Session Ninety-Three - July 28, 2012

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Ninety-Three - July 28, 2012

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Nolus 6, 732

The party arrives in Heru late afternoon. After a basic meal, Ewen sits with his knights and takes stock of men lost and the enemy defeated. He finds out that the White Ravens were nearly wiped out, with 15 men lost. The Blue Boars fared slightly better; losing eight light foot and two medium foot. Rathbar’s Raiders only lost four men. Of the Vikings they faced; the light foot that came at them all were killed and around half of the Huscarls were defeated. As Ewen and the knights talk, the scouts that Ewen had sent out early the day of the ambush return with nothing new to report.

As the common is now filled with the nobles of Kaldor and their armies, the inns are no longer serving the common man. Instead there is an ale tent set up where the regular men can go to drink their troubles and hurts away. Tora tells the mercenary companies under Ewen and Baris’ banner to feel free to go. Only Rathbar’s Raiders take Tora up on her suggestion, the other two companies retire for the evening. Tora herself heads to the ale tent. Inside she finds that the ale is flowing free and freely. The guildmasters stand near the kegs with a tally sticks, marking the amount they will charge the army for the ale the fighting men drink. Tora looks around the room as she makes her way to the kegs. She sees men with light wounds, the heavily wounded men she supposes are still in the care of the healers. She recognizes some heraldry and notices that the men are for the most part intermingled, with the exception of the men wearing Anzarn Verdreth’s arms. They are sitting by themselves in a corner.

Tora grabs an ale and stands off to the side and listens to the talk around her. She hears the same questions being asked; ‘where were you?’ and ‘how’d you fair?’ A woman comes over to Tora and mentions that she doesn’t recognize the heraldry Tora wears.

‘It belongs to Sir Baris Tyrestal. We were in the front of the van during the ambush.’

‘Oh yes, I heard about your group. I heard you were all killed.’

‘The rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated, although we did not escape completely unscathed.’

‘I wish my company could say the same. We barely escaped at all.’

Tora takes a moment and looks at the heraldry the woman is wearing. ‘You were crossing the river when the ambush came. That was a very bad position.’

The woman nods and takes a long swig of her ale, ‘We were caught between the wings of the ambush and for a moment we couldn’t decide which way to go. I was Valador’s runner.’

‘Was all of your company lost in the battle?’

‘No, but we suffered about a dozen casualties.’ The woman reaches for another ale for herself and Tora. ‘My name is Droxila.’

‘Tora. Thanks.’ Tora takes the ale. ‘What happened? All I saw was the flight of arrows come from the woods and as we moved to engage I looked back and saw that the other units were being engaged by the Vikings. It looked like they were trying to separate us all.’

‘That’s more than I saw.’ Droxila says with a half-hearted chuckle. ‘This is what I saw or heard from others in the area. After the first volley of arrows from the woods it got hard to see the ones on the road ahead of the ford, where you were. It seemed that the Harbaalese huscarls came out of the woods the same moment the arrows did. They began to try to cut off the army at the ford. The Baron of Kolorn was overwhelmed very quickly. The King was wounded in the first flight of arrows. The Royal Guard hustled him out of harms way and off the road toward the river. The Paladins and Sir Roloth moved toward the King. Not sure if Sir Ranal would of done the same as he and his men were engaged right away.’ Droxila pauses, leans in closer to Tora and nods slightly in the direction of the men sitting by themselves. ‘Anzarn Verdreth and his forces ran away.’

‘North of the ford, all the men were engaged with huscarls and couldn’t come to the King’s aid. The Paladins, the King’s Knights, and Delwarne and his men were moving to engage the Harbaalese at the ford, moving the fight away from the wounded King. Apparently Lord Firith pushed back and shifted quickly behind Sir Kodar’s troops and what was left of Bastune’s, and it is just my belief and not the illimitable text truth of the matter, that this movement was to prevent the army from being cut in half.’ Droxila again pauses, this time to take a long drink of ale to wet her throat.

‘The Lady of Paladin and the King’s knights and Delwarne and his troops had a head on meeting of the huscarls being pushed down from the north. It was a charge of the King’s knights that ran them down. The knights then returned to the footmen guarding the King and got him off the battlefield. While that happened, Sir Ranal was still engaged with the Harbaalese that first appeared near him. The Paladins swung around to engage the two units on road while Lord Firith moved onto the ford and helped the Lady of the Paladins. As soon as the way was clear, everyone began to move south. The Vikings to the north of the ford were regrouping and they pursued us. The men of Kolorn were basically wiped out, Sir Kodar lost over half his men and he was wounded.’

Tora, with a shocked expression on her face, shakes her head slowly, ‘A sad day for Kaldor.’

‘In an ambush, anytime you live to fight another day is a good day.’

Tora nods, ‘And the King?’

‘He lives. He is in the castle.’ Droxila puts her hand on Tora’s shoulder, ‘You gave good service to him.’

‘You too. A toast to the fighting force of Kaldor.’ Tora raises her ale.

Droxila and Tora talk about other things for a while, Droxila sending subtle hints to Tora about sleeping arrangements. Tora, however, does not pick up on the hints and leaves the tent alone.

Nolus 7, 732

In the morning before she even has a chance to break her fast, Sparky comes to Tora with a rather sheepish look on his face.

‘Garvo has returned to Tashal. He says he is recruiting more men, but he left me, Flynt, Tyndir, and Smoak behind. We are supposed to obey your orders.’ Sparky says, ‘He made me corporal.

‘He should have had the guts to tell me to my face. But it is a worthy aim.’ Tora says thinking that Garvo is probably not going to return. ‘Well corporal, have the men fall out for breakfast. It is being served in the ale tent over yonder.’

During breakfast Ewen and Baris discuss where to put the rump of the White Ravens. After Tora breaks the news that the leader of the White Ravens has left to ‘recruit new men,’ it is decided that it would just be easiest to have the White Ravens near Baris at all times. Ewen asks that Baris ride near Rathbar’s Raiders to keep the chain of command clear.

As the party eats, they hear the sound of hooves stop just outside their tent. A member of the Blue Boars, who was serving as sentry, flips open the tent flap and calls to Sir Ewen. ‘There is a squire here from Lord Firith.’

‘Send him in.’

‘Sir, my Lord Firith sends his respects and compliments. He is glad to hear you are alive.’

‘I thank the Baron for his regards.’

‘He asks that you attend him in his tent at your convenience milord.’

‘I shall be there forthwith.’ Ewen says as he is already beginning to stand and reach for his surcoat.

Ewen and Baris make their way down to the top of the south common where the Baron of Kobe has his tent. Cekiya follows behind them. Once they arrive, the two knights are shown in. In the tent is the Baron, Prehil and Sir Houla.

‘Sir Ewen! Glad to see you alive.’

‘Thank you. The same to you.’

‘I tell you it was a near run thing.’

‘We were hard-pressed, but we gave a good account. We were trapped behind the main body of men.’

‘Yes, well sorry about that, but there was nothing to be done. If they had cut the army in half all would have been destroyed.’ The Baron gestures to a couple of stools near the table where the trio is sitting. ‘Take a seat and I will get right to the heart of the matter. Kolorn is dead.’ Prehil looks up to the ceiling of the tent and mutters something under his breath at this statement. The Baron continues, ignoring his son. ‘Sir Kodar Maradyne may lose an arm, the King is alive, but wounded by one of those damn arrows. The physicians counseled against it but he left early this morning for Tashal. He has left me in command of the army.’ The Baron sighs and again Prehil’s lips move but none of the men in the room can make out what he is saying.

‘There is no better man for the job. I hope the Lady of Paladins is watching over His Grace.’

‘I am sure she will,’ Sir Houla says.

‘Yes. Well, we are still an effective battle force. One wonders if a certain number are worth it. We got our clocks cleaned. Without the timely moves of Sir Houla, the army would of collapsed. There is the rub, gentlemen, we no longer know what is facing us. I am not moving this army without some intelligence on the enemy.’

‘It is fair to say that none fought as well as we three. So I would like you to undertake that mission. My scouts have not returned and I fear they will not.’

Ewen smiles, ‘I was hoping you would say that My Lord. My men are ready.’

‘No, you cannot take your men. I need a smaller group, it will garner less attention. You can hand-pick your group, but no more than half a dozen. Here is your brief: travel to Olokand, establish the quality and types of troops the army has, if possible make contact with Prince Brandis and ascertain his condition, then return and report.’

‘This we’ll do. When would you have us leave?’

‘Now would be good. There is more. You are likely aware the Heru road to Olokand will bring you to the east bank requiring you to cross the river, I’d recommend against that.’ The Baron scratches underneath his eye patch, ‘When you cross the Kald you will need to be careful as you travel through the various manors. The Vikings have been raiding manors and goddess knows what you will find.’ The Baron pauses again and looks at Baris and then pointedly at Ewen, ‘One more thing. What I’m about to tell you is known to very few. It may be the only way to contact Brandis. There is a tunnel into the castle. You may recall the two inns. The northern of the two, the Kald & Castle – inside joke – in the cellar on the east wall of the pantry, there is a secret door hidden behind some boards. It will lead you to the antechamber off the crypt in the castle. If you are forced to use this route, be careful, the guards may not be expecting you. Needless to say, revealing this will result in dire consequences for you personally.’

‘Of course.’

‘We will guard it with our lives,’ Sir Baris pipes in.

‘That is exactly what I meant.’ The Baron replies with a glint in his eye.

‘I will see this through and report as quickly as possible.’

‘No doubt. You are the First Knight of Kaldor,’ the Baron smiles grimly, ‘You may carry that title for another year.’

‘Then I shall do my best to see fit that I earn it.’

‘Well said.’

‘Do you anticipate marching possibly before we return.’

‘No, a second defeat will shatter morale. I must boost morale. There are too many Vikings in Meselyneshire.’

Ewen and Baris nod and leave the tent.

Back at Ewen’s tent, the party packs two days worth of food. Ewen leaves Iblis with his squire and takes the squire’s horse. They set off immediately and reach Ovendel by the end of the day; less than the expected number of peasants have returned to their cottages. Ewen looks around and tells Tora to go asks questions. Tora rides off to talk to a small group of peasants at the well. She returns with the news that the Harbaalese have not returned and the peasants seemed confused as to which enemy they were facing. The party moves to the river bank, where they eat and rest. They make plans to cross in the night.

‘When will the moon rise tonight.’ Ewen asks the group.

‘I know not these things of science.’ Baris replies around a mouthful of food.

‘Don’t look at me, I work for a living,’ Tora says.

Ewen shakes his head and answers his own questions. In order to educate his companions he mentions that Yael is on a relative rotation rate and it doesn’t present Harn with the same face each night. The orbit around Kethira is not elliptical and intersects at eight degrees. This gives Harn and presumably the rest of Kethira exactly twelve full and new moons a year and they occur on the same day each month. Soon the moon rises, about where Ewen said it would and the party crosses the river. Cekiya goes first, having the best night vision of the party thanks to a prayer, then Ewen, Kaelyn, Baris and lastly Tora. Once across they rearrange the line: Cekiya is still first, ranging slightly ahead of the group, Baris and Ewen ride next followed by Kaelyn with Tora bringing up the rear. They ride on for a half an hour before Cekiya rides back to Ewen, ‘I am a kitty no more.’ Ewen understands her cryptic remark and motions everyone off the road. The party sets a rotating watch schedule and then they try to get some sleep. Before Ewen sleeps, he sends a thought out to the ether in search of the mysterious mind, but he finds nothing.

Nolus 8, 732

The party awakens to find that it had stopped raining sometime during the night, although the air was warm and humid. After an hour on the road they see a trail that leads to the west. Tora identifies it as not well-used. The party follows it and after a half an hour they reach a manor that is still intact. Again Ewen sends Tora to talk to the peasants. Tora finds a group of older women carrying parcels headed toward the Peonian church.

‘Good morning goodwives.’

‘Good morning dearie.’

‘I am a member of the Lady of Paladins …’ before Tora say anything more the women begin muttering and giving her disapproving looks. Tora swallows a sigh and continues, ‘I was hoping you could aid me. I need directions to cross the Kald from here.’

‘You’re lost. The Kald is nowhere near here.’

‘What about Abriel Abbey?’

‘What is that dear?’

‘Ok, where am I then?’

‘You’re in Rovinath.’

‘And what is the nearest town or castle from here?’

‘That would be Olokand.’

‘How do I get there from here?

‘Go back the way you came and take the road north.’

‘And what if I continue on this way, what will I come to?’

‘Jastere.’

‘Is that the nearest market?’

‘No, that would be in Nevenfal,’ One of the women, catching on to Tora’s questions continues, ‘You go back the way you came and go north.’

Tora smiles, ‘Is there a woodward in the village?’

‘Oh yes, I’m not sure he will speak to you. Go up the lane and take a right. It is the third cottage. His name is Blass. Now dearie, we’re off to the temple.’

Tora nods her thanks and hands the women a penny. The more talkative woman smiles at Tora telling her Peoni will be pleased, and perhaps she would be shown the way and would change her (Tora’s) ways.

Tora recounts everything to the party and they set off down the lane towards Blass’s house. He is home and once again Tora is delegated to speak to him.

‘Are you Blass the Woodward? Greetings, I am Tora.’

‘I be Blass the Woodward and you be a large group.’

‘We are looking for direction to cross the Kald.’

‘You might be able to cross at Colovos, but the easiest way is to go back the way you came in.’

‘How do we get to Colovos?’

‘You keep going along this road, and about two villages later you’ll meet it, but …’

‘How do you cross; is there a ferry?’

‘You would have to find someone to take you across. But I would really recommend the main road, they have a bridge and everything.’

Tora thanks Blass for his information and the party heads down the road to Colovos. They travel for the rest of the morning. They pass through Jastere, Hayeren and reach Colovos around noon. As they get closer to Colovos, Tora realizes that the area is familiar. She tells Ewen and Baris that there is a manor chapter of the Lady of the Paladins here. They approach the chapter manor and find the gate open. Inside there is a little bit of activity as an older Mekan approaches them, ‘Can I help you?’

‘I am Sir Ewen Ravinargh. I need assistance in crossing the river.’

‘You would have to talk with the Soylana.’

‘Could you arrange that for me?’

‘Yes, follow me.’ The Mekan leads the party into the yard. Ewen takes this opportunity to ask about the Harbaalese activity in the area.

‘Well Sir Ewen, the truth is we sent our most able bodies to Iversen and we haven’t really heard anything more. The Soylana stands ready and has sent many messages, but no one seems to know what to do.’

‘I shall take note of that and report it.’

By this time they had reached the house. The main doors open and a knight of the Lady of the Paladins comes out. He is well over sixty years of age and walks with the support of a cane.

Ewen bows and introduces himself again.

‘Your fame precedes you, Sir Ewen.’

Ewen nods, ‘I am on urgent business from Lord Firith. I need to take my small party across the river as discreetly as possible.’

‘Lord Firith is a good and honorable knight but his writ does not run here.’

‘He currently commands the King’s army in the field.’

‘Say no more. I’ll give you every assistance if you move against that horde.’

‘We do. I need to move this party of five and our horses across. We are going to scout and need the secrecy.’

‘You will have to return the same route, unless you force the castle.’

Ewen smiles, ‘I never rule out any possibility, but I don’t think we will be tackling such a task in advance of the main army.’

‘I will send a fishing shallop across the river to Rhustan. They have a largish talbar there that should be able to accommodate your party in two crossings. The bailiff at Rhustan, Sir Upfer, will no doubt be just as glad to offer service. ‘

‘I thank you for your assistance. How far off does this lie from the Heru road.’

‘Scarcely a league.’

‘I would be happy for any intelligence you or your men could give about these barbarians along that road.’

‘No major movement these past two days.’

‘Did they come from the south?’

‘They left the manors in the countryside alone. Those along the road suffered terribly.’

‘I am sorry to hear that.’

The Soylana sends out a small fishing boat and two hours later a large talbar comes into view. The party loads up and the boat does indeed have to make two crossings to accommodate everyone. Sir Upfer meets the party on the other side of the river and tells Ewen and Baris the news. He says that they have been raided a little on this side of the river. Not to pillage, but to suppress. The Vikings had attacked Iversen and Abriel but they are largely concerned with concentrated body of troops at Olokand. The Nelafayn lords have met but they do not have the power to raise siege at Olokand until they can join the main army. Ewen asks Sir Upfer what is his estimate of the number of troops at Olokand. Sir Upfer says he believes there are between 800 and a thousand men there.

By mid-afternoon the party is ready to ride to Olokand. On the three hour ride, Ewen tells the group that the next prince after Brandis is younger, 17 or 18 years old, but not young enough to need a regent should anything happen to his father or brother. Along the way the party passes through Terendra and Medarsin. When they reach Sangara, they dismount and hide the horses as they are extremely close to their goal. The party approaches the small village on the south bank of the Caliprast Stream across from Olokand proper. They see that the Elendsa banner is still flying over the castle. They scout cautiously and are relieved to find that no Vikings are currently in residence in the village. To try to get a better understanding of what they face as quickly as possible, they decide to send Cekiya over the bridge once night falls. Cekiya’s main goal is to do a quick inventory of the Vikings and to see if the path to the inn is clear. As the sky darkens and Cekiya prepares to leave, Ewen tells her that if she is captured, they will disavow any knowledge of her actions. Cekiya smiles and thinks that perhaps there is hope for Daffodil’s toy yet.

Cekiya crosses the bridge over the Caliprast stream, by making her way along the supports under the bridge. She reaches the opposite bank and takes a moment to catch her breath. She cautiously crawls out and just barely peeking over the ridge of the bank, takes a look around. She sees nothing. She rises into a low crouch and proceeds to move west along the river bank. After she takes a couple steps, she hears a commotion coming from the first house to the left of the bridge. She sees a number of Vikings coming out the front door and stands still as not to pose as a threat. As soon as the first arrow reaches her, she takes off in a run and begins to dodge. One arrow grazes her right shoulder and she hears a very heavily accented ‘Halt’ come from behind her, but she continues to move.

Across the river Baris hears the commotion and can see from his vantage point dark figures moving along the bank, with a small lone figure in front running. He tries to rally the rest of the party to move to Cekiya’s aid, but Ewen, thinks better of the idea and tells Baris to sit down and stay quiet. The party looks on in amazement at the speed the little adder runs. She quickly reaches the mill and is out of site. The Vikings lose her at this point as well and all, save one, turn back towards the building they came out of. The one lone Viking turns north and jogs towards the houses there.

Cekiya continues to run as if the hellhounds are chasing her, dodging the arrows that whiz past her with the grace of a cat. She turns north around the wall and runs towards the trees. Once there, she quickly climbs a tree as high as the branches would allow and scans the area behind her for pursuers. She narrows her eyes in the moonlight and sees nothing. The town behind her is relatively dark and no Vikings have followed her into the trees. She hears some movement in the town but not enough to concern her. She casts her gaze to the west common and sees no one neither sleeping outside nor standing around. She climbs down from her perch and makes her way over to the two fields that border the west common on its southeast corner. She can now hear shouts of men and the jingling of metal armor that accompany a pounding of boots. She edges over to the shadow of a building that lies next to the top portion of the northern most field. She creeps along, hugging the wall to stay in the thin line of shadow, to the northern tip of the building. She peers around the corner and sees the source of the noise. Men, more men than originally were chasing her, are gathering in Mycepris Square. She looks past them to the buildings that surround the square and sees only a few lights on inside. The men begin to move toward the west common and Cekiya lies flat on the ground. One of the more observant Harbaalese happens to look over to where Cekiya is hiding in shadow and he spots her, ‘Dor er hist!’

Cekiya realizing that her sneaking game is over; stands, repeats the noises the Viking said, pirouettes, and as she is taking a bow, is captured.

The rest of the group, moves away from the river bank when they hear shouting coming from Olokand. As they near one of the small cottages, Baris looks in a window and finds that it is occupied by peasants. During their initial search, which was evidently not thorough, they had thought the village was unoccupied. Baris grins, and motions the party over. He puts his face to the window and a finger to his lips as he whispers ‘It is I, Sir Baris!’

Inside, the man looks at his wife, ‘Did you hear something love?’ The woman shakes her head and then cocks it to the side to listen.

Baris tries again, ‘It is I.’

The woman’s face pales, ‘Oh dear! It is the ghost! From the Ona Setrum! I told you we shouldn’t have built our home here. It is angry at those barbarians and now it is going to take its revenge out on us. This is all your fault! We are doomed! Ohhh …’

Tora hearing this speaks a bit louder than Baris, ‘Goodman, Goodwife, we are not ghosts, we are friends of the King.’

At this, the peasant man joins his wife in the hysterics.

At this point, Kaelyn points out that there is a door and it is probably not locked. Baris quickly walks around to the front and walks in.

‘Oh, it is not a ghost, just a knight.’

‘Yes, we were sent from the King.’

‘Well, it’s about bloody time.’

‘He is on his way, there has just been a small delay …’ Baris begins, but before he can get too far into his explanation, Kaelyn interrupts. ‘We are just looking for some information.’

Tora picks up the thread, ‘Goodman, Goodwife, do you know a way across the stream other than the bridge?’

‘Perhaps a fisherman’s boat we can borrow?’ Baris asks.

The peasants look at each other and the man shrugs. ‘You could just dress yourself as a fuckin’ peasant. We go over the bridge to work all the time.’

‘We have no clothes that would work,’ Kaelyn says, seeing a hole in the logic. Baris on the other hand is grinning from ear to ear, as packed in his travel bag is Karl, his rat-catcher persona.

‘We can get you clothing and a cart and probably some dung.’

‘What work do you over there,’ Tora asks.

‘Construction mostly, but we burned some houses, built a wall, and deliver food as well.’

‘What wall?’

‘Around the castle there is now a wood wall.’

‘Does it face the village?’ Baris asks.

‘It faces both ways, it is a wall.’ The peasant man says with a tone of exasperation. ‘It runs from one side of the castle at the river to the other side of the castle at the river.’

‘Has there been fighting at the wall or battlements?’

‘They breached one wall, but am not sure if it was due to fighting or something else.’

‘Do you have a curfew?’

‘Of course, if you want to stay alive that is.’

The party looks at each other. It is silently decided that the cart would be their best course of action, although they do not like the idea of going in unarmed. Tora asks the peasants if they ever search the cart. The peasant man says they never search the cart going in but sometimes on the way out it is searched.

The party thanks the peasants and they return to their makeshift camp to wait for morning and the peasant clothing.

Cekiya meanwhile has been taken to the southern inn, the Amber Inn. She is tied up, stripped of her knives and deposited on a chair in the cellar. She counts the darkness as she waits. After an hour or so the trap door opens and people come down the ladder. One of the men hoists the tiny woman over his shoulder and carries her to the side room upstairs. She can just see into the common room of the inn as they pass by a door. She sees a bunch of Vikings being happy and drinking, which of course is the same thing. In the side room is a man with a blondish beard but reddish hair. He motions to the man carrying Cekiya to place her on the stool across from him. He looks at the tiny imp and says in accented Harnic ‘Don’t you know it is dangerous to cross the bridge at night?’

‘No.’

‘It could get you killed.’

‘I am glad it didn’t.’

The man sighs, ‘What is your name?’

‘Mayghen of Aerth.’

‘Do you come from Aerth?’

‘Yes,’

‘You followed the army.’

‘No.’

‘Why else would you have come here from Aerth?’

‘I have an aunt here. I visit her every year for the month of Nolus.’

‘I doubt that. You followed the army, why else would you be in Aerth?’

‘I am confused, what happened?’

‘I am the one asking questions.’

‘I left Aerth three days ago to come visit my aunt.’

‘The army left three days ago. Do you take me for a fool?’

‘There was no army when I left.’ Cekiya pitches her voice a little higher, ‘What happened to mummy?’

‘I thought you were visiting your aunt?’

‘My aunt is in Olokand and my mummy is in Aerth and you said that there was an army in Aerth, what happened to my mummy, why was the army there, is my mummy ok …’ Cekiya begins to talk faster and faster and soon begins to cry.

‘That has no effect on me.’ The man says. He motions for the man who carried Cekiya in to carry her out and back to the cellar. Once she is left alone again, she tries to work on the knots holding her in place but they are unfamiliar to her and tied too tight.

Nolus 9, 732

In the morning, Karl greets the party. The peasants they met last night bring the rest of the group clothing and lead them to the main part of the village by the well. They wait for a few minutes until a cart carrying charcoal comes up. The peasant man says that Freb will let them have his cart. The party hides as much of their gear as they are able in the cart. Freb tells them to tell the guards at the bridge that this load of charcoal was ordered by the leaders and then to take it to Mycepris Square. Tora nods her thanks and takes the reins and begins to drive the oxen over the bridge. By this time it is close to nine in the morning. At the other end of the bridge one of the guards holds up his spear, ‘Is this the charcoal? You are late.’

Baris/Karl responds, ‘Yes, the oxen were ...’

‘Don’t be late again or you will be flogged!’

‘Good gods, no. We won’t be late again.’ Baris/Karl says as Tora cracks the reins to get the oxen moving. The oxen begin to move and then won’t listen to her command to turn. They head straight for the wood wall the peasants were talking about last night. Tora jumps off the cart and pats the oxen on the nose to get them to turn. The Viking at the wall nods to Tora and asks if this was her first time driving the cart. She nods in the affirmative and continues to turn the oxen in the right direction. As the party heads to the square they notice that the Vikings had had the houses burnt to make room for the wall.

Once at the square another Harbaalese directs them to take the load of charcoal to the Amber Inn which they do.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle