The news has come

Discussions regarding plotlines, paranoid musings, and other related ruminations

Moderator: Imarë

The news has come

Postby Goreg » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:42 am

Maldan Harabor is dead.

(Am I right in recalling that Balim specifically told us to make sure Kornuska Harabor was not harmed when we rescued Scina? If so, that may be his candidate for the earldom.)

Also, it seems now that Maldan should have taken the assassination attempt at the hunt a little more seriously.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Re: The news has come

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:50 am

Yes, Balim was specific about that. Mirild, in Qualdris, is the older son FYI.

The Queen/Balim faction is in control of the government for the nonce. They did not say anything about another meeting of the council ...
Matt
The GM

Postby Goreg » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:00 am

Just for the record, the Queen's request for a bowl of strawberries turns out to have been a reference to "Richard III,' Act 3, Scene 4, in which Richard similarly sends a bishop out for a bowl of strawberries before ordering a sudden execution.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:15 am

Ya think? :lol:

Kudos for catching that!
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:42 pm

I was talking with Cheryl about the final moments of the session, and I have a few comments that I think should be available to the wider group.

Firstly, regarding Dave's good point about Maldan's insouciance about the hunting 'accident,' I might note there is a bit of a difference between two anonymous arrows and a summary execution scantily clad in legality.

Second, the idea of seeing the King. Don't count on it. The Queen and Balim have successfully perpetrated a coup. The council is, for the moment at least, moribund. No one will be seeing Haldan III without the Queen's approval at this point. Armed with the Protectorship, the Queen effectively has the regency they sought from the council but which it would not give. It appears that over the interval between meetings they changed tactics. I guess it's good to have the nobles on board if one can get them, but the objective is more important in the end.

Third, Maldan was not attainted or deprived of his lands/titles and so, at this point, Mirild Harabor is legally Earl of Osel. Of course, it might take a little time for that news to reach him, and ironically, younger brother Kornuska in Heru will probably hear about it first.
Matt
The GM

Postby Goreg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Matt wrote:Third, Maldan was not attainted or deprived of his lands/titles and so, at this point, Mirild Harabor is legally Earl of Osel. Of course, it might take a little time for that news to reach him, and ironically, younger brother Kornuska in Heru will probably hear about it first.

If Balim is willing to put an earl up against a wall and shoot him (metaphorically), the legal claim to the title is unlikely to mean much. It may be that the Royal faction thinks Kornuska will be more malleable, or it may be that they've already reached an agreement. Or it might be that Balim told Ewen that just to make sure another escalation did not occur. Time will tell.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Postby Lord Ewen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:08 pm

It occurs to me that other factors might have informed Balim's injuction that we not harm Kornuska. He might have wished to retain fully the moral high ground as perceived by others in general, or the Queen in specific. When he killed Maldan, he would emerge much less encumbered in the eyes of the remaining peers in the absence of collateral casualties.

Also, I imagine managing the Queen has been a consuming challenge for Balim as well. He might have anticipated that the death of Kornuska, a younger son after all, might strike a bit too close to home for the Queen, given her recent loss, and might have unnecessarily complicated his efforts to manage her behavior in this protracted crisis.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Return to Plots Have I Laid ...