Who wants to kill Ewen now?

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

Who wants to kill Ewen now?

Postby Arva » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:58 am

It's like playing Blue's Clues but with knives. :twisted:
I feel like a new person....
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Not familiar with Blues Clues, but...

It seems that perhaps we should reflect on what abilities our little adder has demonstrated, expecially spell-wise, given that our foe might well have similar chops. Might have others as well, of course, but it makes sense to tabulate the stuff we do know.

Rahel thinks odds are against Cekiya killing Longhals during the three days, as the latter just needs to evade, not kill, her. He'll be more vulnerable once the three days elapses and he must kill Ewen. So how to kill him before he kills Ewen?

One method that occurs to me: Stake Sir Ewen out as bait at a location with wards set to prevent Longhals getting at him physically. Mind blast (through the wards) when Longhals takes the bait.

Other ideas?
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Staking Sir Ewen out seems a tactic to be deployed should Cekiya fail.

A key question is does Cekiya know something of Longhals's approach that she might predict some of his actions?
Last edited by Matt on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Matt wrote:Staking Sir Ewen out seems a tactic to be deployed should Cekiya fail.

Yes, only after the three days.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

The little adder knows ...

Postby Cekiya » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm

... That Longhals is a tree dweller. He tends to drop on his targets from above. Longhals is not his real name, nor does anyone know it, but he is called Longhals because of his rather long neck.

It would be very good if Cekiya could kill him during the 3 days. A Navite would never lay low when challenged to the Herth-Akan, it would be considered an insult to the deity. If she doesn't kill him it wouldn't be considered a failure just that the deity has spoken. Cekiya would then step aside and allow him the kill. It is unclear as to how long he would hunt Ewen down, could be until either he or Ewen is dead or it could be a set amount of time.
"My mummy used to sing me to sleep at night. Run and catch, the lamb is caught in the blackberry patch ... She had the sweetest voice.
What will your mummy sing when they find your body?"
Cekiya
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Sir Baris » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 am

I know we're talking about the assassin, but I wanted to interject some thoughts about Kolorn sending his men to kill "everyone" at Sir Danys' house.

I think Ewen was the target, but Kolorn didn't know.

I think it's really odd that, one day after he met with us to form an alliance, something happened to make Kolorn want to kill us, and he also had time to meet with Danys, arrange for Danys to invite us over, and arrange for his men to come kill us all.

Also, the fact that there wasn't an explicit target is odd. If Kolorn targeted Ewen, the orders would not have been just, "Kill everyone," they would have been, "Kill everyone, especially Ewen."

Given all that, I don't think Kolorn knew we'd be in the house.

It's possible Danys was the true target for reasons unknown, perhaps he was blackmailing someone, and we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If this were the case, though, wouldn't the orders have been, "Kill everyone, especially Danys"?

Also, if Danys were the target, why so many men in the attacking force? It didn't seem like he had a lot of guards. All his money was spent on women and booze.

My gut says there is a third party aware of the alliance who arranged the attack in order to drive a wedge between us and Kolorn. This third party could have enticed Danys to invite us, and Kolorn to attack Danys.

This last possibility explains why Danys said he had a revelation. Someone knew that would entice us to go. So whoever added that detail knows us. Danys doesn't know much about us, we've never really met. And, for the reasons above, I don't think that someone was Kolorn. Thus, we're left with a third party.

A third party trying to drive a wedge between us and Kolorn also explains the odd wording of the orders- it means that Ewen as the target was hidden from Kolorn.

So, who would have the authority to make Kolorn send a ton of guys to kill "everyone" in Danys's house?

There are some flaws with this theory- if the third party told Kolorn Danys was the target, why weren't the orders, "Kill everyone, especially Danys." Maybe the third party told Kolorn to not let his men know the target, so they had plausible deniability, etc.

Anyway, thoughts?
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:27 pm

I share your hunch that Kolorn doesn't know, that is my starter theory. Although an alternative is that Kolorn is especially devious, and built the ambiguity into the order as a failsafe in case things went wrong, to give him plausible deniability. But that seems more of a stretch than your theory, and fails to account for what changed in so short a time.

Vemion must be our lead candidate. He has motive to spy on the new baron and on Ewen, and his wife might have detected my clairvoy and be clairvoying me right back. Either way, spying might have disclosed our meeting at GF, and ordering Bastune to unwittingly murder Ewen would be a sweet retaliation, albeit rapidly implemented and executed. If so, I see Bresyn's hand behind this, myself being loath to credit Vemion with such speed and duplicity. Bastune is vulnerable to needing to please Vemion for reasons he stated, and so if faced with a strange order to have men enter Sir Danys house and slay the inhabitants, he would fear to risk his new barony by disobeying or questioning.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:25 pm

The role of Sir Danyes himself remains ambiguous. In the know or innocent dupe? Inquiring minds want to know ...
Matt
The GM

Re: Who wants to kill Ewen now?

Postby Sir Aeomund » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm of the opinion that Vemion or his concubine are behind this. We believe Vemion is in the area somewhere, perhaps this is rapid plan indicates that he is closer than we think.

The one caveat being, would Vemion use a direct vassal to strike at Ewen?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 pm

That's a good question, and I suppose it depends on how blatant an earl can be in Kaldor about killing lesser persons than himself, like a prominent knight for instance.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:41 pm

In Vemionshire, it's likely that Declaen Caldeth could get away with murdering almost anyone. In Tashal, well, that's another story.

If it is Vemion, then he would have a way to distance himself from Kolorn and Sir Danyes. The same would be true of any of the other earls. If it's someone else, other factors are no doubt in play.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:51 am

That accords with our previous, and fairly extensive, experience with earls who hate Sir Ewen's guts to a homicidal degree. Armed men tend to lack proper heraldic insignias while committing arson and mayhem, a certain plausible deniability is maintained, etc.

While one strategy might be to find a way to discommode the earl by making a stink about the mayhem (by complaining to the crown or, in this case, Balim as Sir Danyes' liege, for instance), Sir Ewen's intention to kill Caldeth and his new bride probably makes such a strategy counter-productive.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Arva » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:03 am

So many people want Ewen dead it is hard to narrow down the list. :twisted:

I agree that Bastune had no knowledge of who he was killing. Perhaps we should find out the reason why he sent his men. There has to be a really, really good reason, other than my liege ordered it, especially in the King's city. And frankly we could just ask. He is supposed to be an ally of sorts. Probably shouldn't have another meeting with him so soon after the first one, but then again he is our next door neighbor.

I still think that we should go in and kidnap and interrogate Danyes and then decide the course of action to take from his answers. Is he in Neph's pocket? Did he have some outstanding debt to Vemion that has now been repaid? Is he just scum?

Does anyone remember what session Ewen meet/had tea with Bresyn? I completely forget what her personality is like.
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Arva » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:06 am

Random thought. What if it was Thilisa? She could realize that she has a better chance of inheriting if the husband her father hates is dead. She may not realize that her daddy is married again. Plus, she must of known the Bastune's while she was growing up. Granted there is an age difference, but who knows what relationship she had with them.
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 pm

The search function works again! Bresyn comes up quite a few times, but it looks like tea was 89 or 90. I'll have to post the more recent ones.

Also, don't forget Sir Danyes is a vassal of Balim.
Matt
The GM

Postby Arva » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks.
Yay for search engine! The tea at Gallopea's Feast was in session 47. She is an interesting nutter. There was mostly talk of astrology and a whole bunch of double speak. While she may be clever enough to orchestrate the seemingly random murder of Sir Ewen, I would wager there is someone behind whispering ideas into her head.
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Sir Aeomund » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:14 am

Let's locate Sir Danelys and torture him till he tells us what he knows. WOW teddy you were right, it is standard Laranian pracitce!

There are wheels within wheels going on here. I think we definetly need to put Bastune in the ally camp or the enemy camp. There is also a slim chance that someone set Bastune up to curtail his available manpower and couple it with the possible demise of Sir Ewen. Another thing to keep in mind is that Ewen is a tenant of the King directly. I agree that making a stink to the King is a bad idea in light of us watching to kill the Earl, but it does provide direct access to the royal seat should we need it.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Arva » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Ok, I said just about everything I thought of about the Baron, Earls, and Danyes now onto the other person who is trying to kill Ewen...

I know that we should try to leave it up to Cekiya to handle, but honestly when have we ever done that. In the bit of background information that was given we find that Longneck (insert land before time reference here) likes to do the whole Death from Above thing. Perhaps Ewen should take some precaution of thieves slipping in the windows in the upper floors and check above his bed for monsters before going to sleep after the three days of hide and seek is up.

Cekiya said that Longneck will not lay low and hide (or he's a pansy) and that after some smart searching Cekiya should be able to track, hunt and kill him. I am not suggesting that anyone other than Cekiya engage the other assassin, that would just be in poor taste. What perhaps we could do to aid Cekiya on her hunt, is just look up when walking. As those in the North End know, no one ever looks up when walking in the neighborhood. It's not exactly cheating, her deity did place her with us, so I could (and will) argue that her deity approves of us as extras. Of course if Cekiya doesn't dismantle Longneck in three days, all bets are off and perhaps Baris should sleep with armor on.

Is there anything else we could be doing during those three days to better Cekiya's odds?
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Cekiya » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Cekiya said that Longneck will not lay low and hide (or he's a pansy) and that after some smart searching Cekiya should be able to track, hunt and kill him.

Actually Longhals will do his best to elude Cekiya. If Cekiya fails to hunt him down and kill him in the 3d then it is considered the blessing of Neveh to hunt Ewen. During these 3 days you all can certainly join in the hunt. Not sure Cekiya will be the best person to be around if you succeed :evil: ... but the real goal is for no one to roll a new character.

As for Thilisa, I don't see her self-inflicting widowhood until an heir and maybe a spare is born. She really did risk a lot in marrying Ewen so she must see something in him. She knows about his Deryni abilities and maybe that is what gave human edge over the other suitors. She hasn't been read in a while, perhaps Ewen could muster up a moment of affection to do that.

Can someone remind me why Balim would hate Ewen enough to want him dead? His boys don't seem to have a beef with him.
"My mummy used to sing me to sleep at night. Run and catch, the lamb is caught in the blackberry patch ... She had the sweetest voice.
What will your mummy sing when they find your body?"
Cekiya
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Arva » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:40 am

Either it is the cold medicine or this game is getting to me.
If Cekiya fails to hunt him down and kill him in the 3d
I read that as three pence...kill him in the three pence. :roll:

Anywho, I don't see Thilisa being the baddie on this one either, just had to throw it out there. We were being entirely too logical.

I also don't think Balim is the one trying to kill Ewen. Balim would try (is trying?) to find out how to control/use Ewen to his (Balim's) advantage. If he can't, then he'd try to kill him in a much subtler way. Danyes does count Balim as his liege lord, but he seems to be closer to Neph. So Danyes could just be working for the highest bidder. He seems to have his own agenda.
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Kaelyn wrote:Either it is the cold medicine or this game is getting to me.
If Cekiya fails to hunt him down and kill him in the 3d
I read that as three pence...kill him in the three pence. :roll:

Heh. Expectations can certainly shift one's frame of reference to a completely new mindset! :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 am

The similar tastes of Neph and Sir Danyes makes me wonder if there is a Halean connection; for some reason I recall a Neph / Halean connection. Perhaps Kaelyn might call upon her new Halean contacts, if we think it might provide an interesting item or two of info. On the other hand, we could just kidnap Sir Danyes and apply the thumbscrews.

On the issue of Longhals, I wonder if Cekiya would have any hunch how he might fare against the following Deryni powers: wards (like I have around Thilisa's wealth), suggestion through rapport (like I did to the king), power (heads exploding), illusion (like the lightning on the Olokand ramparts)? I realize a definitive statement on any of these is unlikely, but perhaps something along the lines of, "I knew one Dranatha in the hive who had a way of getting through a magic barrier" would be helpful.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Neph definitely has a Halean connection - recall his private party at Gallopea's Feast.

On Longhals, Cekiya could tell you he's human, and thus has no more defense than any other human. Except, inasmuch as he is a cleric, he likely has some development in the Mental Conflict skill (feel free to check HM3) which would allow him a small defense against purely mental actions, including power.

MC is rare outside of religious and arcanists, but not unheard of. Apparently, Haldan III has is not, or it failed him.
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 pm

If anymore heads explode I'll have a huge inferiority complex with my sword skills.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Sir Baris » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 am

I'm up way too late, putting the finishing touches on the notes. Going through the recordings (while great, add quite a lot more length to the notes). I am reminded of a scene late in last game, when the messenger pounded on the door to give Cekiya the note. Tom and I said, "What if it's Kolorn, coming and screaming "Ohmygod, Ewen, help me, help me, somebody super powerful just killed all my guys!" Maybe it's the time, but I just found the pretty funny and wanted to share.
Vemion delenda est.
Sir Baris
Squire
Squire

Next

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...