Session One Hundred and One - April 27, 2013

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session One Hundred and One - April 27, 2013

Postby Matt » Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 am

Larane 7, 732

Ewen watches as Longhal’s body was placed into a barrel and rolled out the door by Rolloch’s men. He indicates that the still unconscious Sotor is to be placed on a pallet in the attic quarters. He tells Rolloch to not to detain Sotor, but to let Ewen know when he wakes. Aeomund asks what they should do with Sir Prehil. The group says just to leave him, as they are not sure they feel up to carrying him home. Ewen watches as the Baris leaves for his bed at the Elf and Dwarf and watches the rest of the party climb up the stairs to bed. He nods to the silent shadow that is Cekiya and departs to Hag Hall to speak with Rahel as promised.

The party meets for a late breakfast in Ewen’s study. The talk turns to Earl of Vemion and his new bride, more specifically how to get them out of the way of their plans, either dead or discredited. The party prefers dead. Baris thinks that the Earl is at the Baron of Kolorn’s castle and that the party should ride out immediately to check.

Ewen holds his hand to stay Baris and his excitement. ‘The challenge we face is that Bresyn is shielding herself and the Earl. She is using arcane means to conceal their location and perhaps wards, similar to the ones I use, to protect them. I have taken steps to ascertain where they have gone and when the info is available we can act. Until then we will not find them easily, Sir Baris. It is clear from the testimony from Kolorn, that Bresyn is checking on things. I am unsure if she can do the same to me.”

“You mean she could be spying on us right now? At anytime? I do a lot of private stuff!” Baris exclaims affronted.

Ewen shakes his head slightly, “I can put up wards myself and that might help.” Ewen takes a moment to compose himself and rises and places the wards around the party. Ewen mentions that he could leave them up indefinitely but it would most likely raise the suspicion of the servants when they came to clean the room. He explains that the servants would just bounce back against an invisible barrier and that the Lady Bresyn would face a similar problem if she was using wards.

Once Ewen indicated that the wards were active the party begins to discuss what to do with the Baron of Kolorn. He is quickly out-living his usefulness as an ally. The Earl could and most likely will replace him sooner rather than later. Someone suggests gouging Kolorn’s eyes out and blaming the Earl. Cekiya is quickly behind this plan. She even suggests some methods she could use to do it. Baris also likes the idea a lot. The party discusses the pros and cons of this idea and after a brief discussion it is decided that Cekiya will blind their next door neighbor tonight. Ewen informs the party that the correct term is enucleation.

Aeomund, slightly disturbed by the easy way the party talks of maiming a peer of the realm and attempting to discredit an earl, turns the conversation to something he feels is safer. He tells Ewen that he should hold a tournament.

“Where? Varayne? I don’t know. People always try to kill me in these things.”

“Also, we need squires,” Aeomund continues.

“Oh, because that always works out so well,” Kaelyn replies.

Ewen, focusing on the greater issue, continues, “I would need the King’s approval,” Ewen smiles, “Perhaps I could call upon my new friend, the prince, to help me appeal to his father. I could also not participate.”

Suddenly from the great hall the party hears a commotion. Cekiya runs to the peephole and peeps down into the great hall. She sees Prehil, while the party merely hears him bellow, “What bell has rung? I’m late! I need to be at the castle.” Cekiya watches as Prehil runs out the door. This seems to be the unspoken signal that the group has nothing more to discuss and they leave.

Ewen holds Cekiya back. He turns to his little adder and gives her instructions for tonight. “Before you remove his eyes tell him, ‘This is for betraying Declaen Caldeth.’ He must not know who you are. Cekiya, there is no failing me on this.”

Cekiya nods, “The god has chosen you. I am yours to command. I will not fail.”

Ewen nods, “Now, this is a different matter. Be watchful for a sign that will appear across from the front door. It may take awhile. Then go to temple and bring back the infomation about the hatter and his apprentice.”

Ewen dismisses Cekiya, and sends his awareness out to search for Danyes. Ewen perceives nothing wrong until he comes up against an opaque shimmering mother-of-pearl-like barrier. He tries but cannot penetrate it. He pulls his mind back and relaxes again. He searches for the Earl of Vemion. The barrier reappears. Again, he regroups and sends out thought, this time to the great hall of Minarsas. He sees limited activity. A few servants appear and begin, what appears to be, the normal routine of cleaning the hall.

As Ewen searches for those he is interested in, Sotor awakes in a strange room. He sees many other pallets and men at arms lounging on duty. He hears a comment made by one, “Sleeping beauty is awake.”

Sotor sits up and addresses the one he thinks spoke, ‘Goodman, tell me I still am in the confines of Raven Hall!”

“You are in the house of Sir Ewen.” The man says.

“Is my host around?”

“He is usually in his study in the morning. He does not like to be disturbed, but if you go downstairs you could find something to soothe your head.”

Sotor gets up and goes downstairs, noting the men do not follow. He sees Aeomund and Baris dancing some sort of jig and chanting something in a sing-song tune. Sotor can’t quite make out what they are saying, but it sounds like “A tourney, A tourney, We’re gonna have a tourney.” Sotor looks around the rest of the hall and see Kaelyn finishing a letter. Cekiya comes in from the kitchen. She was inspecting the damage. She tells those who care to listen that the stonework is scorched but not damaged. The upper level wooden exterior was not damaged at all; just some sheen where the oil was poured. The door and shutters need to be replaced.

“I take it last evening resolved itself satisfactory,” Sotor says as he pours himself a small beer.

“It is I, Sir Baris; there was no real danger. But yes, the fire was put out successfully.”

“The rapids of the Urven do tramp and tread and so does my head.”

“You were knocked unconscious. We found you laying in the street.” Baris says helpfully.

“But the fire was put out.” Sotor says, trying to piece together his last memory of the night.

“Yes, we are not standing in embers. So, what happened?”

“I saw a rather perturbed looking man with a large hat.”

“Perhaps you had too much ale,” Kaelyn says putting a seal on her letter.

“That and the smoke. Nights with Prehil often end in odd ways. Shame about the ale for it was good.” Baris says.

“If you’ll excuse me,” Sotor says and goes outside to inspect where he saw the fire burning. He examines the wall but can’t figure out how the fire went out. He comes back in shaking his head. “I have no idea how the fire was extinguished.”

Cekiya leaves the four in the hall, discussing the fire and goes to Uldis’s room. She searches through his belongings with a purpose. Luckily the boy was unaware of just what treasure he had, and she quickly finds the pearl Imarë left to him before she departed.

Walin knocks on Ewen’s door. He has come to ask Ewen for an increase in the household budget to replace the door and shutters. Ewen hands over an extra 50d. Walin thanks Ewen and then brings up the expense of Uldis’s cremation and sending the ashes back to his family. Ewen hands over a bit more money. Before Walin leaves, he informs Ewen that Sotor is awake and in the great hall.

Ewen walks downstairs and hears Aeomund and Baris in a discussion about squires.

“We need squires. Mine will come from the Order of the Lady of Paladins. You, are out of luck.” Aeomund says with a grin.

“Gee, thanks.” Baris responds.

“Aeomund, I have a task for you.” Ewen says standing at the head of the table. “Find out where the Prince is.

“Baris, perhaps you would be better served with a disciple from the temple of Sarajin.”

Baris thinks that Ewen has had another great idea, until he realizes Ewen was joking as there are no noble youths there.

“Master Sotor, good morning. I am sorry I could not give you a more restful evening after dinner.”

“It was a curious night.”

“Have you broken your fast?” At Sotor’s shake of the head, Ewen instructs Walin to bring up some food for Sotor in Ewen’s study.

“At your convenience,” Sotor says.

Ewen and Sotor go upstairs. Immediately upon entering Ewen’s study, Sotor is captivated by the astroglobe in the corner depicting the Kelestian solar system.

“This is magnificent.”

“It came with the house,” Ewen drolly replies before expanding on the subject, “The previous owner was a Shek P’var. What do you make of it?”

“I have seen similar in Tengala. None elsewhere. Are there many Shek P’var here?”

“This is the largest city in Kaldor. There are some number. They tend to be private. The house’s previous tenant was showier. He once threatened to change the color of the Kald to match that season’s color. I understand he had the power to do so.”

“I have inspected the area of the fire and cannot see how it came to be extinguished.”

“Do you have a theory of how you came to be extinguished?”

“I am trying to piece that together. I saw an angry man,” Sotor describes a man that Ewen knows to be Aethel Atan, “Then the next thing I remember I woke up. You survived and the house survived.”

“Indeed. That particular source of peril has been dealt with. I believe you had brief encounter with my neighbor. A curious individual. You may have the opportunity to meet him with you stay with me. I imagine he was doing a neighborly good turn and perceived you as interference.”

“Perhaps even the arsonist.”

“I wish to ask you about a few things in particular,” replied Sir Ewen ignoring the potential confession of a crime. “You mentioned tales of Deryni prince on Tharda. Tell me more.” Ewen smiles as he speaks and after taking a deep breath begins to use his natural ability to tell falsehood from truth.

“Yes, in Natha in far Dalkesh I had a conversation with a pair of pilgrims from Harn on way to Manquideh. I was intrigued because I heard Harnic being spoken. I learned as child and that dialect is rare in that region. Over the course of several days I heard this story. A prince named Arren managed to seize a monarchy and kingdom with a successful campaign to Kanday. They said he was a Deryni.” Sotor tells his tale, watching Ewen’s face for reaction. “You seem knowledgeable.”

“The Deryni prince referenced married a Pelanby. You know he is deceased and his son, Arren II sits on the throne.”

“No, I did not know that.”

“How did you come by your interest in the Deryni?”

“A branch of the family is Deryni, so there is the heredity element. I brought up the subject last night when asked about matters on the continent and the conversation merely flowed that way. “

“The way you described the matter indicated to me you had an interest in this Deryni prince uniting the island. I should warn you that such a concept would be received poorly.”

“It was perhaps poor wording on my part. To my knowledge Kaldor’s king is in no danger.”

“No, and I would suggest you don’t say anything to suggest otherwise,” Ewen pauses when Walin enters the room carrying a small trencher of food. “Are you alone on your travels to Harn or do you have a patron?”

“That is a valid question. I am my own master. I have no house nor can found one. I come and go as I please looking for interesting stories and people.”

Ewen nods to himself, “Allow me to make an proposal to you. Not that we should take last night as typical, I think that you will find that if you and I were to remain acquaintances, you will find some interesting people. I, myself, have a curiosity of the continent and if I were to be your Patron on Harn, you will find some closed doors open for you. What say you?”

“I am at your service. May I ask, is there a catalog of the library?” Sotor says considering the affair a done deal and eyeing the book-lined shelves.

“Now that we have come to an agreement, my library is at your disposal. There is no written catalog as of yet.

“One more word, Sotor before you inspect the shelves; I would ask and expect discretion on your part. I play a significant role in the kingdom and any talk of Deryni would not do.”

“No issue there that is quite practical. Speaking of practicalities, shall I maintain a lodge at the Red Fox and for the time being shall we be careful of how often we see each other?”

“That is fine. We will work something out for methods of communication.” Ewen nods to Sotor to continue his breakfast.

Ewen sends a message to Sir Rollard that the danger has past, but there is some repair work that needs to be done. A response is quick in the reply that Sir Rollard had been informed by her ladyship that ‘She will return when it suits her and not a moment before.’

Baris and Aeomund depart for the morning. Baris is on a mission to find himself a squire and Aeomund decides to come with for the fun of it. Baris thinks that perhaps a visit to the College of Heralds is in order, surely they have a list of young nobles whose families he could contact about allowing the youth to squire. They pass through Mangai square. As it is raining hard it is not as crowded as it would normally be.

At the College of Heralds, a junior herald lets them in and informs them that Sir Rohn is busy and no, he doesn’t know when he will be free. Baris tells the junior herald that he since he was gifted Selepan by Sir Ewen, he can take care of a squire now. Aeomund sighs and tells the herald that Baris would like a list of high name, low wealth young men to be made into a productive member of society. The young herald, not looking that much more informed, asks the two knights if this is a formal request and if so, would whoever is making the request to just sign here. Baris signs and the herald tells him that Sir Rohn will most likely assign someone to look into the matter. Baris is happy with this and tells the herald that he can be found at the Elf and Dwarf once a candidate is found. Aeomund grabs Baris and pushes him out the door as nicely as possible telling the herald, “he meant list, list of candidates, we know you don’t provide candidates.”

As the two Knights walk away a cloaked person comes up to Baris, “Sir Baris, I am so glad to have found you.” The man pushes his hood slightly away from his face, so Baris can see it is his tenant Sir Andorkil Runder.

“Oh, Sir Andorkil, how are you.” Baris says.

“Wonderful. I have something to discuss with you, if you have time. I would be glad to buy you and your friend a ale at the Red Fox now.”

“I never say no to a ale.”

Once seated with ales in front of them, Sir Andorkil continues, “I have a matter of great importance.” Baris notices that Sir Andorkil seems happy. Considering the very few times he had met with his tenant, this appears to be out of character for him. “I recently came into some good fortune. I wish to purchase my dwelling.”

“But it’s mine.” Baris says without thinking.

“Yes, I wish to purchase it from you.”

“I would need, I mean, you would need to speak with my lawyer, Marhet of Lak.” Baris says, buying himself some time to think. He thinks Tora would be proud of him for taking a moment and not rushing into a business deal over some ale.

“But I have your permission to make an offer?” At Baris’s nod, Sir Andorkil continues, “I have been living in that building for many years. My father lived there before me. I won’t lowball you, Sir Baris. I offer 40 pounds.”

Baris starts to choke on his ale, “That sounds like it might work. Let’s talk to Pesera about that.”

Aeomund speaks up, “He will take it under consideration?”

“Is Pesera your man of business?” Andorkil asks, “We can look at the offer right now, I have the paperwork right here.” Andorkil reaches into his cloak and pulls out a piece of paper and lays it in front of Baris.

Aeomund, takes the paper, rolls it up, and hands it to Baris. “You should have Marhet look at this before thinking any further.”

“Wonderful, shall we say noon tomorrow at Marhet?” Andorkil asks, pushing the idea to Baris.

Baris agrees. Aeomund and Baris leave to go talk with Marhet about the offer and to set up a meeting for tomorrow at noon.

Kaelyn, having been tasked with finding out who owns Sir Danyes’s house, has just arrived at Marhet’s. She knocks on the door and is greeted coolly by the housekeeper, who is much less frightened than the last time Kaelyn saw her. Kaelyn introduces herself as a member of Sir Ewen Ravinargh’s retinue and asks to speak with Marhet. The housekeeper’s demeanor instantly changes and Kaelyn is ushered inside and is offered all sorts of goodies. Kaelyn politely turns them down until the housekeeper finally wins and Kaelyn agrees to tea. The housekeeper hurries away to tell Marhet that he has a visitor and to fetch the tea. A short time later the housekeeper returns and leads Kaelyn into Marhet’s office.

“KAELYN OF ALETTA TO SEE YOU!” The housekeeper shouts at Marhet.

“I AM NOT DEAF! I AM HUNCHBACKED NOT DEAF!” Marhet shouts back. He shuffles to his feet and greets Kaelyn, “Kaelyn, it is pleasing to see you. Is all well?”

“All is well, thank you.”

“Ah good, now on to business.”

“Sir Ewen has tasked me to find the owner of the property that Sir Danyes Bernan currently resides in.”

Marhet nods and stand, “If you will excuse me for a bit.” Kaelyn hears him mutter to himself “I need a clerk.”

The housekeeper comes in with Kaelyn’s tea and hovers for a bit just in case Kaelyn wants anything else. Kaelyn waits a while sipping tea until Marhet returns, carrying lots of papers and scrolls.

“Sir Danyes Bernan, constable of Kyg?” At Kaelyn’s nod, he continues, “Kyg is subinfeudated to the Earldom of Balim. Oh, this is interesting. Oh My. The house belongs to one Halime of Falesh.”

Kaelyn bursts out laughing. “Thank you Marhet, this certainly makes my day.”

“I am happy to have done something.”

The housekeeper comes in again and offers to refresh Kaelyn’s tea .

“No, thank you. I am finished and am on my way out.”

“WOULD YOU LIKE TEA MASTER LAK?”

“NO!”

“If there is nothing else, then I shall just send the bill to Sir Ewen.” Marhet says as Kaelyn departs.

On her way out she runs into Sirs Baris and Aeomund. She tells them of her finding that Halime is the owner of the much desired property.

“Is that even legal?” Baris asks.

“Of course, he’s only been suspected of crime.” Kaelyn says.

“Oh. Oh, guess what! Sir Andorkil wants to give me £40 for that building. 40 pounds!” Baris exclaims.

“Good for you Baris. When fortune rains, it pours,” Kaelyn says looking at the rain streaming down.

Aeomund and Baris walk inside where the housekeeper attempts to greet them.

“No time for niceties, we must see the litigant.” Aeomund says strolling back towards the direction of the office.

“Oh, wait. Do you have any ale?” Baris asks. The housekeeper happily says yes and that she will bring it to them.

“Sir Baris! One moment. Were you with Kaelyn?”

“No, but we saw as she was leaving and we were entering.”

“So, you are here on other business. And who are you?” Marhet asks. Sir Baris introduces Sir Aeomund and then gets down to the reason he is here.

“You know the house I own in Eastside. A tenant wants to purchase it. I was wondering the fair market price.”

“What is he offering?”

“40 pounds!”

“Let me check. You are in luck, I have all the relevant paperwork here. Oh yes, yes. I helped transfer that deed. You said £40 … could it be worth £40?” Mahet begins to mutter as he does some calculations.

“Don’t forget to take into consideration the projected income of the rental property.” Aeomund tells Baris.

Marhet looks up, “You would make £40 in 5 and a half years.”

“It might be worth it to sell now and not worry.” Baris says.

“I am just a lawyer.” Marhet says going back to his paper.

“On a different but related vein, what is the property value of Sir Danyes’s house?” Aeomund asks.

“One piece of business at a time. Ah yes, £40 is a fair offer.”

Baris wonders if he could get more, while Marhet wonders why they want to know about Sir Danyes’s house if they were here on different business than Kaelyn. Aeomund explains that Kaelyn was sent before they knew of this property and they’re just curious. Perhaps Baris could purchase it and trade up. Marhet finds that funny, thinking that Halime would likely not sell. Baris wonders if he should buy another business. As Marhet does the calculations on the property, and there is a lot of property, Baris and Aeomund discuss what is proper for a knight such as Sir Baris to do with the possible £40.

The housekeeper comes in again with more ale for Baris and asks loudly, again, if Marhet wants anything. Marhet yells at her to get out. He turns to the two knights and tells them that the approximate value of the house and property is £280. Baris loses his smile and feels the happy elation of nothing can go wrong fading quickly. They thank Marhet for his time and tell him that Sir Andorkil and they will be back around noon tomorrow to discuss the sale of the tenement in Eastside. The two knights leave and get the brilliant idea to go talk to Pesera if he knows exactly how much Sir Andorkil made. Perhaps Sir Baris could get more for the tenement.

At the Hall of Mangai they find Pesera unavailable and the journeyman unaware of Pesera’s schedule. The leave word that they would like to speak with Pesera if he has a moment free in the next few hours.

Back at Raven Hall Walin knocks on Ewen’s door. “So sorry to intrude sir, but there is an enormous underdressed man at the kitchen, uh, opening.”

“That is most likely Aethal Atan’s manservant.”

“Well, all he has said is ‘Ewen.’”

“Perhaps I could go down.”

“Well, either you or the men who eat a lot upstairs should.”

“I’ll come down,” Ewen says.

As Ewen suspected, he finds Numeq, Aethal’s servant, by where the kitchen door was. Numeq bows, and points to Ewen. ‘Ewen. Tonight.’

Ewen nods, “Shall I bring friends?” Ewen holds up a number of fingers to indicate a large number of the party.

Numeq points at either the four or five fingers, “Master says Blue dress.”

“Yes.”

“Tonight.”

“Yes, thank you.”

Numeq bows low again. “Ewen. Tonight.” He leaves.

Ewen turns to Walin and tells him to send a message to Sotor at the Red Fox that they have a dinner invitation with Aethal Atan tonight, and a message to Baris at the Elf and Dwarf saying the same thing.

As the knights leave Mangai square and head to the Elf and Dwarf to drink and think some more, Sir Aeomund takes a few moments to finish his business for the day. He sends a note of thanks to the Captain of the Guard for access to the city walls and invites him on a hunt at some later date. He also sends a note to Lady Alyce thanking her for her conversation at the Earl of Balim’s party. He leaves Baris at the Elf and Dwarf as he goes to Temple of Larani to speak with Sir Houla about getting a squire. He finds that Sir Houla has returned to the Chapter House at Whyce. This is a small foil in Aeomund’s plans. He was going to use Sir Houla as a guage of interest in a possible tournament sponsored by Sir Ewen. Aeomund sends a message to Sir Houla that he is trying to find a squire who is a disciple of Saint Erkenwald and of Sir Remiu. Having no luck at the temple, Sir Aeomund goes back to the Elf and Dwarf where he and Baris decide that they should go find Sir Prehil as he would know where the Prince is.

At Sir Prehil’s house a young servant answers the door. The servant informs the two that Sir Prehil is not in at the moment. After a brief reassurance that they do not mean to get Prehil in trouble the servant tells them, “I don’t know where specifically he went. He could be at the place he calls the watering hole or he could be at the place he calls the stables.”

“To the stables!” Baris exclaims.

Sir Aeomund smacks his forehead and tells Baris to give the girl a coin. They leave and go to the house of courtesans. After a brief discussion with the lady in charge, who did not come and say that Prehil was not around but strongly hinted at it, they decide to try Galopea’s Feast.

On their way to Galopea’s feast, they pass by Sir Danyes’s house. They see men carrying out heavily wrapped man sized packages and a few smaller head sized ones as well. The foreman on the job tells the knights “Nothing to see here. Just an outbreak of swords.”

Aeomund replies, “Perhaps it was outbreak of giants.” He and Baris laugh, while the men who heard this comment, look confused.

At Galopea’s Feast, Mak of Ashel greets them. They inquire if Sir Prehil is dining there tonight and are directed to the second floor. Unless of course he is already on the third floor and then there is no disturbing him. They find Sir Prehil on the second floor talking with a man they don’t recognize. The man is younger, wearing rich looking clothing with a lordly bearing to him.

“Baris!”

“Prehil!”

“Get over here!”

“I was coming over.”

“Aeomund!”

“Prehil!”

“Keep spending this kind of time with Baris and you’ll need a new liver.”

“Sotor might know about those matters,” Baris says as he comes to stand near Prehil.

“Who?”

“The strange fellow from last night.” Baris supplies.

“I’ll tell you Meden, I have the most interesting times at Sir Ewen’s table.”

“We have not been introduced,” Baris says to Prehil.

“Baris, Aeomund this is Sir Meden Curo.”

Meden does not rise, but does shake their hands.

“Sir Baris Tyrestal.” Meden says greeting him.

“It is I,” Baris replies thoughts churning in his head.

“Sir Aeomund Legith of the Lady of Paladins.” Meden greets Aeomund.

“Have a seat.” Prehil says throwing an arm around Baris and Aeomund and pulling them down. “Bring more ale!”

“There is a pitcher before you.” Meden says.

“So there is. Bring another one.”

“You echo my thoughts Prehil.” Baris says.

“I hear you paid my father a visit in town once, Sir Baris.” Meden says.

“I did. I also paid Gardiren a visit during the Viking infestation. I did not see your father, while his lands were ravaged.” Baris speaks.

“Baris, no.” Prehil says, putting a warning hand on the knight’s shoulder.

Sir Aeomund speaks up, “Sir Prehil, as a citizen of Tashal, I need to speak with you as an alderman.”

Prehil looks at Aeomund, with a slightly confused expression on his face, “Well I am the alderman to the nobles and you are a noble.”

“I just need a moment of your time privately.”

“By Ilvir’s slimy Beaks, just talk. You can talk in front of Baris.”

“He is not a citizen and there is money invested.”

“Well, I am rich.” Prehil says with a laugh, pouring more ale.

Aeomund picks up Prehil, who grabs his beer, and they walk down to the end of the hall.

Meden watches them go, his face still tight with anger over Baris’s comment about his father. “That seems a very tart judgment from a hedge knight.”

“I was serving in the King’s military against the Vikings in noble battle, while your father was holed up in his castle. I did not have time to visit his cowering ass.”

Meden Curo, the heir to the Earldom of Neph, stands. Baris stands along with him. Sir Meden’s men at the next table over stand as well, but Meden holds his hand out to stay their progress, “I have heard things about you, clearly in error, retainer of Sir Ewen Ravinargh”

“I am a retainer of Ewen’s now.”

“I expect him to answer for your boorish behavior.”

“You will not challenge me?”

“I would not challenge you to scrape the remains from my boot.

“Prehil, I find I do not care for your drinking companion.

“Again, Sir Baris, I command you to tell Sir Ewen I expect an answer for your behavior.” With that Meden stalks out of the upper dining hall of Galopea’s feast.

Aeomund, thinking to repair whatever damage Baris has done, intercepts Meden before he reaches the stairs. “A moment please. Sir Baris has come into a lot of money and has been celebrating. Inappropriate things are said when there is sorrow. I was in the Silver Caravan and I understand his grief, but would not impinge on your family’s honor.”

“You speak true, as I would expect. A surfeit of wine, I would expect, but a surfeit of coin is disgusting.” Meden leaves.

“Baris! What the fuck did you say!” Prehil asks reaching Baris, who has sat back down with his head in his head.

“I’ve insulted the honor and courage of his family,” Baris replies, sheepishly.

“That was not wise.”

“Have you known me to be wise?”

“Not this foolish. I better go after him. Baris, Neph was riding out at the head of his troops when he suffered a massive heart attack. He lies near death in his castle.”

“I was wrong.” Baris says, as Prehil turns to go.

“A quick question Prehil,” Aeomund says, “Do you happen to know where the prince is?”

“Which prince, oh yes, He is in the castle. I have to go now.”

“Great. Thank you, oh and there are assassins loose in the city.” Aeomund says to Prehil’s back.

Baris and Aeomund leave to go tell Ewen what happened. They meet Sotor in front of Raven Hall.

Sotor and Kaelyn talk in the great hall before the party gathers to go next door for dinner. Baris and Aeomund talk with Ewen. Baris fills Ewen in on what just happened at Galopea’s Feast. Ewen is not happy, telling Baris that he would of called Baris out on the spot if he had said such things to him.

“I told Lord Curo that Baris was in drink and silver windfall,” Aeomund says helpfully.

At Ewen’s quizzical look, Baris says, “Oh, yeah. I’m going to sell my tenement. Sir Andorkil wants to buy it.”

“Baris, I suppose you are aware that Meden is Neph’s first son and heir? Let me see if I understand this: I am to abase myself to the future Earl of Neph because you maligned him?!”

“Uh, yes? I didn’t know that he actually had ridden out and he was dying.” Baris defends himself.

“I have a report.” Sir Aeomund says, forcing Ewen to stop glaring at Baris for a moment.

“Go ahead.”

“The Prince is in residence at the castle. I attempted to solicit opinions from the Lady of Paladins about the tournament from Sir Houla, but he is in Whyce, so I sent a message. I spoke with Sir Prehil about assassins in the city to start to plant that things are afoot.”

“The Prince in town is good news.”

“Oh, and Halime owns the Sir Danyes’s house.”

“Yes, Kaelyn told me.” Ewen looks at Baris again and turns to Aeomund. “Were you present when this happened?”

“I was in the room, but speaking with Prehil some distance away.”

There is a pounding on the door. Walin looks at Ewen and Ewen nods.

The door crashes inwards and again Walin finds himself on the floor courtesy of Sir Prehil. Ewen rises and Prehil glowers at Baris.

“Ewen, did he tell you?”

“Yes.”

Prehil runs his hand through his hair and looks around, “Why are you lying on the floor?” Walin gets up and ushers the rest of the servants out of the hall.

“Is he taking this ill?” Ewen asks.

“He is insulted but I managed to talk him down.”

“Thank you.” Both Ewen and Baris say.

“You stuck both feet, knees and your ass in your mouth,” Prehil sighs. “This is what it is going to take. An apology, by you Baris, and your abject, unconditional oath that nothing like this be said again. Ever. Anywhere.”

“Of course.” Baris agrees, hanging his head.

“Ewen, I have to tell you this. The man came into town with his father’s tribute and much explaining to do. He did this in council. After we spoke and he expressed interest in meeting you, as he had heard a great deal about you. Now he is no longer interested. Maybe we can change his mind.”

“I owe you a great debt of gratitude.”

Baris continues to look at the floor.

“What are friends for? There are no winners in duels.”

“No. In due time, I’ll make an overture. No need for a breach now.”

“No, there are bigger fish to fry. When I told him that it was probably ale speaking, Meden said something about quick silver.”

“I told him that Baris had come into lots of money and was drunk.” Aeomund says.

“That explains it. Better a drunk fool than just a fool.”

“May I offer you something to drink.”

No, I need to be going. Word to the wise, Baris, don’t mistake the son for the father.” Prehil says looking at both Baris and Ewen. “I will take that drink another time.”

“Sir, Alderman Firith?” Aeomund asks as Prehil leaves.

“Another time Aeomund, another time.”

Ewen looks at Baris, “Do you think you could attend dinner without offending anyone?”

“I will say nothing.”

“And perhaps refrain from shtupping the chambermaid.” Ewen waits for Baris’s nod. “You can call upon Lord Curo in the morning. Sir Aeomund, you can go and supervise Sir Baris’s apology.”

Sir Baris looks up at Aeomund under his lashes and shrugs.

“We find ourselves in a philosophical conundrum; how do you apologize for the truth?” Aeomund asks Baris.

The party departs for Aethel Atan’s. They pass by the hole that was the door to the kitchen. Ewen sees one of Rolloch’s men eating. “You are not supposed to be at ease while on guard!” Ewen shouts. The guard drops his food to the table and straightens up.

At Ewen’s nod, Baris knocks on the door. Numeq answers the door wearing pantaloons that cut off just before the knee, a silk vest and a large gold hoop in one ear. He steps aside and says ‘Enter.’

The party enters. As Sotor crosses the threshold he says “Good evening my good man” in a dialect that none of the party recognizes. Numeq merely looks at Sotor and says “Enter.” Once he is satisfied that the group is entering, he pulls back a curtain to give entrance into the dining hall. It is almost the same as before. The bare statue with the wandering eyes is still evident. The rug is large, gray, and has tiny bristle-like hairs all over it. The green bowl is in the corner. The only differences those who had been here before can see is that the table is not set for a small gathering, but laid out in full splendor. There are silver plates and flatware and crystal goblets. Every place setting is perfectly placed. On the far side of the room is the last difference. A man, not their host, stands holding a wine glass. It is difficult to tell his age. His face is youthful, but his hair is silver. He is wearing robes. He gives the party a frank look.

“I am Sir Ewen Ravinargh, and you?”

“Sir Ewen, I wasn’t told to expect you. I am Quillan of Rakot.”

“The invitation was a trifle out of the ordinary. Perhaps something was lost in the translation.”

“Our host is a tad eccentric, but that really shouldn’t come as any surprise.”

Ewen smiles and introduces the rest of the party starting with Sir Aeomund.

“Ah, Sir Aeomund Legith, are you of any relation to the Baron of Lerenil?”

“Distantly, yes.”

“Ah, well, I know him distantly.”

“Then we know him the same,” is Aeomund’s reply.

Quillan smiles and turns his attention to Sir Baris, “Sir Baris Tyrestal of the Melderyni Tyrestals?”

Baris nods, but does not say anything. At Quillan’s quizzical look, Ewen mentions that Baris has had a rough public day and will be speaking minimally. Ewen briefly introduces Kaelyn, but as she is from no notable house Quillan’s attention is moved to Sotor quickly.

“Sotor of Pelanby, a new acquaintance of mine.”

“Sotor, of Pelanby?”

“I am from the Chelembian Pelanbies.”

“If you insist,” Quillan smiles without mirth. “You have interesting friends.”

“They are a blessing of sorts.” Ewen replies as Molly walks into the room bearing beverages. She comes to each member of the party and offers a goblet of wine. She curtsies when she offers Baris his. Baris smiles and gives her a look that he hopes says ‘not now.’

“Molly, don’t disturb our guests.” Aethal says entering the room with another following behind him. “Ah we are all here but one. Oh Kaelyn, you wore the blue dress! Quillan have you met my neighbors?”

“Just met them now.” Quillan replies.

“Right, Sir Jahmis,” Aethal says turning to the man behind him.

“I know just one. Ewen of Ravinargh I know, but not as Sir Ewen Ravinargh.”

“Pleasure to see you again. I suppose the last time we met was before my knighthood.”

“It wasn’t that long ago.”

“It has been a busy year.”

“Now Jahmis, you didn’t tell me you knew any of my guests. Tell me where did you two meet?”

“In Golotha, a pestilential little place. How do you fare Sir Ewen?

“I thrive,” Ewen replies carefully.

“No doubt you do.” A voice says from behind the party. All in the room turn to see Arren Lydel emerge.

“All are here at last. This is very important that you understand the purpose of this evening. Now Sir Baris, I know your keen interest in natural philosophy and revealed anatomy, but we have other things to discuss.”

Sir Baris looks relieved that he won’t be expected to talk about things he knows nothing about. Ewen is also relieved that Baris will not be speaking much, especially with the arrival of Sir Arren.

Aeomund, briefly losing interest in Aethal’s speech, has noticed the statue and is quite sure that it is watching him.

Aethel pauses and looks at Sotor. “I hope I have not overstepped my bounds by inviting my new acquaintance. I believe that you two briefly met last night.” Ewen says introducing Sotor.

“My apologies, for interrupting your work in the alley. I hope I did not offend you.” Sotor says.

“Had you offended me, I would have sent the sharpest of retorts. But you must be mistaken. I would not be caught dead in an alley way.” With that Aethel looks around the room and notices something is missing and fussily walks out of the room.

“Well, isn’t this just cozy.” Sir Arren says.

“Sir Arren, it is nice to see you again. Have you met Sir Jahmis?”

“Yes, how fares your brother Sir Jahmis?”

“Well last I heard. May he live to be 1,000.”

“That is not what I heard.” Arren replies.

“He is the Baron of Ivay, is he not.” Ewen says.

“Yes, what a prodigious memory you have.”

Aethel returns pushing Molly in front of him. She is holding a tray of hors d’oeuvres, specifically pigeon wings. Ewen takes a moment and tries to detect Jahmis’s aura, but the stress of the day does not make his task easy and he fails to see anything.

Sotor gestures around the room, again in a dialect that no one in the party can recognize, he says something.

“Gesundheit.” Aethel says and then looks at Sir Aeomund, “You sir are new to this gathering. I see you are a member of the Order of the Lady of Paladins.”

“This is my first time in your home,” Aeomund answers neutrally.

“You must know the meaning of service.”

“Duty to one’s liege lord is above all.”

“When it is one’s brother it is a bit overrated.” Jahmis says to no one in particular.

Aethel ignores him, “Does nothing else matter?”

“No,” Aeomund expands on his philosophy of service; that the duty to his goddess and country come from serving to the best of his ability his liege lord. He must have faith that the goddess put him in the service of a Lord that serves her in ways he will never understand to give order to the kingdom and Her.

Aethel nods, “Society needs order, needs garrisons, or one has fires set to homes for no reason and bodies removed from dwellings. This must be avoided.”

“Indeed, the poet has said, ‘When the fire burns, doth not all about have a roasted glow’.” Sotor adds.

“Possibly.” Aethel says. During this Jahmis and Quillan stand next to Aethel, not flanking him, but showing support.

“There are more forms of power than that of the sword.” Ewen says, suspicions rising.

“Many wield that kind of power in this room.” Quillan adds.

“I have no idea what you are talking about,” Arren says, a bit too defensively.

“What are you proposing Aethel.”

“Nothing. I am informing you of what already is.”

Growing tired of all the cryptic talk and social fencing Aeomund asks, “Why not just say it?”

“This is not for you Sir Aeomund. Sirs Ewen and Arren you would make this city a battlefield.”

“I look for no such battle.” Ewen replies.

“And I certainly do not.” Arren agrees.

It is Quillan who answers the denials, “You did. You need to know we have taken steps to protect certain people.” He looks at Kaelyn and then back to Ewen and Arren, “You two are not subject to the law, though Kaelyn is. Forgive me for speaking plainly. I do not have Aethel’s gift of speech.”

“Well, this is certainly annoying.” Sir Arren says.

“We can neither stop nor sanction you. But we have taken steps to prevent you from running roughshod over this kingdom.”

“It seems to be of late, this kingdom is running roughshod over me.” Ewen says. “It tried to burn my house down.”

“That was a mundane fire, wasn’t it?” Quillan asks.

“Yes”

“Then it does not factor into this.”

“Who need protection from Sir Arren and me?” Ewen asks.

“Everyone. We have already taken steps.” Quillan repeats.

Aeomund is starting to get annoyed and his hand falls automatically to near the hilt of his sword. Sir Jahmis catches his eye and speaks the word ‘Patience.’ Aeomund lets his hand fall to his side, suddenly feeling very happy. A feeling that is quite unfamiliar to the knight.

Ewen turns to Arren, “These hunters go out killing sparrows.”

“Yes. Yet understand that they have no authority over us. Ewen, I don’t know about you but I’ve lost my appetite.” Arren says, setting down his drink.

“We are most virtuous when sick. I’ve lost mine as well.”

Arren turns to Aethel, “Thank you for the invitation, but I must withdraw.” He turns to leave.

Quillan calls after him “Remember we have taken steps.”

“I have no idea what you are talking about. You are hunting the wrong sparrow in the field.” Arren says as the curtain closes behind him.

“Like Sir Arren, I regrettably must choose to withdraw,” Ewen says. Kaelyn and Sotor look upset at this. They realize, as Baris stands next to Ewen that they will be expected to leave as well, with many, many questions unanswered. “Sir Jahmis, it has been interesting meeting you again.”

“We shall meet again, but not soon.” Jahmis says.

“Quillan.” Ewen nods in the man’s direction.

“Interesting meeting you, and like Jahmis, we shall not meet again soon. It is good that you know who I am for our paths will surely cross.” Quillan responds or warns.

“Ah, well, good night Ewen and friends. I hope this doesn’t but a strain on us as neighbors.” Aethel says.

“Good night,” Ewen says, leading the party out the door. Kaelyn and Sotor drag their feet, letting all know they are not happy about leaving early. They hear Aethel say ‘I am so famished I could eat an elephant!”

Sotor looks at the party, “but what is an elephant?”

Baris grabs him by the shoulders and points to the rug, “That!” and then pulls Sotor out the door behind him.

Once outside, Ewen looks at the group and decides they should dine at Galopea’s Feast. The alibi of having dinner at Aethel’s gone wrong. He tells Sotor that he will show him the strange black and white pelt.

Once seated on the second floor well, they serving girls bring ale. Sotor complements them with poetry. They all respond very professionally and cordially. Once the food has been brought and the serving girls leave, and of course the pelt is pointed out, Sotor looks at Ewen, “Have you been stirring up trouble?”

Ewen tells the group of where and how he knows Sir Jahmis. “The last time I met him, he was well on his way to becoming a gray mage. He was working with Theron Palliser teaching him Odivshe magic.” He continues ignoring Kaelyn’s glare. “I don’t know Quillan. I will make the observation that it is unlike the Shek P’var to interfere in this matter.”

“We are not supposed to interfere,” Kaelyn says.

“Who’s we?” Aeomund asks.

“Shek P’varians, you sword rattling oaf. Keep up with the conversation. We are not supposed to interfere, only observe. We are not supposed to use our Power to give aid to the ruling parties.”

“That’s naïve, you dolt!” Aeomund responds.

“I don’t have a larger picture. Aren’t Shek P’var supposed to preserve the peace. They don’t seem to be violating any code.” Sotor asks.

“We are supposed to allow change to happen as it happens.”

“There is a larger issue that they are referring to. Perhaps Sir Arren was the unwitting stand in for Lady Bresyn.” Ewen says to bring the focus back to the more important issues.
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle