Session Seventy-Five - June 12, 2010

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Seventy-Five - June 12, 2010

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Nuzyael 24, 732

As the Earl of Vemion stands, hands clenched as if he was waiting for any excuse Sir Ewen might give him to use them, Ewen takes a quick glance around the room. He sees it is a large L shaped chamber. To the left is a council table with the Earl, two guards and a knight standing nearby. The right Ewen sees Lady Elena Valador tending a wounded Sir Rollard. Sir Rollard appears to be wounded in the chest on his left side near where his heart should be. There are two more guards to right side of the room. Ewen knows that behind him are Sir Morgal and four more guards. Ewen looks the Earl right in the eyes and calmly replies “Th’oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely, the pangs of despised love, the law’s delay … I have no idea. How long has she been missing?”

The Earl appears slightly taken back at the smooth tongue and most unexpected reply of Ewen, “Three or four hours, as you well know.”

“As I know? May I know the reasons that have lead to my arrest?”

“Certainly, Sir Rollard?” The Earl looks in the direction of the wounded knight as if to assure himself the man has not passed out due to his wounds.

“Mah lord,” Sir Rollard replies, before launching into his story. “As you know, the Lady Thilisa prefers to hunt with a small party as it reduces the possibility of scarin’ the game. This verah mornin’, along with a suhvant and Shrum the Falcahner, we went out. The Lady and Ah were mounted and the commonahs wuh on the ground. The hunt was not long old when we wuh most despicahbly ambushed by a party of some numbah led by Suh Ewen. Out of nowhere an arrow killed the suhvant before Ah even learnt his name. Shrum was out retrievin’ a bird and before Ah could act an arrow struck mah shoulder and mah horse bolted.” Rollard pauses to take a breath and sit up a little straighter. Sir Ewen attempts to truth read the knight, but has no strong feelings either way. Rollard continues, “As that happened Ah heard the voice of Suh Baris yell out ‘Ah shall deal with the falcahner Suh Ewen!’ At which point Ah fell off the panicked horse and blacked out. When Ah came to sometime latuh there was no one about, save the dead suhvant and Shrum who was cut down with a sword. Ah made mah way back to the castle where Ah told this story and have told you and will tell all gain until mah lady is safe brought home.”

“You lie!” Sir Baris exclaims, finding his voice at last.

“Ah swear by Almighty God that is the truth.”

The Earl motions for quiet and looks at Sir Ewen, “Well, Sir Ewen what do you have to say?”

“You have a false witness. I was at the Green Dragon inn all this morning. I find that it is an odd occupation, that of a highwayman, that I am being credited for.”

“You would not like what Ah credit you with,” Rollard replies.

“Did anyone see you this morning?” The Earl continues with his questioning ignoring the byplay between Ewen and Sir Rollard.

“My personal retinue and that of the inn. I am afraid I did not leave my room this morning until the innkeeper informed me I was wanted in the common room by your men.”

“What coluh is your horse?” Sir Rollard says.

“My mare is hard to miss Sir Rollard.”

“What coluh is your horse?” Sir Rollard repeats, teeth clenching.

“She is a black khanset.”

“There was a black horse with a man riding it!” Sir Rollard triumphantly smiles.

Baris rolls his eyes, “There are many black horses. Did you actually see Ewen’s face?”

“No, the men wore three quartuh helms.”

“Has it not occurred to you that the men were imposters?”

“It occurred to me but Ah dismissed the thought. Ah know what Ah heard.”

“Fine, if we did it, then why would we return to the inn or for that matter not made sure you were dead?” Baris continues.

“Ah do not know.”

“We ‘returned’ to the Inn, because we never left the Inn.” Ewen says giving Sir Rollard a calm measured look.

The Earl of Vemion looks at the knights, somewhat less sure of their guilt than when they entered the room. He nods to Sir Morgal, “Take two men and question the staff at the inn.”

“Question the Ostler as well, if my horse was involved he would know.” Sir Ewen says giving the Earl a small head nod.

“The Ostler as well,” the Earl agrees. “I must detain you until my men came bring back proof that you are innocent. Sir Kobar,” The Earl gestures to the knight that was near him on the left side of the room, “Take four guards and lock them up.”

Ewen and Baris willingly follow the guards, although Baris is muttering under his breath. Having seen this play before and not thought much of it.

The guards lead the knights down a level to a balcony overlooking the great hall. The walk out to ramparts on the far south-west tower, across the roof of the southwest tower curtain wall to the west rampart, over the roof to the northwest tower, There is a spiral staircase leading down to the second floor into the barracks. In the northwest corner there is an opening in the floor with a ladder leading down into the jail. Baris gives an involuntary shudder when he sees the rack. On the southern wall there is a cell. The guards motion Baris and Ewen in and after locking the door, depart.

Ewen finds a comfortable seat and begins to trance. After a while he tries to clairvoy Thilisa, but fails. Baris paces. He does note that the dungeon is clean at least.

After some time passes, Sir Kobar and the guards return. “Sir Ewen?” Sir Kobar says, as if trying to ascertain if Ewen was asleep or not. He continues as Ewen opens his eyes to look at the knight, “His lordship is fairly convinced you are not to blame for his daughter’s disappearance.”

“I am not surprised.” Ewen says, standing.

“It was the testimony of the Ostler that tipped the balance.” Sir Kobar then leads the knights back to the great hall.

The Earl is standing at the council table and looks over when Ewen and Baris walk in. “I do not apologize. I followed the leads.”

“Any father would,” Ewen replies.

“Someone has gone to some trouble but not a lot of trouble as I read this situation, to make you appear that you kidnapped my daughter. Sir Rollard told me that he told you publically in the Green Dragon that you were no longer a candidate for my daughter’s hand. I was unaware you were a candidate, but we’ll let that pass. It seems to me that might have been the moment where Rollard let the cat out of the bag. One thing confuses me, if you were out of the running, why frame you and not the others?”

“As you say my lord, I was out of the running. That made me a plausible candidate to do something desperate in their eyes.”

“But it does not advance the candidacy of any of the others. Do you have any enemies?”

“My adventures in Kaldor have attracted some attention. I am unsure of real enemies, but I am aware that someone has not my best interest at heart. I am sure you have heard of the play that was conducted in the shadow of your lordship’s castle. It plays loosely with last year’s tournament.”

The Earl of Vemion looks confused, “Play?”

“An acting troupe conducted a play meant to portray my role in the demise of your lordship’s son. A trivial thing to be worried about, but if you are correct in the assumption that this was done by someone who wishes me ill …”

“It does seem a minor matter, but I don’t like it,” The Earl motions to Sir Kobar, who does not seem surprised at the news of the play being performed, “Find the truth of this play, and then have the troupe flogged and then flogged out of town.”

“If it it’s not presumptuous of me, perhaps have them questioned as to the patron of the play?” Ewen says.

The Earl gives Ewen a look as if to say, of course that will be done, before continuing on. “Now what about this assailant in the night?”

“Yes, I sent a letter to Sir Rollard explaining what happened.”

“Yes, I know. I have seen the letter. You do have some enemies. Perhaps one of them has my daughter. Give me a list.”

“I shall give this matter some intense thought. If I knew who, then I would have called them out already. It is just a matter of guess work, but I will do as you say. I hate to do anyone a disservice …” Ewen trails off as he notices the Earl looking rather impatient.

“No need to worry about that. I will soothe any ruffled feathers and hurt feelings later.”

Baris speaks up after thinking and looking at the maps on the table, “My lord, your lands I am sure you know well. Are there any areas nearby that these brigands could hide?”

“Hundreds,” the Earl says with a wave of his hand. He then takes the list Ewen has finished writing. “Bishop Ilor Hadan, Viktam Arwat, Denyl Arwat,” The Earl turns to the old man at the table, “Gorlin, who are these Arwats?”

Gorlin thinks for a moment, “I believe that they hold a manor from the Baron of Ternua.”

“That doesn’t seem that likely to me. The risk is too great for them to involve me in a grudge against Sir Ewen. It must be someone here in Minarsas.”

“Possibly my lord. Sir Rollard told me that I was not to be the one suitor for Thilisa; perhaps someone else heard the news and decided that neither were they. So in the desperation that they hoped to pin on me, they acted.”

“Perhaps,” the Earl says with eyes narrowing as his mind begins to readjust to this new possibility.

Sir Baris speaks up, “I believe you said that the Baron of Kolorn, his son Sir Lyndar, and Sirs Eadril and Anzarn were at the table with you when Sir Rollard stopped by.”

“Well Sirs Anzarn and Eadril are suitors,” the Earl says after hearing this list.

“I had only just been introduced to Sir Anzarn when I sat down, and had met and spoken to both Sir Lyndar and Sir Eadril the previous day. They were completely cordial to me on both occasions.”

“No, not either of them and Sir Lyndar is heir to the barony of Kolorn and we have the best of relations.”

“It is hard to believe someone of station were to conduct either the midnight attack on Sir Ewen or the cowardly abduction of Lady Thilisa. It must be someone of a lower class,” Sir Baris says.

“Well someone does wish me ill. I gave the description to my retinue and one had seen someone matching that description meeting with a local physician and then again leaving town sometime later. I had not the time to look into the matter further; perhaps I shall go and speak with the physician to see if we can at least garner a name.”

“Yes, we have exhausted your enemies list. I shall have my own men scour known locations for hiding spots while you follow up with the physician.”

“Of course,” Ewen pauses slightly, “Thilisa’s safety is of great importance to me, if it is not to presumptuous of me to say so.”

“It is, but I shall let it pass,” the Earl says, showing the first sign of amusement at Ewen’s silver tongue. Ewen bows and promises to send word later this afternoon.

Baris and Ewen return to the Green Dragon and bring the rest of the party up to speed. A quick plan is made to split up with Ewen and Baris going to find the physician and Cekiya and Imarë to search the abduction site.

Before leaving to find the physician, Baris attempts to question the maids as to the whereabouts of the younger Curo. The maids are defensive at first but Baris finally comes up with a lie to satisfy their Curosity as to why Baris wants to know. He is told that Toren Curo has been quite ill these last few days and has not left his rooms.

Ewen and Baris have no difficulty finding the physician Arnys told them about, as the physician is the only one in town. His name is Barint, but his nickname is thumbs. His establishment is near the river by the dock. As the two knights arrive there they see an old crone leaving with a slightly overweight man slapping her on the back, telling her to keep using the ointment.

Ewen asks the man if he is Barint the physician, and the man answers in the affirmative. After asking if they can ask him a few questions the man leads the knights inside. In the room there are various medical instruments around along with jars and boxes on the shelves.

“What seems to be troubling you gentlemen?” Barint asks.

“We understand a man came to you for some assistance yesterday.” Baris says.

“A man? Yesterday? Is there nothing wrong with you?”

“I know you are busy and we won’t take much of your time,” Ewen says and introduces himself and Baris.

“I understand, but to use my skills for the betterment of such august men as yourselves would have been an honor.”

Ewen allows a small smile to touch his lips, “We understand that a man sought custom here; medium height, blond hair, beard. He had sustained an injury trying to kill me.”

“There was such a man yesterday, but he was not injured. Hard to believe he was an assassin as he is a physician like me. I told him that there was no more demand here, perhaps in Zoben or somewhere similar down the road.”

“Did he buy any of your medicine? How was he dressed?” Baris asks, not quite convinced of Barint’s story.

“His clothing was a might shabby, but he just might not be the best of physicians.”

“You were satisfied that he was a trained physician and a member of the guild after talking to him?” Ewen asks, “Did he take your advice and move on?”

“Yes to your first question and I think so to your second.”

“Did anyone at all come by with any injuries?” Ewen asks.

“No, just the usual complaints.”

“Did anyone buy any medicine? Servants sent from the nobles, anything at all?” Baris asks, hoping to get an answer.

“No, no one has bought anything. It’s a shame, but we do have an apothecary and herbalist in town too.”

“Did your colleague ask if anyone as sought your services recently in the very early morning?” Ewen asks.

“No, not specifically. Just about day to day traffic and not like I got an emergency call at three am.”

“Did you happen to notice what direction he was headed in when he left you?”

“I believe he was headed to the bridge.”

“I am staying at the Green Dragon Inn. If you see him again, send a message if you would,” Ewen says, handing Barint two shillings. “Before we go – I only saw the assailant at night. If they are one and the same or two different men, might be cleared up if you could give me a better description of the man who came to your door.”

“I say he was of average height about 5’8” with a medium build, prominent nose, longish blonde hair, with hazel eyes, and a neat beard.”

Ewen and Baris thank Barint again for his time and depart.

Meanwhile Cekiya and Imarë head to the site where Sir Rollard said he was attacked. They head north along the road along the eastern edge of the western field. Imarë looks around and finds nothing on her first pass. On her second look she picks up some hoof prints. Two discrete horses. The ladies follow the tracks and come to a spot where other tracks merge with the two sets they are following. They lose the two and find a set of four horses moving at a faster speed. As they follow the new set of tracks Imarë sees traces of the original set. At one point the tracks diverge. The larger group going slightly northeast while the set of two continues straight ahead. The ladies follow the original set of two and come to a large clearing. They find the spot where the servant must have died and search a bit farther up to find where the ambush must have come from. After a few moments, Imarë thinks she found where the two or three archers hid. She finds what she thinks are the hoof prints of the horse of the Baris-wanna-be. She follows those and finds where Shrum was killed. She returns to the clearing with Cekiya on her heels. After a bit of search to find where Thilisa was taken, Imarë finds a place where the tracks are slightly confused. There is a trail with a number of horse prints heading to the south with a lot of footprints mixed in. Imarë thinks this is where the Earl’s men arrived and removed the bodies of the servant and Shrum.

Back at the Green Dragon Ewen and Baris learn from Filen that the flogging of the acting troupe will be held as the opening act of the archery contest around noon. The entire troupe has been imprisoned in the castle and Bors is being interrogated. With that bit of knowledge and the lack of information from the physician, Ewen and Baris head across the river to the Cask and Flagon. They hope to learn more of the blonde assailant and perhaps of the trio Arnys spoke of earlier.

It is about six in the evening when the two arrive. They notice that the stables appear to be deserted, with neither ostler nor horse in sight. The inn itself is two stories. They enter the inn from the Zoben road into a smaller common room that takes up about half of the right side of the building. There is a staircase in the common room that leads up to the second floor. The common room appears to be overly busy with it being standing room only inside. The knights see Arnys give a small start of recognition as they enter, but he appears to cover it by taking a large swig of ale. The knights head to the bar where a serving girl sloshes two ales towards them. Baris pays a pence for both of them. The innkeeper comes around the bar and asks the knights ‘you gentlemen just arrived?’

“We are staying across the river, but are trying to catch up with someone,” Ewen says, giving the description of the unknown assailant.

“I beg your pardon Sir…”

“Ewen of Ravinargh.”

“Why are you asking?” The innkeeper continues smoothly.

“We are assisting the Earl on some of his business.”

“Nope, haven’t seen anyone matching that description. Hey Pie, give these men something on the house.”

With no more information coming from the innkeeper, Ewen and Baris finish their ales and go to leave. As they are exiting the common room, a very tiny Peonian priestess walks in. She stands back and says ‘after you good sirs.’

Ewen begins to nod and walk by, pausing as if struck by a stray thought, “Don’t I know you from somewhere?”

“No, sir, I don’t think so.”

“No, I think I saw you in Whyce,” Ewen says as he begins to truth read the girl.

“Yes, I have been to Whyce, but I do not know you.”

“We have some questions for you, why don’t you come with us,” says Baris, tired of being political and correct all day.

“That is not a good idea,” she says as she tries to push past them into the common room.

“I think not,” Baris says and grabs her arm forgetting that he was still in view of the common room. Conversation behind him begins to stop as the patrons notice the large knight grab the small Peonian priestess. He hears someone bellow behind him ‘Hey what’s going on?’

“Please sir, I just wish to go in.”

Baris unhands her, but still blocks her way. Baris glances over at Ewen as if to ask if they should mention they are on the Earl’s business. Baris hears someone ask again ‘What’s going on there?’

Ewen hears a crowd beginning to form behind him and tries to implant the idea in the priestess’ head that she will come with them willingly but he fails. He shakes his head at Baris and says ‘Never mind.’ Ewen moves to the side to let the priestess pass. ‘No offense intended. Our apologies.’

Baris moves out into the night, frustrated by the lack of action. On a whim decides to investigate the stables and finds that their first impression of them being deserted was accurate. It appears that there have been no animals stabled there for a very long time.

Cekiya and Imarë by this time are heading west towards the river from the ambush site. Imarë slowly searches the area in that direction but finds nothing. She also scans the area from the ambush site in a wide circle, but finds nothing that can lead her in any direction. The ladies follow the footpath back to the south back to Minarsas and the Green Dragon.

The party reconvenes briefly and pools their information. Baris and Ewen head back to the castle to brief the Earl around seven. As they leave the Green Dragon, Sir Prehil and Sir Anzarn greet them and invite the knights to come have a drink. Ewen and Baris decline and make their way to the castle.

Once back at the great hall, sans weapons, they notice that the Earl of Vemion has what appears to be his own base camp set up.

Ewen informs the Earl that they had no luck tracking down Ewen’s assailant. They visited Barint and he informed them that the man matching their description claimed to be a physician but did not give his name.

“Really, a physician. If you forgive him do you think we could convince him to stay?” The Earl says, obviously aware of Barint’s reputation.

“Barint said the fellow wanted to open a practice, but he convinced the stranger to move on toward Zoben. The last Barint saw of the man, he was headed over the bridge.

“We followed up at the Cask and Flagon on the chance the man stopped there on his way out of town. We spoke to the innkeeper but he said that no one of that description had stopped,” Ewen pauses, “This may be of no importance, but I think that everything should be laid on the table. While we were leaving we ran into someone we saw in Whyce.”

“There is a Laranian chapter house in Whyce,” the Earl says, thinking the connection has been made.

“Yes, but this was a Peonian priestess. We tried to speak with her but she pointedly avoided me and all of our questions. While in Whyce one of my compatriots overheard her and her companions speaking of whether to go to Gardiren or Tashal for the winter. I had thought it odd that she is now here.”

“You thought to yourself that this is neither Gardiren nor Tashal,” the Earl says, following along.

“Yes, that is it exactly,” Ewen smiles. “My lord, I should also say that one of my party is more than adept at tracking. I regret to inform you that no clear tracks were found leading away from the ambush site, even though the area was thoroughly searched for all of the afternoon.”

“That is unfortunate. If we could follow tracks that would be most helpful.”

“How are things here, my lord?” Baris asks, taking in the maps and men in the room.

“Thilisa is still missing. As for other things; the actor Bors made an accusation which I won’t repeat until I can speak to the knight in question. I also understand that you made your own attempt at silencing the play and finding out more.”

“I did try,” Ewen simply says.

“At a graveyard in the dead of night. Nice touch,” the Earl added wryly.

Ewen smiles briefly. “He admitted he had a patron, but that is all I got from him.”

“He did not reveal his patron to you,” the Earl says and has a look on his face that he is mentally checking something off a mental list, “What, then, is your next move?”

“We are at your service,” Baris says with a small nod.

“I was pondering if perhaps runners could be sent to nearby communities to see if anyone has seen anything,” Ewen adds.

“Yes, of course. I have sent riders in all four directions with two additional riders to the handful of nearby manors to the east for news and assistance. The riders are in two man teams and are well mounted.”

“Nearby strategies?”

“Sir Morgal and some rangers are combing the immediate area. Nothing yet, but I am hoping for outside perspective.”

“I will continue to make up most use of my people to assist your lordship. If there is anything specific that we can do, we shall. This is the most important thing. I fear Thilisa is in danger.”

A tired look crosses the Earl’s face. “A whole day has gone by with no word. No ransom, or word what to do. If fear there are only two possibilities; kidnapped and forced to marriage or…I can scarcely speak the words…they mean to do her harm.”

“Surely the priest who would marry Thilisa to the brigand would be a great fool.”

“I’d hang him but the marriage would stand. Do you have anything else?”

“I am afraid not.”

“Then go Sir Ewen, go Sir Baris, find my daughter if you can.”

Back at the Green Dragon in the rooms occupied by the party, they make plans as best they can. Kaelyn decides that she is tired of sitting in the inn all day and goes out to the river to attempt to summon a water sprite. She hopes that she can summon one intelligent enough and willing to tell her if someone matching Thilisa’s description was near or on the water that day. Cekiya goes with her.

While they are gone, Ewen trances and begins to clairvoy the priestess. He picks up the image of a crowded room. The room has a wood interior and there is a meat pie or pastry in front of his ‘target.’ There is a man with a beard sitting next to ‘target’ and a baby-faced man sitting opposite. The image quickly fades out. Filen comes in briefly and is asked if anyone has left the area suddenly, but he has not heard of anyone leaving at all. Imarë decides that she will go talk to the Ostlers around to see who else has a black horse and if anyone was out riding today. Ewen and Baris decide to head to the common room for a drink and perhaps some gossip.

Imarë starts with the Ostler at the Green Dragon, Herras.

“Ostler?”

“Yes Lady?”

“You were earlier asked if Sir Ewen’s horse was let out today.”

“Yes, the khanset.”

“Has any other group of horses left today?”

“So many horses were out today.”

“This morning, early, in a group, if that help narrow things down.”

“Sir Prehil called for his horse and Sir Lyndar and Sir Eadril went for a ride, and his lordship the Baron and Sir Gorbar…”

“Any in a small number group?”

“I couldn’t say. I have been saddling and unsaddling all day.”

“Has everyone come back?”

“All the horses are accounted for,” Herras goes over to Iblis and strokes her neck. “She is very happy.”

Imarë allows a small smile to play on her lips as she glances around. She sees that out of the 14 horses there are two other black horses stabled. “Did anyone take a black horse out riding today?”

“There must have been. Some of were brought over from Mule Harabor. Iblis here and that horse were not out. This one here is Sir Prehil’s horse.”

Imarë looks over Sir Prehil’s horse, and sees that it is not the standard riding palfrey. He is a gelding, continental thoroughbred. Realizing the late hour and that most of the Ostlers will not be on duty, Imarë heads back upstairs to the rooms.

As Ewen and Baris head to the common room the Baron of Kolorn is going up. ‘Out of my way!’ Baris and Ewen step to the side to let the man pass. He laughs and says ‘ As you should, hedge knight,’ as he continues up the stairs. Baris mutters, ‘Enjoy your small room.’ The Baron stomps up the stairs with the retort that ‘It’s big enough.’

In the common room Sir Lyndar had joined Sir Eadril and Sir Prehil at the large table Ewen and Baris saw them at earlier. The three knights all appear to be well into their cups. There is food evident around the table.
Sir Prehil looks up at the two knights as they walk over. “Sir Ewen and Sir Baris, join us. We don’t have nearly enough drunken knights at this table.” Ewen and Baris agree and sit down. Prehil continues, “I should say since we are waaaaaay ahead of you, so need to drink two for every one of ours.” Prehil laughs and motions at the serving girl “You! Hey you! Saucy one! We need four pints. You can carry two in each hand right?”

The serving maid comes back and places two ales each in front of Baris and Ewen. Baris notices that Sir Eadril looks distinctly woozy. Sir Lyndar leans in to Baris and tries to whisper that he has been trying to pace Sir Prehil all night.

Ewen looks at Prehil and attempts to truth read him as he asks about his day. “What have you been doing all day, drinking?”

“Well, I’ll tell you. Ya know, I never thought that I’d say this, you can get tired of a courtesan singing ‘If I’d known you were coming I’d a baked a cake.’ So, I decided this morning to go hunting.”

“To wear out a different mount?”

Prehil laughs, “The hardest part for me was to where to bestow my golden essence. I flipped a coin.” Prehil pulls out a gleaming Khuzan gold crown.

Baris looks at it and says, “Strange coin.”

“It is a lucky coin. Luckier than I thought. It chose for me to visit the village of Runuld, where I plucked the most delectable blossom. Later, her father had business in the barn, so I pulled the other sword from the scabbard and we were all right.”

“Did anything else happen today. It was a dull day of errands for us. I must live vicariously through you for the moment,” Baris says.

“You need to get out more. I was busy for most of the morning … what time is it?”

Baris tells him. Sir Prehil begins to stretch, “Really? Maybe I should get upstairs.”

“I think that a drinking game is in order. Do you have any to share Sir Prehil?” Ewen says, trying to get more out of him.

“There is one. It’s coming up with your teeth. You flip a coin, and whoever’s ale it lands in, must drink to the dregs and come up with the coin in his teeth.”

A few moments later, Cekiya and Kaelyn walk in and witness the not so finest hour of five knights.

As Baris watches Sir Ewen try to drink the ale in one gulp, he asks Sir Eadril and Lyndar what they did today to break up the boredom. Their reply is that they didn’t think they were bored.

Upstairs the ladies hatch a plan to visit the Cask and Flagon to see if they can gain any more information on the priestess and her friends. Imarë and Cekiya will go to the Cask and Flagon with Kaelyn staying at the Green Dragon. Imarë will hide nearby in a copse of trees in case a fight breaks out or if anything else goes wrong and Cekiya will go inside and try to get close to the priestess to eavesdrop.

Cekiya enters the common room about nine-thirty, it is crowded but not as crowded as Ewen and Baris described it earlier. Arnys is still there and all four of the priestess’s party are in the room. They are taking up half a table that conveniently has one empty seat. There are three other empty seats in the room and one at the bar. Cekiya takes the empty seat next to her target. None of the quartet recognizes Cekiya as a member of Ewen’s retinue. There is another woman on the other side of Cekiya who is not much of looker, but she is armored in a cloth vest and cuirass. She has a shortsword and dagger visible.

“My name is Tora.”

“I’m Cekiya.”

“Cekiya? What brings you to Minarsas?”

“My lord comes to a wedding.”

“Ah, so you are in service?” Tora asks pleased with the response. At Cekiya’s nod, Tora continues, “It is a good thing to be in service.”

“Are you in service?”

“I was and I’d like to be again.”

“Why aren’t you anymore?” Cekiya asks a bit sadly.

“I’m formally of the Order of the Lady of the Paladins.”

“What do you wish to do?”

“You never know when someone will need a good lady. I felt that the wedding of the Lady Camissa would be just the occasion to get noticed.”

“True.”

“It is difficult to get noticed around here.”

“True”

“Are you in service to a great lord.”

“Yes, but it is the wrong place to find one. This is a great place to unwind, but not to find a lord.”

“You wish to unwind?”

“After a good day’s service with your lord a good pint of ale is even better. When did you get here?”

“Some days ago. I came with my cousin.”

“It is good to have family,” Cekiya says, getting the hang of this small talk.

“Yep. We follow a different profession. She’s a courtesan. You may not know her, her name is Maryna.”

As Cekiya smiles she listens a bit more intently on the quartet next to her. She hears them speak of Sir Toren Curo. They do not mention him by name, just by the nickname ‘The Son.’ As Cekiya listens she learns that they came here a few days ago with him, but he hasn’t had anything for them to do. However, the priestess frets about her run-in with Sir Ewen and Sir Baris earlier (she mentions them by name). The priestess worries that their presence is no longer a secret.

Cekiya smiles a bit larger and focuses her attention on Tora once more. “I can’t promise anything but I can speak to my lord to see if there any possibilities for you with him.”

“That makes sense. Wait a minute, you aren’t part of Sir …?”

“Let’s go elsewhere and discuss that,” Cekiya interrupts.

Tora agrees and the two get up to outside. Cekiya glances over at Arnys who is trying not to laugh.

Once outside Cekiya, looks up and says ‘Ok, what were you going to say?’

Tora looks down and Cekiya and puts a hand on her shoulder as if to steady herself. “You aren’t … You don’t … You aren’t part of Sir Baris Tyrestal’s retinue are you?”

Cekiya narrows her eyes, hand reaching slowly for a dagger, “How do you know that name?”

Tora oblivious to the danger, slumps against the wall, hand over heart and says, “He’s so handsome.”

Cekiya smirks, “Yes, actually I am part of his group.”

“Squeeeeeee! I heard he is looking for a squire”

“Are you looking to be squired?”

“I am not really the squire type, but I can be a man-at-arms.”

“What is your full name?”

“Tora of Sordel.”

“Ok, just keep quiet. I can’t promise anything, but I’ll speak to him.”

“Oh no, I am under no illusions. I know that I am not that pretty and definitely not in his league.”

“Are you strong?”

Tora grabs Cekiya’s arms. Cekiya looks down at Tora’s meaty hands and says ‘Not bad.’

“I am under no illusions, just to be near him, that would be …”

“You know what would ruin those chances. To be overheard speaking of him here.”

“Ok. Oh you can mention that among my best skills is archery. I am a great archer.”

“Are you competing tomorrow?”

“Yes, I am going to win.”

“How do you know that.”

“The only way I can lose if an elf turns up,” Tora laughs at the possibility of that happening and does not notice Cekiya’s half smile.

“Now that’s just ridiculous. I think we should have another ale and cheers to your archery.”

They go back inside but the seats had been filled. Tora looks down at the two men and intimidates them into moving. This time Tora takes the seat next to the quartet. Cekiya listens in but hears nothing of real interest. The goofy looking book boy mentions something about that there was an awful lot of activity up at the castle today, and that he wished he knew what was going on.

Tora overhears this last bit and mentions to Cekiya that she noticed that herself, and also wonders what’s going on. Cekiya shrugs and mentions that there is a wedding to be planned and last minute details are usually associated with a buzz of activity.

“You would think so, but this morning I was traveling up to the woods to practice for the archery contest. As I passed by the Wool Common the strangest thing happened. Four riders went bolting north as if the very hounds of hell were upon them.”

“How early was this?”

“Just after dawn.”

“Did you recognize any of them?”

“No, it was just odd. Two riders armed and armored and two bowmen. I thought to myself that they’re not going to practice for the archery contest.”

“What did the horses look like?”

“I am not really a judge, though the leader was on a black gelding.”

“The headed north, straight from town.”

“No, from the Green Dragon inn.”

“Would you recognize them again, if you saw them.”

“No, there were two in three-quarter helms. But maybe the others. There were nondescript in half helms.”

“Odd.”

“It was odd. Such a haste at a very early hour.”

“Was it a striking gelding the leader was riding? Would you recognize it again?”

“It was a simple Harnic pony, just being black made it striking.”

“Tora, do you have connections to anyone here?”

“Just my cousin,” Tora answers, looking a bit confused.

“How would you like to meet Baris this evening?”

“I would do anything to meet Baris.”

“Well then, today is your lucky day.”

Cekiya leads Tora, once again out of the common room. Once outside she motions for Imarë to join them. They head back to the Green Dragon about an hour or so after Cekiya and Imarë first entered the Cask and Flagon.

Imarë grabs Ewen and Baris’ attention to meet them upstairs. Once the group is all upstairs, Cekiya introduces Tora to the group. Tora is a bit starstruck with Baris. Baris, even though he just spent the past couple of hours drinking heavily, notices and stands up a bit straighter. Cekiya asks Tora to retell everything she told Cekiya about what she noticed this morning.

After Tora finishes her story, Kaelyn asks if she happened to notice any details on the armor or weapons.

“Yes, I am a former Remken of the Lady of the Order of Paladins. The lead knight was in mail, three-quarter helm, knight shield, bastard sword and no livery. The second knight was in mail, three-quarter helm, knight shield, broad sword and riding a bay gelding. The first bowman was riding a brown gelding and the second bowman was on a mare. They both wore half helms with bows and falchions.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle