Session One Hundred and Sixty-Two - August 28, 2021

Wherein the ongoing story of the FtF campaign may be found ...

Session One Hundred and Sixty-Two - August 28, 2021

Postby Matt » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:58 pm

Nolus 27, 733

Lord Ewen leaves the parapet in search of Lord Prehil to inform him of the plans he has made to fight the current Harbaalese prince in a man-to-man duel at noon. He finds Prehil in the great hall where a very pork-centric breakfast is underway.

Prehil is slightly alarmed after Ewen finishes recapping his late-night conversation with Sahmnara, “Ewen, by Morgath’s Black Hole!! What were you thinking?”

Ewen smiles at the expected response, “Prehil, my honor demands I not shrink from this challenge. I will slay him.”

“I will have the archers hide and then shoot the bastard and whoever stands with him. We will then tell the remainder of that invading rabble whatever we want.”

“You know that is anticipated. The witch will ensure that there is at least one Harbaalese survivor.”

Baris, pauses mid-reach for the pork sausage, “That’s a good point. How do you intend to counter the witch?”

Ewen gives Baris a smile before turning back to Prehil, “I trust your judgment, you are my right hand here and we are peers in the larger sense outside of this siege. But know, that I have undertaken a decision of personal honor not to shrink from this battle.”

“You had to put it like that.” Prehil responds with an accusatory tone and the look upon his face of a man who knows his duty and the toll it takes upon those of rank.

“If I should fall, then it falls to you – your judgment and command must prevail. Everyone will follow your lead.”

Prehil leans over and whispers or at least lowers his voice slightly, “Now you and I know I didn’t come here to take command. I came here to escape being a father and my father, so you will kill that son of a bitch.

“There is nothing to worry about. When have you known me to fail killing a man.? I shall take Baris, Denzil, and Goreg to stand by my side as witnesses. Enjoy your meal. I must prepare.”

Ewen taps Cekiya on the shoulder indicating that he wishes she follow him. Once in the deserted hallway, Ewen turns to his dark shadow, “Come Cekiya, lead me in prayer that what happens today is the will the dark lord and his will permits.” Cekiya nods and does so. She knows that whatever happens she is not to be an instrument. She is merely to witness the battle Ewen undertakes with the invader. She does think that if anyone else should make a move against Ewen, then it must be the will of the dark one to have her enter the fight.

At noon Ewen, Baris, Goreg, and Denzil make their way to the bailey and stand near the gates waiting the Harbaalese prince and his witnesses. On the battlements above, Arva and Cekiya watch along with Prehil and as many of the knights and fighting men of Olokand (and a few from Tharda) that can fit along the wall.

Ewen is decked in his family armor with his Khuzan shield. He carries his sword at his belt, along with a few daggers, stashed here and there. Baris, not trusting the honor of the Sahmnara, is prepared for a fight. He stands in his mail armor and carries his axe slung through belt and his boar helmet in his hands.

Denzil and Goreg pull open the gates to allow Prince Dula, Sahmnara, and three huscarls to enter the bailey. The prince is arrayed in a Sutton Hoo helm, scale hauberk and plate greaves. He carries a sword at his belt with his shield slung over his back. In his hand, the Prince carried a large battle axe.

Ewen calls to Prince Dula, “Welcome to Olokand Castle.”

Sahmnara nods and translates to the Harbaalese. Prince Dula makes a gesture with his free hand and grunts his response.

Ewen turns his back and walks to the open area near the stables. Goreg, Baris, Denzil arrange themselves on the grass, with Baris closest to the castle walls and Denzil at the bottom, nearer to the stables. Dula stops when Ewen does, standing to the southeast of the knight near the mouth of the path where it begins to open up for the stable area. The huscarls arranged themselves behind the Prince in a tight trio.

Sahmnara moves in between the two combatants and begins her speech, first speaking in Harnic and then Harbaalese, “Greetings to you champions on this fine day. Here you meet in honorable single combat for this castle and perhaps this Kingdom. This fight will be to the death; no quarter asked, nor quarter given. Steel against steel as Lord Ewen has agreed there is to be no esoteric action taken. In the event one is mortally wounded the other will be merciful in dispatching him and the seconds will be permitted to depart unharmed and will bear witness to respective sides the victor. I shall stand aside and make sure the terms agreed upon by the champions standing here are abided by.”

Ewen slightly bows to Sahmnara and salutes the man standing across from him with his sword. Prince Dula in response, raises his battle axe over his head, one handed. Sahmnara moves to the outer wall near the large oak tree.

Ewen advances a few feet, sword and shield deployed, he then waits for the prince. Dula advances the rest of the distance and begins the engagement. The Harbaalese prince wields his battle axe two-handed, his shield remaining on his back. Ewen swings his sword but the blow is parried. Dula attacks in earnest and Ewen successfully blocks. As his shield rings Ewen realizes the immense strength of his opponent. Ewen swings his sword twice in rapid succession but his blow is blocked by the battle axe each time. The prince’s axe swing and cuts Ewen’s surcoat across the chest. Ewen feels the blow through his armor. Ewen swings his sword in response but again is blocked. Ewen quickly changes tactics and realizing he must utilize his superior agility and tire out the Harbaalese Prince with footwork as the viking has the upper hand in terms of sheer strength. Ewen takes a few quick steps backwards out of range of the axe before he turns and moves to the north approximately 30 feet. The prince snarls and rushes the distance and swings his axe at Ewen. Ewen is able to block with his shield. Ewen swings his sword but again is blocked. He moves to the right around his opponent and moves to the south towards Sahmnara. She shifts out of the way and closer to the tree. Ewen is able to cover the 45 feet quickly with no ill effects, but the Prince only follows 30ft before he stops and taunts Ewen with gestures and what is assumed to non-Harbaalese speakers, rude words most likely about Ewen’s mother and suspected lineage. Ewen gives a smirk before he covers the remaining 15 feet between them and strikes Dula on the shoulder.

Goreg resists the urge to give a small cheer as he is sure that with that blow that will most likely leave a bruise, Ewen is gaining the upper hand in this battle.

Ewen then pivots on his left foot and moves 35 feet towards where Baris is standing. Baris, Goreg, and Denzil all take as step back away from the duel. Denzil ends up near the corner of the stables. The prince gives another snarl and moves 30 feet toward Ewen but stops short of striking distance. Ewen realizes that the heft of the axe and the brute force fighting style does not allow the viking to move as quickly nor as far without fatigue. Ewen moves counterclockwise to force the prince to pivot and attacks. The prince shifted quickly and was able to block. Before the prince can regain his footing, Ewen moves again to the southeast, again, just out of the range Dula can move without wearying. Once Dula follows and makes his stand with another rude gesture, Ewen forces another pivot before swinging his sword, but again the battle axe takes the blow. Ewen sees the slight tell of Dula shifting his weight to the balls of his feet in anticipation of Ewen moving again, and with the skill of a seasoned fighter, Ewen changes tactics by striking again. This catches Dula slightly off-guard. He manages to block but does not position his axe to take the blow near the guard where the metal reinforces the shaft. Ewen’s blow strikes the axe nearer the center where it is the weakest and the axe breaks. Dula takes a half of step backward and draws his sword and pulls the shield from his back. Ewen takes advantage and swings before the shield is secured. Ewen strikes the bicep of the left arm and first blood goes to Ewen. Again, he swings while Dula is rearming himself. Ewen hits the top of the helm, cleaving it in half showing he scalp of the Harbaalese prince. One of the huscarls forgets the rules and begins to take a step to protect his prince but is stopped by his fellows. Dula begins his attack, but Ewen, finding his stride, counterstrikes and again hits the skull, opening it fully.

Prince Dula falls to the ground, alive for the moment, but bleeding out rapidly. Ewen moves forward to be merciful, but sees out of the corner of his eye, Sahmnara shift. He realizes the intent of the other Deryni before the bolt of power is shot at him. He narrows his eyes at Sahmnara as his shields hold and her attack fails. He sends an answering bolt of power back, but his is blocked as well. In that instant a ward drops in place around Ewen, Sahmnara, and the dying Prince Dula. The walls of the ward shimmer so all can see the outline. Ewen raises his eyebrow, surprised at the visible display of power.

The instant the ward drops into place, Denzil moves to the southeast along the edge of the ward approximately 50 feet. The three huscarls move as well. One moves to the south along the edge of the ward, mirroring the movements of Denzil. The other two move along the ward toward the north. Goreg and Baris begin moving toward the two huscarls coming north. Cekiya seeing the movement, slips off the battlement and begins her climb down the wall unnoticed by all around her.

“I didn’t realize you felt so strongly about me, Sahmnara,” Ewen quips as he shoots another bolt of power that fails against the shields of his opponent. Sahmnara says nothing but manifests her power in the image of a large blue tiger. Ewen stands his ground, and the image dissipates as it hits his shields.

Denzil, meanwhile, moves forward towards the ward and attempts to stick a spear in the simmering wall, but the spear bounces off. He sees the blurry forms of Ewen and Sahmnara inside and the even blurrier forms of the huscarls on the other side moving north. He can see the form of the huscarl strike at the tall knight, but he thinks the blow is blocked. Denzil takes a step back and sees the huscarl that was coming along the southern edge reversing direction and heading north toward the other huscarls. Denzil moves north as well to engage the enemy.

As the huscarl in front attacks Baris, Goreg steps up and attacks the trailing huscarl. The huscarl dodges the squires attack and strikes. Goreg is able to block the axe with his shield.

Inside the ward, Ewen answers Sahmnara’s tiger with an image of his own. He manifests his power in the image of the ice dragon, Vannylex. The dragon he faced in the mountains of the Khuzan. As the image flies toward Sahmnara, she steps out of the way, but stumbles. Ewen is not sure if the stumble is from a hit of the power or merely missing her footing. He attempts another bolt of power, but misses.

Denzil, has reversed direction and now has reached the top of the ward. He can see Baris and Goreg engaged with the two huscarls clearly now. The third huscarl has also made his way to the northern portion of the ward and directs his attack at Denzil.

Cekiya has reached the ground. She pauses slightly, drawing her short sword and begins her creep toward the huscarls. Baris swings his axe at the Huscarl in front of him. The huscarl attempts to absorb the blow on his shield, but the blow is too much and the shield shatters. Beside them Goreg swings his sword at his opponent, but the blow is blocked. The huscarl swings his axe in response, but Goreg is able to easily block the blow.

Ewen, knowing the benefit of fighting a psychological battle as well as the physical one, sends a thought to Sahmnara, “Why the desperation Sahmnara? Did you run out of princes to serve?” The responding silence causes Ewen to smile. He again manifests the ice dragon. If any on the wall could see through the shimmer of the ward, they would see a great beast rise up and shoot an icy cone from the maw of the dragon. The strike is true and hits Sahmnara in the breast. It knocks her with a force that causes her to hits the ground with limbs limp and spread, leaving her defenseless. Ewen takes a firmer hold of his sword and moves forward.

Outside the ward, Baris’s attack strikes the upper arm of the huscarl. The huscarl responds with an attack but is blocked on Baris’s shield. In disbelief, the huscarl watches as his axe breaks upon the shield of his foe. The huscarl, wounded and unarmed, surrenders to Baris.

The second huscarl, attacks Goreg and strikes him along the hip, but the blow does not break the skin and will only leave a bruise. Goreg makes ready his responding attack, but the huscarl before him drops the ground, showing Cekiya, bloody short sword in hand. She had moved up behind them and struck Goreg’s opponent in the calf, causing the man to fall.

Denzil attacks with his spear and strikes the huscarl facing him in the knee. The blow drops the huscarl and Denzil is easily able to disarm his opponent.

Inside the ward, Ewen has reached the unmoving Sahmnara. Ewen delivers a strike through her heart as she lay prone, obeying the instructions she laid earlier that “In the event one is mortally wounded the other will be merciful in dispatching him.” As he wipes his sword clean, the ward drops. Ewen turns and sees Denzil, binding the knee of a huscarl, showing mercy himself. Ewen raises his face to the battlement and finds Prehil among the watchers. Ewen raises his sword in salute and sees Sir Kelwyn next to Prehil. Prehil shouts down, “You were right … again.”

The doors within the castle wall open and several members of the garrison enter the bailey. They help the huscarls to the front gate. As soon as the three huscarls are through the gate, it is shut tight again. Those on the walls watch as the one huscarl helps the two huscarls with leg injuries limp down the road toward the bulk of the army. Ewen turns to other members of the guard and orders the body of the Harbaalese prince displayed on the tower towards the west of the bailey where the men he led can see him. They take the body and splay him on a set of planks borrowed from butcher, who used the set up to stretch the meat of a pig over a fire.

While the members of the garrison take the prince to the tower, Goreg goes to the dungeon to bring Yurk of Hulda, the viking that proved to be useful translator previously. Goreg has Yurk stand on the wall and shout down to the Harbaalese army, “Behold the fate of Dula of Harbaal. He bet on a match of single combat the right to stay in this castle, where the loser leaves. He faced Lord Ewen and lost. You are to leave or face the same fate as your prince.” Yurk yells his announcement several times, each time accompanied by trumpets to ensure the attention of the Harbaalese. After the last announcement, Goreg takes Yurk back inside. Goreg hands the prisoner a tankard of ale to quench his thirst after all the yelling he did upon the wall. Goreg asks who is the next in line now that the prince is decorating Olokand castle. Yurk responds that depending on what has happened since he was captured, he would think Prince Bjan’s best friend, Thors Marensen would take command. Yurk explains that after Bjan’s defeat last year in Olokand, he fell out of favor and his younger brother, Dula, was given the appointment of leader of this raid.

After the dinner of pork and the celebration of those inside Olokand of Ewen’s stunning win, Ewen retires to citing the long day and the need for rest to be prepared for whatever the Harbaalese do tomorrow. Once in private, Ewen settles and takes the mirror out of his baggage for his evening rapport with Rahel. After the usual pleasantries are exchanged, Ewen gives Rahel the precis of the events since his arrival in Olokand up to this afternoon’s duels. Ewen mentions that Sir Kelwyn tends to make an appearance at very odd moments, and he could not anticipate his movements. Rahel gives a laugh and tells Ewen that Sir Kelwyn does not appear unless their father approves it. Ewen takes a moment to digest that bit of news, “Tell me, how goes the Queen’s muster?”

Rahel sighs, “it is a long and tedious ordeal. The Earl of Vemion has yet to send word let alone a single boy with a wooden sword. The Earl of Osel’s forces are engaged on the southern frontier in their annual battles with the Pagaelin. He is here acting as Lord Marshal, wondering to all who come near where his son is. Lord Balim has been tasked to remain in Tashal to guard the city and his force is present and noticeable. Sir Scina, is in charge of the Tashal guard forces, although it is bit difficult to understand him due to the injury. From the Earl of Neph, there is also no word. The Queen will be marching with the troops she has; the royal guard, some barons, and oh, your old friend Sir Aeomund, is leading the Order of the Lady of Dolithor. The Queen, will be leading the troops herself, even if it is not as many as it should be.”

Ewen, voice dripping in sarcasm, “The young Queens chivalric impulses make one weep with admiration.”

Rahel smiles, “The plan is to march with what troops are here in a ten-day.”

Ewen does the calculations in his head, realizing that the army from Tashal will not arrive for at least another ten-day after that. He switches topics, “Tell me, what are your thoughts on Sahmnara the Dalkeshi? How could a Deryni fight and live with these Harbaalese who are so suspicious and distrustful of magic?”

“I cannot say for certain, but there are those from the continent that will venture by sea and end up picked up as captives and some will end up as concubine or a partner. She was most certainly the lover of some high ranking viking, possibly the prince himself.”

Ewen nods, “Will you use your position as Mistress of the Esoteric to inform the Queen of what has transpired?”

“No, I do not deem that wise. She has her own gifts. I do recommend you send word via a more mundane way in the form of a letter given to a fast messenger with news, edited of course.”

Nolus 28, 733

In the early morning it begins to rain and thunderstorms rage across the sky. Arva, turning over the circlet she took from the body of Sahmnara as a future prop her in play of the siege of Olokand, wonders idly if the Vikings, who revere a god of Thunder, find the thunderstorm a good or bad omen. As word from the watchers on the battlement reaches those inside that the Harbaalese are withdrawing from Olokand, Arva decides that it must be a bad omen.

Word of the viking withdrawal reaches Ewen, and he attempts to send Qorsad up in the air to watch their progress. Qorsad merely looks at the rain slashing on the window and goes back to sleep. Ewen attempts again, stating that he meant after the rain has stopped. Qorsad responds with a, ‘maybe.’

As Ewen, Prehil and the other knights gather to discuss the next stages, Goreg asks if the Vikings were going to be allowed to escape north with the hostages. This sets off a discussion of how to get ahead of the Harbaalese troops to rescue the hostages at Setrew before the main army that is departing Olokand returns. Ewen looks at the map of the area in front of him, and estimates that the main body of the Harbaalese will reach Setrew near dark if not after it, based on the roads and the weather. It is decided that there is no way to do so without risking all, and they will honor the memory of every knight that has been taken hostage by continuing to fight, and most likely with some ceremony once the Queen and the Kaldoric army arrives. A discussion then takes place if they should put forth the effort of harassing the Harbaalese as they move toward Setrew; a thinning of the numbers as they march. The idea has merit but in the end it is decided that the lives of the knights that would be sent to harass the Vikings were not worth the harassment. It was decided that a squadron of light horse under the direction of Captain Thorp was to be sent to watch for the movements of the Harbaalese along the eastern shore. Ewen will send a letter to Baseta asking for the same thing. Thorp and his men are to bypass Halperin as they move north toward Baseta. It is estimated that the mounted men would arrive in Baseta if all went well, tomorrow morning.

As the discussion is winding down, the steward approaches Ewen, “My lord, there are some that wish to return to their houses in the town. But they do need showing of safety, if you would do an inspection of the town, I think that would satisfy most to leave the Caer.”

“Of course, I think we have seen the last of the Vikings and we should put our town to rights.”

Ewen wanders the town along with Sir Kelwyn.

“My Lord exceedingly well done. You and all your people and may have just saved Kaldor.”

“We shall see how see how events transpire. You have an interesting talent of being in the right place at the right time,” Ewen responds drily.

“It is my sole virtue. However, I must confess that I have been following the Vikings. I watched them march out of Setrew and it does not take much intellect to guess their destination. I did not know you had gone north during that time.” Kelwyn gives a chuckle,” I was a viking for a time. I learned that their hygiene is lacking, which is not surprising, and that they are deeply unhappy about not capturing the Silver Caravan. That was apparently the whole point of this entire raid. They blame their leaders for not even trying for it. Personally, I believe that Prince Dula never had intention of seizing the caravan. I think he intended to seize Olokand Castle and force the king, for they have no idea that a Queen sits on the throne, the king to recognize him as Earl of Olokand. Of course, that does not seem likely at this time.” Both men chuckle as they turn slightly to see if the prince’s body can be seen from that part of the village. Sir Kelwyn continues, “This leads me to believe there be many competing agendas within the leadership camp. Some will want to withdraw north, some will attempt to hold Setrew, and some will take to the forest and become bandits.”

“I value your insights, Sir Kelwyn. Do you have thoughts on the which of the remaining leaders will fall into each of those camps?”

“Kroden Blacktooth will most likely become the leader of the those who wish to hold Setrew through the coming months. Tenhands has lost a lot of popularity due to his inability to keep the bridge secure. I would place him as the leader of those who become bandits, picking off the smaller groups of Kaldorians as they pass through.”

“Any other leaders, we should be aware of?”

“You have to understand that the Harbaalese force is made of many warbands, of 100 to 200 vikings in each warband, each with its own leader. The status and popularity of each leader changes after each battle or raid.”

“What about the death of Sahmnara? Do you think it will sway any one way or another?”

“Ah, I wish I knew the where and why of her past. I believe she was a concubine of one the viking warleaders, but which one, I do not know.”

Ewen nods, “She must have been close to the prince to strike at me as she did when it became his death became apparent.”

Kelwyn chuckles, “Oh no, your death was always the goal.”

“Her fatal miscalculation.” Ewen smiles at the peasant who approaches, babe in arms. Ewen bends and gives the baby a kiss before Goreg ushers the peasant one, thanking them for their support throughout the invasion.

“There is a Shek Pvar, I do not know his identity, who travels with the Vikings. Still, he is a clumsy fool and leaves fingerprints over everything.”

Ewen sighs, “Good to know. Meddling infuriates me.”

“One final point before I am off to be at the right place at the right time elsewhere. There is a Khuzan Shek Pvar that attempted to intervene in the first dance you had with Sahmnara, Malbere. He and his are ancient enemies of your family. He is being dealt with and I hope he will not trouble you again.”

“Sir Kelwyn, I bid you safe travels until we meet again.” Ewen says and then turns to one of the men walking with them to ask a logistics question regarding the well. Ewen turns back and finds Sir Kelwyn gone.

Dinner that evening is again, pork, but instead of chunks with sauce, the cooks have presented a whole hog with sauce.

Prehil turns to Ewen, “I believe I am a bit blurry from the amount of fatty meat I have eaten. I need more ale to wash it out.”

“Ah Prehil, the occasional binge is not a bad thing.”

“It has been weeks, Ewen. I am beginning to crave pigeon, or lettuce. Maybe a rabbit.”

Ewen chuckles, “I have a question, that is not of the subject of pork, but Prehil, did you leave any word to your father of where you were going?”

“The entire point of me coming with you was to avoid my father,” Prehil pauses, “and my wife.”

Ewen chuckles, and watches as Cekiya moves closer to Prehil as the knight gestures wildly, “Prehil, I value your judgment and your military analysis of the current situation.”

“My analysis is that the Vikings are fucked. I mean, we haven’t seen the last of them, if not this year, then most probably next.”

“Would they try to hold Setrew?”

“They wanted to hold Olokand, but you made that impossible. Next year is next year.” Prehil makes another gesture with the hand holding his knife, Cekiya moves closer. “Now, we have to kick their teeth in. Show them there no value in staying or coming back.”

Denzil leans forward, “We could eventually get to Lorkin and destroy their forward base.”

Prehil puts down his cutlery and picks up his ale, “We need to kill most of them. It doesn’t matter if a few get away and live as bandits. We will deal with that later, or at least that is what my father would say.”

“But it is you at my side and not him. Do you have an idea of how to make Setrew a trap instead of a base?” Ewen pauses, “Have you even been to Setrew?”

“Yes, but it was a long time ago.” Prehil responds with a grin, “The problem with Setrew is that it is a box – a keep and all that that and would hold out against a small force – but it is a box. All you have to do is find your way in from the bottom, or the top and then pound your way through.”

Cekiya thinks for second and looks to Ewen, “Let’s do both”

Ewen ignores the comment, “Can the Vikings garrison their entire force there?”

“It can hold 200, tops. Setrew is a refuge, Olokand is a fortress. If I had to hold Setrew, I could, but I wouldn’t like it.”

Ewen nods, “For the moment, your father and the Queen are no where to be seen. It is just you and me. Do we wait or do we kick in their teeth now?”

Prehil drains his ale and looks at Cekiya at his elbow, “Don’t take this the wrong way.” He grabs her by the scruff of her collar and hoists her on the table. Cekiya crouches in a flèche position, ready to strike. Prehil grabs an ale quickly and points to Cekiya, “This is your way in.” Cekiya relaxes slightly and smiles at Ewen.

“She goes in from the top and opens up the place, not that I mean she kills all, but opens the gate. You only have to then get through the main force in front of the keep and you are inside. It may not be worth it, but that is my advice as to take the keep.”

“Well, you certainly have traveled with me long enough to see how my assets work.” Ewen motions Cekiya off the table, “It occurs to me that in the absence of the prince as the singular unifying presence there will be some small dissension in the ranks on the return to Setrew. If we are to go through the body of troops, perhaps it is wise to allow that dissension to run its course so that we don’t have to go through so many. Perhaps a few will break.”

“I don’t think they have any reinforcements coming, so what is here is all we have to deal with. By my count we have knocked 600-700 out of commission currently. Of course, that is counting the injured as well as killed, so some may be returning to the action at some point.”

Ewen nods, “For the numbers we currently have, we can continue to take them out one warband at a time. We do not want to take them all on in pitched battle. Our next step will depend on the report from Thorp. Then we can figure out how to kick them in the teeth, hard.”
Matt
The GM

Return to The Melderyn Chronicle