Session One Hundred Thirty - June 11, 2016

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session One Hundred Thirty - June 11, 2016

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:21 am

Azura 24, 732

To find a way to free G’Fell Ewen decides to read the unconscious Lumede. He would like to remove the spell of binding, make the spells appear in the book they found, and determine if Lumede knows how the Shek Pvar created the spell that disrupts Deryni magic on various members of the nobility; more importantly, how to break the spell. Ewen takes energy from Cekiya and trances briefly. Refreshed and ready, he touches Lumede’s mind and finds a blankness more sludge than intellect. Lumede is brain damaged. Ewen withdraws and turns to Cekiya, “Break him.”

Cekiya nods and stabs Lumede through the heart.

He turns to Kaelyn, “Can you break the retaining spell?”

Kaelyn attempts to cast a spell, but is tired and slumps to the ground barely conscious.

Baris in the meantime, looks for a key to the chest in the room but only finds small dusty scrolls that crumble to dust when touched and flecks of blood.

Ewen attempts to revive Kaelyn but as the spell is one with which he is less familiar, and she remains unconscious.

G’Fell, observing this activity, finally speaks. “When does the small one go to get a smaller one?”

“There are five days until the Dezenaka; it will be here,” Ewen replies and turns towards the broken wall. “Let’s go hunting.”

Not long out in the caverns they come to a cliff about ten to eleven feet down. They hear a splash and something running away as they approach. They go back to the room and G’Fell laughs at them.

Turning to the door, they find a spiral staircase that leads into a stone room. They find a bath room and a bedroom with a corpse of a female. She is mostly skeletal with long gray hair. Arranged in a reverential pose, she is arrayed in a gown and girdle with a purse and ring of keys. The party leaves the body and moves through the bedroom down a corridor into a partially furnished dining hall. Next to that they find a kitchen and a small band of kobolds huddled in a corner brandishing broken brooms as weapons. Ewen kills them quickly. Their nest is off to one side, but there is nothing of interest to the party in it. In the storeroom off the kitchen they find another secret door that presumably leads to the outside. They explore all the other hallways in the cavern with a similar result.

Cekiya goes back to the original cliff and climbs down. She finds a complex cave system and the source of the running noise is merely pathetic creatures that are not even worth her time to kill.

Baris takes the keys off the corpse attempts to open all the chests he can find. In the one in the bedchamber he finds clothing and personal items.

On the night stand next to the bed Kaelyn finds a Save K’norian holy symbol made of silver.

Back in the room outside the demon’s chamber, Sir Baris opens the chest that poisoned Cekiya. Inside are papers, documents, letters, three books wrapped in silk bags, and much to his delight a purse with 400d. Kaelyn examines the materials and tells Baris that they have some value to the right people. She opens the books and finds the hand mostly illegible nor she does recognize the writing she can see. No one else recognizes it either. She goes back into the room with G’Fell and takes the five torches from the wall. They give off neither heat nor smoke nor appear to be consuming any fuel. Illumination seems their sole function. She tells Ewen that she needs sleep before she can attempt any more spells or research.

The party leaves back through the tunnel to Lumede’s house. As they are walking Ewen claps Goreg on the back and tells the squire that he showed great courage and quick thinking tonight. In the moment of contact with Goreg, Ewen takes hold of the squire’s mind and reworks his memories. Goreg now remembers that Lumede was dead when they found him and while something attacked Kaelyn and Baris, he does not remember what, only that Ewen dealt with it. As the modified memories take hold, Ewen turns to the rest of the party and says, “Perhaps tonight’s events were a bit much for the idealistic young lad. His mind might have autonomously protected his sanity, so don’t press too hard if he remembers things differently.”

The party arrives back at Lumede’s townhouse. They find it deserted save the guards that Ewen brought with him. The party props the door back into place and Ewen leaves two men at arms to watch the house. The guard asks Baris if he still needs the shield. Baris sheepishly hands over the battered planks. Ewen looks on it, gouged and pitted from the fight with the demon, and tells Baris that he should replace it. Baris and Goreg head back to the Elf and Dwarf for rest and in Baris’s case, to finish the ale he had just started when Cekiya came for him. The rest of the group head back home to Raven Hall for rest.

After her repose, Kaelyn examines the papers and finds correspondence with a well-known Shek Pvar to a Fyvrian named Natyl. Kaelyn leaves four of the five torches in Ewen’s study and takes the last to her room for some research. She finds that the torch can be covered but not extinguished. There is no damage done to the cover material. Kaelyn is greatly pleased with the discovery of the torches. With this find she begins to review all that she has accomplished in her year with Ewen and company.

Later in the afternoon Kaelyn attempts to dispel the enchantment on the book that prevents her from seeing the writing. She tries another time and decides more rest is needed. Ewen takes the book from her as she makes her way upstairs. He attempts to object read the book, thinking perhaps that he should check if there is a mystical trick to reading the book. He takes a moment to trance and then employs his own arcane art. There is a dweomer associated with the book, but nothing further is revealed.

As Kaelyn and Ewen attempt to get the book to divulge its secrets, Cekiya goes out to find a baby for demon. She expects no trouble with such a simple task, and heads into the streets of Weavertown listening for sounds of a newborn. Hearing the cooing of a young mother to the cries of some puling infant, she sneaks into the house. When the mother goes to finish whatever untimely little task she is doing, Cekiya takes the child and walks out the door. Careful to bundle the baby and hold it in a manner that looked (to Cekiya) like a mother holding her offspring, she walks back to Raven Hall.

After Kaelyn wakes from her latest nap, she, Ewen, and Cekiya take the baby and start back to Lumede’s house. The guards are still at the front door and have nothing to report. By the time the trio makes it to G’Fell it is nearly 4:30 in the afternoon.

“I can smell it …” G’Fell says as they enter his chamber.

“It’s leaking brown, we can all smell it,” Cekiya says holding the still crying baby. Ewen motions for her to give it to G’Fell as per their bargain. She puts the baby in the circle. Cekiya looks to Sinele and notices she still hasn’t moved.

G’Fell takes the baby by the head and feet; it falls silent. A light begins to coalesce around the demon and then envelopes the helpless child. The light draws into G’Fell and the baby begins to shrink smaller and smaller and smaller until it disintegrates. G’Fell smacks his lips, “Love baby. Such tender souls.”

“I have kept my word.” Ewen says.

“I am almost wounded by that – awful truthfulness about that.” G’Fell says smirking.

“A bargain is a bargain.”

“I can’t break the circle without diverting energy from the spell that keeps me hidden.”

“This one will try again,” Ewen says, motioning to Kaelyn.

Kaelyn begins to dispel the binding on the circle. Ewen places a hand on her shoulder and one on Cekiya’s. He draws energy from Cekiya and himself and sends it into Kaelyn for her to draw on. The energy helps and Kaelyn is able to break the binding.

G’Fell steps outside the circle, “Aaaah, emancipation!” He smiles showing rows of teeth. He goes to Sinele. “We are free darling, free!”

The radiant creature reacts not at all.

“Now what did you have in mind for me?” he asks Ewen.

“Attend me well G’Fell. There is a lady in the town of Minarsas. In the castle, the Lady Bresyn Risai is married to the Earl.”

“Is there a baby?”

“She may be expecting.”

“It’s not the same.”

“Slay her, and bring me her head and if she is expecting, the head of the baby.”

“That sounds interesting but so sad the two months are up.” At the confused looks, G’Fell continues with glee, “Didn’t I mention I’m on Yashain time? Now do I slay you all, or let you live in shame?”

“You may choose to play me false. If you do, you must slay me here if not, this dranatha here will reveal you to the unseen lifter. You will lose Sinele and will go back to what you were before.”

G’Fell raises his arms in a gesture that gives the trio a shiver of fear, “So be it then. Death!”

Behind Ewen they hear a ‘meow.’

Cekiya turns and sees a black cat with red eyes, “Meow, found you!” it purrs.

A look of total terror comes over G’Fell’s face, “Noooo!” He yells as he slowly disappears in a cloud of yellow smoke leaving only an acrid odor. The cat trots up to Ewen and rubs his legs in a gesture that would be associated with affection from a normal feline. The cat looks at Cekiya and gives another ‘meow’ before walking out the door.

Cekiya finds she understood the ‘meow’ and the words to a new ritual appear in her mind.

Kaelyn runs to the door but does not see the cat anywhere in hall.

Then Ewen hears a sound from Sinele. A matronly woman of ample girth has appeared with tears running down her cheeks. She gives Ewen a reproachful look before she plucks the collar off of Sinele and discards it on the ground. The woman gathers Sinele in her arms and disappears in a swirl of white smoke. Cekiya walks over and picks up the collar with the intention of taking it back to the Hive.

They head back to Raven hall. It is around six pm when the party gathers around the table. Baris hears the events with G’Fell and is not ashamed to admit a feeling of relief of not having to be bound to a bargain with a demon.

Kaelyn has been listless after their return. During dinner she turns to Ewen, “I have been thinking that it is time for me to return to Chyrefal to advance in my status and give you a proper Shek Pvar in your retinue.”

Ewen raises his eyebrow and motions for her to continue as the rest of the table falls silent.

“I depart to bring back three spells of my own making and artifacts to advance from our version of journeyman to master. This will be a betterment for the group and your standing. By your leave, I will prepare to undertake the journey in the next few days.”

“You plan to return, I take it. How long will you be gone.”

“A year is my best guess.”

“Much can happen in a year, but you are right, you must advance. How do you plan to get back to Chyrefal?”

“The same way I got here. The leg from Tashal to Thay is the hard part.”

“Shall I hire a retinue to take you to Thay safely?”

“That would be most appreciated, thank you.”

“You have my leave and I wish you the best in your studies. I wish you a speedy return for you have been a valuable member of my retinue.”

The dinner continues in a much subdued feeling. Luckily there is a knock at the door to distract from Kaelyn’s announcement of departure. Walin opens the door and is told that the letter the messenger has is to be opened by Lord Ewen or Mistress Kaelyn.

Ewen takes the letter from Walin and finds it to be from Astaroc.

I recognize that my missing house was legally conveyed to Lord Ewen, however there are certain objects I wish back. This list is as follows: the font, certain manuscripts, and my tub.

“He can have the font, but manuscripts?” Ewen says looking at Kaelyn. “Tub?”

“Bevan took them,” she replies.

“Write him back and let him know how and when to get his items. He can pay to remove the font or take it by his own power. Tell him Bevan removed the items before my purchase of the house and she was last known to be residing in Golotha. The items, however, may be found in Coranan with her father Theron Palliser. Sign it ‘Esteemed, Ternua.’

Ewen then leaves the table to return to his study. Kaelyn begins to write as the table is cleared. As Baris is getting up he jostles the table and her writing. Ink splashes. He gives Kaelyn a rather awkward pat on the back as a good-bye and then goes to refill his mug, again jostling the table as he sits back down. Kaelyn is not amused.

Azura 25, 732

Astaroc shows up around eleven in the morning with a couple of large guys, a wagon, and a trunk.

“Bring in the trunk boys!”

“How have you been?” Astaroc asks Kaelyn as he strides into the house not waiting for an answer.

He looks at the tapestry of the two lovers that hangs over the hall, “This was her house you know, not his,” pointing to the woman in the depiction. “He died first. My Aunt Kaisirin … well, enough of that,” Astaroc gives himself a shake and continues, “Your Ternua can keep the tapestry. Don’t remove it for that’s where belongs.” He goes up to the second floor.

“The font is now on the third floor,” Kaelyn says.

“Get that second, first the manuscripts.”

“Bevan took them.”

“I’m sure they are still here.” He opens the door to the study. Kaelyn shrugs and follows.

“Not too different, the font was where the astroglobe is. Well, move that aside,” he tells the men that came in behind them carrying the trunk. They move the astroglobe and pry up the boards underneath to reveal a series of books, some thin, some fat. They fill up the trunk and take it downstairs. Astraroc sits on the trunk and tells Kaelyn to show the boys where the font is as he is not going up three flights of stairs. The men move the font slowly down the stairs and into the wagon with the trunk.

“You seem impatient with me Kaelyn.”

“It seems to be a common affliction as we age, our patience disappears.”

“Aethel Atan has been telling me about you. I wanted to give you this,” He hands her a sealed envelope. “Do not open it. If you do, it will rot, molder, and disintegrate before your eyes. But when the time comes, allow it to stand as my opinion. It is entirely up to you whether you use it. A true Shek Pvar will know the answer to that.”

“Thank you Astaroc. Odd, but I am glad in a way to see you again.”

“Me too. Tell your master that for the time being I’ll abide with Aethel. I am thinking of buying Lumede of Tiselwaith’s place. I hear it is available again. Do you know what happened?”

“We found him dead in a chamber. We left him there as the air thrummed with power from things unknown and too dangerous to face at the moment.”

“Yes, Aethel could no longer detect his aura before you went down and we feared the worst. I will offer his widow a good price. Apparently money grows bumpers if left fallow for over a year. I must be off.”

He turns to the bully boys. “Let’s go, and then it is straight back to prison with you!”

Kaelyn watches the wagon move down one door to Aethel’s before turning inside calling for Walin. There were floor boards to replace.

Baris takes Khalas shield shopping, who asks many annoying questions and Baris responds with patience if not actual right answers. The duo aggravates the weaponcrafter so much that he kicks them out, giving Baris the shield for free if he will just leave …

Ewen, before attending Soratir at noon, goes to hire a retinue and guards to accompany Kaelyn to Thay. All told for the men, wagon, and provisions, it costs Ewen £5. They will leave on the 27th.

At Soratir, the Archbishop gives a long winded sermon on the health of the body politic. No one seems to be happy listening during the lesson. Ewen glances around and sees that none of Osel, Meden, Balim, Orsin, or Prehil are in attendance. In fact, the nobility in the audience tends to lean strongly toward to the female population. Ewen does see the Ladies Cheselyne and Peresta as well as Lady Verdreth. He wonders if a reputation for piety will serve his interests.

After the sermon Lady Peresta comes up to Ewen, “I understand congratulations are in order, my lord.”

“Yes, thank you. Are you well Lady Peresta?”

“As well as any dowager can be. I remain unencumbered. How is your lady wife?”

“She finds herself very much cumbered.”

“Poor dear, in Ternua no less. How boring. The city on the other hand is very much alive.” She pauses. “I did want to talk to you about something nearer and dearer to my heart.”

“What might that be?”

“Tell me my lord, is it possible for my son to take the air?”

“I have been meaning to call upon him. He and I need to talk. The truth of the matter is your son feared for his safety and I took that very seriously.”

“As do I, but perhaps we could come to other arrangements,” Lady Peresta says taking Ewen’s arm as they walk towards the front door. Ewen avails himself of this opportunity to read her and learn that she wants Tarien out of the house. He’s a bit of a prude in her mind, and is putting a damper on her romantic affairs.

“I assure you that we will do all we can to arrange other accommodations for him,” Ewen says with a smile.

“I am certain he has learned his lesson. Now tell me do you still have that strapping knight in your service?”

Goreg comes up and reminds Ewen of his obligation that afternoon at the castle. Ewen excuses himself from Lady Peresta and leaves in the company of Sirs Arlbis and Gorbar as well as his squire.

Outside the council chamber Ewen spies the Baron of Stimos and an old acquaintance, Arva of Kerryn.

Ewen takes a deep breath before walking over.

“Lord Stimos, always a pleasure.”

“Well met my lord Ternua. I believe you have already met Arva of Kerryn.”

“Yes, I do remember her.”

“Our peer in rank, Lord Graver, has sent her to assist you in whatever manner may be useful.”

Ewen turns to consider Arva, “Anyone from Lord Graver is welcome in my circle. I am happy to renew our acquaintance.”

“Greetings, Lord Ternua. It is good to see you again.”

“We shall have to catch up later. I have a council meeting to attend momentarily. My squire, Goreg, will be at your service however should you wish for news of recent events now. When did you arrive?”

Arva notices that even though Ewen is now a baron versus the bard she knew him as, he has not changed at all. “A day or so ago, my lord.”

“I will prevail upon you; I would have you as a guest in my house that we may properly catch up.”

“Excellent idea,” the Baron of Stimos says.

Ewen turns to Stimos, “Soratir was thinly attended. Hark, here comes Sir Meden.”

“Good afternoon Lord Ewen,” Meden turns to Stimos, “Baron.”

They greet Sir Meden. He then turns to Arva, “Who is this new fair face?”

“This is mistress Arva of Kerryn, newly arrived from the west.”

“Another Thardan. We simply don’t have enough.” Meden smiles and gestures to Ewen to step away, “I would discuss some weighty matters with you before the council.”

Ewen nods and the two excuse themselves and walk a ways down the corridor.

“It is my understanding that the Queen has not been idle. There is a rumor that the King’s condition has improved and he has become almost lucid.”

“This is surprising given his earlier state.”

“I agree. If the King is recovering, the whole point of this council is moot. Your barony may be in question, should the King awake.”

“There are many implications should the King take up his throne again. What does Sir Kytem say?”

“He is the source of my information. It is good to have a brother be Seneschal of the Chamber.”

“In that case, in what manner has the Queen engaged herself?”

“I do not know, but Balim is involved. Today she will find a target. I think it is to be either me or Harabor.”

“Harabor has taken up arms, broken the King’s peace and kidnapped scions of the peers of the realm. You may have ruffled feathers, but that is minor to the kidnapping of Balim’s son.”

“You nailed it. Harabor is the logical choice, but logic does not always come to play. It may yet be me.”

“I know you well enough now; you have thought of things to come.”

“My brother will take my place should something happen to me. There are many sons of my father.”

“I have continued to take pains to cultivate Gorbar and Arlbis and I believe we can depend on them if it comes to a vote.”

“I am glad to hear that you have that well in hand. I tried to do so myself but …” Meden trails off not quite giving voice to his difficulty respecting those less politically savvy as he.

“Consider it taken care of. What is your suggestion for today?”

“I am not sure what will happen. If I am moved against, you and Lord Firith must distance yourselves from me as quickly as possible. I will manage. For the cause to survive we must not all go down together.”

“Stoically said, I expected no less from you. We are in perfect accord. One further question, if Lord Balim overplays his hand that the King is improving?”

“Then we have him.”

“Then any further voting should be tabled.”

“Exactly. But Balim won’t make that mistake. Come, it’s time.”

Ewen and Meden enter the council chamber with their peers of the realm.

Once inside the council chamber Ewen notices that the others also have no idea of what is to come and that the nobles strain at their own slips. Some members of the council are seated at the table, not speaking, and others are standing around the room. Harabor is glowering next to Balim and attempting to make conversation about a new clutch of raptor chicks, but Balim is distracted and his responses are short. A few more minutes of inconsequential small talk ensues before there is a knock at the door.

Sir Harapa Indama raps his staff on the floor, “Milords, attend.” The door opens and Queen Hesena enters the room.

“Forgive me. I was long in slumber this morning,” she says as she takes her seat.

Sir Harapa calls the meeting to order and the other members of the council take their seats. Once they are seated a sly expression crosses the Queen’s face as she turns to the Earl of Balim. He does not visibly acknowledge the Queen, but instead pulls out a piece of paper.

“My lords, this document, which has been signed by the King – who has lately had moments of lucidity – does vouchsafe the kingdom to his lady wife, Queen Hesena.”

Sir Meden begins to rise and lifts his arm to reach for the document, but the Queen holds her hand up to stall his progress.

“My lord Archbishop, did I not see from your garden some strawberries? Pray fetch them.”

The Archbishop nods to the queen and departs. Once he is out of the room, the Queen turns to the rest of the noblemen assembled. “My lords, the King has made me protector of this realm in this document and are we not his loyal subjects?” She pauses for a moment before continuing, “I believe the King has been bewitched.” At this moment the Archbishop returns with a small basket of strawberries. The Queen continues, “For what else could bring so puissant a prince down but fell sorcery!” She looks around the table as if daring someone to naysay her.

The Earl of Osel takes up the challenge, “If the King …”

“If?! If?!” The Queen thunders, “You clearly are in league! Guards!” Instantly, as if waiting for their cue, four guards led by their captain, Sir Hedare Thaelbis, rush into the room. “Seize him!” the Queen proclaims, pointing at Maldan Harabor, “He has conspired to ensorcell the King. Off with his head! I will not eat these strawberries until I see it.”

Harabor is shocked and attempts to regain his footing and proclaim his innocence but is dragged out of the room.

The Queen, appearing much calmer than she was a moment ago, sits and looks around the table, “My lords, do any of you object?”

The room sits in a shocked silence. Ewen glances around and sees that Balim appears quite satisfied and Meden Curo, for once, appears confused.

The Queen nods slightly, “I feel I must withdraw. Those who love the King should attend me.” She rises and leaves the room. Balim and the Archbishop follow immediately. Meden looks at Ewen, both nod to each other and they follow after, as does Lord Firith. The others take a moment more to regain their composure and follow quickly after Orsin.

They follow the Queen to the great hall where she takes her seat upon her throne. As they wait in silence, Ewen notices that the guards are bit more heavily armed than usual. Ewen sees that Goreg is still present with the Baron of Stimos and Arva of Kerryn, along with other various minor notables.

Soon Sir Hedare enters the room holding up the head of the most recent Earl of Osel. “Behold the traitor, Maldan Harabor.”

“Justice has been done and a threat to the Crown averted. While my Royal husband recovers we will see our kingdom ruled well.” The Queen says in a strong clear voice, “Attend me well my lords.”

All bow in the direction of the thrones, one empty and one holding the Queen. The remaining members of the council soon disperse to attend to their own private business. As Ewen leaves the castle with Goreg by his side, he wonders if Harabor was the only target today. Looking up, he sees Harabor’s head being placed on a spike over the castle battlements. He sends Goreg to the Heru gate to see if there are any signs of the army passing to Heru, and Maldan’s younger son. As the gate is not that far from the caer, Goreg is able to quickly determine that no army has passed. It appears that the Queen is not taking any immediate action against the Earldom of Osel, merely the Earl.

“You do know how to make a girl feel welcome,” Arva says with a sardonic chuckle as she sips her ale seated in the great hall at Raven Hall. It is now around four in the afternoon, and Ewen has gathered with Baris, Arva, Goreg, Kaelyn, and Cekiya.

“Yes, these things happen all the time. It may not be Golotha, but we try,” is Ewen’s droll reply. He quickly takes the time to bring everyone up to speed of what had transpired behind the closed council doors.

“The Queen has been made Lord Protector, but has not dissolved the council nor removed Firith as Lord Marshal.

“She has removed in one fell swoop of the axe, the biggest threat to Brandis’s rule, although at the expense of crown/baronial relations.”

As the group discuss the implications of this action, Ewen decides that a talk with Curo might be in order. He has Kaelyn send one more note for him to Meden Curo inviting him for a late night drink at Raven Hall if the gentle lord feels a need for conversation. A response comes not long after, ‘Yea my lord.’

Later that evening, after dinner, there is a pounding on the door. Walin opens the door and quickly moves to the side.

“Ewen! You magnificent bastard!” Prehil booms as he bursts into the room.

“Sir Prehil,” Ewen, in contrast, calmly replies.

“I am delighted to see your head is still attached,” Prehil pauses, and a brief look of befuddlement crosses his face, “Maldan? Maldan!”

Ewen gives a half smile, “I was about to congratulate you on keeping your head in the situation.”

Prehil chuckles as he sits and reaches for an ale. As he does, Meden enters the hall with several men at arms. He turns to them and tells them to stand ready.

“Good evening, my lord” he greets Ewen, “Sir Prehil.

“And what did you think of today’s activities? I am happy to say I was wrong. I thought it would affect me,” Meden says as he crosses over to where Ewen and Prehil sit. Ewen rises and suggests they move from the hall upstairs to his study.
“It’s your house,” Meden says.

Ewen, Meden, Prehil, and Baris all move upstairs to the study with Walin directing several servants to bring up wine, ale, ewe’s milk cheese, and pork sausage.

Once alone in the study, Ewen turns to Meden, “To answer your question, I felt the Queen played her hand strongly.”

“Strongly is not the word I would have chosen. To be fair, no one expected such a move. The elimination of Maldan Harabor, while a bonus, one must consider to which faction it was the greatest boon.”

“The Crown,” Ewen simply replies.

“I think so too,” Meden nods.

Baris frowns into his drink, “While a bonus, power-wise to the Crown, it does bespeak a certain weakness in judgment. It could happen to anyone. It is enough to give pause to any move within the realm of politics.”

“Weakness perhaps, but in reality Maldan is still dead,” Meden replies, not disagreeing with Baris.

“She did the action quickly before any counteraction could be taken, and in a manner that suggests she was well prepared to do so. This was no morning whim,” Ewen says.

“She has shown to be more ruthless than anyone realized.” Meden agrees.

“She has shown power, but may have weakened trust,” Baris adds.

“Sir Prehil? Your thoughts?”

“By Halea’s Magnificent Mammories! The execution of the Earl of Osel was a hasty business. Shabbily done.”

“The Queen, and by extension, Balim, clearly felt upsetting the balance between Crown and baronies was worth the price of Maldan’s head.” Ewen says.

“So they did. Perhaps they were right, but it remains to be seen who has the right of it,” Meden replies.

“Part of how that plays out will be with what happens to the Earldom of Osel.” Ewen begins, “What do you do with the heir, Mirild Harabor, and Sir Kornuska with his expeditionary force at Heru?”

“One cannot allow them the right,” Meden says.

“And yet, in all likelihood, Mirild is already married to Lady Cheselyne the Younger. Will she attaint the family?”

“She will have to, but does she have the power to enforce the attainder? I don’t believe she does. All she has done is forestall the day of judgment.”

“I am coming to the conclusion that this will all fall out with armies rather than in the council chamber,” Ewen says.

“Perhaps, but the Queen is not prepared to lead armies,” is Meden’s reply.

“Do we anticipate, Prehil forgive me, Balim taking action to reverse Lord Orsin as Lord Marshal?”

“Aw, well, not before you mentioned it,” Prehil says, “I suppose it is possible, but I can tell you my father will not give up an office he has so long sought to achieve.”

“Then what will be the Queen and Balim’s next move – take back the army or dissolve the council?” Ewen asks.

“A great question. We must oppose the forces of those who are not working with the council,” Meden says.

“It occurs to me, we must know more about what the Queen and Balim plan to do,” Ewen says as he pours more wine into his glass.

“I’ve thought to go to the Queen and/or Balim and offer to raise troops at Ternua to hold the bridge. This will put the Queen, and Balim, in a position to trust me or to see action against Osel. I think if she denies me leave to raise the troops, it will tell us her next steps.”

Meden agrees as does Prehil.

“I will go in the morning to see if they show their hand,” Ewen says.

“I agree. Let us meet on the morrow – noon in the council chamber and see what the Queen has in store for us.”

Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle