Session Eighty-Five - October 22, 2011

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Eighty-Five - October 22, 2011

Postby Matt » Thu May 03, 2012 12:09 am

Peonu 23, 732

The party sits in a stunned silence after Imarë departs. They take a moment, each lost in his or her own thoughts with sad eyes. Tora’s eyes widen after a moment’s thought. She realizes that she, she, went hunting with one of the fey folk. Ever since she met Cekiya in that bar her life has become entangled in things beyond her normal, safe day to day experience. She looks at the bow in her hand and the arrows sitting on the table in front of her. The bow is longer than what she is used to. She runs a hand down the well-crafted wood and finds strength in the Yew. Tora also estimates that this bow is a bit lighter than her previous one. She reaches out a hand for an arrow. The movement startles the rest of party back to the present. As Tora inspects the finely crafted arrow, Kaelyn begins to speak. She tells the party of what she and Cekiya found in the crypt of Peoni. Cekiya adds in her viewpoint and opinion of the “mendicant” they found. Kaelyn also brings up what she learned from her visit to Halime. She remembered as she was drifting off to sleep the night before that she knew of Karejia, the land Casca and his brothers were from. The people from Karejia, or the Karejian League as it was known, sent ships to Thay among many other trading ports. An island nation off the southern coast of the Lythian continent, Karejia was both far away and slightly exotic. The party discusses this little bit of information for a while until the cook comes in and informs the party that the urchins are here and want to speak to the ‘urchin lady.’ Kaelyn gets up and heads to kitchen. She tells the urchins that that the urchin lady has gone to the Blessed Realm. She sees the story and the legends begin to form in their heads of Imarë as they take in this information. Kaelyn asks what news they have. They tell her that the man the ‘Urchin Lady’ wanted them to follow went to the Busted Nut and stayed until very late. They peaked in a little bit and saw that he stayed at the table the whole time. When he left, he went straight home. Kaelyn thanks them and makes sure that they get the extra treat promised them and then leaves for her room.

After Kaelyn leaves for the kitchen, Cekiya decides it is time for her to go visit the Lady C, even though it is raining very heavily. Thinking that this is a special visit, she leaves by the front door and enters the grounds of the Lady Cheselyne by the front gate. She even rings the bell for the majordomo. The door opens and the majordomo looks down at Cekiya, ‘Yes?’ he intones.

‘I have come to see Lady Cheselyne.’

‘Are you not one of Sir Ewen’s servants? Do you carry a message from him?’

‘No.’

‘I am afraid the Lady is not available.’

‘I have a message from Imarë.’

‘The Elf?’ He pauses, ‘I will see. Wait here.’ He shuts the door and leaves Cekiya out in the rain.

He opens the door again after a seemingly long time, ‘You may come in. Not far and please try to keep from dripping on the carpet.’

‘If you wouldn’t leave people out in the rain then maybe they wouldn’t drip on the carpet,’ Cekiya says with a perfectly logical tone of voice. The majordomo makes no reply and shows Cekiya to Lady Cheselyne. Cheselyne is in front of the fireplace, almost posing in a haughty stance.

‘Ah, it is one of Sir Ewen’s little people, I believe his littlest.’

‘It’s not always the size of the package that matters.’

Lady Cheselyne does not look all that amused at Cekiya’s witty response, ‘What do you want dear?’

‘I have a special message from the elf Imarë.’

‘What is it dear?’

‘She’s gone.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘One of her elf friends came by and took her to the Blessed Realm.’

‘I find that hard to believe.’

‘It is much more blessed than Kaldor.’

‘I still find it hard to believe dear, this blessed plot, this demi-eden, Kaldor is blessed. Never mind, so she went to the ‘Blessed Realm’ and won’t be back for a while,’ Lady Cheselyne says with an amused tone.

‘It’s a shame you weren’t there, you would of appreciated the moment.’

‘Of course.’

‘Don’t be flip. She won’t be coming back.’

Lady Cheselyne somehow manages to stand up straighter, ‘Don’t forget you place.’ The she remembers. ‘Oh yes, you’re the servant who is not quite right.’

‘I’m always right.’ Cekiya mutters, ‘She wanted you to have this gift.’ Cekiya hands over the delicate silver necklace.

‘You are dismissed. Thank you dear,’ Lady Cheselyne says as she turns and goes upstairs.

Cekiya returns to Raven Hall soaking wet.

The rest of the day passes in silence, occasionally broken by the sounds of Lady Thilisa finding the bucket near her bed.

Peonu 24, 732

The day dawns clear and foggy.

Tora and Baris decide this will be a good day to get outside the city walls. Baris suggests that the squire and some of Ewen’s men might want to come. He talks to Potelc and finds that a few men at arms would like to stretch their legs out in the forest. Before they leave, Tora says a quick Laranian prayer to ward against evil before taking up her new bow.

Sir Ewen sends an invitation to Sir Prehil to have dinner with him at Galopea’s Feast that evening. Ewen, with the pleasant portion of his day set in motion, walks to the College of Heralds for his monthly verbal sparring match with Sir Rohn.

Inside the College of Heralds, Ewen is greeted almost immediately by Sir Rohn. After the normal pleasantries, Ewen states that the purpose of this visit is to marshal his arms.

‘I was afraid of this.’

‘Isn’t this your specialty, Sir Rohn?’

‘Yes’

‘Then what are you afraid of.’

‘Let us just say that after your departure, you were the topic of conversation. Including the ones the Earl was having with himself. I’ll cut right to the point: the Earl was heard to say – shout really – “If I ever see that hedge knight son-of-a-bitch bearing my arms, I’ll run him through.”’

‘Yes, I do believe that my father-in-law is a bit prickly,’ Ewen says with a straight face.

‘At least he is one father that I can pinpoint in your family tree. Ah, speaking of your family tree. I received a strange letter recently,’ Rohn walks over to a ledger sitting conveniently nearby with a page marked, he opens the book. ‘It is a letter from Lord Graver – not from the College of Heralds – but the Lord Baron of Quste, one Auram Graver.’

‘A most astute gentleman.’

‘Indeed. For some reason the inquiry I made went to him.’ Sir Rohn gives Ewen a look most often given by mothers to young sons, the look that says I know you did something I am not sure what so I can’t punish you but I will figure it out.

Ewen ignores the look and simply says, ‘A good many things pass his desk.’

‘He claims your parentage – it is implied that it is a state secret – that you are the illegitimate son of the Earl of Tormau. A noble who died after trying to kill the King, the same king that knighted you, I may add.’

‘Not all acorns fall close to the tree. Far be it for me to vouchsafe, I mean gainsay, anything that comes from Lord Graver.’

Sir Rohn smirks, ‘I can certainly understand that you can feel that way. I had to read it five times and it is still not any clearer.’ He puts the ledger back on the table with the letter marking the page.

Ewen smiles, ‘One can’t choose ones relatives.’

Sir Rohn almost laughs at that, ‘Yes, about your arms,’ he points to the arms of the late Earl of Tormau, ‘these look nothing like yours.’ After getting no response but a raised eyebrow from Ewen, Sir Rohn continues, ‘The Earl of Vemion’s disappointment in a son-in-law aside, you wish to marshal your arms?’ Sir Rohn, not waiting for an answer, pulls out another letter, ‘This is from the Baron of Stimos indicating that he will donate the money to the college to cover the cost.’

Ewen manages a look of mild surprise, ‘That is most generous of him.’

‘He is not one of your fathers is he? You wish the usual marshaling assignment?’

‘Yes’

‘You wouldn’t think of perhaps mollifying the Earl slightly?’

‘How do you suggest I do that?’

‘Don’t marshal your arms.’

‘Ah, then, no. I must marshal my arms, my father-in-law’s disappointment notwithstanding.’

‘Well, the fee is to be paid, the request made, the Earl can’t say no – request granted. It’s your funeral.’ Sir Rohn quickly sketches out the arms and gives Ewen a look for approval. ‘It should be just a few days. Come back on the 27th. If you have someone bring a shield over the one of the apprentice heralds can paint it up.’

‘Thank you. I shall send Filen by with one.’

‘You are an enigma. Oh, this Thardan connection has me thinking; you are not planning on leaving anytime soon.’

‘No, I plan to be in Kaldor for some time yet.’

‘Good. I can’t think of what I did for entertainment before you.’

Ewen gives Rohn a very deep courtier’s bow. This time Rohn does laugh.

As Ewen leaves he looks over to the castle. He sees no standard flying in the fog but does notice members of the guard riding by. Sir Alfred looks at Ewen as he rides by but does not acknowledge him. Sir Alfred has four men with him as he rides out the Heru gate. Ewen smiles a little as he adjusts his path toward Habor’s shop to get a new surcoat made. Habor is shocked at the news Ewen brings. He hadn’t heard the happy news and promises to deliver the surcoat personally.

The rest of the day passes uneventfully. Near early evening Baris and Ewen depart for Galopea’s Feast to meet Sir Prehil. Sir Prehil is already seated at a table drinking with Marina seated very close to him.

‘Ewen! Baris! Come on over and try to catch up!’ Prehil shouts out his greeting as the two knights make their way to the table.

‘Prehil, how are you?’

‘I wax, Sir Ewen, I wax and then Marina does. Don’t you dear?’

‘Well, Baris and I are famished and could use a waxing ourselves.

‘Oh wait you did! How is the Lady Thilisa?’

‘She waxes.’

‘Perhaps you should pay her a visit.’

‘Not a good idea. She is finding her pregnancy trying.’

‘That’s a long time for you. Is she waxing at Raven Hall or wait, do you know about the other place?’

‘She’s at Raven Hall, she doesn’t want to go out.’

‘No I suppose not. Is anyone at the other place.’

‘Why?’

‘I don’t want to pry, or talk out of school, but I thought it should be guarded.’

‘Ah…’

‘It is all under control?’

‘I will see to it, thank you Prehil for your concern.’

‘So, how have you been?’ Baris asks Sir Prehil.

‘I told you, I wax. You need more ale,’ Prehil turns and as a serving girl passes, takes the tray from her and sets it at the table.

Ewen smiles and takes another ale, ‘I went to see Sir Rohn today.’

‘Capital fellow, a little quiet.’

‘We talked about marshaling my arms.’

Prehil spits out his ale, luckily not on any of his table companions. ‘Are you out of your fucking mind?’ He yells.

‘My father-in-law was a bit rash.’

‘By Sarajin’s blue balls! He’ll cut you himself.’

‘I am assuming that the first flash of news was bad.’

‘The first, the second, third, fourth,’ Prehil is still yelling.

‘But it is customary.’ Baris says.

‘Yes, but not required. This is a bit of dancing on the grave, but you know your business. I wonder who will tell him first. It might have to be me, no hard feelings, but his reaction will be worth it.’

‘Well, I won’t get the pleasure, as I am still outcast.’

‘He’d string you up and the King would not object. Vemion’s lands are off limits.’

‘So I have been repeatedly told. Maybe he’ll mellow with time.’

‘He’s not known for his sense of humor, unlike me. I’m the forgive and forget type, just ask my wife. Vemion has four or five grudges in his pocket that he will take to his grave.’

‘Well, he never leaves Minarsas and I’m not going there.’

‘Wasn’t sure I was going to tell you this. It is true he rarely leaves, but he said that he was going to start spending more time in Tashal and keep an eye on things. That’s what I heard him say to his brother Sir Rinden.

‘Keeper of the horse guard.’

‘How long has it been since he has spent any time in Tashal?’ Baris asks.

‘Let me think. Was I an alderman; no – so over ten years ago. When Miginath was king they’d meet once a year. They were good friends. The Earl handed over his feudal payment and they’d have a conference that would last a week or two on the outer edges of Earldom. He is not as close with the current king.’

‘This is before his wife was indisposed?’

‘Yes, though she didn’t always travel with him either. The old king didn’t marry but had several mistresses. The last, Lady Erila Kaphin, the Lady Vemion didn’t like her. Then there are several rumors about her illness.’

‘Yes, I heard. I cannot abide a man who strikes a woman.’

‘Me either, there are better things to do with them.’ Prehil gives Marina a leering grin.

‘If the Earl does come, things might get interesting.’

‘I hope to have a ring-side seat. Just don’t do anything stupid, like challenge him to a duel. Just suffer in silence and make fun of him behind his back.’

Baris signals for another ale, ‘Have you heard any news on Lyndar?

‘Lyndar the lifter? Haven’t seen him. He might have gone back to hiding with mommy.’

‘Who knows where he is, but hopefully nothing has happened to him. I heard a rumor that someone high up had met their end.’ Ewen said.

‘Really, who told you?’

‘A girl I know.’ Ewen replies with a wink.

‘You can do better,’ Prehil says with a bit more steel in his normally easy-going voice. He looks at Marina and tells her to take a walk.

Ewen watches her leave, ‘The girl I know is no surprise. I heard it from Imarë. She told me this and I can’t ask her anymore, so don’t ask that. She has disappeared.’

‘When were you going to tell me this?’

‘Tonight.’

‘Disappeared or some elf thing? Was foul play involved?’

‘She has disappeared in the past, so I can’t say.’

‘It is not my place to say, but an uncommon number of your retainers are stark raving mad.’

‘As far as retainers, she wasn’t bad. If she wanted to go somewhere, she just would. I just found the timing odd.’

‘I’ll look into in a more official capacity. By the way, in an official capacity, I took the liberty of looking in on Sir Alfred and I wouldn’t go anywhere alone for a while.’

‘That bad?’ Baris asks.

‘You should be ok in the day, but night is another matter. I have a sneaking suspicion that he wants to arrest you.’

‘For confronting him like a man?’ This is preposterous! I ran into him this afternoon after speaking with Sir Rohn and he ignored me.’

‘That makes sense, I talked to him a couple hours ago. He is a bit bitter. Second sons usually are, makes me glad I don’t have any brothers.’

‘I intended to speak with Sir Gorvan, I heard he was involved at one point in the initial investigation, but I had no reply to my correspondence.’

‘I’ll take care of it. I’ll ask for a meeting tomorrow morning … no afternoon.’

‘Really? Thank you Sir Prehil.’

‘No problem. It’s not like sharing Marina. Speaking of which, Sir Baris, what do you know of her? She mentioned you at the oddest time.’

‘I have seen her around.’
‘Of course we went to the courtesans’ together, never mind.’

The conversation then turned to other things as dinner was served. Baris walked with Ewen back to Raven Hall, as Prehil’s warning was still fresh in their minds, but nothing out of the ordinary happened.

Peonu 25, 732

Before the sun rises on another clear and foggy day the door to Raven Hall opens and out slips a small shadow. The shadow moves quickly and quietly through the pre-dawn streets. It stops on Ternua road and slips into the penumbrae surrounding the buildings of the city. Cekiya, a shadow safely hidden, watches the shop of Iame for her quarry. Shortly before dawn she sees Iame come downstairs and open the shop door. Soon she sees her quarry, Natto, along with several other lads come out of the side door and enter the shop to begin their workday. She studies the buildings in front of her. The three that hold her interest, the embalmers and the ones flanking it, all are around equal height. There are three windows on both the second and third floors. She ponders them as the sun rises and people begin to move about the street. Cekiya was in the mood to do a little breaking and entering and perhaps a bit more breaking. There were too many people and too much light for her favorite method of entering unknown buildings, so she settles for the direct approach. She moves from her shadowed perch and walks across the street and in the front door. She moves silently up the stairs. On the landing on the second floor she notices that there is no entrance. She thinks that Iame must live here and only he has direct inside access to the shop. Cekiya smiles for no reason and continues to third floor. At the top of the stairs she hears a mewling baby. She ignores the door that holds that sound and moves to the only other door. Inside she finds a table with tallow candles and empty flagons sitting on it. The benches to the table are shoved back in a manner that suggests a lack of tidiness on the residents. Of course, Cekiya muses, the smell of the room might have something to do with that outlook too. There is an empty hogshead sitting not far from the head of the table. She moves to the curtained areas, working from right to left. She finds the sleeping alcoves and after a quick search finds nothing in the chests in front of each of the bunk beds. Finding nothing more, she leaves.

Back at Raven Hall as the party comes down the stairs for breakfast, Cekiya slips in the front door and joins the mini procession into the hall. Baris, having tried to keep up or was that catch up with Prehil was feeling a bit delicate this morning. Kaelyn offered him a bit of a concoction she called hair of the dog. Baris, somehow keeping his wits, remembered her attempts at brewing and wisely declined. Theories and ideas are bounced around the table of what to do with their progress on the Ogre. Baris suggests asking the Lia Kavair for help staking out areas or perhaps using Dickon’s or Potelc’s men at arms. Kaelyn wonders if they do happen to catch him, if they should just turn him over to the priestesses who asked her to look into this matter instead of the guard. Ewen wonders what to do about Sir Alfred and the implications of having a large number of men at arms at his command. As these conversations are taking place around the table, Sir Rollard comes in. Sirs Ewen and Baris greet him, Sir Ewen more energetically than Baris, and ask him to join them as a servant puts a large plate of eggs on the sidebar. Baris, smelling the eggs, begins to turn a bit green, ‘Eggs ... gods.’

‘They ahre fresh.’ Sir Rollard says to Baris, ‘puhhaps a bit of spice would make the smell a bit more pahlatable to you?’

‘Spice would be good.’ Baris replies.

‘Of course they are not like the spices back home.’

‘Oh, you are used to spice?’

‘Oh yes.’

Ewen taking the opportunity that has presented itself in Sir Rollard appearing asks if he could have a word about his lady wife.

‘She does not do well this morning. Ah fear that she would look even greenuh than Sir Baris here if she should herself smell or even see this breakfast.’

‘I am sorry to hear that. Do you think a midwife should be called for?’

‘Ah had considered it, but Ah do not think she needs leeches.’

‘I shall rely on your judgment. I think that she will be indisposed for a time and I do not think she will be visiting her townhouse on Chelebin street anytime soon.’

Sir Rollard’s expression changes from accommodating to what could be described as a brick wall, ‘Ah do not know what youah talkin about.’

‘Nonsense,’ Ewen says with a wave of his hand.

Sir Rollard takes a step back and opens his mouth to talk but Ewen continues, ‘My opinion Sir Rollard, as head of the household, the lady would perhaps be a bit more comforted if her belongings were here in Raven Hall. As the lady is no longer going out, it makes no sense to have a limited guard on her other house. Take my guards and bring the lady’s, our, assets here where they can be looked after more securely until we are able to discuss what needs to be done.

Sir Rollard shifts slightly from one foot to the other, ‘Puhhaps, Sir Ewen, you should discuss this with your lady wife and not me.’

‘Sir Rollard, I don’t believe that my lady wife is in a position at the moment to discuss trivialities. I have expectations that you will assist and oversee this transfer.’

‘Ah…Ah…Ah am afraid Ah cannot do so without authorization from the lady. You understand mah dilemma.’

‘Sir Rollard, I understand and please feel free to seek the authorization you think you need. I will be there early this afternoon.’

Sir Rollard, looking peevish, gives Ewen a half bow and climbs the stairs, breakfast forgotten.

Cekiya, in good spirits from her adventures this morning, follows Sir Rollard. She climbs the stairs and finds the knight leaning with hands and forehead pressed against the door. He straightens and looks at Cekiya, ‘Go on yoo! Yoo are Suh Ewen’s spy. Go away or Ah’ll gut yoo!’ Sir Rollard hand moves to hold the hilt of his short sword.

Cekiya smiles, noting a change in Sir Rollard’s accent, and continues walking down the hall.

After a lengthy breakfast and after Cekiya’s report, Sir Ewen goes upstairs to visit his lady wife. He sits beside her as she rests on her bed, a cool towel resting on her forehead. He noticed that Sir Rollard is nowhere to be found. He talks in a calm voice, explaining what he is going to do and the reasons behind his logic. As he talks, stroking her hand, he uses his unique mind to plant the suggestion in Thilisa’s head that what he says is the best course of action and of course she’ll inform Sir Rollard to go along with Sir Ewen’s wise plan.

After breakfast Kaelyn began the long preparation for her scrying spell. Around early evening she completes her work and looks in on the Earl of Vemion. She sees him with Sir Morgal in the great hall of Minarsas castle. The Earl’s dinner sits before him, untouched and his wolfhounds gather nearby, showing signs of agitation. The Earl’s face holds an expression the young mage would call a combination of concern and uncertainty.

Shortly after the noon bell, Ewen, Baris and Tora walk to the townhouse. Ewen stops and takes his first good look at the building. Standing on the corner, it rises up to three stories tall with a porch on the top floor that comes out about five feet. The building has four doors, with three of the doors on the northeast side. Two doors are made of identical wood and the other two are iron bound. Ewen remembers Cekiya’s report that Finbar came out of the most northeast door. Ewen knocks heavily on the door with the pommel of his sword. A few minutes go by before the door is opened by a large man. Ewen is eye level with the torso of the man and has to raise his head as the man asks gruffly ‘What do you want?’

‘I am your lady’s husband and I am moving her possessions to our home.’

‘Not my orders.’

Ewen smiles, ‘They are now. Stand aside or let me speak to someone who can speak Harnic in complete sentences.’

The man turns to the interior of the house, ‘Fiiinnnnnbbaaaar!’

Finbar comes to the door soon after the tall man bellowed his name. ‘What can I do for you?’

‘I am your lady’s husband.’

‘I know who you are. My orders are very explicit.’

‘And what were those orders.’

‘To protect this house.’

‘I am not a risk to this house.’

‘My orders give no exceptions.’

‘Who gave the order?’ Baris asks still gazing at the large man behind Finbar.

‘You are Sir Baris?’

‘It is I.’

Finbar snorts, ‘It was given by Lady Thilisa, and it has not been countermanded.’

‘The Lady Thilisa and I held counsel this morning. I am to see to matters here. You are welcome to confirm this at your leisure. ‘ Ewen holds Finbar’s eyes and attempts to implant a suggestion without the benefit of touch that Ewen usually needs. He wills to Finbar to accept the new orders and to assist in every way possible. Fate seem to fall Ewen’s way today as the suggestion takes hold in Finbar’s mind.

‘I didn’t realize, Sir Ewen, that a meeting of the minds was held. I am your servant to command.’

Tora and the tall man, introduced as Muga, are looking back and forth between Ewen and Finbar with expressions that the world has ended and everyone has lost their minds.

Finbar turns to face Muga and tells him that Sir Ewen is their master.

Ewen smiles at the two men, ‘Please Finbar, show us around.’

‘As you wish,’ Finbar replies. He leads Ewen and company into the hall. A staircase is to the north and a fireplace on both the east and west wall. There is an oak table with four chairs and another oak table along the southern wall, appearing to be the head table. A lovely chandelier sits above table. Ewen thinks that this is a very nice hall, not as nice as Hag Hall, but nice. There is a door on the southwest side of the wall that leads to the kitchen. Finbar leads Ewen up the stairs to the second floor. Ewen glances around. He sees the loo and three bedrooms. Two are small with bunk beds and the other, Finbar points out as his, is a large room with a double bed , desk and fireplace. Finbar mentions that they rent out the two small rooms to guildsmen.

They continue on to the third floor. At the top of the stairs they turn immediately to the right. They enter a room that Finbar says is Lady Elena’s They proceed forward. Towards the northeast wall there is a fireplace, desk and a chair. Ewen sees the balcony he noticed from the street. On the southern wall there is a curtain. Pulling it back reveals a double four poster bed and a tapestry along the western wall. Finbar pulls back the tapestry to show a stonewall. Ewen’s eyes narrow as all the other walls in the building are wood. Finbar reaches into his pocket and pulls a key that opens the wall, or door. Inside is a five by ten room with a chest and several sacks. Ewen cocks an eyebrow at Finbar, ‘Is this it?’

‘Yes. All her wealth. She instructed me and Muga to move it for her from Osel house.’

‘I am concerned that her pregnancy will confine her to Raven Hall for the next several months. If you and Muga will move all this to her, it will be a great weight off her mind. She misses having her tangible worth near. I will arrange for two carts to transfer this to Raven Hall. I will also arrange for guards for the short journey. ‘

‘Where do you want me and Muga?’

‘I think it would be best if you two remained here after the transfer to protect the property.’

Ewen and company leave for Raven Hall to make the arrangements. Upon arriving at Raven Hall, Sir Ewen finds Sir Prehil arguing with Walin about where to find Sir Ewen.

‘I am here, Prehil and I am ready to go.’

‘There you are! Many irons in the fire?’

‘You don’t know the half of it.’

‘Well, by Halea’s Heavenly Quim, let’s get going,’ Prehil says with a smile as he, Ewen and Baris start their walk to the castle. At the castle gate Prehil tells the guard that he has business inside and that the two knights are with him. Ewen finds this occasion of entering the castle a bit different than before. He doesn’t surrender his weapons. They walk through the inner bailey and at the main gate, Prehil is challenged again, but is quickly waved through. It appears to Baris that it is more of a formality. They go up the stairs of the grand staircase and then turn left towards the room where Ewen met with the Earl of Balim and Bishop. Inside Prehil turns to Ewen, ‘Remind why we are here.’

‘To speak with Sir Gorvan.’

‘Right!’ Prehil turns the man at arms following them, ‘Tell Sir Gorvan that I want to see him.’

The castle guard looks at Sir Prehil, ‘You said that …’

‘Don’t talk back to me!’

The guard blanches and leaves quickly.

A half an hour later two knights in mail armor and armed show up looking very serious.

‘Sir Prehil, I hope you are not wasting my time.’

Sir Prehil, relaxing in one of the chairs, ‘It is my time to waste Sir Gorvan.’ Prehil nods to the other knight, ‘Sir Hedare.’ A smug looks flits across Prehil’s face.

Sir Gorvan grimaces slightly and looks at Ewen and Baris before looking back to Prehil. ‘I hope not. I will not take to my time being wasted.’ The knight looks at Ewen, ‘Clearly this is all about you.’

‘I’m Sir Ewen.’

‘Is that a fact. I’m not surprised.’ Sir Gorvan shoots Prehil a look, ‘You won the tournament.’

‘Thank you, I did.’

‘Thank me not. I don’t think that it qualifies you for royal favors.’

‘Am I accused of that?’

‘You would not be in my presence otherwise.’

Ewen smiles, he feels that he is going to like this blunt man, ‘I know how valuable your time is. I will get straight to the business that brings me here. Upon my return from Minarsas, a retainer of mine was asked to look into a matter. She was asked to find the identity of a killer that has been killing couples about once a month. She naturally wished to find out how and what the sheriff’s men knew about it so she could, if possible, stay out of their way. She found out that you and your men were involved but seemed to have lost interest and it was in the hands of Sir Alfred. A little more digging and it was discovered that, in Sir Alfred’s opinion, I was behind it all and that I was a Morgathian. The only proof that he has of this was the incident that happened at Abriel Abbey and that some of the morvin got away.’ Ewen pauses and looks over at Sir Gorvan. The knight is listening, which, at the moment, is all Ewen could hope for. ‘Anyway, I found this rumor obnoxious and I confronted Sir Alfred on this drivel. Sir Prehil can confirm as he was there. So you understand, Sir Gorvan, why I feel hounded. This is now a manner of honor. I appeal to you as the former investigator. I have no intention of bothering the Royals with this matter, but my friends.’

Prehil sits up in his chair and exclaims, ‘By Ilvir’s baggy drawers! I had no idea!’

Sir Gorvan looks at Sir Hedare before turning back to Ewen, ‘Well, this was not what I was expecting. Sir Ewen am I to believe that you have become embroiled in the hunt for the Ogre of Tashal?’

‘Yes, my retainer, Kaelyn of Aletta, was asked to look into the manner. It was my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong, that you briefly headed up the investigation and discredited the theory of the Morgathians.’

‘Please Sir Ewen, Sire Baris, take a seat. Sir Hedare, if you would, bring refreshments. Sir Ewen, I do not believe in cultivating influence in Tashal or for that matter with its priests. I report facts, solid facts.’

‘A sensible idea.’

‘You were drawn into this, no doubt against your will.’

‘Absolutely. I was not taking a part in any of this, but letting my retainer amuse herself. Until my honor was debased and when I tried to clear the matter, I was warned off by Sir Alfred.’

‘Sir Alfred is a good man; a bit rigid in thought.’

‘Prehil mentioned that Sir Alfred is entertaining the thought of having me arrested.’

‘That’s what I heard. I just brought it to light,’ Prehil says still seated comfortably.

Sir Gorvan nods, ‘I would of liked to have captured him. Sir Alfred and I had a different viewpoint of how to best accomplish this. I, however, am no longer involved in the day to day investigation.’

‘He needs to be stopped before he kills someone important,’ Baris says, joining the discussion for the first time.

‘I agree,’ Sir Gorvan says.

‘I mean we have heard the rumors of someone highly ranked …’ Baris trails off.

‘I have no idea what you mean.’

‘Sir Baris, has an endless appreciation for all rumors,’ Ewen says drolly.

Sir Gorvan glances at Prehil, who is staring at the ceiling. ‘Maybe so, but you come here bringing tales of murder and mayhem and then shy away from the murders you may have knowledge of. Forgive me, but I cannot hope to help unless you tell me all you know.’

‘Baris actually told you all we know. A highly ranked person was killed but it was being hushed up. But this has no bearing to the Ogre mystery, which is my business here. I give you my word as a knight.’

Sir Gorvan purses his lips and looks up, then down and finally meets Ewen’s eye. ‘I knew that, but it is interesting that you speak of it. A highly placed nobleman who has been killed. No, not why or how it is connected to you. Sir Ewen, Sir Lyndar was found murdered just inside the walls. Don’t worry, I know you both were elsewhere. Just as I know, you and Sir Lyndar had … words.’

‘I told him that I’d be happy to face him as a man and take his life anytime he chose.’

‘We know, and that is not the issue. The issue was he was found with his throat slit.’

‘That is its own issue, the coincidence. I have also been denied the satisfaction of killing him myself.’

Sir Gorvan smiles for the first time this meeting, ‘I would feel the same way. Gentlemen, this is not why you are here.’

‘Correct. I have sought you out for your insight and advice. My honor has been entangled in another bloody mess.’

‘You may count on my testimony to expunge you of the taint of Sir Lyndar. I have had you followed for several days and there is no implication of you having anything at all to do with Sir Lyndar. You perhaps have not been exemplary in other ways,’ Sir Gorvan gives Ewen a look that spoke volumes.

Ewen ignores the look, ‘I am curious, if you still had the authority of the Ogre case, what would you say.’

‘That it would be someone like Sir Lyndar, not him exactly, and not Morgathians. I say someone close to the investigation. If I were to go further, I might say someone like Wybert of Graon.’

‘Why?’ Baris asks. He knew from Kaelyn, that Wybert gave them several good leads, didn’t he?

‘Whoever the Ogre is, is an intelligent person and can elude the authorities. He understands the authorities are split and can play them off each other.’

‘Thank you Sir Gorvan, this has been most interesting.’ Ewen says.

‘I have been pleased to have met you. I would invite you to, not a tournament, but we have an occasion to practices at butts the day after tomorrow. You and Sir Baris are welcome to join us. ‘

Ewen and Baris thank Sir Gorvan for the invitation and Sir Prehil walks with them off the castle grounds.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle