Session Ninety-Six - November 17, 2012

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session Ninety-Six - November 17, 2012

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 am

Nolus 10, 732
Olokand Castle, Kaldor
Noon

The caws of crows and the cries of dying men broke the silence. The coppery stench of blood filled the air, mixed with sweat and other odors. The last of the Viking warriors – those who could still stand, anyway – had just fled. Sir Baris stood atop the battlements of Olokand, covered in blood, his eyes a little crazed with battle frenzy. His teeth showed in a bloody grin, and the knight surveyed the destruction he and his compatriots had wrought against their enemies.

Casualties were littered throughout the outer bailey, some with arrows pointing to the heavens, others slashed or with missing limbs. Some lay in unnatural positions, their bodies broken when they were thrown from the parapets. Some of the wounded Vikings had crawled, or tried to crawl, back to their lines, leaving trails of gore in the mud. It was clear now that the Vikings were not returning this day, and some defenders roamed about the inner bailey, collecting enemy arrows that had overshot the walls and landed inside the keep.

Of course, Baris thought suddenly, the defenders, some of whom he had fought and bled beside, whose lives he had saved and some (in his more honest moments) who had saved his own life, were also his enemies. With an effort of will, he pushed these thoughts aside. He took a deep breath, and immediately regretted it, because some of the dead men did what dead men do but they don’t tell you about in the songs. “I need a drink,” the knight muttered, and walked away.

At the foot of the wall where Baris had been standing was a gory sight. Crows and rats were feasting upon two arms that had been savagely hacked off, but strangely there were no bodies nearby.

“How will you suggest that to Prince Brandis?” Kaelyn was asking as Baris arrived in Ewen’s chambers.

After his drink, Sir Baris, like the rest of the party, had returned to his chambers, collapsed on his bedroll, and slept dreamlessly for several hours. Around noon the party gathered in Sir Ewen’s chambers to plan their next move. At least, they were supposed to. Baris was a little late.

“Nice of you to come, Sir Baris,” Ewen said wryly. He sat at a small table. There was no food, but there was ale. Tora and Cekiya stood by the door, while Kaelyn was seated next to her lord.

Baris grunted and plopped down in the seat between Ewen and Kaelyn, shaking the table a bit. He grabbed a mug and poured a healthy amount of ale into it. The mage wrinkled her nose – although Baris was out of his armor and in fresh clothing, he had not bathed, and blood still caked his face and beard.

“So you are going to have the Prince throw himself from the parapets?” Baris asked. “That would be a sight to see.” He slammed his mug on the table, and some ale sloshed out, mixing with the blood on his hands. “Splat!”

“No, no, Baris, we’ve abandoned that idea. The Prince is much too useful to be wasted in such a crude manner,” Ewen said.

“Good, I was beginning to like the man with his brains on the inside of his head.” Baris grinned evilly and sipped his ale. “So what are you going to make him do?”

“Well, if you’d been on time, you would have heard Kaelyn’s suggestion that we place in his mind the idea that I am a capable commander who has provided wise counsel – and perhaps I should be placed in charge of a larger wing of the army.”

Baris nodded enthusiastically. “Yes, and then we will crush the Vikings …”

“On the other hand, perhaps we should not over-egg the pudding,” Ewen interrupted. “Brandis already owes us. Perhaps we do not need to use magic to get him in our pocket.”

“What are we going to do next?” Baris wondered. “Should we report what we’ve found?”

“Yes, we should report what we know – that the Vikings are here, and Brandis can not hold out much longer.” Ewen said.

“And we will return with the army!” Baris exclaimed.

“Especially because we also know that the Vikings will be leaving soon.”

Baris blinked. “Of course, so we bring the Kaldoric Army where we know the Vikings are not – so they will not destroy our foes too soon.”

“Remember, the Kaldoric Army are also our foes.”

Baris nodded. “Of course, of course.” It was hard to keep it all straight – though it all went down easier with ale.

“We will wait for the Vikings to depart,” Ewen said. “We will convince Brandis that this is just temporary retreat – perhaps we could volunteer to be scouts. In this way, we escape, and have cover to return with the army.”

“If we’re scouts, and Brandis learns the Vikings aren’t regrouping, won’t they think we’re traitors?” Cekiya wondered.

“If toppling a government was easy, everyone would do it,” Kaelyn said.

“We held, that’s the good news,” the Prince Brandis said.

Sir Baris, along with Sir Ewen, was sitting on the Council of War.

“We lost too many good men, including Sir Kathel,” the Prince continued. He shook his head and took a breath. “If they come at us like that again, I’m not sure we can hold. We’ll probably have to abandon the curtain walls and defend only the keep.”

The other assembled knights mumbled at that, but there were no objections. They weren’t happy about it, but it was the right course of action.

“Does anyone have thoughts on this matter?” Brandis asked the gathered knights.

Sir Erdril spoke up, voicing platitudes, but saying nothing of consequence. “We will hold the castle to the end, my lord,” and the like. The other knights cheered, however.

“What if we raided the viking camp?” Sir Telek wondered. This brought looks of incredulity, to which he responded, “No, no, what if we tried to knock off Bjan – they would be leaderless, right?”

The Prince looked thoughtful for a few moments, but then he shook his head. “An enterprising and brave plan, but we don’t know how many men the Vikings have who could take Bjan’s place. It could be too many. And we can’t afford to lose any more people.”

The Prince looked at Sirs Ewen and Baris. “Sir Ewen, Sir Baris, you are strangely quiet.”

“The vikings must know our defense is threadbare,” Ewen said. “Though we were steadfast, they can count. Sir Kathel’s loss was a grave on for us. With that said, Sir Baris and I are fully at your disposal: we will stay with you to the end.”

“Your loyalty and valor are both commendable,” Brandis said. “But what we need now is relief. I think it is time the army must march. Like I said, we will be forced to defend only the keep, which we can hold, provided they do not breach the doors.”

“Sir Baris and I and my people are prepared to return to Heru with word of the urgency of your situation, your highness,” Ewen said.

“That is just what I am thinking,” the prince agreed. “You said you had horses?”

“We do, they are secured safely,” Ewen acknowledged.

“Well that is good,” Brandis said. “I fear we will be forced to eat our horses before very long.”

“Only one of us needs to get through.”

“Let us hope, Sir Ewen, that it is not so difficult to break through,” the Prince said. “No doubt you want to rest.”

Ewen nodded. “Give us but a few hours, and we will be ready. We should leave by cover of night.”

“Yes, just before daybreak, I would think,” Brandis agreed.

After that, the discussion in the war council fell to the logistics of falling back to the keep: what equipment needed to be moved, what doors needed to be secured, and things of that nature.

Nolus 11, 732
Olokand Castle, Great Hall
Two AM

In the wee hours of the morning the party gathered in the Great Hall and made ready to depart the castle under the cover of darkness.

Brandis had come to see the party off. “I hope to see you again very soon,” the Prince told to Sir Ewen.

Ewen stood up straight. “We will return with an army at our back, my lord.”

The Prince smiled. “You should be off.”

Sir Kelwyn, who had just arrived, led the party to the throne room, where the entrance to the crypt lay.

“The Vikings are gone,” Kelwyn told Ewen, his voice low. “They broke camp around midnight. They left a lot of things. In fact, the sentries might not have noticed, but the boats are gone.”

“I will do my best to bring the army here,” Ewen said.

“If it helps, they appear to have gone up the river.” Kelwyn took a torch and went down the spiral staircase into the crypt. “I wish you and your companions well.”

“Perhaps our paths will cross again.”

“Within days, I should think.”

Ewen smiled. Kelwyn took his leave and went back up the stairs.

As they walked through the dark halls beneath the castle, Sir Baris did his best to keep his eyes off the denizens of that dank place, as they seemed to move in the flickering light.

Now that they knew what they were doing (and were coming from the right side), it was much easier to navigate the secret tunnel. The party quickly made their way under the curtain walls and to the inn, emerging in the pantry. Quietly, they took the ladder up to the kitchen. Peering into the common room, they saw no sign of the Viking high command. They did, however, see innkeep and his wife sleeping in the kitchen.

“Who’s there?” the innkeep mumbled. Apparently he was a light sleeper.

“It is I, Sir Baris.”

“Sir Baris?”

“You’re dreaming, go back to sleep.”

“Another part of the nightmare.” The innkeep rolled over and a few minutes later was breathing softly, asleep once more.

Cekiya leading the way, the party crept into the common room. The place was a wreck, tankards and plates strewn about, benches overturned.

“Perhaps we should scavenge some food for our trip,” Kaelyn whispered. Ewen nodded, and, careful not to wake the innkeep again, the party gathered some supplies.

Thus equipped, the party exited the front door into the courtyard of the inn. There, stooped over at the gate, was the wizened crone. “Hail to thee, Sir Ewen.”

“Good morning to you, good woman,” Ewen said.

“It is a good morning. The crows are very well-fed.”

Ewen smiled a predatory smile.

“I would walk with you, at least as far as the bridge,” the old woman said in her raspy voice.

“You are welcome to,” Ewen said, offering her his arm. “We are in haste.”

“Oh, I know you are,” the woman said, and took the knight’s arm. “Such a gentleman.” She patted Ewen’s arm and the two began walking. “Did you enjoy your stay in the castle?’’

“It was most illuminating.”

“Their morale is quite slender, is it not?”

“Their defenses as not doing well,” Ewen said. “I doubt the word that the vikings have left will do much to steady their nerve.”

“Especially when they don’t come back,” the old woman said. “Did you meet a friend in the castle?” At Ewen’s nod, she continued. “He should have told you, Bjan thinks he has been betrayed.”

“The loss of the booty,” Ewen said in understanding.

“Yes, he thinks some of his men took it under cover of the battle and went upriver themselves!” The crone chuckled at this foolishness. “He’s gone after them, gold-fever in his veins, and bloodlust in his eyes.”

Ewen laughed, too. “The prince would have me enjoin the King to rush here post-haste.”

“I see no reason why the army of Kaldor should not run hither and thither for no reason whatsoever.”

“It’d be a shame for all that treasure to go to waste, wouldn’t it?”

The crone nodded. “Brandis will have his work cut out for him. There was a pile of bodies for a big pyre, but Bjan went off in search of the thieves. So he didn’t notice the extra bodies.” The crone took a small sack from within her clothes. “Oh, I almost forgot – this is for you.” She handed Ewen the sack. “A little travelling money, a gift of Prince Bjan.”

The knight took the sack, which had a nice heft to it. “Thank you. You think of everything.”

“I can’t take credit for it, but thank you anyway.” The woman released Ewen’s arm. “Oh! Here we are at the bridge, so soon.” She looked the knight in the eyes. “When you return you will not find me here.”

“I’m sure your talents will find other employment. Perhaps we will see each other again. Safe travels, old woman.”

“I look forward to it. And safe travels to you.”

On their way out of town the party came upon the peasants whose sleep they had interrupted a few days before. “So you’re not ghosts after all.”

At sundown on the eleventh, party approached Aerth manor. After seeing to their horses, they went inside and were greeted by Lady Ygrena in the small manor’s great hall.

“So, did you meet my husband?” the lady asked the knights.

It so happened that before they left the castle, Kaelyn had asked after Chanald Ralgerty, and learned that the poor soul had perished on the first day of fighting.

Baris, a grave look on his face, poured ale into a mug and held it out to the woman.”I’m so sorry, he perished in the first assault.”

Lady Ygrena’s eyes welled with tears, and she ignored the mug in Baris’s hands.

“He died bravely!” Baris said, as if that solved everything. “He died in battle, as all true men desire!”

The poor woman stifled a sob and rushed from the hall.

“I better make sure she’s alright,” Baris said, quickly downing the ale in his hand and hurrying after the grieving widow.

Not long afterward, Baris came back into the hall, one cheek slightly reddened. He sat down and poured another ale, a chagrined look on his face.

Kaelyn gave Baris a dirty look. Ewen just shook his head.

Privately, Tora wondered why Ygrena was so upset. Her man had died well, what more could a woman want?

That night, alone in his room, Ewen prepared to commune with Rahel. He sat crossed-legged on the floor and relaxed his body and mind. He took the special mirror from its bag and looked down upon the beautiful face of his sister.

“Good evening, brother dear, I’ve been wondering where you’ve been.”

“Of course, dear sister. I am back at Aerth, and so I thought of you.”

Rahel chuckled. “I must get there someday.”

“The poor woman here lost her husband in the first assault, and Sir Baris tried to console her,” Ewen said.

“How did he do?” Rahel wondered.

“Well, he came back with a reddened face, but not because of exertion.”

“That bad?”

Rahel updated Ewen on the goings on in Tashal. “The King has returned, which I believe you knew. I understand he will recover fully.”

“I see,” Ewen said dryly.

“There was, as always, some concern over the wound turning septic, but it did not.”

“His son continues to hold fast at Caer Olokand, although which much diminished resources,” Ewen reported.

“How long could he hold out?” Rahel asked.

“Well, considering the Viking king has withdrawn North under the mistaken impression that some of his own men stole the treasure and fled that way, the Prince is fine for the moment.”

“Oh, how did that happen?”

“Our Deryni friends arranged for the treasure to be sunk,” Ewen explained. He described the crone he had met, and his suspicion that she was the one who sensed him after the Battle of Ovendel Field. “There was also a Sir Kelwyn, who appears to be one of us.”

“I know him,” Rahel said. “He is one of our father’s household knights.”

“I tell you dear sister, my inclination is to do just as Prince Brandis would have me do, and enjoin Firith and the King to rush the army to the defense of Olokand. It appears that our father does not intend for the Vikings to remain at Olokand. It would be better to have the Kaldoric army be where they are not.”

“The King will not be rejoining it, as far as I know,” Rahel said.

“So while physically on the mend, his courage is worse for wear?”

“That I do not know, I will endeavor to find out. My sources say he is recovering, but not yet recovered. But that might be an excuse.”

“Tell me dear sister, how have you fared, and how is your son?”

Rahel’s smile managed to be both predatory and motherly at once. “Very nearly ready to make his entrance, it is only a matter of weeks now. His mind is formed, and he is quite willful.”

“I imagine he will be a handful.”

“Yes he will,” Rahel agreed. “Perhaps the irony of but one grandfather.”

“I would wish to be present when he makes his advent, but I fear it will not be possible.”

“If I feel it is going to be soon and you are still in Olokand, I will send Harth to get you,” Rahel said.

After some further pleasantries, brother and sister said their goodbyes.

Before retiring, Ewen looked inside the leather bag the crone had given him. He found twenty gleaming Khuzan gold crowns. After a few moments of deliberation, he decided to give Baris five crowns, and retain the rest for himself.

Nolus 12, 732
Aerth, Kaldor

At seven in the morning the hooves of the party’s horses thundered across Heru Bridge. Eager to deliver their report, they galloped to Baron Orson Firith’s tent.

“We come with urgent news for Lord Firith!” Baris exclaimed.

Before the overwhelmed guards could go into the tent to consult with their superiors, the flap flew open, revealing Sir Prehil. “Ewen, Baris!”

“Well met, Sir Prehil,” Ewen said as he dismounted. “We come from the bowels of Caer Olokand to report to your father.”

“He’s right behind me!” Prehil said as the Baron of Kobe emerged from the tent.

Ewen and Baris, now dismounted, bowed.

“My Lord,” Ewen said.

“What news from Olokand?” the Baron asked.

“The castle still stands, my Lord, but the situation is dire,” Ewen reported, his voice dropping at the last.

“Come inside,” the Baron said.

Lord Firith’s tent, like Ewen’s, had multiple chambers. It was slightly fancier, sporting three chambers. A table was set in the first chamber, and Firith sat at its head. The older man poured himself a goblet of wine, and handed the ewer to Prehil. “Here, I’m sure these weary knights would like a wee drop of the creature.”

The Baron turned to Ewen. “Sir Ewen, tell me everything; spare nothing.”

“Without further ado then, my Lord,” Ewen began. “Prince Brandis remains in control of Caer Olokand after multiple assaults by the vikings. He has five knights remaining: Sir Hearn, Sir Edric, Sir Parles, Sir Telek, and Sir Erdril. In addition to these, his forces consist of thirty-eight men-at-arms: a scant twenty-four foot and fourteen bowmen,” he tallied. “Sir Baris and I, as you suggested, entered the castle in the midst of one of the assaults. We were able to afford the prince with some assistance at the tail end of that engagement, and then the following day, when another attempt to storm the castle took place.”

“Gods, I wish I’d been there,” Firith said, his eye bright with the battle-lust of a young man.

“We defended the western tower of the curtain wall,” Ewen continued. “I tell you, they almost overwhelmed us, but he won the day and caused dozens of casualties.”

“Bloodied their nose but good!” Firith exclaimed.

Ewen nodded in agreement, a small, cold smile on his face. “When Baris and I left, it appeared the Vikings had drawn back, but I fear the castle cannot withstand another assault.” He paused a moment to let that sink in. “Also, I should say that the prince observed movements, that together with our observations, may have been the Vikings transferring the loot from the silver caravan to their camp.”

The thought of all that lost gold ought to stir them to action, Baris thought.

“So they might not have gotten away with it!” Firith said quickly, proving Baris right.

“The prince enjoined me to ask you for relief,” Ewen delivered. “His situation is dire, the fare is meager; there was dark talk of dining on the horses if the situation does not improve.”

Prehil half started out of chair and banged his fist upon the table. “By Agrik’s flaming peter! You’re a hard man to kill Ewen!” Prehil’s wide grin gave away his glee that the news confirmed Olokand held.

“Of course Sir Baris and I offered to stand with the prince to the last, but he …”

“No, no, you did the right thing, coming here,” Lord Firith interrupted.

“I know, but it was hard, hard to leave them,” Ewen said, his voice speaking with some emotion.

Firith paused in thought for a moment, then came to a quick decision. “There’s not a moment to lose! Why don’t you get a rest, your horses will no doubt need it, too. We’ll pull the army together and march at noon!”

“Excellent, my Lord.” Ewen smiled. He had to restrain himself from steepling his fingers.

“As before, your place is with the vanguard,” the Baron said.

“I welcome it!”

After being given her orders by Sir Baris, Tora gave the White Ravens the news personally. She assembled the bedraggled mercenary company, who she had not seen for several days. Fortunately discipline had not waned too much. Some of the men were sober.

“We march at noon for Caer Olokand!” The men mumbled at this.

“Up Sir Baris!” Tora yelled. She was concerned not to hear the accustomed grumbled reply. “Not to worry, men, I’ve seen the Vikings of Olokand up close, and they aren’t a problem. Anyone who thinks they are, can go home now. No, wait, come back, come back here!”

By the evening of the twelfth, Baris and Ewen returned to Aerth, this time with the Kaldoric army. As was the case the last time the army passed through just a week or so before, they were of insufficient rank to stay in the manor, and so slept on their bedrolls under the stars. That was probably for the best, Baris thought. His face still stung.

Nolus 13-14, 732

It was a wet, dirty slog to Ovendel. By the fourteenth, the rain let up, but it was still muddy. By the end of the day, the leading edge of the army arrived on the eastern side of the Kald, across Ovendel. There were no Vikings in sight.

As he lead the army across the bridge, Ewen made sure that his arms were prominently displayed. On the other side, he found the gates to castle were closed.

As she crossed the bridge, Kaelyn looked down at the water set her thoughts to solving the puzzle of how to retrieve the gold lying on the bottom of the river. How to make gold float?

Firith and Prehil rode to the head of the line. “We’re here! Olokand is saved!” Firith yelled up to the battlements.

“We saved ourselves three days ago, while you were sitting on your fat arse in Heru!” the guard on duty said, and then popped off. From the quick glimpse he got, Baris thought it might have been Martin.

Firith was suitably annoyed at this insolence, and Prehil was even more offended. However, Firith appeared to understand the sentiment of the remark, and chose to overlook it. Although the Baron did mutter, “I may have been sitting on it, but it’s not fat.”

Baris noted that the Viking corpses that had been there a few days before were not in evidence. From the sickly sweet smell in the air, it was likely they had been burned. Although probably without Sarajinian ceremonies, he mused. No doubt the Kaldoric casualties had been interred according to Laranian or Peonian custom.

Tora watched as the bulk of the army arrived. The Order of the Lady of Paladins, the forces of various sheriffs, Kogan and the White Rays, Sir Scina and Sir Karison Dariune, and the forces of the Earl of Balim were in evidence. Vemion had also sent men, led by Sir Stareton Valador. Of course, the Baron of Kolorn’s forces had been almost entirely wiped out. Ansarn Verdreth and others of the Baron of Ternua’s army were nowhere to be seen, nor was the Royal Guard.

Nolus 15 732
Olokand

Sir Baris awoke in his own room in Caer Olokand. Although technically not of sufficient rank to be afforded quarters in the castle, the Prince had intervened. It was only proper, considering how he and Sir Ewen had fared in the battle just a few days before. The knight looked out the window upon a beautiful Harnic day: partly cloudy, with no rain.

After seeing to his morning ablutions, Baris dressed and went into the hallway. The noises of the hustle and bustle of a busy castle assaulted his ears. The knight dodged a servant carrying a particularly full chamber pot to the privy. The castle was pretty packed. He recalled some knights bedding down in the great hall the night before.

Ewen’s room was nearby, and Baris went to see his companion.

“Let’s go see what’s going on,” Ewen said. The knights went off to be seen and see if any important meetings were occurring, but they left instructions on where they could be found if messengers came to their rooms to summon them to a council meeting.

There were some worthies in the Upper Hall, Ewen reported. No doubt he was using his Deryni abilities to extend his senses through the door. “But the Prince and Firith aren’t there, nor are the Dariunes. Just Stareton Valador and the various Sheriffs,” Ewen said. “Let’s go find Firith and Brandis.”

Ewen wanted to be where the action was, Baris thought, and this clearly was not a place high enough for his rising star.

“Let us go see who is in the Lower Hall,” Ewen said. That, of course, was where the throne room was.

Ewen and Baris’s entry to the Lower Hall was marked, mainly because Ewen was known as one of the Captains. Sir Edric was not in evidence, nor were anyone else of note.

Ewen looked significantly at the throne room. Baris imagined he was using his Deryni abilities again, and was looking through the wood. Ewen chuckled. “Prehil, Firith, the Dariunes, and Sir Houla are all in there. That is where I – we should be.”

Baris nodded.

“They are wondering where the Vikings are, as well as the location of the gold from the silver caravan. Of course, we know the answers to those questions.” Ewen looked at Baris. “Now they’re talking about Neph.” Ewen laughed, and then his eyes widened. “Excellent! Prehil and Firith want to ask us about the Viking’s plans. Let’s hurry off, Prehil is coming to find us. It would not do for him to find us eavesdropping.”

“Ewen, Baris, just the knights I was looking for!” Prehil exclaimed when he found the pair a short time later in the Upper Hall. “Baris, I’m surprised you aren’t in the arms of some wench!” Prehil said. “You two, come with me, you’re wanted in council.”

“What news, Sir Prehil?” Ewen asked as they walked.

Prehil sighed. “No news, but a lot of gum-flapping, and people figuring out what to do.” He looked at Baris. “I figured we didn’t have enough blockheads, so I’d come and find you. Olokand has been saved, but now it’s time to see if we can whip those Vikings so badly they’ll never come back!”

“Oh, I’m not going to whip them, I’m going to slash them!” Baris said.

Meanwhile, Tora, Kaelyn, and Cekiya went for a walk in town to see how it had fared. They saw few young women about, and asked some of the peasants about this. They learned that the Vikings had taken most of the women of age with them – only men and only old, young, or ugly women remained.

There was much work to do. Knights were directing men-at-arms who were tearing down the Viking’s palisade. Busy as it was, though, the activity in town was nothing like what it was when Kaelyn was there for the tournament. Mostly peasants were trying to get their lives back in order after the Viking occupation.

There were a few vendors in Mycepris square trying to hold a market. Mostly they were selling unappetizing food at exorbitant prices. Some soldiers, in search of diversion, milled about the marketplace.

The three women went to check on Reylene’s shop. While the building still stood, the shop was closed for the moment. A sign outside the Kald & Castle announced that it too was closed.

Most of the army was bivouacked on the North Common. Tora checked on the White Ravens, and bid Kaelyn and Cekiya adieu.

“Good morning, my lords,” Ewen said to the assembled men, including Lord Firith, Sir Houla, and the Dariunes. He and Baris took their seats at the table.

“Good morning, Sir Ewen, have you eaten?” The table was piled high with food and drink. Now that the army had arrived, there was no thought of dining on horse. “Do partake, from my personal store. I don’t know how long it was last.”

Baris took some food and quite a bit of ale.

“One of the most important considerations facing the army,” Ewen mused.

“Probably the most important, the Vikings being number two!” Firith said.

Well, they are pretty shitty, Baris thought idly, smirking.

“I would ask your council on the Vikings?” Firith asked.

“Do we have intelligence from Setrew or Baseta?” Ewen asked.

“We have not,” Firith reported. “We know the Vikings didn’t take their boats south. They may have taken them north.”

“I agree with you my Lord,” Ewen said. “I would have imagined with a flotilla that size we would have heard intelligence had they gone south. It seems to me, my lord, the overriding concern at this time is the fate of the Silver Caravan’s treasure.”

The Dariune’s nodded in agreement with this sentiment. “That’s what I was saying, my Lord,” Sir Scina said.

“While, no doubt my Lord, the defense of this castle was stout and unflagging, I find it strange the Vikings abandoned it when so close to their goal,” Ewen said. “It occurs to me they may have feared your arrival on the scene, and they made moves to take the Silver Caravan’s treasure before we got here.”

“I would like to think that, but you may have noticed it took us three whole days to get here, and they must have known that. If they were about to take the castle, it could have been us investing them.” The Baron paused and turned to Baris. “Sir Baris, you are twisting in your seat, do you have something to say?”

“It just occurs to me that this needn’t have been a problem, since we lost the Silver Caravan based on the great dereliction of duty on the part of the Earl of Neph!” Baris exclaimed, and slammed his mug on the table in emphasis.

There was some muttering at this – here was Sir Baris, a mere knight, questioning the honor of an earl.

Prehil silenced those assembled when he agreed. “Sir Baris has a point. Where is Neph in all of this?”

Lord Firith seemed like he was about to speak back to Baris, but held his tongue when his son spoke. “Neph will one day have to answer for his role in all of this, but this is not that day.” He sipped his wine. “Getting back to the matter at hand, since we are fairly certain the Vikings didn’t go down the river, they must have gone up the river.” Firith poked a finger under his eyepatch and scratched unconsciously. “I haven’t yet had the opportunity to talk about the situation at length with Brandis.”

“What of Sir Erdril and his squire his brother Branal?” Ewen asked.

Firith turned to his son. “You know these northern lords better than I, what’s the answer?”

“Erdril is a nephew or distant cousin of the Baron of Setrew,” Prehil said. “He isn’t here serving as a member of that clan, he’s part of the garrison of Olokand.”

A knight-bachelor like myself, Baris mused.

“As my Lord Firith has pointed out,” Ewen said, “the Vikings have withdrawn a number of days ago, and assuming they went north, they have either withdrawn beyond Baseta and out of the bounds of the kingdom into the wilderness or they have not gone so far, and are at either Baseta or Setrew. If the latter, time is of the essence if we are to recover the silver caravan treasure. If the former, it may be too late, but what other alternatives do we have?”

“He’s right!” Firith exclaimed. “We need to know what’s going on in Setrew and Baseta! I propose to send two squadrons of knights to ride north, scout, not engage the Vikings if they are there, and report back as quickly as they can! Any objections?”

“Just what I would do,” Scina said.

Houla gave Scina a withering look, and then looked at Firith. “An excellent idea, my Lord. I propose the knights of the Order of the Lady of Paladins for this mission.”

“I was hoping you would,” Firith said. “The job is yours.”

“Milord, I shall lead the force myself.”

Firith looked thoughtful for a moment. “No, Sir Houla, you will not. It is a dangerous mission, and I am loathe to risk you in it. Choose your best man to command it, but you will stay here.”

Sir Houla’s face became red and it looked as if he was about to say something, but he swallowed his anger. “As you wish my lord, you are in command of this army. With your leave, I will go issue the orders,” he said, but his expression finished his thought: “before I say something I’ll regret,” it said. With that Houla rose and exited the chamber.

There were a few moments of uncomfortable silence, and then Prehil said “Is that pork sausage?” and proceeded to fill his plate.

You can always count of Prehil to break the tension, Baris thought. And it was usually something about porking.

“Where is the Prince?” Baris asked.

Firith looked uncomfortable. The Dariunes and Prehil smirked.

“He’s had a rough few weeks,” Prehil said. “He’s taking a little vacation in his chambers.”

Baris nodded in understanding, wondering who the lucky lady was.

With his one good eye, Firith looked disapprovingly at the overlusty young knights.

That evening Ewen took dinner alone in his chambers. He sat at his table and schemed, considering his options. It might make sense to see what his father-in-law was up to.

Around eight o’clock evening, Ewen attempted to clairvoy the Earl of Vemion. He closed his eyes and steadied his mind. He stretched out into the ether, opened his mind’s eye, and found himself looking through Vemion’s eyes. He was looking at a dagger. He focused on the blade, admiring its keenness, when suddenly it stabbed outward, into a slab of meat. The meat was placed on a trencher, and the eyes moved. Ewen saw the smiling face of the Lady Bresyn Risai, and watched in horror as her lips form the words, “Thank you my dear.” Vemion’s eyes looked down as the woman cut the meat, which she offered Ewen’s father-in-law.

As he chewed, Vemion glanced about. Ewen noticed it was not a large hall. It reminded the knight of the hall of a manor house rather than a castle. He noticed some servants standing around, but no one he recognized.

When Vemion looked back at Lady Bresyn, he noticed a ring of betrothal on her hand.

Ewen opened his eyes and looked around his own room with his own eyes. This was troubling news indeed. He would have to tell Rahel as soon as possible.

Around ten o’clock Ewen prepared his mind to communicate with his sister. He was very calm, and felt he was beginning to master this ability. It was almost as if he was looking through a window when he saw Rahel’s face through the mirror. He could see her pout quite clearly.

“Dear brother, with you off in the wars, I haven’t heard from you. I thought perhaps you were in the arms of a wench.”

“I have seen my father-in-law in the arms of another wench,” Ewen said. “I found the lady Bresyn Risai feeding Vemion tidbits of roast and mouthing endearments in his direction,” Ewen explained. “She also had a sign of a recent wedding on her finger.”

“I would blame lady Donesyn Dariune,” Rahel said with steel in her voice. “I saw her not very long ago; she remarked I was putting on weight,” she snapped.

Ewen quickly choked back a chuckle.

Rahel continued, as if she hadn’t noticed. “And I asked her about Lady Bresyn, and she said Bresyn had left the city to find a greater happiness.” She sighed. “I suppose I should have followed up on that, but I was a little miffed, as you can understand. I am as lean as any pregnant woman ought to be. Speaking of which, my brother, our son has become even more active of late. He is almost to the point of demanding I eat certain foods.”

“I am sure he is a willful child.”

“It’s not like he can form the words in his mind, although Deryni children are quite precocious that way, but he keeps sending me images of fruit.”

“I am sure a pear or an apple will do no harm to your figure, dear sister.”

“That’s not very funny,” Rahel said sharply, eyeing Ewen through the mirror.

“I confess my mind is more preoccupied with the possibility that the Caldeth family tree should be unduly burdened with an excessive amount of Deryni children,” Ewen said, quickly changing the subject.

“When you think about it, it’s a brilliant counter-move by Bresyn,” Rahel acknowledged.

“You must wonder, does she take orders from our uncle?”

“I imagine she does,” Rahel agreed. “But that would be an extreme order coming from Uncle Darebor.”

“Of course. Nevertheless, a brilliant counterstroke.” Ewen paused in thought. “We really are going to need to develop better intelligence on that side of the kingdom.”

“I think, brother, that it might be time for your little adventure with the army to come to an end,” Rahel said. “I think you are needed in Tashal to deal with this new threat.” She gave her brother a significant look. “I haven’t told you this, and I suppose I should have, but extremely adept Deryni have the ability to influence the sex selection of their children in the womb. It’s not foolproof, but I willed you a son, and a son you have. I imagine Bresyn would do the same. It would be best if you can detach entirely, but if you can’t, leave that Baris person in charge.”

Ewen sighed at that worrying thought.

“Don’t get caught up in any wild adventures that lose the site of the main chance,” Rahel warned.

“No,” Ewen replied. “I shall not”
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle