Session Seventy-Eight - November 20, 2010

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Seventy-Eight - November 20, 2010

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:23 am

Nuzyael 27, 732

In the silence that followed the shouted command of the Earl of Vemion, the Lady Thilisa merely raised her head high and walked out of the great hall. Sir Ewen, following closely behind his lady, is detained a moment by the Lady Elena; ‘I will take the liberty of packing up your things Sir Ewen.’ Ewen nods adding that he will see to his retinue. Out in the courtyard it appears that word had been sent ahead. The Lady Thilisa merely mounts her horse without a word and thunders out.

Sirs Ewen and Baris return to the Green Dragon where they find the Lady Thilisa already ensconced in their suite.

‘How soon can we be out of here?’ she demands.

‘I will set things in motion immediately; a couple of hours at most.’

‘The sooner the better.’ Thilisa replies turning to look out the window.

A short time later Lady Elena enters the suite. She confesses that it was her that spoke of the secret wedding; she was cornered by Karsin Ubael the younger. Kit witnessed the wedding through a convenient hole in Ewen’s tent and reported back to Karsin. That’s when Lady Elena was cornered and broke down. The Lady Thilisa appears irritated but does not dismiss Elena from her service.

Ewen takes a moment to inform Prehil that he is leaving and why, as the others begin their packing. Ewen hears a muffled ‘Just a moment’ after he knocks on the door. Sir Prehil, just barely dressed, opens the door, ‘Can we talk later?’ he says in a worldly way.

‘I’m afraid not, I need to have an immediate word.’

Prehil looks over his shoulder at Maryna displayed in his bed and says with a touch of embarrassment, ‘Maryna, cover yourself. Come in Ewen.’

‘I’m married, Prehil, and banished on top of that.’

‘What! You, married … at a wedding? What a notion. Who?’

‘Lady Thilisa. Against the Earl’s wishes.’

Prehil is momentarily speechless, his mouth opening and closing. ‘By Siem’s moldy bowls! You’re the rogerer!’

“I am sorry for not telling you sooner.’

Prehil just shakes his head laughing, ‘you dog …’

‘We have been banished for the lifetime of the Earl. I shall see you in Tashal.’

‘You will and we’ll raise a glass and then some.’

Ewen takes his leave of Prehil and returns to his own suite. Once there, he sends Filen to inform Sir Rohn of his marriage to Thilisa. Filen returns rather shortly thereafter with the message, ‘I’ll emend the chart.’

The party, plus Thilisa’s retinue of Lady Elena, Finbar, and a maid, is ready to leave by early afternoon. The party reaches Athelren by evening. The weather takes a turn for the worse and it rains in hard sheets, making it impossible for them to leave the next morning. Ewen and Thilisa take this unexpected delay to spend the day in company of only each other.

The party departs for Sirendel on the morning of the 29th, with Filen riding ahead to ready their rooms. By the 30th the party has reached Claydon. Sir Catham does not seem exactly pleased to see them, but as it is only for one night, he manages to be a suitable host for his liege.

Peonu 1, 732

By dusk the party reaches Tashal. Upon reaching Raven Hall, Finbar takes his leave and rides off to an unknown destination. When Ewen and Thilisa walk in the Steward and servants all bow and say ‘welcome home.’

Sir Ewen smiles and says ‘Thank you. Allow me to present my wife; the Lady Thilisa Ravinargh.’ He turns to Thilisa and says he hopes that the staff will make her life pleasant here. She smiles and tells Ewen that she is sure that the staff will know exactly what she wants as ‘they used to be hers at Osel House.’

Peonu 2, 732

The next morning, after a quick breakfast meeting, at which Tora seems slightly possessive and protective of Baris, the party splits up to take care of various errands.

Ewen departs for Hag Hall to fill in Rahel on the events that transpired in Minarsas, and Cekiya comes along. Once at Hag Hall a man-at-arms lets the pair in. Cekiya heads straight for the kitchen and Ewen ascends the stairs. As he enters the chambers he sees Rahel, more dulcet than ever, with but a slightly rounded belly, luxuriating on the bed. He smiles and greets Rahel, ‘How do you fare?’

Rahel rises from the bed to kiss Ewen. ‘It is the most wonderful experience. I should have done it years ago.’ She opens her mind to Ewen and with Rahel guiding him, Ewen touches again the mind of his son. After a few moments Rahel and Ewen withdraw from the newly forming mind and each other. Rahel takes a step back and asks Ewen, ‘Why are you back so soon?’

‘Well, I return to Tashal with my new lady wife, Lady Thilisa. We have been banished by her angry father and will miss Camissa’s wedding.’
Rahel’s face is a study of emotions, with at least one briefly being consternation, but finally a radiant smile breaks across her face. ‘My hero,’ she whispers as she wraps her arms around Ewen’s neck, drawing him close. After time passes, Ewen must make his apologies for tiring so quickly, ‘I have been doing my duty to impregnate the bitch for the last week.’

Rahel laughs softly, ‘Hound. Having two women belly up at once – father would be proud.’

‘I must be his son after all.’ Ewen leans back and is drawn once more into a rapport of the mind with Rahel. After the entire time in Minarsas is shared with her, she says, ‘That explains it. Sir Lyndar Bastune arrived a couple days ago and has been holed up with his mother ever since.’

‘I am going to see Stimos later.’

‘An excellent idea. It is too soon for any diplomatic fallout, but it will happen.’

Ewen spends a few minutes more talking with Rahel before he departs with Cekiya following along behind him.

Meanwhile, Baris and Tora go and see Baris’ new property. Baris pulls the bell and as he waits he takes a moment to survey the building. It is four, solid stone stories. There are three barred windows on the first floor. The door opens slightly, ‘Good Morning, I am Sir Baris and I’m the new owner of this building.’

‘Not interested,’ says the woman who answered the door.

‘Is Sir Andorkil in?’

‘No.’

‘Open the door to Sir Baris immediately!’ Tora commands, not happy at the way Baris is being treated. After the slightest pause, the door opens wide.

‘Alright. Be just a minute.’ The woman says, and bustles into what appears to be the kitchen.

‘You don’t have to take that,’ Tora says to Baris, both explaining her behavior and her annoyance at the affront to Sir Baris’ dignity.

A few moments later a new woman comes out of the kitchen. ‘I am Lady Malanel Runder. How may I help you?’

‘Sorry to intrude so suddenly. I am recently come from Minarsas, where the Earl has bestowed this property to me.’

‘My husband is not at home at the moment. Can you come back at a more suitable time? I trust you have the proper documents.’

‘Of course. When do you expect him home?’

‘Around two.’

‘We look forward to a suitable reception,’ Tora says, looking at Lady Malanel sternly.

‘I am not a servant too be so easily cowed.’ Lady Malanel says, iron in her voice.

‘Nor am I.’

Baris quickly ends the battle of will between the two women by saying that he shall be back around two.

Outside Tora says, ‘I apologize for my attitude, but haughtiness is not acceptable.’

‘There is a time and a place for it,’ is Baris’ tepid response.

‘Of course you’re right, but they need to be more accommodating.’

The conversation, bordering on a disquisition, about proper behavior continues all the way to the place of business of Querene Valain. Once there they are informed that she is at the Hall of the Mangai. Going to that imposing structure, Baris introduces himself to the guard and informs him that he wishes to speak with Querene. The guard gives a boy waiting nearby instructions to ask if Querene is inside and if she will speak to Sir Baris. The boy comes back shortly and informs the guard that ‘Yes, Querene will see them.’

Inside the hall there is an enormous vaulted chamber. There are eight beautifully constructed pillars along each side, with beautifully decorated fire pits along the center of the chamber. The boy leads Baris and Tora to the left and up to the second floor gallery. The pillars continue up past the gallery to the vaulted ceiling. The floors are crafted out of oak. They reach a small chamber office. The boy knocks and opens the door. Inside is a table, scattered with papers, with Querene seated behind it and a journeyman sitting opposite her. Querene dismisses the journeyman.

‘Sir Baris … Sir Baris Tyrestal is it not?’

‘Mistress Querene. I was hoping to make an investment, so I have come to you for advice.’

‘This is a pleasant surprise. I am interested in what investment a knight such as you would be making. Thank you for the thought. What can I do for you?’

‘Do you recall a tavern called the “Seven Stars?”

Her face darkens, ‘All too well.’

‘I was hoping to help it open under new management and a new name.’

‘I know of no knights who are members of the innkeeper’s guild.’

‘That is why I came to you.’

‘You can’t buy the franchise, but you can buy the property and possibly partner with a guildsman.’

‘That’s exactly why I am here. I need a partner, and need to know the steps to do all that.’

‘Worton Harabor, the Innkeeper’s guildsman, does have a candidate. But the candidate has not raised funds for the franchise, much less the building. The building,’ Querene pauses, ‘I presently hold the note. It was … um, left to me. I don’t wish to own it, but I am willing to sell it.’

‘For how much?’

‘Well, these things are intangible you understand. Property includes land and improvements, sometimes called a building. These can be sold together or separately. I am selling together so the price will be higher.’ Querene takes a moment to size up Baris. Baris realizing this, attempts to look smarter, but judging from Querene’s quiet chuckle, he failed. ‘I am currently asking £36 for both land and building.

‘Sir Baris, we are expected back by Sir Ewen, perhaps you can resolve this another time?’ Tora interrupts, also seeing Baris fail at looking smart.

‘Ok. I’ll have to liquidate some assets,’ Baris says still thinking about the investment, but then he sees Tora’s expression. ‘Yes, of course another time.’

Querene smiles broadly at Baris, ‘I’ll be here all day today or at my own establishment over the next few days.’

‘Oh thanks! I appreciate all your help!’ Baris says quite exuberantly. As Baris and Tora close the door behind them, they hear sounds of what possibly could be Querene laughing.

‘Abject apologies Sir Baris, I have no head for these things. Do you know of anyone who does?’ Tora asks Baris as they make their way out of Mangai Hall.

‘I never thought it would go this fast, I just wanted to get the ball rolling. I think the Ewen knows someone,’ Baris says as they walk back to Raven Hall.
Meanwhile, Ewen and Cekiya make their way to the Baron of Stimos’ house in the early afternoon. The Baron had just returned from court.

‘Sir Ewen, always a pleasure,’ he says cordially.

‘I trust you have been well?’

‘I am. I am surprised to see you. I thought you were in Minarsas.’

‘That is the very pith of the matter I need to talk to you about.’

‘It has been that way all week,’ the Baron says with a smile, ‘May I offer you a libation?’ He asks as Baum comes in with drinks.

‘Thank you. To get straight to the point; whilst in Minarsas, I got married.’

‘At a wedding?’

‘Seemed like a good idea. My lady wife, the former Dowager Countess Thilisa and I just arrived back in town.’

The Baron’s eyes grow wide with surprise as Ewen names his wife. The Baron takes a very large drink and pours himself another one. ‘You married …?’

‘Yes and not with the Earl’s permission.’

‘I am not surprised. He must have blown … he … did he … did he have an aneurysm?’

‘No, he just banished us.’

‘Oh my. How is this going to go over in court?’

‘That is why I’m here.’

‘I can think of one person who will be thrilled.’

‘The Queen?’ Ewen guesses.

‘It will be an enormous joke. The King … I do not know how he’ll take it at all. Either he’ll banish you as well or take it as a relief. This still could excite a good deal of jealousy.’

‘The Earl did make threats to disinherit his eldest daughter.’

‘He won’t get far on that. It would take a felonious act on her part.’

‘In spite of the Earl’s bluster, I did marry an heir. I think I need to marshal my arms accordingly.’

‘Plant a flag, so to speak,’ the Baron says, ‘Good idea.’

‘I shall need to wait for Sir Rohn to return.’ Ewen says with a slight smile.

‘He won’t be inclined to help you I imagine, but I suppose he’ll do it. If tries to make you pay for the full arms, we’ll help you fund it. Tharda would be most happy to help. The King has been generous and I find it hard to spend it all.’

Ewen smiles his thanks. ‘It occurs to me; in time, with the Earl blustering and my marriage, Lady Thilisa and I will need to gather to us those allies that we may. I would take your council if you have any thought.’

‘A few thoughts actually. My support at court counts for nothing. Naturally, you have an enemy of Vemion, he would kill you if he can. I understand you are no great friend of Neph and have crossed with Osel.’

‘It was more of a draw I’d say.’

The Barons smiles tightly and continues, ‘And Balim finds you shady. Here’s where it gets interesting. Neph is a lost cause. However, if you have come to a draw with Osel, he’d welcome this development and Balim will welcome this development. You have defanged any political rival and you are not threat.’

Ewen smiles a not so nice smile as the Baron continues, ‘This could make cultivating relationships easier or not. You have lost the barons who were potential suitors, but you will gain those who were not.’

Ewen takes this moment to fill the Baron on all the events that transpired in Minarsas.

The Baron takes another large drink. ‘This explains a lot. Vemion might let the Baron of Kolorn go, to be a thorn in your side.’

‘He called me a son of a gong farmer.’

The Baron laughs, ‘If he weren’t an Earl, you’d call him out; which begs the question I am not supposed to ask, so I won’t’

Ewen murmurs into his cup ‘you know the answer’ but the Baron does not hear. Louder, Ewen says, ‘Lyndar is holed up at his mother’s house.’

‘Take caution calling him out. Don’t cause a ruckus in the city.’

‘What about the Queen, can she counter weight the opinion of the King?’
‘Not a good idea now. Wait for the King’s move first. Don’t push it.’

‘What are you going to do with this information now?”

‘Whatever you wish me to,’ the Baron says cautiously.

‘I wish to have a positive spin on all of this.’

‘I’ll whisper it in the right ears and it will spread.’

‘Speaking of spreading gossip; any thoughts one the Lady Cheselyne?’

The Baron laughs out loud, ‘This is the best bit of gossip ever. You will get an invitation to a party soon, hopefully so will I.’

‘Thank you, I hope to see you there.’

Around two in the afternoon, Baris and Tora return to Baris’ new building. As they are expected this time, they are lead right in. Tora looks about the room to see if there are any refreshments for Baris as a sign of welcome, but does not see any.

Baris greets the lady ‘It is good to see you again.’

The man standing next to her introduces himself as Sir Andorkil Runder.

‘It is a pleasure to meet you.’

‘My lady wife informed me you are now the owner of this domicile.’

‘Yes, I performed a service of import for the Earl and he saw this is how he saw fit to reward me.’

‘The Earl of Vemion?’ Sir Andorkil says.

‘Yes, the Earl of Vemion. He rewarded me with the title to this building.’ Baris says producing the documents for Sir Andorkil’s review.

‘All seems to be in order. Congratulations appear to be to the new owner. You will register this of course.’

‘Of course, I only just returned from Minarsas’

Sir Andorkil smiles and tells the servants to bring out the ale for everyone.

‘It’s not appropriate,’ Tora says looking at the tray.

Lady Runder looks shocked. Tora continues ‘I’m on duty.’ Everyone in the room laughs awkwardly, a bit more relaxed now.

‘I have never owned a building before. Can you inform me of the protocol or procedures for rent, repairs and the like.’

Sir Andorkil is most happy to tell Baris of the building. He describes the layout of each apartment and each of the tenants. Lae of Charibor, a mercantyler who owns a warehouse around the corner, is on the second floor. Daendin of Ardis, a Thardan mercantyler who represents the interests of clan Baets in Coranan, is on the third and fourth floor. Sir Andorkil, he reveals, is the Chief Clerk of the Exchequer. Sir Andorkil also gives Baris a tour of the building. He tells Baris that he typically sends the money to a representative quarterly. He will of course pro rate this quarter. As Baris and Tora are leaving, Baris thanks Sir Andorkil for all of his help.

‘You are most welcome. Would you have an interest in joining me for a libation at the Coin and Broom?’

‘That would be most pleasant.’

‘Tomorrow evening then.’

Tora and Baris return to Raven Hall, where Baris gives Filen the paperwork to register. Filen fusses a bit and takes the documents to Marhet.

Meanwhile Kaelyn has taken the advice of Imarë’s friend and has gone to the Guild of Arcane Lore. There she inquires about other of the Odivshe convocation living in Tashal. She is directed to Garth of Kerrina. A quick stop at home to grab some marzipan and she is off. At the residence she was directed to, she finds it to be a narrow house with double doors. She gives the rope pull a tug and waits.

‘I’m coming. I’m coming.’

The door opens and a middle aged grizzled man sticks his face out. ‘What do you want? Do I know you?’

‘I wish to speak with Garth of Kerrina. My name is Kaelyn of Aletta.’

‘Does he know you?’

‘I wish to make his acquaintance.’

‘Why?’ The man looks genuinely puzzled.

‘I am a Satia Mavari of the Odivshe convocation and a colleague.’

‘Oh, all right.’ He motions Kaelyn in and tells her it will be a moment. She waits in the stable with four horses. One of them stands akimbo and urinates. Kaelyn moves a little farther in. What seems like a long time later, the man returns and looks in as if to reassure himself that Kaelyn hasn’t left. He has her follow him. He leads her into the kitchen where two women are working. Kaelyn notices that one is extremely ugly. She follows the man up the stairs and immediately to the left into a comfortable hall. There is a fireplace, bookshelves, the typical boring tapestry and chairs. There is an average sized man in his early 30’s, who might have been decent looking if it weren’t for the scowl on his face, seated in one of the chairs.

‘Ah, an Odivshe are you?’

Kaelyn smiles and answers in the affirmative.

‘I’m Garth of Kerrina. Come sit and tell me about yourself.’

‘Starting at which point?’

‘The most interesting point.’

Kaelyn smiles and gives a quick précis of herself.

‘Astarok … he’s dead you know.’

‘I know. I am living in his old house.’

‘How?’

‘I am currently in the household of a man who falls into a cesspool and comes out holding a diamond.’

‘That’s quite a trick. His house is owned by a knight?’

‘Yes, Sir Ewen Ravinargh.’

‘Is he not the holder of four manors?’

‘Yes, and if that that is your way of asking about the chantry in Inbernel, he does hold that manor.’

‘Aren’t you froward!’

‘Saves time,’ Kaelyn shrugs.

‘Yes, Astarok was thoroughly disgusted with them. Not much to know about them. Their research is no more than thinly disguised recapitulations of more learnéd mages. Why would they welcome a serious student of the art such as yourself? And I’ll tell you, the viran, Terrell of Chart – who positively cannot tell the difference between an Elmith and a V’hir …’ Garth gives Kaelyn a wink and continues, ‘Such a towering intellect could only advance through bribery, connections, or both. Certainly Astarok could not abide him. Of the two shenavas, Leridia of Shon has certainly done nothing to advance the art. She has done more to misfortunate benches upon which she has deposited her roomy posterior. She is coarse, vulgar and loud. Indeed, she does not scruple to fart, and upon one such elephantine blast, Astarok suggested she harness such effusive principle for use in a spell to benefit ships becalmed at sea. The other, Cedric of Kalbin,’ Garth shrinks slightly, continuing in a peevish voice, ‘I’ve never known the wight to string two rational thoughts together, and since his time on the Tesien moor he has become a positive stranger to reason.’

‘Thank you for the, I’m sure, accurate description,’ Kaelyn says when Garth stops talking for a moment. He seems taken back that he was talking. He quickly changes the subject and indicates that he is done talking and the visit should be over.

Late in the afternoon the entire party once again gathers at Raven Hall. Tora notices that Imarë seems a little out of sorts. She offers to make Imarë a mustard plaster, as that is the cure for most ailments. Imarë declines the offer.

Around four in the afternoon a messenger arrives from Lady Cheselyne inviting Imarë to tea. Imarë accepts. At Lady Cheselyne’s she is directed down the hall to the back room.

‘My dear elf, do come in. Oh don’t stand on ceremony. Have some wine. Did you bring your little friend?’

‘I came alone,’ Imarë says, bracing herself for the conversation sure to follow.

‘There’s mine. Can you see him?’ Lady Cheselyne says gesturing to a corner. ‘Oh let me top off your glass.’

Imarë thanks her and the two spend a few moments speaking of the weather and other pleasantries. Imarë feels that the Lady Cheselyne is expecting to hear more news and gossip. Imarë, whose patience is surprisingly unelflike, asks her if there is anything she’d like to ask.

‘Oh no dear. I just thought it would be nice to have some tea. I have heard that you elves are the masters at duplicity, but I have never found any foundation in that statement. For example I heard the most unbelievable rumor. Oh, but you would think it is silly.’ Lady Cheselyne leans forward slightly and tops off Imarë’s glass, ‘I have heard that Sir Ewen has returned to Tashal.’

‘Yes, that is true. Sir Ewen and others returned last night.’

‘But didn’t you go to the wedding of that lovely young man and Lady Camissa?’

‘Yes, but there were problems, so we came back.’

‘Another rumor I have heard. While it is conceivable that Sir Ewen left Minarsas before the nuptials, which I believe are scheduled for Peonu the fourth, which is in two days, how can it be possible that a lady who knows so much of protocol that she is practically the doyenne of protocol, would miss her sister’s wedding?’

‘I understand that she and her father had a little altercation.’

‘Oh my gods! It is true then that the Lady Thilisa is in Tashal.’

‘It is surprising that news has spread so quickly.’

Lady Cheselyne sits up a bit straighter, ‘I hope for Lady Thilisa’s sake that it hasn’t.’ Cheselyne pauses. ‘I shall have to rearrange the guest list. Oh you will be able to come to a party on the fifth, won’t you? And that Sir Ewen, he’ll be able to come too?’

‘If the Lady Thilisa came, Sir Ewen would come as well.’

‘Really?’

‘You do seem rather well informed.’

‘That must be a first dear. Would you like more wine?’

‘Certainly, and more for you as well Lady Cheselyne?’ Imarë says looking pointedly at the nearly full first glass of the Lady Cheselyne.

‘Well, dear we do seem to be at an impasse. So tell me, have you seen much the Lady Thilisa?’

‘A bit, now and again. I am not always around.’

‘Yes, yes you must have to commune with the shrubs or something.’

‘Trees,’ Imarë corrects absently. ‘I noticed that Sir Prehil brought a special friend to Minarsas.’

‘Really? Sir Prehil is a rogue, the dear. You know when he was a little boy I understand he trimmed his little sister’s locks in the middle of the night. She was bald as an egg.’

‘I do understand that the Baron Nenda had a conniption at one of the feasts; cursing his son, cuffing him on the ear. He claimed his liver tried to escape his body.’

‘Well, that is a new one, even for him. I have never heard of a liver so disliking its host it tries to eject.

‘Is the planning for your big party keeping you busy?’

‘Oh dear, I have been swamped. So many details. It is not as easy as you might think. First you have to invite the right people and then it just goes on and on. And then there are those who try to scoop your party, I shan’t name any names, but they try to see who is on the A-list and then invite them first.’

Imarë nods sympathetically, ‘Between the kidnapping, the banishment, the assassination attempt, and the return to Tashal, I am so over Minarsas. It is good to be back in Tashal. Tell me, what other news have you heard.’

‘Well, I’m not surprised. Minarsas is so provincial, but those things you just mentioned seem exciting.’

‘It was one action packed time,’ Imarë sighs.

‘I wonder … There was another ghastly rumor – do you know the Bastunes dear?’

‘Yes, I believe they are our neighbors.’

‘Yes of course. Lady Peresta is a particular friend of mine. I can’t say the same of her husband. I understand that her son, I say her son mind you, is staying in Tashal. Of course I never go with rumors, as he is supposed to be, like you dear, in Minarsas for a wedding.’

‘Well, he is related to one of the events I mentioned.’

‘Really? That doesn’t surprise me a bit. He is such a dull boy, nose always to the grindstone, he had to snap eventually. I don’t know if he has come to Tashal three times this decade. No, not a dutiful son, but he is trying to hold the barony together and all.’

‘His father doesn’t help?’

‘Oh no, he is such a wastrel. I would never invite the Baron of Kolorn to any affair.’

‘I heard that Sir Lyndar’s father died in the tournament.’

‘Well, certainly the Baron of Kolorn is still quick, so if Sir Lyndar’s father did die in the tournament someone would have some explaining to do.’

‘I would think that is true. But the Baron hasn’t spent much time with his wife.’

‘What does that have to do with anything? Sir Lyndar does not take after either of his parents, neither of which are dull. I swear he almost reminds me of a cart horse. But bad blood is bad blood and all that.’

‘Blood counts for everything.’

‘Yes, I’ve heard that too. Of course, I am the granddaughter of a king, so I believe it so. This is not to say the Lady Peresta is not of noble blood, I just say bad is all.’

‘At any rate don’t think the Baron of Kolorn will attend the wedding,’ Imarë says.

‘Has he gone home as well?’

‘No, when we left, he was in a rather unpleasant circumstance.’

‘Was he involved of any of the three tidbits you dropped?’

‘No, not involved, it was due to more of what his son did.’

‘Oh yes, Lyndar’s burst of interesting.’

‘First I have heard of actions of the son affecting the father.’

‘So, don’t make me guess dear, which of the three was it?’

‘The first.’

‘Kidnapping. I wouldn’t think he’d have it in him. His victim could have been only one of two people; Camissa or Thilisa … Camissa or Thilisa. It had to be Thilisa, because why kidnap Camissa and forfeit the earldom?‘

‘Lady Cheselyne, you are always ahead of everyone in the room.’ Imarë says beaming, ‘May I have a drop more of this wine? It is simply delicious.’ Imarë refills her glass and leans back with a sigh, ‘I’ll tell you what I have not told anyone else. I despair of ever understanding humanity and what I have seen in Minarsas … I am thinking of leaving Sir Ewen’s household and returning to the Shava forest.’

Lady Cheselyne reaches out and pats Imarë’s arm, ‘If that is what you think, you must do what is best.’

‘My entire reason of coming here with Sir Ewen is to try to understand humanity.’

‘I don’t think it is that you can’t understand humanity, it’s that you are framing the question wrong. You are trying to understand the general from the specific. I find you will learn more if you examine the specific. I believe that many things become clearer when you flip the issue.’

Imarë leans in, like a student discussing a rather dear topic. ‘So explain your concept to me by this situation of Sir Lyndar kidnapping Thilisa and Sir Ewen rescuing her.’

‘Did you say that before dear, that Sir Ewen rescued Thilisa?’

Imarë waves her hand around as if that bit of information is simply not important, ‘I wish to understand Sir Lyndar’s motivation for the kidnapping.’

‘He is dullard, I believe I said that before.’

‘In elven society, blood counts for so much. Lady Peresta and the Baron of Kolorn have invested so much into their titles and status and land, but not each other?’

‘It’s simple dear, they can’t stand each other. If they are in the room together for more than thirty seconds, blood is shed. But both of them are consumed with animalistic appetites incapable of restraint, rather like peasants.’

Imarë shudders at the image, ‘But Sir Lyndar seems to be motivated by something different.’

‘Oh yes, not the slightest inclination towards animal appetites. I’m sure his lust has a more metallic ring to it, an aureate ring if you will.’

‘Is he not heir to enough?’

‘Of course not. You selfless elves.’ Lady Cheselyne chuckles, ‘Avarice … avarice … avarice … remember the story of the man who through his own avarice found himself hanged.’

‘So I understand Lyndar; he wanted more without using force,’ Imarë pauses as she is not sure how to frame her next question. ‘ How do others in this kingdom perceive Sir Ewen?’

‘Such a direct question. Have more wine dear,’ Cheselyne smiles, ‘You see it is about power, position and the responsibility appointed to us by Larani to rule above the madding crowd.’

‘We don’t have such a philosophy. Our lives are too long for such.’

‘Yes, of course. How old are you my dear?’

‘I am but a baby. I was born after the Atani wars.’

‘Then you must be wise beyond your years.’

‘Not in elven eyes.’

‘Ah. To answer your question; I am sure that Sir Ewen is viewed with all the honor and merit he richly deserves.’

‘I have heard this phrase: double entendre?’

Lady Cheselyne lets out a most lady-like laugh, ‘Oh no dear, that refers to sex.’

‘Oh, then a backhanded compliment?’

‘What a churlish thing to do.’

‘This is why I’ve been among humans. I strive for someone to explain humanity and the things that I see.’

‘Tis a laudable goal. Perhaps if you brought your little friend around more, things would be clearer.’

‘He doesn’t know anything. He left.’

‘To be kidnapped, banished, or assassinated?’

‘None of the above, and you already know about the kidnapping.’ Imarë glances to the window and back to her glass, ‘Well, time is passing. I would love to tell you about the wedding and everything else, but I should be getting back.’

‘You didn’t attend the wedding dear,’ Lady Cheselyne says with a slight smile.

‘No, but I heard about it from one of the attendants.’

‘I am confused. How many weddings did you attend? You said you left before Camissa’s wedding.’

‘I didn’t attend any. As you know Camissa’s wedding has not occurred yet. I am talking about Lady Thilisa’s wedding.’

‘You have a great deal of wine to drink. You are mistaken: her father would have some sort of hoary aneurysm.’

Imarë sighs, ‘You don’t know the half of it. Oh I do need to get going.’

‘Oh no, sit down and finish your wine before leaving.’

‘Oh I suppose that is the proper thing to do.’

‘So, Lady Thilisa has married.’

‘I just had a thought, you could be the first to know this.’

‘Nonsense – you know.’

‘That doesn’t count. I didn’t find out, I was there.’

‘That is true, I suppose.’

Imarë nods, as if satisfied by this bit of logic. She tilts her head, ‘What do you think the reaction of others will be?’

‘Imarë dear, before we get hypothetical reactions, it would be important to know who the groom would be.’

Imarë gives a fey smile, ‘Someone not from Kaldor.’

‘You dear?’

‘Oh no, I am much too young.’

‘Excellent point. Let me think. Lady Thilisa is married and Vemion is not happy, since the Countess was seen going into where you live, I must conclude that the countess has married far below her station and into the virile arms of Sir Baris.’

‘Sir Baris is a fine man.’

‘So all admit. You ask how reactions would be; first you have to know about parentage. I believe he is Melderyni. So, take Weannere Dariune who married a Melderyni knight. She had children and then grandchildren and eventually one of those descendants became Queen of Melderyn.’

‘What a fascinating hypothetical husband for Lady Thilisa. I really must be going now.’

‘Of course, I suppose we can finish this later.’

‘Of course.’

‘I will be inviting Lady Thilisa and I need to invite her husband and to do that I would need to know who.’

‘Not Sir Baris,’ Imarë says with a laugh.’

‘To whom shall I address it?’

‘To Sir Ewen Ravinargh.’

‘Hmm … Lady Thilisa Ravinargh. How fascinating. Now don’t you go running off to the Shava Forest without saying good-bye.’

‘I wouldn’t think of it.’

‘See you on the fifth dear.’

Imarë takes her leave of Lady Cheselyne and returns to inform the party of all that transpired. A quick look by Filen at any invitations that have arrived shows that no other party is scheduled for the fifth.

A few moments later Walen announces Lady Thilisa’s return. Thilisa surveys the room, ‘Can I get in on this game of eight’s?’

Ewen grins, rising to greet Thilisa, ‘Of course.’ He turns to Imarë, ‘Perhaps you should fill in the Lady Thilisa on your tea with the Lady Cheselyne.’

Imarë nods and tells Thilisa of the ‘rumors’ Cheselyne had heard and that an invitation for a party on the fifth should be forthcoming.

‘How convenient,’ is Thilisa’s reply.

‘How so?’ Imarë asks only to be met with a icy glare from Thilisa. The Lady Thilisa give Ewen a look saying ‘control your servants.’

‘This is a dilemma. You did say the fifth?’ Thilisa turns to speak fully to Ewen. ‘I was going to suggest we hold an open house on the fifth to announce our engagement. I feel the sooner the better.’

‘Can we upstage the Lady Cheselyne and hold it on the fourth?’ Ewen asks.

‘Oh no, you can’t do that to Lady Cheselyne in her own town. She is the First Lady of Tashal,’ Thilisa says with a wave of her hand. She looks about the room at the rest of the party sitting there. ‘What are these people doing here?’

Baris, Kaelyn, and Imarë all take their cue and leave. Thilisa sighs as they close the door. ‘That is where the announcement must be. But there is something we can do. I’d like to go for a walk on the bank of the Kald, would you join me?’

‘Of course, anything you wish.’

‘We must go early tomorrow if the weather holds. I am afraid it might be earlier than you are accustomed to rising. Oh, one more thing. You must find a room for Sir Rollard, he is arriving in an hour.’

Ewen merely smiles and rings for the steward, ‘Sir Rollard is arriving in an hour, find him a suitable room.’

Lady Thilisa paces the room. ‘This is a large room husband. Who abides on that cot in the corner?’

‘The small strange one, Cekiya.’

‘It is not a question of like or dislike, but she is not in full possession of her wits.’

‘No, not at all, but she is amazingly useful.’ Ewen smiles, glancing at Cekiya crouching under the astroglobe.

Thilisa, almost following Ewen’s gaze with the direction of her pacing, walks to the astroglobe, ‘What a curious device.’

Ewen gestures to Thilisa to follow him as he leads her to the peephole. Thilisa smiles, ‘How devious! I like it. Shall I confide in you … I wonder?’

‘We do have a relationship.’ Ewen says, leading Thilisa back towards the table.

‘I was not wholly unprepared for the recent turn of events. I am not prepared to surrender my place to anyone.’

‘I have no doubt of that. The events in Minarsas must have chafed at you.’ Ewen says trying to soothe his bride.

‘I like your house, I am comfortable here. I wish for you to understand your roles. You have two. Your first role and most important one, you have already begun to fulfill. You are a stud; your principle job is to get me with child … yesterday.’

‘I shall try my best.’

‘Your second job is easier. Sir Rollard has been the captain of the guard for many years now. You will be the captain of my guard. I expect you to be the military arm of my earldom.’

‘I always have your personal safety in mind.’

‘It is not just my safety. I don’t have a military mind. I will rule and manage the land and spend the money. Do we understand each other husband?

‘Of course.’

‘Then come seal it with a kiss.’ After the not-so brief kiss, Thilisa continues, ‘Understand that I have another domicile in the city. I will be engaging in certain activities that need not concern you when you’re not doing your primary job, so don’t worry.’

‘That sounds like it falls under the role of my secondary job.’

‘That will not be for some time yet.’

‘I am worried about your safety, especially after the events in Minarsas.’

‘True. But I wouldn’t worry about my safety, you are the only thing that stands in the way for those who would think to advance through me.’

‘I will be fine. I am aware of the gravity of the situation.’

‘Now dear husband, let us return to our number one priority.’

Ewen smiles and suggests that perhaps they both have had a long and tiring day and maybe they should just sit by the fire and think of baby names.

Peonu 3, 732

Ewen calls a very early breakfast meeting. Baris makes it to the table and then lays down his head to sleep. After a few moments of what ifs, and what to dos, it is suggested they all go back to bed until Ewen has had his walk and see what happens.

Ewen walks into the kitchen about seven. Thilisa is already there. She is finishing her juice made from three pears and one raw egg. Once she finishes her juice she declares herself ready.

‘You don’t mind if Sir Rollard joins us, do you husband?’ asks Thilisa motioning to Sir Rollard standing in the corner holding a basket.

‘Good to see you Sir Rollard.’

‘Allow me to congrahtulate you again on the nuhptuals.’

‘Thank you. Welcome to my household.’

‘Mah arm is not all that it could be, but it is somewhat healed. Ah must say mah sword would be drawn to protect you as well as mah Lady.’

Ewen thanks Sir Rollard again and offers his arm to Thilisa. Thilisa leads the men up the roads to the Kald gate near the granaries. Ewen pays the boatmen a thruppence to take them across the river. Ewen notices that there is a very strong current, and the boatman is almost steering north by north to get across. They land just northeast of the refuge. Ewen sees a party of several notables crossing the bridge. He also sees two dozen or so men at arms and many well dressed ladies. He makes the comment to Thilisa that they do not seem to be alone. She replies ‘Oh good, we are not too late. Come on Ewen, there is not a moment to lose.’

She leads them on the shore past what looks like marshes lined with willow, birch, and many reeds. The entire area is tranquil. In some places, the ground is more solid. Thilisa finally comes to a small clearing and motions for Sir Rollard to set up the contents of his pack. Sir Rollard it seems was carrying two small chairs in addition to the basket of food. Once all is set up, he stands off to one side. Lady Thilisa sits down across from Ewen and begins to feed him as if she was a blushing bride. A few moments later the two men at arms enter. ‘You will need to … oh sorry M’Lady,’ they say as they see the pair and recognize the former Dowager Countess. One of the men at arms runs back and returns a short time later with another man, who appears to be a senior servant. He bows to the Lady Thilisa.

‘My Lady Countess.’

Thilisa fans herself and asks ‘Does the Queen come?’

‘Yes.’

‘We shall make way then.’ All is packed up and all in the glade wait. The large retinue comes in. It is Queen Hesena with some of her ladies in waiting and few more men at arms. The men at arms fan out across the area. The Queen comes to the center of the glade where she sees Thilisa and Ewen. Thilisa gives a respectful curtsey, while Ewen bows.

‘Lady Thilisa, what an interesting surprise. I remember this gentleman though I can’t place … oh, didn’t you play a merry tune before court?’

‘Your Grace does me an honor.’

‘I knew it. Wasn’t the tune about love?’

‘Your Grace has a remarkable memory.’

‘I enjoyed your tune.’ Queen Hesena turns to the servants to have them start setting up. ‘This shall be our refuge today. Perhaps you shall play that tune again Sir …’

‘Ewen Ravinargh,’ Ewen fills in. He half-turns to Thilisa, ‘would your grace like me to sing to my lady wife?’

The Queen’s smile grows as Ewen speaks. ‘I would like very much for you to sing, if I heard you correctly, to your lady wife.’ Thilisa curtsies again as the queen finishes speaking as if to say, guilty as assumed. Ewen begins to sing a cappella and does a good job considering the early hour and no warm up. As the morning passes it becomes clear that Thilisa knew that the Queen frequents this spot first thing in the morning and that she wanted to get here first. As the conversation between the Queen and Thilisa continues, it also becomes apparent that the Lady Thilisa is cultivating the Queen as, not yet an ally, but most certainly not an opponent. Ewen and Thilisa travel back across the bridge with the royal party.

Later that afternoon, Baris and Tora go to the meeting that Marhet has set up at Querene’s place of business. At the meeting Baris is introduced to Worton Harabor and Barton of Gelram, Worton’s candidate for the franchise of what used to be the Seven Stars, by Marhet. Baris joins the talk which has already been in progress. Worton is leaning heavily to give the franchise to Barton. Although it seems to Baris this is not because Worton feels Barton is the best person for the job, it seems more like Worton feels obligated to help Barton. Baris begins to suspect that Barton is a relation of some sort by marriage, a ‘wife’s idiot cousin’ so to speak. Worton’s heart is not in the negotations: he is just providing the franchise to Barton.

Querene is speaking about the price of the site when Baris arrives. Marhet has gotten it down to £31, but a problem remains. The franchise is £60, and Barton can only come up with half of that. Marhet and Baris discuss the options. Marhet feels that Baris can get more in rent than he could with profits if he was to go into business with Barton. Baris says he’ll think about it, but would like to purchase the land today. The meeting breaks up with Baris owning the land and building of the former Seven Stars and a promise to get word about whether he will put in for half of the franchise costs at a later time.

Back at Raven Hall, Baris discusses his options and the problem of not wanting to deplete his purse on the franchise cost to Imarë. Baris gets the idea that maybe Imarë would like to invest in the tavern. Of course, the Elf would get top billing if she did and they renamed it the Elf and the Dwarf.

Imarë smiles and asks Baris, ‘Shall we do this fifty-fifty then?’

‘Huh?’

‘We pay for 50% of the franchise, each putting in 25% of the cost.’

‘Oh, math,’ Baris says catching on.

Imarë laughs at the expression on Baris’ face. ‘I’ll put in £15 and you put in £15 and Barton will put in £30. 15 plus 15 plus 30 equals 60.’

‘Does it? Oh ok, then. Let’s do it.’ Baris agrees, trusting that Imarë’s math skills are correct.

They send a message to Marhet to go through with the paperwork.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle