And Now What?

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

And Now What?

Postby Imarë » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:11 pm

OK, we have now put our foot into the bees hive. As I see it, we have several choices:

1) Blame it on Sir Baris and send him from the country. As he is the only one seen (at least by anyone who survived) this would protect (somewhat) Sir Ewen's reputation. This would effectively cause Sir Baris to leave the group, something we do not want so this is not the answer.

2) Continue with the original plan. Find the Inquisitor and the scribe and kill them both and find a way to implicate him in something un-Laranian. Post play discussion has led us to believe he did not teleport from the room (it was thought that Sir Ewen could look for residue of power being used). It could be that he moved down into the dungeon to be closer to his work. It could also be that he wanted to appear to be in one room while he was really in another in case there was an action such as ours. I am sure he gets very few Christmas cards (or their equivalents)

3) The ignore defence - not a pretty picture so lets not go there.

4) Everybody leave the country - with the plans we have this also lacks the appeal of some of the others.

As I recall, Sir Baris was convinced that the Inquisitor had gone to the stable and was running there. Kaelyn, convinced he was not heading for the stable decided to head there also as to avoid fighting where he really was. The abbey has finite spaces to hide and the logical thing to do is really to split up. My assumption is that he is in the dungeon and this should be the next point of search. If this is not correct, Sir Baris in the courtyard could cut off his escape route should he try to run while we are below ground. He has only two guards and the scribe left. We do not know his abilities so Sir Baris should have some company (who has the ability to fight at least). This would leave the black knight or Imare to go with him. As the black knight is an NPC and a Laranian in service to Sir Ewen it might be best that she stay with him and Cekeya. We should also start working on a short term story for the bishop and the rest of the flock now that the novices have seen Sir Baris stick his head into their room just after the noisy slaughter which took place. Long term answers as to what to implicate the Inquisitor in should be thought of also.

On an aside, did we not find a gem which had something to do with Naveh in Palliser House? I believe the black gem went to Sir Ewen. Did we carry any of the naughty things we found in the assasins house with us either (the gaethipa or the unknown powders)? There is Naveh, Morgath and Agrik to consider framing him with. Maybe we could say we were confronted with the thing we saw in Selvos by the Inquisitor and defended ourselves. Any other ideas?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:27 pm

I agree with Imare, we should split up.

I like the idea of heading down to the courtyard to check the stables/cut off escape if possible. It may be that we find out that the Inquisitor has run off on horseback. Being near the stables will be a step in the right direction to catching him.

Imare should follow me; it would be good to have someone good with a bow out in the open space of the courtyard. It would probably be difficult for Imare to use her archery abilities in the dungeon.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:38 pm

Sir Baris did not say this when she hit him in the hand now did he. Sure you trust her to be around you with an arrow in the bow?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Sir Baris » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:39 pm

Imarë wrote:Sir Baris did not say this when she hit him in the hand now did he. Sure you trust her to be around you with an arrow in the bow?

It's been awhile since you hit me in the hand. Besides, the hope is that you will be shooting guys I can't reach. So I won't be in the way of the arrows. :)
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Imarë » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:02 pm

That's right, stroke the elves ego. Maybe if I promise to aim for Sir Baris it would be better... My skill has also improved some since this incident so maybe I will be good enough to miss, at least there is always hope.

Another, serious, thought hit me today. What if the entire action by the inquisitor was designed to goad the abbey staff into such an act as we performed? He is not in the room where he was supposed to be, which does not even look like he ever occupied. If you are fleeing (as one of the suppositions is), would you bother to clean out everything and make the bed? To be especially paranoid, could the situation have been designed to discredit the new "First Knight of Kaldor"? It could also be that the room was never meant to be occupied by the Inquisitor just in case the abbey staff did get goaded into action. The cellar would be closer to the work at hand and probably more easily defended. In either event we will have to think up a really good frame to use on the Inquisitor. Any thoughts at hand (or we could still go with option 1...)
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Arva » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:22 am

Imarë wrote:Another, serious, thought hit me today. What if the entire action by the inquisitor was designed to goad the abbey staff into such an act as we performed? He is not in the room where he was supposed to be, which does not even look like he ever occupied. If you are fleeing (as one of the suppositions is), would you bother to clean out everything and make the bed?

I don't think so. the Inquisitor would have been present with the majority of his guards to be a witness if nothing else. Unless he thought the action would be to free the prisoners, but then the majority of the guards would of been in the dungeon. in other words i think that the number of guards makes the difference.
and I do agree with the made bed evidence. a fleeing person would not stop to make the bed, although he would take papers, but the room would be in dissorder (trunk and drawer would of been open and ink and quills would of been left)

Imarë wrote: To be especially paranoid, could the situation have been designed to discredit the new "First Knight of Kaldor"? Any thoughts at hand (or we could still go with option 1...)

First knight was there on a whim and the inquistor was there too soon for any original purpose to discredit Ewen, also i think the inquistor was from melderyn and therefore really doesn't care about who won the tourneyment.

and option one is always an option...of course if we sell out baris...imarë and i could also be sold out as witches...oh well...
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Arva » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:30 am

I have a thought that needs to be filed away for later, but i didn't want to forget it....after we find the inquisitor and frame him (dead or alive ) as we are explaining to the bishop what happened...ewen should either get in touch with para (if long distance deryni communiction is feasible, available, etc) or send ceikya...to kill the archbishop or at least make him very ill...i think that it would cast less suspiscion on us if were still at the abbey and not in tashal were it could be said we had contacts (if everyone agrees that the abriel abbey bishop would be more use to us in the archbisop seat than dead or in his current post)...it also be even better if said assasian were to beat the abbey's LoP carring the letter of protest there.
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Imarë » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 am

If I goad a dog to the point where he will attack anything moving, I do not wish to be that thing. If the Inquisitor was involved in something like that, the simple fact that the guards were attacked would be grounds to prove the bishop is unfit. Staying around to get a sword in the gut would not be my favorite thing to happen. As for being from Melderyn, does that really matter if he truly believes in the cause of Larani? Kaelyn is from Melderyn but she is up to her neck in Kaldoran politics. I'm not sure I ascribe to this theory, just thought it and put it up for discussion (try and see all possibilities).

On the Sir Ewen front, the timing seems a little close. As he did not win until a couple of days ago, the travel time for getting the news to the Archbishop and the Inquisitor to come (not to mention getting the plan together) is too tight (unless they had this as their back-up plan in case somebody else won, which is unlikely).

I don't really know about the Archbishop. On the one hand, we do not know at all the current one and getting anything from him would be impossible. We do know this Bishop and having a friend is at least better but this is a politics decision for Sir Ewen to evaluate. As for beating the letters back to Tashal, that may not be possible. I am sure that the instructions to the knights was to go as quickly as possible, the longer the time perhaps the higher the bodycount. I would only say that if the church only knew how much we have effected the heirarchy they would really be surprised.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Imarë » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:02 pm

I think that I should also point out that killing the Archbishop will not be a walk in the park:

-He is not a believer in Laranians not being overt warriors and will probably have a large contingent of the fighting order nearby

-This is an unfortified abbey, will the seat of the Archbishop be the same?

-We were told where the room of the Inquisitor was by a helpful steward (and even that seems not to be correct to some degree), this will not be available here.

-We have been guests of the abbey, given carte-blance by the Bishop, I doubt this will be the same (as we especially wish to septarate Sir Ewen from more mayhem).

-Off the cuff action seems to leave ends somewhat loose (even if Cekeya wants to tie them up).

I am not saying it is impossible, there are just difficulties which should be looked at before we go sending our new associate south on her own...
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:26 pm

Imarë wrote:before we go sending our new associate south on her own...

I'll point out this is a non-starter for several reasons ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:40 pm

I did not wish to leave the impression that I thought that she could not do it. The wisdom of even trying is another question.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:46 pm

Imarë wrote:I did not wish to leave the impression that I thought that she could not do it.

You didn't. I'm saying as GM that splitting the party in this way is not something I want to do. Further, given how Cekiya reacted when Sir Ewen suggested she be sent back to Tashal, do you even think she would go?

I make no comment on eliminating the archbishop, or the wisdom of doing so. That's up to you guys. 8)
Matt
The GM

Postby Arva » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:54 am

Matt wrote:. Further, given how Cekiya reacted when Sir Ewen suggested she be sent back to Tashal, do you even think she would go?

yes...she would have a mission...but she probably wouldn't like it a whole lot...or she might i mean killing an archbishop...that's a challenege and we wouldn't want cekiya to be bored :twisted:

but like i said it was a thought i had that should be filed away for later...like after we find the inquisitor
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Arva » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:05 am

Imarë wrote:If I goad a dog to the point where he will attack anything moving, I do not wish to be that thing. If the Inquisitor was involved in something like that, the simple fact that the guards were attacked would be grounds to prove the bishop is unfit. Staying around to get a sword in the gut would not be my favorite thing to happen. As for being from Melderyn, does that really matter if he truly believes in the cause of Larani? Kaelyn is from Melderyn but she is up to her neck in Kaldoran politics. I'm not sure I ascribe to this theory, just thought it and put it up for discussion (try and see all possibilities).

it is a possiblity i'm not denying that and if sir baris is correct and the inquisitor is in the stables or just left the stables on a fast horse, then i think the goading into action is just what the inquisitor had in mind.

as for the inquisitor being from melderyn and having no intrest in the tournanebt...i still stand by that reason...kaelyn is from melderyn and she's a scholar in pursuit of more knowledge (politics can bring a lot of information not found in books) and frankly if ewen and baris were not in the tournement, she wouldn't of cared who won, in fact she really doesn't care the ewen won except that she is a member of the party and ewen's status increased and that means more library doors are going to be open to kaelyn. (of course politically speaking, kaelyn is still an infant)
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Imarë » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:44 am

But Kaelyn, that kind of makes my point. For you the acquisition of knowledge is paramount. For a devotee of Larani it could be something entirely different. For some the boundries of a nation are a hindrance to be overcome (I think we can all think of examples here). My point was that just because he is from Melderyn does not mean that he would not dabble in the affairs of Kaldor if he felt the church was better served (in my example, not assigning him this role). I would think it would take a certain fanaticism to be in the job he has anyway, torturing and killing people he feels are impure. Remember what he is doing to a group that the Archbishop feels is not practicing the religion the way he feels it should. This is a sect which believes the church itself should not practice warfare and devote itself to another point of Larani, hardly grounds (in my book) for killing all of them (but I have never understood someone who has that much passion for this topic). If the writ for the Inquisitor was rubberstamped by the Primate, I feel a more substantial charge would be needed to court the lay people (by this I mean the King). A rebellion against church orders could be that charge. Once again we are guessing, as time goes on more clues will be revealed to us and we will be able to more accurately gauge this.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Arva » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:03 pm

Imarë wrote:Once again we are guessing, as time goes on more clues will be revealed to us and we will be able to more accurately gauge this.

agreed...

so what were we going to frame the inquisitor with? :D
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Imarë » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:07 pm

I was thinking walnut with a narrow matte around it... sorry, could not resist. It would need to be something intangible as we do not have the materials (or know how) to really set up something physical. I was leaning toward the feelings that were felt in the secret complex in Selvos when the party members felt being tested to lose their souls to Morgath. The advantage is that the feeling can be described correctly and there seems to be no object needed. Any other ideas?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:27 pm

You're suggesting an artifact or object that suggests one of the dark gods? You'd have to know something about them wouldn't you?
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:38 pm

I do not know if this event always includes an object, just that the one's we have been subjected to do. Getting an object that could do something like that is (currently) beyond our ability. The feeling which overcame the players in Golotha accross from the perfumers is what I am talking about also, something which I do believe does not need an object.
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:08 pm

Are you suggesting simulating a feeling that is hardly known outside of Golotha? Assuming Sir Ewen or Sir Baris could describe it correctly, what makes you think anyone around here would even know what it means much less be in a position to test its authenticity?

And just to be clear, there absolutely was an object involved in Selvos - the orb. In Golotha it was people.
Matt
The GM

Postby Imarë » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:34 pm

As Imare seems to have missed the class on "How to frame Laranian Inquisitors with Death Cult Items" does anybody have ideas?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Arva » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:33 am

i seemed to have missed that class as well...

if we do not have an object to plant on the inquistor and finding him in a ritual of some sort seems to be unlikely...what's left, :? a marking of some sort identifing him as a follower of a dark god...which actually would be good for us, but a really dumb move on the inquisitor's part so that's unlikely as well...
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Imarë » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:10 pm

Well, we have a superficial knowlege of Agrikans (the people), but know little of their religion exept it involves bashing people with blunt instruments and violence (especially toward midgets :lol: ) seems to be a key. While we have visited a Morgathian complex, I am not sure we know anything about their symbolism and only know about the attempts to turn several party members into gulmorven. We have also been chased away from said complex by some of the undead. Anybody know how to reanimate a corpse :twisted: ? I noticed in the session that Cekeya had information about Laranians (and I do doubt she is a follower). Does she have any useful tidbits about any of the death cult gods we could use?
Imarë
In the Blessed Realm

Postby Arva » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:36 pm

Imarë wrote:Well, we have a superficial knowlege of Agrikans (the people), but know little of their religion exept it involves bashing people with blunt instruments and violence (especially toward midgets :lol: ) seems to be a key. While we have visited a Morgathian complex, I am not sure we know anything about their symbolism and only know about the attempts to turn several party members into gulmorven. We have also been chased away from said complex by some of the undead. Anybody know how to reanimate a corpse :twisted: ?

well, that's more than kaelyn knows, all she was really taught is "they are bad" although i do wonder if there was a class on "key indicators of death cults" at school...most likely not
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:10 pm

Kaelyn wrote:i do wonder if there was a class on "key indicators of death cults" at school...most likely not

Sounds like a graduate seminar taught by unregenerate stoned hippies ... except it would have a more pretentious name like: Semiotics of Death Cults: Comprehending the Roots of Misunderstood Malignity. 8)
Matt
The GM

Next

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...