potential opportunities and asked if he was willing to keep her on as his personal scholar/scribe.

“I be tellin’ ye missy, that we han’t a little concern of having a new lord,” Waarn tells her in a conspiratorial tone.

Kaelyn tries her best to reassure the men that Ewen is an upstanding knight, but unfortunately starts off wrong by telling them that he is the First Knight of Kaldor. They are confused as to what that means, so she has to try to explain the royal tournament to them. After a few tries and swigs more of ale, Waarn interrupts, “O’ I don’t know ‘bout all that knightly stuff. We’re more worried that he’ll be replacing Sir Grogan.”

Kaelyn hastily assures that nothing of the sort is going to happen.

Laban looks up from his ale, “Ah that be good news for a change.”

Jak looks at Laban with pity on his face “Ye han’t been the same since ye married that woman. Ye’ve aged forty years in four.”

Kaelyn finishes her ale and asks for another. This time it is Henery that is closest to the tap and refills both his and hers. Kaelyn thanks him and says that she is willing to answer any questions the men might have, because you can’t ask questions of yourself if you already know the answers. Once again she confuses the men and Gable replies, “All that talk of questions sounds like those scholars. You should ask them a few questions.”

Kaelyn asks the men if they ever talk to the scholars.

“Nah, but a few of their soldiers come in once in a while. Let me think, there is Einar, but he never asks questions, he just visits the Goodwife Klaken.” Waarn pauses, “She’s a widow and gets bit lonely from time to time. There is also Cees and Jeeloff. They be soldiers too.”

Kaelyn looks puzzled and asks ‘the scholars have soldiers?’ She gets a reply of yes, and since it seems that is all the answer she is going to get she continues with describing the rest of the party. She describes Baris and Imarë and makes a point to tell the group that they enjoy their ale. Before she can continue Gable asks Waarn, “Do you have anything to eat in this place?”

“I have a bit of bacon,” Henery answers. “I did drop it in the dirt,” he admits plainly.

“That’s fine, I’ll just chew so as me teeth don’t quite meet, and I won’t feel the sandiness at all.”

After that exchange, which Kaelyn hopes she didn’t noticeably cringe, she continues with her description of Cekiya. While stressing that she is a little touched and shouldn’t be touched, she realizes that there is no rational explanation for Cekiya. One of the men speaks up that he say a little slip of a waif that he’d never seen before sleeping on a fresh grave as he was walking over here. Kaelyn, lost for a reply, merely continues with a fabricated story that Cekiya is a ward of Sir Ewen. The good knight took pity on her and has taken her under his wing.

“A heart of gold our new lord has, a heart of gold.” Jan says with a sigh, “Is he a bit of a pansy?”

“Oh no, wait, do mean like Sir Catham?” Kaelyn says. A moment later her brain catches up with her mouth as she sees the startled look on the men’s faces. As she frantically tries to back track her previous statement, by asking who they meant?

Henery quietly mentions, “They say that up in the manorhouse the captain and lieutenant up there have two beds but only use one.”

Waarn leans back, as if thinking. “Ye know, now that ye mention it, when Sir Catham was a lad, he and that captain were awful close ...”

The entire common room grows quiet as each man thinks back, all of the puzzle pieces coming together.

After finishing her ale, Kaelyn excuses herself to go and spends the rest of the day with her books, who don’t ask questions.

Towards late afternoon Baris, Imarë and Sir Sedris return, successful in their hunt. Although Sir Sedris remarks that the hunting is better at Selepan. At this mention of the third manor, Ewen expresses interest in heading there. Sir Grogan tells Ewen that if he is ready, he should go the next day, as winter is fast approaching. Sir Grogan does warn Ewen that it is on the smaller side and that if Ewen’s entire party is to go, they should stay at the inn there.

Savor 29, 731

The early morning greets the party with a little fog on an otherwise nice day.

Sir Grogan offers a bit of insight to Ewen that Sir Herrill is a bit of a broody kind of guy. His wife died not long ago and it is still affecting him. After they mount their horse they make their short trip to Selepan. As Sir Herrill was not apprised of their coming, they choose to stop at an inn where they can send word to the house. Entering by way of the southern road pass a peasant who bows acknowledging their higher station. Ewen pauses before the man “My good man tell us where the inn is located.” As the peasant awkwardly tugs at his forelock, he responds that it is at the second gate to the right and to ask for Master Bran of Eeko at the Red Buck.

As we ride further on into the center we pass the manor house which sits upon a small hill and soon see the sign with a red buck lodged. Turning our horses into the lane an ostler approaches “Storz, take these horses to be stabled.” A instant look of awe strikes the young face of the apprentice as he sees Iblis, almost forgetting himself, “She is a true beauty, I don’t often see Khanset mares. I will take good care of her.“

Ewen, leading the party into the inn looks about seeing 5 round tables, one closer to an inviting fireplace. An elderly woman shuffles up peering intently at Sir Ewen and says “Hodril!” Ewen startled by this is quickly rescued by a younger man who places a caring arm about the women and leads her away saying, “No mother” and turning to Ewen, “My apologies, she longs for the old days. I am Bran of Eeko.”

“I am Sir Ewen of Ravinargh.”

Eeko recognizing the name, bows and thanks him for gracing him and his.”

Eeko seats the party near the fireplace, “I will bring you our special plum brandy to warm you.”

Ewen, “Thank you, we intend to stay here at the inn for at least for the evening but would you mind sending word to the manor announcing our arrival?”

“Of course.” Eeko replies “would you like me to send the wench now?

“Yes I think it best to give Sir Herrill as much notice as we can for his convenience.”

“Of course, also our special for tonight is roast of pork, the locals call it ham.”

Bran’s mother comes over with rag in hand trying to be helpful. A serving maid intervenes, “Thanys, these people do not need your assistance,” leading her away. The party seeing her more closely see the remnants of beauty she once was on her aged face.

The party enjoys the fine meal of ham and brandy. As they look about they see the inn has many more patrons. It is apparent that word has spread to the locals and they come to get a peak of their new lord.

A man approaches Bran they have a whispered conversation in which Bran nods and points his chin in Ewen’s direction. Looking a touch resigned, the man makes his way to the table, “My lord I am the reeve, Wasub of Eggrog.”

Ewen rises, “Thank you for coming so soon.”

“Not a problem, sir. Have you had the chance to call upon Sir Herrill?

“No, anything I should know about?”

“No, it is not my place to speak for my lord.”

Ewen takes note of Wasub’s response and smiles as if confirming the man’s loyalty to Sir Herrill. Ewen continues, “From what I have seen of the village it appears to be quite orderly.”

“Yes it is. Thank you.” Wasub turns to an older man who had come up to the table during this conversation, “May I introduce my father, Hubas of Eggrog, beadle of this village.”

Ewen nods to the beadle and introduces himself and the rest of the party.

“Are you a swimmer, milord?” Hasub asks, throwing Ewen slightly off guard, “There is a lake up the hill that makes for great swimming and diving.”

“Alas, I am not a swimmer, but the young Kaelyn here is.” Ewen says finding his footing and throwing Kaelyn into the spotlight.

“Well then, she can come swimming and diving with me and my granddaughters,” Hasub says with a wink. Kaelyn responds that she would be honored to do so.

Ewen taking the focus off of the bewildered Kaelyn thanks Hasub for extending the invitation to him and the members of his retinue.

Hasub smiles at Ewen’s response and then looks at Wasub, “My son here, the reeve, is the best thing I ever did.” After that comment the Eggrogs excuse themselves and find a seat at one of the rectangular tables in the room. A few minutes more of conversation buzzes around the room when a smiling man comes in and greets the room with a “Hail Fellows, well met!” Habus looks up and greats the man with a broad smile, “Tilk! How are you?” Wasub also greets the man by merely saying ‘Tilk’ in a not very enthusiastic tone of voice.

The man, Tilk, waves to the father and son, before continuing on, “Bran! Bring me some of that fantastic ale of yours! And where is your charming mother?”

Bran’s mother appears, as if on cue, and Tilk gives her a hug and kiss saying, “Thanys, beautiful as ever.” With one arm still around the old woman he turns back to Bran, “What’s the special tonight, roast …?”

“Ham,” Bran responds as he takes his mother’s arm and once again leads her away. Tilk smiles and takes a seat.

Soon afterward another peasant enters the room. He stops and pauses just inside the doorway, “Hello.”

“Amab!” the room responds together. The man Amab, evidently well known and liked, takes a seat near the father and son Eggrog.

“I’d like to say what a wonderful day it has been. I believe that this is the best ever,” Amab says in voice pitched so the entire common room can hear.

Baris, taking the bait, asks, “What makes this the best day ever?”

“Well stranger, I will tell you. I had an incredible day, my wife managed to get another commission from the manor to do some intricate sewing. We are going to be paid quite well for her work. So you know I am here at the end of the month to spend the money.” At no point does Amab look anyone in the eye, but rather speaks to one side, or the other.

The reeve looks at the man, an amused expression on his face, “Oh Amab, you are always working the angle.”

As the room laughs with Amab, and the general atmosphere of the inn being one of comfort and joviality, the door slams open. A man whose face is heavily lined with care limps in. He takes in the room in a glance with his gaze stopping momentarily at each table. All the peasants, who moments ago were laughing and enjoying the end of their work day, shrink back under his stare. Bran stops his filling of orders of ales for a moment and takes a step back as well. The man’s glare comes to rest at the table where Ewen and the others sit.

“I am Sir Herrill Lavalgan.”

Ewen rises at this announcement and says “I am Sir Ewen of Ravinargh.”

“Sir Ewen, my lord.” Sir Herril says with a slight bow.

“I am pleased to meet you Sir Herrill.”

“Thank you, I wish you would have told me that you were coming today.”

“I am wintering in Inbernel and had thought to come here before the snow begins to fall,” Ewen says, trying his best to remain calm and keep the peace with this man.

“Of course, my apologies, welcome to Selepan, you have my allegiance,” Sir Herrill says. The peasants are beginning to sneak glances at the two knights having the conversation. The others in the party can see looks of ‘oh, shit, why now?’ written upon their faces in varying degrees.

Ewen, patience wearing thin responds curtly, “Thank you. I am sure you are a busy man, and I do not wish to make any more demands upon you than need be.”

“Of course, and not in such a place. May I invite you to dine tomorrow night?” As he offers the invitation his voice stutters a bit, either from the rapidly cooling look of Ewen’s that is upon him or the realization that he is confronting his new lord in the very public common room of the village’s only inn.

“That would please me to do so.”

“Will you be staying here for a while?”

“No, a day or so at most. I have heard that the hunting is rather good here.”

“Yes, I suppose it is.”

“Sir Baris,” Ewen indicating Sir Baris, who nods, “and I had thought to do some hunting while we were here. Is that an issue for you?”

“No, not at all. You are free to hunt in my woods”

“Very well,” Ewen replies evenly, “We will dine tomorrow evening after we finish with our hunt.”

Herrill nods, agreeing, and bids Ewen a good night, then departs.

Even after Herrill leaves, the peasants, still feeling awkward, are much subdued and a few shuffle out the door early. Ewen sees this and suggests to Baris that they should retire as well, as not to completely drive off Bran’s clientele. Ewen and Baris make their way to Bran across the room. As Ewen tells Bran that he and Sir Baris wish to retire for the night, and would he be so kind as to show them their rooms, Ewen seemingly on accident brushes his hand against Bran’s shoulder so that Ewen might get a read on Bran’s thoughts. As Ewen makes contact he finds a hint of shields. Keeping the surprise off of his face, Ewen quickly glances at Bran to see if the good innkeeper had noticed. Bran’s face and behavior give no indication that he noticed the slight touch of Deryni power as he shows Ewen and Baris up the stairs to their appointed rooms.

At the top of the stairs Bran explains that they have just two rooms, being such a small village. The first is a chamber with a double bed, that Bran indicates that Ewen would feel most comfortable in this one. The second is directly across the hall and hold five bunk beds. Bran tells Ewen that there he and his party are welcome to both rooms as there are no other guests staying in the Inn, and that they will work out compensation for the rooms at a later time.

Back in the common room, Cekiya, finished with her brandy, looks around for a serving girl. Cekiya, once she had gotten the girl’s attention, tells the her, “I’d like a Bloody Mary.” The serving girl looks very confused, “I don’t know what that is. We have ale or our Plum Brandy.”

“It is a red drink…red, like blood. That is why it is called a Bloody Mary. I don’t know who Mary was.” Cekiya tells the girl, sure the serving girl could find something that would work. The girl simply nods and walks away with perplexed look on her face.

Bran comes back down the stairs after showing Ewen and Baris to their rooms. Imarë manages to get his attention and motions him to come over to their table. She suggests to Bran that perhaps a round for the common room will light spirits a bit and offers to buy it for those patrons still remaining.

As Bran fills the order, another man arrives. He appears to be a very average looking herder and as he steps into the common room, it becomes apparent that he is also a very flatulent herder. The ladies did not hear anything, but as a stench fills the room and a few of the peasants exclaim “Oh Dorf!” it becomes clear who and what the problem is. Dorf hangs his head sheepishly and apologizes. He moves to the bar to grab an ale that Bran has waiting for him, but along the way trips over his feet and this time the ladies do hear a rather disgusting noise. After grabbing his ale, he moves to join the beadle and the reeve. Imarë listens in on their conversation, but it is nothing more than a discussion of this year’s harvest. It seems like the typical farmers complaint; the harvest was good, but not good enough to be called great by the farmers themselves.

The ladies finish their ales, Cekiya disappointed in the serving girl for not making a Bloody Mary, and then retire for the night.

Savor 30, 731

The sun has not quite risen when Hubas comes to the Inn looking for Kaelyn. He and his granddaughters are going swimming, so he has come to collect Kaelyn. As Kaelyn mutters to herself about it being nearly winter and not quite dawn, Cekiya decides that this is probably going to be the most interesting thing happening today and decides to come along. Kaelyn is a bit shocked at this, but Cekiya is determined to go.

Downstairs Hubas introduces his granddaughters, telling Kaelyn and Cekiya that they are twins. Kaelyn would guess that the girls are either 16 or 17 years old, and while both are lovely, one looks like her dad and the other does not.

The five of them set out, moving along a path, passing hedge after hedge until they reach the woods. Hubas explains that the lake is up in the woods as they continue along a path. At one point the trail forks and Hubas leads the girls along the left path. They travel up and around near the apex of a cliff. Kaelyn looks over the edge and sees a 50-60 foot drop.

Hubas takes a deep breath and exclaims ‘this is it!’ as he strips to nothing and runs towards the cliff and dives off. One of the granddaughters tells Kaelyn that she is next.

Kaelyn a little in shock, asks the granddaughter “You both really do this?”

“Yes. Mom says that is our job to make sure he doesn’t hurt himself. It’s a hard job.”

Kaelyn glances at Ceykia, shrugs and strips down to her shift and jumps. The water is cold, really cold, and takes away her breath for a brief period of time. Kaelyn watches one of the granddaughters jump into the icy lake. Kaelyn decides that it really wasn’t so bad, and she is going to jump again. This time she is prepared and makes a perfect dive, much to the delight of Hubas.

Cekiya, having watched her traveling companion and these country fools, jump time after time, decides she wants to try. Cekiya strips naked and jumps. As Cekiya is jumping, Kaelyn, watching from below begins to wonder if Cekiya can even swim. A few moments later, Kaelyn’s question is answered as Cekiya is not coming up for air. A few short strokes brings Kaelyn to where Cekiya hit the water, and soon the scholar has the adder on dry land. After a few tense moments and Kaelyn begins to wonder if Ewen would be angry if she let Cekiya drown, Cekiya begins to cough out water. Kaelyn slaps Cekiya on the back a few times. Cekiya looks at Kaelyn after a few breaths and declares that ‘this touching ok.’ Hubas and his granddaughters jump a few more times, but Kaelyn and Cekiya sit out. They all return to the village about mid-afternoon.

After an early breakfast, Ewen, Baris and Imarë go up to the manor before they go hunting. As they approach the manor they see a wooden palisade with a watch tower to the left and three outbuildings. The outbuildings appear to be the stable and barn, a workshop, and a privy. The manor itself is made out of stone on the lower main level and wattle and daub on the upper attic. Sir Herrill shows the trio around the grounds but does not appear to be very happy about it. He tries to hide is annoyance, but he cannot hid the fact he thinks that Ewen is an imposition. Ewen questions Herrill about how long he has been lord of Selepan manor. Herrill responds that it has been about 10 years or so since his father’s death and that is when he inherited the title.

Inside the manor is divided into three parts. In the center there is the great hall and kitchen. To the right are two chambers sectioned off by curtains. To the left is another larger chamber that is Sir Herrill’s. Herrill shows the party his chambers for the purpose of showing them his infant son. The child is approximately 18 months old, as he is walking, and is in the care of a nursemaid when the party walks in. Baris notices that the nursemaid is quite attractive and buxom. Herrill introduces Ewen to the child, naming him Pasric, and to the nursemaid Trolice. Ewen offers his condolences on the loss of his wife, and when pressed Herrill tells them that she was lost in childbirth.

“It must be of some consolation that you have a fine looking son,” Ewen says. Herrill nods, and walks with the party back into the great hall. Ewen asks Herrill about his limp, thinking that in battle Herrill could be a liability. Herrill hems and haws around Ewen’s questions.

“Do you ride Sir Herrill,” Ewen asks, seemingly changing the topic.

“Of course,” Sir Herrill replies leading the party towards the door.

Imarë leans in and whispers in Ewen’s ear “Shake his hand and read him like a book.”

Ewen chokes on hearing this, and does not say anything more on the matter for the moment. Ewen thanks Herrill for his time this morning and says he looks forward to dining with him tonight.

The rest of the day is spent in the hunt. Ewen and Baris see only signs of moles here and there. Imarë had seen a deer but had missed her shot.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle