Session Eighty-Seven - December 17, 2011

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Eighty-Seven - December 17, 2011

Postby Matt » Thu May 03, 2012 12:17 am

Peonu 28, 732

The crescent moon was barely visible; soon it would be gone, setting the scene for murder. The deadline hung over the party’s breakfast. Details were reviewed, ideas proposed, and it was pointed out they had already been disposed of. Casca, Torres, Nanno, Natto, all had been found and investigated. The party discussed the facts as they knew them, looking for an overlooked angle. Nothing appeared promising. Bereft of other ideas, Cekiya declared she would watch Natto, while Kaelyn would order the urchins to continue following Nanno.

Kaelyn set off to see Filen again. Along the way, she mused that if she hadn’t visited him the previous day, Sir Harth would not have been at the ready to rescue Sir Ewen, and their current situation would be much more difficult. She arrived at Filen’s residence and knocked. To her surprise, Marhet of Lak answered the door.

“The housekeeper’s not well today,” Marhet explained. “Something of a nervous breakdown, oddly enough. You can go up.”

Filen sat in his chambers, amidst piles of preserved plants and glassy-eyed taxidermy specimens. He and Kaelyn made some desultory small talk, until Kaelyn came to the point of her visit.

“I’ve been wondering about Sir Lyndar’s health. If he keeps threatening Sir Ewen as he has, it’s hard to imagine him enjoying a surplus of years. Which brings to mind the question: if something unfortunate happened to Sir Lyndar, who would inherit his property? What’s the next weed in the Bastune family patch?”

Filen went to his shelves and unscrolled a vellum sheet displaying the Bastune family line and arms.

“Oh, look,” noted Kaelyn. “They’re yellow.”

“The technical term is or,” Filen replied drily. “On a field or, a leopard rampant gules. The present baron is Othis Bastune, though he insists on being called Sir Greon.”

“Why?”

“No one’s sure. He seems to think Greon is a more heroic name than Othis. You’ve met him; he’s not quite right in the head. He’s married to the Lady Peresta and they have four children: Lyndar, the heir and eldest, a daughter Ameryn, who died young, another daughter, Elalyn, who is married to one Allyn Karondal, and the youngest son Tarien. He should be about fifteen by now. There is also a brother, Sir Brorin, who is dead, but had issue himself, who would then inherit if Sir Othis’s line should default. Tarien would be the next heir, and Elalyn’s husband after that.”

“Very interesting. Thank you. While I’ve got you – Sir Ewen would like to speak with you personally. Please drop by Raven Hall.”

“I’ll be by as soon as I can.”

Her task complete, Kaelyn returned home, eager to study the new dweomers she had recently acquired.

After breakfast, Sir Ewen retreated upstairs to a delightful task. Piled high in one of the townhouse’s upper rooms were treasure chests, the fortune that he had ordered brought hence from Lady Thilisa’s townhouse. With trembling hands, he began to count his newfound assets.

The chests yielded forth a tidal wave of specie. One hundred bags, each containing a poundsworth of silver pennies. Six bags containing fifty Khuzan gold crowns each. Fifty one-pound silver bars, each worth 256d. Eighty one-pound bars of gold, worth 5,120d each. A pile of polished, but unset jewels, and an equally large pile of set jewels, including the courting gifts Sir Ewen had given his wife. The cash alone came to £2,260.

The last chest held no money, just paper. But on the paper was a treasure just as great. Thilisa had put her money to work for her. Included in the documents were mercantyler notes, contracts and accounts, almost all (unwisely concentrated, Sir Ewen thought) with one Pesera of Hendel. Her investments in caravans lay fifty percent in the Silver Way, twenty-five percent in the Fur Road, and twenty-five percent in the Genin Trail. In a normal year the profits from these routes should be about £160, but due to the failure of the fur caravan this year, Thilisa had received only £120. Sir Ewen noted that his lady did not reinvest her profits, but took them in cash.

Sir Ewen grinned. In the piles surrounding him he could see not just treasure, but arms, mercenaries, bribes, fortresses – the tools of statecraft. His marriage kept bearing new fruits. A servant broke his reverie, saying that Filen was calling. Sir Ewen nodded, and replacing the documents, went downstairs.

“You called for me, my lord?” Filen asked.

“Yes, I wanted to talk to you about your recent imprisonment.”

“Most unpleasant, sir. But the company was good.”

“Do you understand why you were imprisoned?”

“They were under the impression we were Morgathians, sir. ‘Morgathian swine’ was the phrase used. Marhet has been in trouble due to his hunchback, but never due to being Morgathian.”

“What is he?

“I believe Save K’nor, my lord.”

“And what of the apothecary and the other one?”

“Holik of Asaner, my lord.”

“Friend of yours?”

“Yes, I know him well. He has occasionally compounded substances for me. We’re having dinner this evening. They have also been released. Sir Gorvan felt he had no reason to hold anyone, and his current task to locate Sir Alfred.”

“Ah, yes. It goes without saying that you and Marhet must be scrupulous in your activities. Sir Alfred will be looking for you, and you were released specifically on my recognizance.”

“Yes, my lord.”

“I would be obliged if you could provide any more info on why Sir Alfred imprisoned you. I understand from Sir Gorvan that Sir Alfred wants to arrest me as well. Were you interrogated by Sir Alfred?”

“Not as much as he would have liked. I had the impression he was going to return that night to continue the questioning. He never did.”

Sir Ewen kept a blank face. “Were there any other prisoners?”

“No. Sir Alfred mentioned a fourth, Cail of Tokal, a friend of Holik’s, and an acquaintance of mine. He’s a physician, and runs a hospice. But he was not taken. We’re all planning to dine tonight, at the Tower Inn, and try to figure out what’s going on and how we can protect ourselves.”

Sir Ewen wished Filen the best, and the man left.

Sir Ewen contemplated how to continue to disguise his role in the disposal of Sir Alfred and his company. While it would seem absurd that he could have singlehandedly disposed of such a band, nonetheless he was the first suspect. Although he was fairly sure his tracks were covered, he resolved to send most of his men from Raven Hall to Dickon House. They would go in ones and twos to avoid suspicion, keeping behind Sergeant Potelc and one more to serve as guards.

That night, a two-pronged team lay in wait for Natto. Sir Baris and Tora took up places in the Elf and Dwarf to watch for him. Cekiya slipped off to the embalmer’s to track him as he left.

Cekiya spotted Natto and another journeyman embalmer leave their residence and walk to the Elf and Dwarf. Hungry, Cekiya stole a ham pie from a window and settled in to wait for her quarry. But Natto refused to do anything out of the ordinary. She soon grew bored, and decided to see what the action was around the Halean temple grounds. Perhaps the murderer was lurking there.

The temple grounds were strangely bright. Cekiya noticed torches had been placed on the walls, and temple guards were at the gate and patrolling the area. It didn’t seem like any murders could take place here tonight. She continued on to the Peonian temple to find similar arrangements, though with bewildered Peonians rather than temple guards. Perhaps the crypt would prove more interesting.

Back at the Elf and Dwarf, Natto and his friend sank one last pint and left. Sir Baris ordered Tora to follow them. Though this was a far different hunting ground from what she used to, Tora did her best to track the pair through the city. They returned to the embalmers and appeared to go to bed. Tora made her way home.

Cekiya crept through the tunnel in the crypt, hoping to leave the city walls and check the amphitheater. As she made her way through the tunnel, she heard someone moving in front of her, towards her, trying poorly not to be heard. Cekiya crouched in the darkness and waited to see who it was. She recognized the figure as a Navite, holding a dagger and she realized he was taking part in a herth-akan, a ritual stalking. For three days, this man would hunt a fellow acolyte of Naveh, and his prey would in turn be hunting him. Since he failed to notice her even as he passed within arm’s length, Cekiya doubted his chances in the contest. She continued down the tunnel.

Cekiya emerged in a thicket of trees and moved toward the nearby amphitheater. The stars gleamed brighter outside of the city. She saw a man crouching behind a tree by the stage, well-dressed, eating something out of a small sack and staring. Cekiya crept near him to see what so held his attention. Nearby a young couple lay intertwined on the ground. She moved around the three, searching for more people, when the girl of the couple said “What’s that?”

“Don’t mind me,” Cekiya said.

The girl screamed; the pair snatched as many of their clothes as they could and fled for the amphitheater. A flock of voyeurs launched like quail out of the surrounding brush, trying to cover their faces. The girl’s partner saw one of them and said “Master Aldin?” The guildsman didn’t stop to reply. Cekiya picked out one of the fleeing voyeurs and followed him, wanting to see how he intended to get back through the locked city gates. All three of the men ran through the village and ended up at the Ternua Gate. One shouted “We’re here!” and the gate opened a crack. Money was exchanged and the gate closed after them. It seemed at night, one could open the doors of Tashal with a silver key.

Having discovered what she wanted to know, Cekiya took the tunnel back into the city and returned to the Elf and Dwarf, only to be told that Natto had left over an hour before.

Raven Hall settled in for the night.

Peonu 29, 732

“Why Sir Baris, what a surprise to see you running for breakfast,” Cekiya said cattily.

“In order to give glory to our host. For noblemen do gain acclaim from the size of their table, and the bounty of the board they set,” said Sir Baris. “And for the richness of the gifts they distribute, no?” he added with a hopeful air.

“Give me a little while to forget getting shot in the leg,” Sir Ewen retorted.

The party was on edge. The moon was gone. If they did not catch the Ogre that night, someone would die. Through breakfast, the party ruminated over what to do.

“Sir Ewen, leave this to us,” Kaelyn said.

“Why?”

“You would do well to be seen in public tonight. Though Sir Alfred’s suspicion may no longer be a problem, there are others who shared his views. For your own protection, stay in plain sight while there is no moon.”

Sir Ewen agreed. The rest of the party split themselves. Kaelyn reluctantly decided to ask Halime for aid, despite the fee she felt sure he would ask. Sir Baris would go to the temple of Sarajin. Cekiya would wait for dark.

A servant whispered in Kaelyn’s ear that the urchins were out back, with news for her. She found bouncing in their eagerness to reveal their findings and gain their reward.

“We watched Nanno and Torres, just like you said,” one said. “Last night Nanno went to the Tower Inn. He was there until late, and then he went home. He was all alone.”

“And Torres?” Kaelyn asked.

“He was bad!” another piped up.

“How bad?”

“He went to the Coin and Broom. Then he followed a guy who left and beat him up. Then he robbed him. Then he did bad things to the man. Then he went back to the Coin and Broom and drank more. Then he went around the corner and went to where the nice whores live. And he didn’t come out until morning.”

Kaelyn gave new orders to the urchins. They were divided into three groups, one each to watch Torres, Nanno and Natto. The urchins agreed, received their treats, and were off.

After breakfast, Sir Ewen retreated to his chambers. He had not had occasion to look in on the Baron of Tonot for some time, and thought it a good opportunity. After trancing, he cleared his mind to allow the image of the Baron to form. However, he could not bend the mystic forces to his will. The Baron remained out of reach. Frustrated, he made plans to display himself that evening. He would go to Galopea’s Feast. He considered companions, but in the end, decided he would dine alone or with a chance companion.

Sir Baris hied to the temple of Sarajin, Tora in tow. Halnir, the young son of Horveal the high priest, admitted them and led them to the Ritual Hall. Along the way they passed eleven statues of female martial figures, which Tora eyed with interest. The boy informed them they depicted the Elkyri, the shield-maidens of Sarajin. They reached the Hall and were seated. A pretty girl brought them a pitcher of ale; Baris recognized her as one of Horveal’s daughters. He smiled at her, and she smiled back, but just then her father appeared.

“Sir Baris! It’s been too long, and I know you’ve been in the city.”

“It has been too long. I have been detained with my duties. Although I was hunting recently. But anyway ...”

“And who is your companion, this shield maiden? Are you a follower of the Gray Slayer, miss?”

“I’m afraid not,” replied Tora.

“No need to be afraid. You can follow him at any time, just embrace the ljarl! Sir Baris, something must bring you here so early in the day.”

“Well, I haven’t been here in a while ...”

“And you couldn’t stay away from the ale any longer!”

“Haha! Yes, but other business brings me here.”

“Not my daughter, I’m sure.”

“No, no. I’m not sure if you’re aware, but there have been a series of unusual murders around the city. My compatriot Sir Ewen has a retainer who was asked to look into it. These happened around temples.”

“This doesn’t have anything to do with the sheriff’s guard being missing, does it?”

“They’re missing? I didn’t hear anything about that.”

“Yes, nine out of the eleven of them.”

“Hmm. That might have something to do with it. How did you come to learn this?”

“Sir Gorvan came by and asked me about it.”

“Sir Ewen and I spoke with him yesterday, but at the time he said they were just on patrol.”

“He said to me that the captain of the guard was down with some sort of malady, and the other guy doesn’t know what to do. It’s a mystery where these guys went off to. Probably to join the Solora crusade.”

“That’s interesting, but this thing, when this man kills young men and women as they swive. It’s quite disturbing.”

“Well, I didn’t know that. Sometimes – not recently –sometimes in the spring, when the air changes, young lovers, as I have heard them termed, have tried to steal into the compound and enjoy themselves, but a couple of blows with the flat of my trusty axe teaches them otherwise. It’s not according to the ljarl!”

“I see. Well, I just wanted to make sure you were on the lookout, but it sounds like you are.”

“No one is killed in my temple unless I want them killed.”

After another round of ale, Sir Baris and Tora left.

Kaelyn hesitated in front of the Spurs, took a deep breath, and entered. The place was empty in midday. A serving wench slept across one of the tables. Kaelyn nudged her awake.

“Is Halime available?”

“He’s probably asleep,” the wench said groggily.

“What time does he get up?”

“When he wants to.”

“Get him up.”

“And you are?”

“Kaelyn of Aletta”

“Oh, I remember you,” the wench said, and went to get Halime. But she came back alone.
“He’s not here. You might try Kesyne’s.”

Kaelyn knew that name; it was a brothel. “Can you tell him I stopped by and need to speak with him before this evening?” she said.

The wench nodded. Kaelyn left.

By the late afternoon, the party had congealed back at Raven Hall, all their tasks profitless. Sir Baris informed Sir Ewen that Gorvan now suspected the sheriff’s men were missing, and some search was taking place. The party discussed courses of action, and decided to allow Gorvan to pursue his investigation in assurance that their role could not be traced. But the fading light of day turned them back to their more insistent purpose. Kaelyn began to panic, sure the Ogre was even now preparing for his night’s play. Eventually, it was decided Cekiya would follow Torres, Sir Baris and Tora would follow Nanno, and Kaelyn would wait in the Elf and Dwarf for Natto. Sir Ewen left for Galopea’s Feast, as had been previously planned.

In addition to tracking Nanno, Sir Baris and Tora resolved to discover a little more about Cail of Tokal, Filen’s unknown friend. Some traits of his fit the profile of the Ogre. They went to Filen’s house, where the nervous housekeeper required the square root of 39 before she would open the door. She informed them that her master and Filen (and presumably, Cail) were at the Tower. They thanked her and made haste to the inn.

At Galopea’s Feast, Sir Ewen loudly called for wine and let the crowd drink in the sight of him. Already present was Aethel Atan, eating with a man Sir Ewen knows by face, but not by name. There were also two well-dressed guildsmen, including Worton Harabor. Aethel said “Sir Ewen, you sit very far away,” and so Sir Ewen moved to join them. Aethel invited him to try their fine Melderyni shenap, and introduced him to his friend, a bearded fellow of scholarly mien.

“Sir Ewen, your reputation has preceded you. Well met to the first knight of Kaldor. I am Lumede of Tiselwaith.”

“You flatter me, sir. I am pleased to make you acquaintance.”

“And I yours, sir, though we don’t travel in the same circles. I am a scholar, a student of the heavens.” He waved his hand airily above his head.

“I am in over my head, sir, between the two of you,” said Sir Ewen.

Aethel said “It will be indeed interesting to see which of you is in over his head,” and grinned like a Cheshire cat. Then he spotted two more newcomers. “Ah! Harapa! And Lady Bresyn! Why, this is becoming a party.”

Sir Ewen had not seen Sir Harapa Indama since he left Minarsas. At the sight of the second, he immediately checked to make sure his shields were secure. Harapa’s companion, Lady Bresyn said “Sir Ewen; always a pleasure.”
Lumede in his turn greeted her chastely.

“I have not seen you since Minarsas,” Sir Harapa said to Sir Ewen. “I understand congratulations are in order.”

“Thank you my lord. I trust the remainder of the festivities were entertaining as well.”

“Oh, they had some entertainment value. None so dear as he fireworks you engendered. But tell me, Sir Ewen, now that you have married the most eligible woman in the kingdom and been banished from her lands, what are your plans? Would you be seeking an office?”

“A very good question, Lord Harapa. It has indeed been a busy year, and for the moment Lady Thilisa and I are quite comfortable here in Tashal and hoping to enjoy some quiet.”

“But you would not be opposed to taking up the reins of responsibility?” Harapa flourished and put his hat on the table.

“I suppose I should say that refusing an honor would be novel behavior on my part.”

“A most noble attitude, Sir Ewen, a most noble attitude.”

The party began to chatter, but deep in the light conversation, Sir Ewen felt a gentle probe against his shields. From who? Ordinarily he would have assumed Lady Bresyn was the source, but he had felt her probes before, and this sensation was not the same. Ewen scanned his companions, but saw no sign of magic. Lumede was talking about his house, on the upper east side. Ewen could tell from his manner that he was infatuated with Lady Bresyn; she in turn did not seem to return his feelings, but clearly had some fondness for the astronomer. Harapa, on the other hand, seemed to be with Lady Bresyn solely as an friend, not a beau.

Lady Bresyn noticed his analytical face and asked “What news from Tharda, Sir Ewen?”

Sir Ewen tried to deflect the question with grace. “No news from Tharda, my lady. Lord Stimos would be the person to apply to for that. But I understand he’s been preoccupied of late.”

Aethel laughs and slapped his thigh. “Yes, he’s been full out in the saddle!”

“Lord Stimos has not seen fit to attend the King’s Grace these past weeks,” Harapa added. “Although as the King returns to Tashal, I ‘m sure Stimos will resume his customary hovering.”

Sir Ewen smiled and said “It would be churlish to deny Stimos’ diversions from time to time.”

“Ewen, that’s awfully broad minded of you,” said Aethel.

“And what view do you take?”

“I find the bestial tendencies of my fellow men to be of endless fascination. I don’t quite understand all this huffing and puffing and wetting and sweating.”

“I confess I do find the intricacies of the mind to be more stimulating. But pace my good friend Aethel, every so often a good romp the hay is therapeutic.”

Their exchange was interrupted by a bellow from the other side of the hall.

“BY THE RUNT OF ILVIR’S LITTER!” It was Prehil. “Nobody told me there was a party tonight!”

“Just in time, Prehil,” said Sir Ewen. “We were talking about wives and romps in the hay”

“Capital things! They should be kept apart at all times.” Prehil seized a mug from a passing wench and leaned in toward Ewen. “I’m making sure the lights are on from here on out. Harapa, old boy, is that a new hat?”

Harapa looked witheringly and said “Would it really matter if it was a new hat?”

“Well, no. I was just asking. Making conversation. What are we talking about?”

“Sex,” replied Aethel. “What did you think we were talking about?

“Oh. I thought we were talking about hats.” Sir Ewen noted that though Prehil and Harapa appeared to dislike each other, they each actually enjoyed the other’s company, though they indulged this with mutual teasing.

Thus went the diversions of the rich and powerful of Tashal, ignorant of the danger that lurked outside their privileged grotto.

Sir Baris and Tora found Filen at the Tower, with Marhet and a man unknown to them. The proprietor, Sepian of Ashel, spotted them at once. He swept over and said “Sir Baris Tyrestal! It has been too long since my humble establishment has been graced by your presence. May I offer you a glass of ale?” He guided them to Filen’s table.

“Sir Baris, will you join us?” Filen said reluctantly.

Sir Baris and Tora were seated, and Filen made introduction all around. As they hoped, the third man was indeed Cail of Tokal. He was middle aged, and portly.

For a moment, no one said anything. Sir Baris was attempting to size up Cail against the physical description of the Ogre; the man didn’t seem a match. Suddenly he realized everyone was waiting for him to speak.

“Oh, a pleasure to meet you. I’m glad you are enjoying the evening. Marhet, I’m hoping in the future we can finalize some of those legal details about Imarë’s interest in the Elf and Dwarf.”

“Of course, Sir Baris. I have been working on those papers ever since I heard that Imarë had departed. I am at your service.”

“Thank you.”

Tora found Cail staring at her. He leaned in and said, in an oddly accented voice, “You have a martial air about you.”

“My thanks, sir. I have been a remken of the Order of the Lady.”

“I thought it might be something like that! I was going to ask. Just a sense I got.”

“You are quite an insightful fellow, sir.”

His accent seemed to say something to Sir Baris, but the knight couldn’t place it. “Tora is a skilled archer,” he added.

“As a remken should be,” Cail replied.

“She took second place in the tournament at Minarsas. There were rumors that the winner was an elf.”

“If true, that hardly counts.”

“Certainly not, sir,” Tora said.

Dinner arrived, and the talk continued. Cail seemed to lose interest in Tora.

Sir Baris judged Cail unlikely to be the Ogre; he made his goodbyes and left. He and Tora went in search of Nanno. As they were leaving, they saw a pair of urchins nearby, lurking around the mouth of Ibuthine Way. Tora walked over to speak to them.

“Good evening, little ones.”

They resisted, but she drew one into the shadows. “Where’s Nanno?” she asked.

“He’s coming down Ibuthine way. He’ll be here any second.”

“Good work. Keep it up.”

Tora returned to Sir Baris and reported. They drew back into the dark to await their target.

Nanno emerged from the street and, much to Tora’s surprise, walked in the door of the Tower. Odd, she thought, not really an establishment that catered to journeymen. She crept toward the window, hoping to see what he was doing inside.

“We won’t share our marzipan with you,” snarled one of the urchins, but she waved them off.

Tora could see Nanno; he sat at the bar by himself. She and Sir Baris returned to the Tower and rejoined Filen and his friends, ignoring their surprise. Sir Baris chattered away with his social inferiors, all the while keeping one eye at the figure at the bar.

Kaelyn had returned to the Elf and Dwarf. No message came from Halime. Unhappy, she sucked at an ale, grumbling. Natto and his companion arrived and took up a station near her. She caught a fragment of their conversation.

“I hope we get luckier tonight,” the other man

“You never know ,” replied Natto.

Kaelyn remained glued in place, hoping to hear more about Natto and his friend’s plans for getting lucky.

Cekiya sped to the Torres’ tenement in the Mason district. In a nearby alley, she discovered four urchins already lying in wait for him. She stealthily came up behind them and, in a child’s voice, said “Can you see him?”

“He’s still in there,” an urchin said.

“Is anyone else in there?”

“Nah, we don’t think so.”

“How long has he been in there?”
“‘Bout half an hour. He got back from the shop and went in. If he does what he did before, we should see him in no more than fifteen minutes.”

“Perfect.”

“The only question is: will he go to the Busted Nut or the Coin and Broom?”

“Well, who’s the fifth wheel?”

“Fifth wheel?” The urchin turned and gaped in surprise. “Didn’t I see you on the roof once? You work with new urchin lady, right?”

“Yeah”
“Why are you here?”

“Because I wanted to check in on him, too.”

“You like marzipan, don’t you?”

“Oh, no. But you four are doing a good job.”

Torres came out onto the street. He looked around, unsmiling, and swaggered up Mason Way. Cekiya followed, despite the urchin’s glares. The urchins followed her, intending to break at Nistora. Soon it was apparent that Torres was going to the Coin and Broom. The urchins took up stations outside, and Cekiya entered the bar to watch her target.

Nanno slowly nursed his ale at the bar of the Tower. Sir Baris and Tora made sure at least one of them could see him at all times. As the odd meal wore on, Marhet and Cail grew tangibly uncomfortable, but Filen remained mellow. Patrons filed in and out of the inn. Finally, around 10:30, Nanno got up, paid and left. Sir Baris and Tora found a reason to excuse themselves and followed.

Nanno dodged down Heru Road, followed by the urchins. He reached Mangai Square and stopped. He loitered at the end of the road, scanning the area. Sir Baris passed him and Tora lagged behind, waiting to see if he would double back. Nanno had seen Sir Baris, and instead Nanno stayed where he was for a time, then made for the Querina Road. He shifted down Malshi Way, disappearing from Sir Baris’s sight. Sir Baris tried to locate him again, but lost him at the corner of Malshi and Cheslo.

Having lost his quarry, Sir Baris regrouped with Tora. They found a likely alley off Malshi Street. Weapons drawn, they investigated.

Nanno wasn’t there.

They checked the Busted Nut. Nanno wasn’t there. They went past his house; there were no signs of life. Frustrated, they returned to the Elf and Dwarf. They could only hope that Nanno was not in fact the Ogre.

Torres left the Coin and Broom, but he did not go far. Instead he entered a nearby building, which Cekiya knew to be the house of the “nice whores.” The urchins informed her that when he visited that house, he always stayed all night.

Suspicion pricked Cekiya. What if the Ogre was at work that very moment? She decided to check the Peonian crypt.

About the same time Nanno had left the Tower, Natto and his friend were departing the Elf and Dwarf, having said nothing more of interest the entire night. They did not notice the flock of children that followed them as they wandered into the night. About 11:00, Kaelyn went out to check in with the urchins.

Cekiya saw her coming and hid, hoping to jump out and elicit a scream. But Kaelyn was so intent on her task that she got only a doubletake. They conferred with each other, and the urchins; the urchins informed them that Natto and his pal had returned to their home and gone to bed. Kaelyn decided to accompany Cekiya to the crypt.

Meanwhile, at Galopea’s Feast, Sir Ewen ignored Prehil’s suggestion of topping the evening off with a round of courtesans, choosing instead to return to Raven Hall and retire.

Kaelyn and Cekiya descended into the crypt. The door was ajar when they got there. Kaelyn readied a spell for whoever had opened it, a blade of ice. Entering the upper level, they passed the bier and headed for the stairs. Kaelyn could hear a faint sound, like distant workers singing. Cekiya stopped, trying to place its direction – and began chanting the ritual which would give her the eyes of Dekejis, only to find herself enveloped in the midnight of the blind.

Stunned, Cekiya slumped against the stairs up to the bier. Stumbling into things greater than her, she had offended some Thing, and been PUNISHED. Had Naveh struck her down for having the temerity to prevent murder? She had no way to know.

Kaelyn tried to rouse her, but to no effect. Her spell running out, she left Cekiya and plunged down the stairs. On the lower level, in the fountain, lay a naked man, his throat a gaping hole. Beyond that, just shy of the first bier, was a short, hulking man in the act of severing a dead woman’s breast.

Kaelyn sprang at the murderer. The frost blade hit him in the shoulder, severing his arm. Blood spurted and a notched knife clanged to the flagstones. The Ogre turned.

It was Nanno.

Kaelyn struck again, and the Ogre’s head flew across the chamber. Nanno’s corpse fell beside his knife.

The Peonian mendicant crawled forth from his hiding place. “Wow. You’re scary,” he said.

“You stay here,” Kaelyn said. “I’m going to get ... someone.”

Trailing blood, Kaelyn fled through the lightless streets of Tashal to the Halean temple. The Aramia was still awake, celebrating the rites of the goddess. Kaelyn burst in among the revelers like a memento mori.

“He’s dead!” she shrieked.

“What?” said the Aramia.
“The murderer. I just killed him. In the crypt of the Peonian temple.”

“You were just supposed to find out who it was!”

“I was startled ... and alone ... my friend is blind. You don’t understand! The corpses – they’re down there ... and my friend ...”

The Aramia wrapped her own filmy silk robe around the ranting sorceress. “I know. Have some tea.”

Eventually, Kaelyn recovered enough to guide the Aramia and several members of the Halean temple guard to the crypt. They found three corpses, and Cekiya. The mendicant was gone, yet Cekiya said she felt no one pass her. One of the guards picked up the notched knife and examined its gory blade.

“Go home,” the Aramia ordered Kaelyn.

Kaelyn picked up Cekiya and they stumbled back to Raven Hall.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle