WEll ... this should be an interesting discussion ...

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

WEll ... this should be an interesting discussion ...

Postby Cekiya » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:16 pm

So Ewen needs to chat with Lydel and find out what are the actions taken by the Shek-Pvar to prevent daddy Arren's plan to take over the Kaldor Kingdom. (I think you should take the not so public portal transit for this meeting) But we all disagree with the motivation for Quillen and Jahmis's ... which is where this thread should get interesting ... am I wrong?
"My mummy used to sing me to sleep at night. Run and catch, the lamb is caught in the blackberry patch ... She had the sweetest voice.
What will your mummy sing when they find your body?"
Cekiya
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: WEll ... this should be an interesting discussion ...

Postby Goreg » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm curious who is on the list of those they have "protected." Perhaps someone should check if Thilisa is among them.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Postby Goreg » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:05 pm

There was extensive post-game discussion as to the precise nature of the message the Shek P'Var intended to convey at the aborted dinner.

Did they mean:

1)Ceasefire. Both sides should stand completely down and let the kingdom be at peace, or

2) Be like the Mafia, i.e. go ahead and kill each other, but avoid civilian casualties and public chaos.

I lean toward 2, but that may only be because #1 seems like overreaching.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:15 am

Sotor wrote:I'm curious who is on the list of those they have "protected." Perhaps someone should check if Thilisa is among them.

I share your curiosity, and also wonder about the form of the protection. Given the source of the protection, we must assume magical protection of some sort, although I suppose there is no logical reason why mundane protection could not be part of the scheme here as well. But given the overwheiming likelihood that magicians practice magic, I wonder if Kaelyn has any hypotheses about what form this protection might take? Would we have a way of detecting if Thilisa, or anyone else, is actively under protection?

Also, given Kaelyn's conviction that messing in politics like this is against the Skek P'var oath of office, perhaps she (or Sotor) can research what standing these guys have in the Guild, what others know of them, what monographs they have written? Not that reporting them for violating the Prime Directive is a feasible plan, but learning more about them might help us guess their methodology.

Knowing more about precisely who they are protecting might shed some light on their specific goals, motives and priorities, assuming there is more going on here than what meets the eye.

And Cheryl's suggestion that Sir Ewen follow up with Sir Arren is intriguing but potentially dangerous. We should discuss the pros and cons of seeking him out vs. leaving him alone.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:40 pm

It is reasonable to infer that the magical protection would be aimed at Deryni abilities given the two people they singled out. Now, what that might be is another story, though it is most likely to be either Neutral or of the Savoryan convocation.
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:07 pm

That makes sense, although Deryni magic has played only a minor role in some of the recent disturbances, whereas proxy forces like Navahan assassins and companies of men with swords have been more prominent, even though the vying sides are indeed Deryni. Is their objection to the introduction of Deryni powers to mudane politics? That might make sense, given their own philosophy of non-interference. Maybe they justify their deviating from that prinicple based upon their sense that the Deryni have no business interfering overtly in Kaldoric politics either.

Again, the form of the protection is of interest. Would people be protected somehow, or certain buildings or homes? Combating Deryni would suggest protecting peoples' minds somehow, I should think. How would they do that, and would the recipient be aware of anything? Kaelyn?

Perhaps Ewen needs to consult Rahel, Rhonna, et al for any info on historical conflicts between Shek P'Var and Deryni, how it took place, and who came out on top...
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Sir Aeomund » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 am

Perhaps the SP's are projecting their moral and ethical code towards magic on the Deryni?
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am

My guess is that's exactly what they are doing, and perhaps with some justification. I believe Deryni historically have tended to be discreet and covert in their operations, at least in lands where they represent only a tiny percentage of the population. This rationale mirrors that of the SP ethics I think. The three SP guys are rationalizing their own breaking of the rules because they are concerned at this escalating conflict between Deryni in Kaldor, which is something new. It is also something largely instigated by Sir Ewen and the party's activities and success. (The plot to topple Kaldor being masterminded by Ewen's father seems designed to keep overt Deryni activities well-concealed)
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Were there other thoughts here? I should think Megan might have an opinion ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Arva » Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Ok, here is the thought from the little Shek P'var who has been out of school for just about a full year. Yay!

Seriously, though keep that in mind when reading my two pence.

I believe that these men have traveled and seen what the Deryni can do to kingdoms. Both with their power (not Power) overtly and behind the scenes. I don't think they have a full handle on what it means to be Deryni. Kaelyn most certainly does not, and she has been around one for a year.

Kaelyn thinks that Aethel, not really knowing much about the other two, I will not speculate. That Aethel sees Kaldor as a home base. Nothing ever changes, everything is how it should be, which is to say as it was when he was growing up. Oh there may be a little squabble here and there, but it is in essence that small town that you can fit right back into. I think that Aethel is overstepping.

Of course, this comes from an Shek P'var traveling with a Deryni intent on causing chaos and noble upheaval.
I feel like a new person....
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Wed May 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Kaelyn wrote:Aethel sees Kaldor as a home base. Nothing ever changes, everything is how it should be, which is to say as it was when he was growing up. Oh there may be a little squabble here and there, but it is in essence that small town that you can fit right back into. I think that Aethel is overstepping.

This is an interesting hypothesis.
Matt
The GM

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...