Session Eighty-Two - April 30, 2011

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Eighty-Two - April 30, 2011

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Peonu 11, 732

Kaldor, Tashal
Raven Hall

At the breakfast meeting the party discussed the Ogre murders. Sir Ewen wondered whether the murders coincided with the period during which a noble might be visiting during Tashal during the summer months. The killer could be a noble, or a member or his retinue, he mused. After some discussion, the party decided that while this was a reasonable surmise, it would be difficult to discern if a particular house’s habits coincided with the pattern. Certainly the movements of major nobles were noted, but those of lesser nobles were not. Additionally, many noble houses remained on their manors until the harvest, and in the city during part of the winter, so their movements would not fit the pattern.

Ewen also wondered about the role of the aldermen in the city. Filen informed him that the aldermen had jurisdiction over neighborhoods, or represented the interests of certain groups. For example Prehil represented the interests of the nobility. They also controlled the city guard, who kept watch over the gates, charged tolls, and attended to low and petty justice. The party knew several of the aldermen, including Sir Prehil and Pesera of Hendel (one of the top aldermen, he was in charge on the courts of the city). Additionally Melin of Soral, the innkeeper at the Red Fox, was an alderman. In fact, many aldermen were guildmasters.

“The sheriff also has jurisdiction in the city,” Filen continued.

“On the subject of the sheriff, the fact that Sir Alfred threatened to torture Wybert is certainly not business as usual,” Ewen said, referring to the investigator Kaelyn had recently questioned regarding the murders.

“Wybert mentioned that the sheriff’s religious fervor was affecting his behavior,” Kaelyn replied.

The conversation continued. Tora wondered whether the Morgathian theory was a deliberate misdirection, started or continued either by the killer or someone who would be embarrassed by his unmasking. The party also discussed possible murder sites that they might watch, and the possibility that the two priestesses were not aware of all of the murders. Eventually they decided that they did not know enough to decide upon a plan of action, and the issue was tabled.

Sir Baris brought up the subject of Sir Lyndar, and again wondered how they might draw him out. The party briefly discussed framing him so that Ewen could call him out, but Ewen suggested that Lyndar was not worth the energy. “We will keep our ears open for opportunities, but otherwise we should not spend any more time on this issue.”

After breakfast, the party spent the rest of the day relaxing about Raven Hall. Ewen read, and Kaelyn continued studying elvish script with Imarë. In the early evening, Sir Baris went out drinking and continued spreading rumors about Sir Lyndar’s cowardice.

Peonu 12, 732

Kaldor, Tashal
Raven Hall

At breakfast the next morning the subject of the Ogre arose again. Kaelyn remembered that Wybert had mentioned an old woman who spoke of a similar murder that occurred years before. To this end, Kaelyn and Cekiya went off to Hag Hall to speak with Eleere, who might know the old women of the city.

At Hag Hall, Kaelyn was greeted by a guard who was confused to see her without her master. The mage asked to speak with Eleere, if she was available. After conferring with the woman, the guard allowed Kaelyn into the kitchen. She too was confused to see Kaelyn sans Ewen, but listened to her as she bustled about the kitchen.

Kaelyn initially tried beating around the bush, asking Eleere about the history of Tashal. The woman quickly nipped this in the bud, telling the mage to get to the point, as she was a retainer of Sir Ewen and did not need to dissemble with her. Kaelyn asked about an old woman, “a teller of tales.”

“You may be speaking of Old Laseral - they call her old, and she was old when I first came here. She lives with a family of masons who do some work for us from time to time. I am not sure exactly which building she lives in, but it is on the corner of Ibuthine Way and what I think is called Mason Way, just prior to the Heru Gate. I seem to recall that she lost a husband a few years back.” Eleere shook her head sadly. “He drowned.”

“Wait just a minute,” Eleere said, raising her finger before heading down the stairs. “Cakes again, who keeps throwing cakes down here?” she mumbled. Kaelyn heard the cook rummaging about, and then Eleere’s footsteps as she trotted back up. She had a bottle in hand, which she handed to Kaelyn. “Here, this will get her talking.”

Kaelyn considered the bottle. It contained a fortified apple brandy.

Kaelyn and Cekiya made their way to the corner of Ibuthine and Mason Way. Stone dust hung heavy in the air and covered the members of the neighborhood. Down the way some children giggled, playing chase. “Watch out young pebbles!” a woman yelled, after almost dropping her groceries when a child ran in front of her.

Kaelyn asked a passing mason if he knew where Laseral lived, and he gave her directions. As she and Cekiya made her way down the road, she felt the man’s gaze lingering on the two women as they walked away. Kaelyn almost ran into some children, “pebbles,” and quickly checked her money pouch. Fortunately, it was still there, and seemed about as heavy as before.

Kaelyn found the house the mason had directed her to and knocked on the door. She waited, and knocked again. She continued knocking until an old woman’s voice croaked through the door, “Come in!”

Kaelyn opened the door, revealing the owner of the voice, an elderly matron with scraggly white hair and a wrinkled face. The mage handed her the apple brandy. “Oh, a gift! Do come in,” Laseral said, smiling, revealing only a few blackened teeth.

The room was sparsely furnished, only a table and a few chairs, on which Kaelyn and Cekiya sat. “I have heard you are a wise woman and know wonderful stories!” Kaelyn began.

“You do have nothing to do with your time,” Laseral replied.

“I am a scribe and am collecting stories.”

The woman busied herself about the room, digging out some glasses. She looked into one, turned it upside down, and then handed it to Kaelyn. Finding another filthy vessel, she poured a little apple brandy into them.

“I am interested in stories of the city, about crime,” Kaelyn prompted.

“Oh, I remember one story, about my third husband? Fourth? How many husbands have I had? Old bugger fell off a bridge, banged his head, dead, leaved a body without support, and other things, the other things are important too!” She smiled lecherously and took a swig of the bottle. “Would you like more?” she asked Kaelyn, but the mage shook her head. Laseral shrugged and took another drink. “This is good stuff!”

Cekiya asked if Laseral knew any stories about women dying suddenly.

“Women can die, you know. Not by falling off bridges like a damn fool, leaving a body without support.” Laseral shook her head, and looked away as if collecting her thoughts. “There were these brothers. I don’t know where they came from, but it was from somewhere far away. They spoke Harnic with a thick accent, and they were kind of swarthy too, now I think on it. The way I hear it told, there was some sort of shenanigans going on with their sister - and a wife. These brothers were not good to women, no question about it. The one brother, he tried to rape his sister ...” her voice trailed off.

“Shocking,” Kaelyn said.

The old woman looked up. “Oh, yes. Apparently he was unsuccessful. I’m not speaking of, well, it wasn’t as if he couldn’t get it up - he couldn’t get it in!” She laughed, revealing what was left of her teeth. “Kind of a mismatch, if you know what I’m saying.”

Laseral took another swig of the bottle. “Then there was this other brother - and there is talk that he killed his wife. I’m not sure why, but that’s why they fled here. The third brother wanted nothing to do with these two, but he had to flee with them because they were all caught up. He didn’t become a mason, the other two became masons, he became a thief, I think.” She shook her head at the state of youth these days. “Now, the brother who killed his wife, he had a little boy, Nonno, I think it was the child of the wife that he killed. He was a quiet little pebble, hardly ever said a word. At first the other pebbles were mean to him about it, but then they realized that there was something wrong with him, and nothing could be done about it, so they kinda looked out for him then.”

The old woman looked expectantly at Kaelyn’s cup, which had not been touched. She shrugged, and continued to drink straight from the bottle. “What was his name? Torres, that was it. He took up with this girl, a local girl, and he had a kid with her, Natto. Truth be told, she was a bit of a tramp. One man leaves the room, another comes in, she was ok with that. Except the oldest brother, she didn’t want anything to do with him. What was his name? He had a name too. Janni, that was it.” The woman brightened, and raised her finger to indicate that she was getting to the important part of the story. “The reason I bring this up, is that this tramp, Bara, she got herself murdered dead! Murdered to death! Course it was Torres who killed her, I think. He never got punished for it. After that he, uh, well, I suppose I should tell you that they were both murdered - she was with a guy when it happened, and he got killed too. Stabbed, or was it throat cut? Maybe both.”

“What husband were you with at the time?” Kaelyn asked.

“Oh, that would be my fifth husband.”

“Was that twenty years ago?” Cekiya asked.

“No, just about fifteen years ago,” Laseral answered. That disturbing smile came back. “They were ah, doing the deed when they were killed! And they were outside the city walls, you know, in some trees, killed pretty quickly - right in the middle of it. They were still connected, as it were, when they were found. What was that boys name? He had a name.... Anders, Anders ... he was a journeyman, not a mason. I think he was a timberwright, from just across the way.

“It almost sounds like those three murders last year,” Kaelyn pretended to muse. “Except weren’t those women mutilated?”

“It sounds like you have some stories yourself little lady! I don’t know anything about that, though.”

“Are those foreign brothers still here?”

Laseral thought for a moment. “Well, Torres is still alive. I don’t know about the younger brother - Casca, that was his name. I think Janni died. Like I say, he was never able to hook up with anybody, couldn’t get married. It just didn’t fit!” she cackled.

“What happened to the two little boys?” Kaelyn asked.

“They’re still alive. Nonno, he became a hideworker.”

Kaelyn wrinkled her nose. “Oh, they smell.”

“He works for the tanner, Diryn, down toward the end of Mason Way,” Laseral continued. “Natto, well he - what is wrong with these pebbles that don’t want to grow up to be masons? Masons are needed, how else would we keep up the city walls, or bridges, so damn fools don’t slip off them! A body needs support - and the other things. Natto, Natto, he became an embalmer!”

“Do you know who he apprenticed with?” Cekiya asked.

“I don’t intend to make acquaintance of embalmers one second sooner than necessary!”

“Didn’t you have to deal with them when you buried your husbands?” Cekiya asked.

“Zuke usually handles that stuff.”

“Tell me another story,” Kaelyn interjected. “One about Lady Cheselyne when she was young.”

Laseral looked up. “Lady Cheselyne? You mean Lady Cheselyne Hosath?”

Kaelyn nodded. “I love to hear stories of the youth of grand, old, wise people.”

“Well, she was, she would be, King Torastra’s granddaughter! Good old King Torastra, he was a fine figure of a man. He sat a horse rather well. I saw him many times. This current one isn’t too bad either, a little weaselly looking, but no matter. He’s been in poor health, nearly fifty years.” She paused, looked out the window. “What were we talking about?”

Kaelyn smiled. “Lady Cheselyne.”

“Oh, yes. When she was a little girl her daddy died before King Torastra, long before. I guess she grew up thinking it was all going to be hers! When King Torastra was on his deathbed, she must have been just ten or eleven years old, something like that! I guess she thought he had died, and she yelled out ‘I am Queen Cheselyne!’ Just then her granddaddy opened his eyes and said, “No you’re not!” They say that’s how King Miginath got the crown. Of course, that might not be true. Some of the best stories are not true.” She took another swig from the bottle, tipping it far back as it was rapidly approaching empty. “Good brandy!”

Sir Baris decided to speak with Sir Prehil to learn more about the guildmasters and aldermen and perhaps get some leads. Sometime in the late afternoon, the knight tracked Prehil to Galopea’s Feast. There was one other occupied table where a wealthy guildsman was eating a fine meal.

“Baris, you old sot!” Prehil exclaimed.

“Sir Prehil, it’s good to see you!” Baris replied.

Prehil looked at Tora. “That woman seems to be attached to you by the hip, can’t you get rid of her?”

Baris shrugged. “She’s my man-at-arms. Tora, why don’t you go check on the Elf & the Dwarf, make sure everything is running smoothly.”

Tora nodded and headed out.

Prehil cocked his head. “You’ve been behaving peculiarly lately, you didn’t get knocked on the head did you?”

“Peculiarly?”

“Your foray into innkeeping, this is vulgar mercantilism. People are beginning to talk!”

“What’s so vulgar about making a little cash?”

“There’s nothing vulgar about making cash. What’s vulgar is being a carnival barker! Let the innkeeper do that. From what I hear you have been commissioning signs, hiring help! You’re a knight! By Sarajin’s frigid farts man, it’s work!”

Sir Baris choked on his ale and wiped the back of his hand across his mouth. “I may have perhaps gotten overexcited.” He grinned. “I have a deep enthusiasm for the place.”

“Enthusiasm is important, but perhaps you should direct your enthusiasm to other pursuits!” He returned Baris’s grin, a glint in his eye. “Maryna’s back in town - you should go see her later, on me!”

Baris thought back to his time with Maryna, a wistful look on his face. “Thank you Prehil. And also, thank you for the advice.”

“You can buy the ales! Course, what am I going to do tonight? I may have to go talk to the wife.”

“Well, over at the Elf and the Dwarf, the is a woman,” Baris began.

“Good god man, you never stop!” Prehil exclaimed.

“No, no, I speak of Elsa. You may remember her working here in the past?”

Prehil looked thoughtful. “Well, yes, that’s not carnival barking, that’s doing a friend a good turn! It’s almost like we’re trading! Anyway, more ale!”

“You’re right, I don’t want to turn into a vulgar mercantyler. Why I heard that some of them watch their apprentices and young ladies in the act of swiving! You ever heard of that?”

“Well, not everyone can afford the courtesans.”

“I would think that some could. It seems to me that they are more interested in watching than doing, if you can imagine that!”

“If my wife found out about that, there would be a lot less than my wife finding out about Elsa, or Maryna, and then there’s that other one. You know Baris, I hope you never get married. But if you do, would you like my wife?”

Baris laughed, slamming his ale down. Foam sloshed over the rim. “I hope I never get married, too.”

“Of course, there is that whole begetting of an heir, thing. My father’s been after me about that.”

“Well there is that,” Baris agreed. “Prehil, on another subject, do you know anything about the knight who lives in my tenant house?”

“Runder you mean?” Prehil replied, referring to Sir Andorkil. “I can tell you this, his father was a perfect rat bastard! Son, of course, is chief clerk of the exchequer, which should tell you all you need to know. He shuffles scrolls all day! Probably doesn’t even do that much, his underlings do that! He’s a knight, there’s that whole working thing. Those who work, those who fight, those who pray!”

“There are some knights who work, aren’t there? Where do the knights under the sheriff fall under?”

“That’s clearly fighting! Though mostly what they do is show up and cow everyone into submission, which is clearly the better part of valor! They are the real deal, good eggs.”

“Unlike Sir Lyndar,” Baris muttered loudly.

“Of course.”

“Do you know any of the sheriff’s men?”

“I know them all.”

“What are they up to these days?” Baris asked.

Prehil sipped his ale, carefully placed it down. “Well, there’s Sir Gort, top man - top dog.”

“Where does Sir Alfred fall in? I’ve heard of him before.”

“Sir Alfred Doulzarn? Good man, knight bachelor, some of his relatives are bailiffs around Jedes, a keep southwest of the city. I’ll tell you something about Sir Alfred, he’s got one of the finest huntsmen in the area, wish I could steal him away. Man by the name of Poul of Jarak.”

Baris perked up. “Perhaps you could introduce me, I used to do quite a bit of hunting myself!

“And let you steal him? Do you think I just fell off the turnip wagon?”

“Perhaps we could all go on a hunt together?” Baris ventured, uncowed.

“You’re a sly dog Baris. I wouldn’t introduce you to him unless you had three or four more Elsa’s in your bag.”

“Elsa is unique and irreplaceable” Baris stated matter-of-factly.

“I’m glad I found out where she went! No one here wanted to talk about it.”

The pair continued to speak of swiving and other (k)nightly affairs until quite a bit of ale had been consumed. Sirs Baris and Prehil parted ways at the Elf and the Dwarf, Prehil stepping in with perhaps just a little skip. Baris continued on to the house of courtesans to catch up with (or catch) Maryna.

Kaldor, Tashal
The Elf & the Dwarf

Tora was sitting in a corner of the tavern, nursing a warm ale. She looked up as Sir Prehil came in, but he pointedly ignored her. Instead he conversed briefly with the proprietor, and then went straight upstairs, a leer on his face.

A short time later, one Sergeant Yerick entered the tavern. He fidgeted and looked over his shoulder more than once.

“Hello Yerick, did you talk to anyone about what we talked about a few days ago?” Tora asked as the man sat down.

Yerick blanched. “Yes, but keep your voice down!”

“What happened?” Tora asked, more quietly this time.

“Well, I was told that on account of my long and loyal service, no punishment would be meted out at this time, nonetheless I was put in charge of the latrines.”

Tora’s eyes widened. “This is bigger than we thought,” she said seriously.

“Yes, there are Morgathians involved!”

“We didn’t know at the time,” Tora said softly.

“You also didn’t tell me that the reason Morgathians are involved was partly because of your employer!” Yerick said, his voice rising.

Tora looked confused. “How so sarge?”

“Your employer, and his friend, apparently dealt with an infestation of Morgathian cultists at Abriel abbey and let some escape, and they are running rampant across the countryside!” He paused a moment to let that sink in. “The moment they heard about it, they put it all together. They’re watching you! You’re in serious trouble, you got to be careful.”

“The Sheriff’s men are watching me?”

“Fuck the sheriff’s men!” Yerick swore. “No, the Laranian hierarchy! They gave your boss’s friend a manor to keep him close, but it didn’t work!”

“Are they planning to do anything about Sir Ewen?” Tora asked.

“They have no evidence. They have a group of cultists under watch in the city. So far your boss and his friend haven’t had any contact with them, except one, and that’s suspicious! Before you ask, I don’t know his name. Some lawyer.”

“Sarge, thank you for coming here and telling me this. I know you’re sticking your neck out. Ale is on the house.”

Sergeant Yerick nodded. “Freaking Morgathians, might as well be Tharda!”

“It’s a corrupt age, sarge, you never know who your friends are.”

“To tell the truth, I may be looking for work myself soon. Maybe we should pair up and seek greener pastures!”

Tora motioned for the barkeep to bring Yerick a few more ales.

As the sergeant raised the first mug to his lips, Kaelyn and Cekiya walked through the door. Kaelyn asked after Sir Baris, and Tora told the mage that she had last seen Sir Baris at Galopea’s Feast.

After he finished his ales, Yerick rose on unsteady legs. “You will find me at the Coin and Broom in the future.” He wagged his finger. “Don’t come to the Laranian temple.”

After Yerick left Tora looked, staring into the swirling ale and foam. She was stricken to hear that her church was intriguing against her employer. It was disturbing. But then she thought that it was not Larani herself that had done this, but the hierarchy of the temple - men she already distrusted. She eventually decided that she was perfectly happy to intrigue against them.

As she thought, she idly scanned the room, watching for trouble, but saw nothing brewing. There was a man with a military bearing, but what drew her eye was his broadsword. A broadsword was a chivalric weapon, and should only be carried by a knight or his retainers.

She rose and strode across the room, making herself seen to head off trouble. “Everyone having a good time?” she asked, perhaps a little pointedly.

“You could be slinging drinks or something,” Gathric said. Tora glared at him and he wandered off, muttering, “We need more women.”

Tora kept an eye on the man with the broadsword. He did not leave, but neither did he cause trouble.

Elsewhere, Sir Baris sat at the foot of Maryna’s bed, his head in arms. “Don’t worry dear, it happens to everyone.”

Sir Ewen was having considerably more luck, and spent an enjoyable evening at Hag Hall with his sister, the Lady Rahel.

As the two lay in each others arms, Ewen updated her on the goings on of the party. He mentioned that he had again clairvoyed the Baron of Tonot, and wanted to do it again. Rahel thought this would be a delightful parlor game, and she agreed to help him. The siblings knelt in the bed, eyes closed, hand in hand. With Rahel’s assistance, Sir Ewen calmed his mind and opened up his being to the power of the Deryni within.

He stretched his spirit out into the ether and across the miles. Slowly a face appeared. It was a girl’s face. Ewen recognized the face of the girl who had brought the Baron wine during a previous vision. Her eyes were closed, her mouth was open, and her bosom was heaving.

Apparently the baron and his wife did not get along, but the Baron and his mistress got along famously.

That night, Sir Ewen slept next to his sister, while his lady wife slept alone.

Peonu 13, 732

Kaldor, Tashal
Raven Hall

At the breakfast meeting, Sir Ewen looked on top of the world, while Sir Baris looked like the world was on top of him. Tora looked troubled.

“Sirs, I may have some bad news. My liege, I have to apologize, I have made your problems more, not less. I spoke with my old sergeant of the Order of the Lady of Paladins. He came to the Elf & the Dwarf at risk to himself. This is who I inquired with about the murders - at my request he went to hierarchy of Larani to warn them, and maybe get information, and he was rudely slapped down! As we have discovered, the Laranian hierarchy has their own ideas of what is going on, and they believe Sir Ewen is in it up to his neck! And, of course by implication, Sir Baris.”

“Ewen mutilates the bodies of his victims?” Kaelyn asked innocently.

“Apparently you disrupted an abbey of Morgathians,” Tora continued. “The Laranians believe some Morgathians escaped and went to ground here in Tashal, including, your lawyer, Marhet of Lak!”

“That’s ridiculous, these murders began in 730, and we didn’t disrupt the abbey until 731,” Kaelyn said.

“Nevertheless, we are all being watched,” Tora said.

“All of us, or just Sirs Ewen and Baris?” Kaelyn asked.

“I suspect all of us, because they are looking for connections,” Tora said. “They are trying to find out if and how we are in contact with the Morgathians.” She paused. “There was a man carrying a broadsword in the tavern all night.”

Baris looked to Sir Ewen, who nodded slightly. Tora noticed the look.

“Thank you for bringing this to our attention,” Ewen said. “I assure you that the Laranians’ suspicion is entirely false.”

“I certainly thought so, sir.”

“Having said that, what Yerick told you was true, we believe some of the Morgathians, whom Sir Baris and I largely slew, did escape the abbey that day.”

“But you don’t think they are doing these murders?” Tora asked.
“We don’t know,” Ewen said. “We shouldn’t jump to any conclusions. All we can say with certainty at this point is that we don’t know what the Morgathians who escaped have been doing- they have no doubt been up to no good. It is gravely concerning, however, that the Laranian hierarchy is entertaining these suspicions. And given my position, it is now incumbent upon us to resolve this situation. I can not have such a suspicion hanging over us - hanging over me.”

“It’s not the first time the Laranians have made this mistake,” Baris said harshly.

“I’ve also experienced the Laranian hierarchy’s ability to jump to conclusions,” Tora said.

“Sir Baris shared with you the reason he did not attend the High Mass,” Ewen stated.

Baris stared at his ale, his mouth a thin line, his eyes distant. The rack flashed before his eyes, and he saw the maniacal grin of his tormentor. He quickly quaffed his ale.

“This is good to know,” Tora said to Ewen. “We shall have to clear this up as quickly as possible, to clear your good name.”

Ewen looked at Tora carefully, considering how far she could be trusted. “What I am about to say, I will require you to take an oath of silence.”

“With Sir Baris’s permission, you have my word.” Tora looked to Sir Baris, who nodded.

“As you know I am originally from Tharda. I am also from a Deryni family - do you know what that means?”

“I think so,” Tora said carefully. “They are a race of wonderworkers, are they not?”

“Those of Deryni blood have abilities not specifically like those of Kaelyn, but similar. It is important to me that I have an image of the man you saw in the Elf and the Dwarf last night. I can get that image from you. You will not be harmed, but I will have to touch you.”

Tora looked again at Baris. “Sir Baris, is it your desire that I should do this?”

Baris nodded. “It is.”

Ewen rose, strode over to Tora and placed his hand on her shoulder. He closed his eyes and prepared his mind, achieving a near perfect calm. He stretched his mind into the woman’s. The image of the man in the tavern was right at the surface, and the knight could see him perfectly. He did not recognize the face.

While he was in Tora’s mind, Ewen placed blocks, preventing her from revealing the information he had just imparted. For good measure, he searched her mind, seeking any ill intentions toward himself and his companions, and whether she had broken vows in the past. He learned that Tora did not have any duplicitous intentions, but nor did she trust Ewen, as she did not know him. She had not broken her vows in the past. Ewen intrinsically understood that her dismissal from the Order of the Lady of Paladins was wrong, and not Tora’s fault. She had been a scapegoat. This fact was something she felt viscerally.

Ewen broke the contact. Tora felt calm. Although she did not trust Ewen, she would not betray what she had just learned.

After Ewen sat down, Kaelyn updated the party on what she had learned from Laseral.

Around noon later that day, Baris took Sir Ewen’s squire Uldis out of the city to train. The squire performed quite well. The knight again was amazed at the valley between the squire’s social skills and his horsemanship.

Kaelyn made her way to the Temple of Halea to converse with Nalima. Cekiya followed a few lengths back to keep an eye on her.

Once at the temple, Kaelyn went in while Cekiya waited outside.

Inside the temple Kaelyn met the handsome Solithar. “Mistress Kaelyn,” he said, “a pleasure to see you again.”

“The pleasure is all mine,” Kaelyn replied honestly.

“Mistress Kaelyn, perhaps we can explore the blessing of the goddess?”

“If I have time, I would certainly enjoy that.”

“I will be available, but I’m sure you have pressing business,” he said.

“I need to speak with Nalima,” Kaelyn confirmed.

“Come with me.” The Solithar took Kaelyn to a sitting room and swept out. A short time later he returned with Nalima in tow. “The Shenasene Nalima,” he said with a wink and then left the women alone.

“Welcome, mistress Kaelyn,” Nalima greeted.

“Shenasene.”

“Do you have news for me or is this …” her voice trailed off questioningly.

“I have news and questions both,” Kaelyn confirmed. “Which would you prefer first?”

Nalima gently took Kaelyn by the arm. “Let us do both, but let us do both in comfort.” She led the young woman deeper into the temple. They passed some giggling acolyte girls scrubbing the floors, and as they passed a curtained off room heard the quiet moans of worship. Eventually the pair came to a room dominated by a square pool in which several nude girls and women were bathing.

“Jinkies!” Kaelyn exclaimed. A young acolyte helped her out of her clothes, and the mage stepped into the bath.

A short time later, Nalima began the conversation again. “Why don’t we have your questions first?”

“Very well,” Kaelyn said. “Are you aware when the Morgathian theory first appeared? During what murder? I have received conflicting information.”

“Well, I know it was last year, but I can’t remember exactly when,” Nalima replied.

“There were three incidents last year.”

Nalima thought for a moment. “It was definitely later. Yes, it was later.”

“When did the sheriff’s guard get involved?”

“Oh, almost from the very beginning.”

“Was there an independent investigator?”

“Oh, I believe there was one. The first murder was not taken seriously beyond itself, the second raised alarms, and I believe the sheriff’s guard brought in someone more skilled in this sort of investigation. I don’t know what happened to him though.”

Kaelyn considered that for a moment. “Has a high ranking member of the Laranian temple visited lately?”

“Such visits are not unheard of, but they are rare, and none has happened within the last several weeks.”

Kaelyn nodded. An acolyte began massaging her shoulders. “A woman told me a story about a man murdering his wife in an almost similar murder. She had a young son around that time, and it’s entirely possible the son witnessed it.”

Nalima shook her head. “That must be a coincidence.”

Kaelyn changed the subject. “I believe that the suspicion of Morgathians came around the time of the events at Abriel abbey after the tournament of Olokand.”

“Oh, that makes perfect sense!” Nalima exclaimed. “But you have no real evidence of Morgathians?”

“Not here in Tashal, no.”

“Oh, of course not.”

After a fine bath and massage, Kaelyn made her way to the temple of Save K’nor.

Peonu 13, 732

At breakfast the next morning, the party discussed the various leads on the Ogre that they had gathered in the past few days, and what their next steps could be.

The party discussed the possibility of Sir Ewen meeting Marhet of Lak. He could speak to him about the legal implications of his new marriage. When the two shook hands, Ewen could read the man and determine whether he was a Morgathian. However, the party eventually decided that the downside of this plan outweighed the upside. They could confirm what they already suspected - that Marhet was innocent- but the meeting would undoubtedly be witnessed by the Laranians, and would seem to them to confirm their theory that the party was in league with Morgathians.

Baris suggested that, with Ewen’s permission, he could arrange a hunt with the Sheriff, Alfred, and his huntsman, Poul, and Prehil, along with Ewen, Imarë and Tora, of course. Baris thought that such an outing would be a good way to begin investigating exactly what sheriff suspected about the party, and could perhaps alleviate his suspicions.

“However,” Ewen began, “the Laranians suspect we are Morgathians, and here we are inviting them into the woods, alone ...” his voice trailed off.

“Ah, but they do not know that we know their suspicions,” Baris replied, smiling.

Sir Baris, accompanied by Tora, went to speak with Sir Alfred. He made his way to the headquarters of the Sheriff, which was located just north of the Balasa Gate. There was a barracks and a stable for the knights’ horses. He knocked on the door and a wizened old man answered, “Hello, who are you?”

“Good morrow good sir,” Baris said. “I am Sir Baris Tyrestal. I was hoping to speak to Sir Alfred Doulzarn.”

The man looked at Baris carefully under his bushy eyebrows. “Are you actually a knight?”

Baris blinked. “I am.”

“Oh, hello guvna. Who are you looking for?”

Baris suppressed a sigh. “Sir Alfred,” he repeated.

“Come in,” the old man said, motioning Baris through the door. “What did you say your name was again?”

“Sir Baris Tyrestal.”

“Lolly, Sir Bare-ass would like something to drink!” the old man yelled to the other room.

The knight suppressed a smile. An ancient wizened woman entered with an ale cupped in her skinny hands. If she was not the old man’s sister then she was his wife. Baris took the mug and sipped slowly. It was passable ale.

Lolly clasped her hands, smiling. “Do you like the ale?”

“Certainly, lady.”

“That’s nice, drink up.”

Baris drank, humoring the woman.

“Are you finished?” Baris nodded, and the woman brought more ale. “Drink up!”

Baris sipped this ale.

The old woman looked exasperated. “If you want to be part of the sheriff’s guard you’re going to have to work a lot harder then that!”
Baris blinked, nonplussed, but continued to sip his ale.

After a little bit, the old man returned. “Is Lolly taking good care of you Sir Bare-ass?”

“Yes, she is.”

The old man looked right into Baris’s mug. “She’s not keeping it filled, is she? I’ll go talk to her. Meanwhile, Sir Alfred will be right down.”

The old man went off, presumably to scold Lolly.

At that point a heavily-built man came into the room. He was shorter than Baris, with brown hair and eyes, and a medium complexion. He was neither handsome nor homely. He wore fine clothes, a scabbarded bastard sword swung at his left hip, and a dagger was tucked into the right.

“Sir Alfred,” Baris greeted him.

“Sir Bare-ass,” Alfred said.

“Baris.”

“Oh. I don’t know a Bare-ass.”

“I am Sir Baris Tyrestal, I am a knight residing at Raven Hall. My friend, Sir Prehil, tells me you have a most excellent huntsman, and I would like to invite you to hunt on the lands of my friend Sir Ewen Ravinargh. You know, they say his huntswoman is an elf.”

“Sir Baris, what a generous offer, I would be delighted to take you up on this invitation. I will certainly bring my huntsman, Poul. I am at a loss, though, as to why you would ask me?”

“Sir Prehil mentioned the hunting prowess of you and your man Poul,” Baris explained. “I recalled fondly my days hunting with a sheriff in my homeland, and those memories conjured a strong desire to hunt once again.”

“I can understand; I would feel the same way,” Alfred said.

“So we are in agreement?”

“We are in agreement we want to go hunting.”

“I was thinking maybe three or four days hence.”

“I could arrange that. What would be our quarry?”
Baris thought for a moment. “A stag?”

“A stag would be most appropriate. We would leave Tashal three days hence?”

“Yes.”

“I would be happy to come along,” Alfred confirmed. “My only stipulation is that I would need to be back in Tashal no later than the twenty fifth.”

Baris calculated, trying not to move his fingers. “That shouldn’t be a problem,” he said finally.

“Well then, Sir Baris, I must say I am delighted at this opportunity to meet Sir Ewen. I understand he won the tournament at Olokand.”

“Yes, and I was in the final sixteen,” Baris said, a bit miffed.

“That’s good too!”

“We will meet at the Ternua gate on the seventeenth at the third bell.”

Peonu 14-16, 732

During the following three days the party made preparations for the trip to Varayne. Sir Ewen sent word to Lady Afaewynn to make ready. Baris sent an invitation to Prehil, who sent back word that not even the charms of Halea’s heavenly quim would keep him away.

Thilisa decided to remain in Tashal.

Peonu 17, 732

Kaldor, Tashal
Ternua Gate
Third Bell

The knights and their retinues assembled at the Ternua gate. They left Tashal and traveled to Varayne, arriving at midday.

The hunt was called for the morning of Peonu 18.

Those going to Varayne consisted of Sir Alfred, Poul, Sir Prehil, Sir Ewen, Sir Baris, Tora, Imarë, Uldis, Cekiya, and Kaelyn.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle