Oh the Weather Outside Is Frightful

Plans, operations, and intentions

Moderator: Imarë

Oh the Weather Outside Is Frightful

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:57 am

Folks -

Is there any consensus on where the group plans to winter this year? I see Tashal, Varayne, Ternua, or even Kolorn as options. You may have other ideas. It would help a jobbing GM to know for planning purposes.

Thanks! 8)
Matt
The GM

Re: Oh the Weather Outside Is Frightful

Postby Goreg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Well, that's something of a trick. Although actual military action is extremely difficult in winter, war by political means will probably carry forth just as enthusiastically. We need to stay close to the scene of events. That means Tashal--unless, by some twist, the scene of events moves. In that case, we would have to move with it, even if it meant the dubious joys of winter travel.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Postby Arva » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:07 am

Ternua is out...that is where we stashed Thilisa. I doubt that neither she nor Ewen would like to be in the same area all winter long.

I add my vote to Tashal. All news will generate to and from there, vs the country life of Kolorn or Varayne. We can deploy from there easier as well.
I feel like a new person....
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:31 pm

Kaelyn wrote:Ternua is out...that is where we stashed Thilisa. I doubt that neither she nor Ewen would like to be in the same area all winter long.

Heh. Van and I enjoy a long-standing friendship. Having to play the Ewen/Thilisa relationship over an entire winter may put it to its greatest test! :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Lord Ewen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:02 pm

Agreed, emphatically.

I concur that Tashal is the best option just now, although I am aware that Tom has argued in favor of Ternua on a number of occasions.

The latest developments appear to suggest that Meden Curo intends to make a play for the throne some time soon, and that he does not propose the traditional route of waiting until Spring and depending upon a military campaign to seize the throne. While he has been characteristically short on details, my impression is that any intention on his part to depend upon military means will be more in the way of a coup de main, which in any event may be employed when most opportune, whatever the season. The main thrust, however, will be political, as Dave points out.

The main argument against Tashal, to my mind, would be if we felt that Curo, now apparently embarked upon his overthrow of the Elendsas and claiming broad support, will cause ample chaos and undermine Kaldor's overall stability without us maintaining constant involvement. The idea would be that we should shift from our accustomed role and, with prudent timing in mind, withdraw to Ternua now and employ a lighter touch during the winter, the idea being to never interfere with a fellow who is about to put himself at great risk doing dirty work which your would, otherwise, be obliged to do yourself.

I have delayed responding while considering this line of reasoning, so I wanted to put it out there, so to speak. In the absence of a groundswell for the "light touch" approach, I lean toward keeping our finger on the pulse in Tashal until events on the ground mitigate that reasoning.
Lord Ewen
Baron
Baron

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Lord Ewen wrote:The main argument against Tashal, to my mind, would be if we felt that Curo, now apparently embarked upon his overthrow of the Elendsas and claiming broad support, will cause ample chaos and undermine Kaldor's overall stability without us maintaining constant involvement. The idea would be that we should shift from our accustomed role and, with prudent timing in mind, withdraw to Ternua now and employ a lighter touch during the winter, the idea being to never interfere with a fellow who is about to put himself at great risk doing dirty work which your would, otherwise, be obliged to do yourself.

This is a subtle insight, and might bear additional consideration. It would imply Ternua, but then Varayne is closer just in case. Then there's locking down Kolorn, eating out the substance of Inbernel, oh my.
Matt
The GM

Postby Goreg » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:54 am

So is there any sort of Yuletide festival coming up on the Harnic calendar?

Seems like it would be an awfully long, cold season without one.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Postby Arva » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:43 am

Lord Ewen wrote:The main argument against Tashal, to my mind, would be if we felt that Curo, now apparently embarked upon his overthrow of the Elendsas and claiming broad support, will cause ample chaos and undermine Kaldor's overall stability without us maintaining constant involvement. The idea would be that we should shift from our accustomed role and, with prudent timing in mind, withdraw to Ternua now and employ a lighter touch during the winter, the idea being to never interfere with a fellow who is about to put himself at great risk doing dirty work which your would, otherwise, be obliged to do yourself.

Agreed - Mostly
But is Ternua the right place...
Although, where else would we go?
Varayne - resources are stretched and didn't we bring some of the back-up fodder down to Ternua for the seize?
The holdings to the south - well, at least Baris could check on Selapan. But they are a bit out of the way.
We could sneak back up to Olakand and party with the prince...oh wait, he isn't there. :lol:
Maybe we could go to Heru?
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:48 am

Goreg wrote:So is there any sort of Yuletide festival coming up on the Harnic calendar?

Seems like it would be an awfully long, cold season without one.

There are various end of year festivities associated with specific deities. The Navehan ones are not exactly, um, festive.
Matt
The GM

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:49 am

Like the tag Megan. I'll take appropriate steps at some point. :lol:
Matt
The GM

Postby Sir Aeomund » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Turnua. Yes, I am a broken record. It is the seat of our military power, its is the seat of Ewen's official title. The people and lords of the Barony need to see their new lord. They were under the Verdreths for a long time. Also, the Oathtaking needs to occur. We should make sure that no one has Meden'ed Ewen's vassals.

The castle is our strongest point, the focus of our power, and is not really that far from Tashal. I also second the plan to let Meden put his own face out there. We were not asked with anything specific to do so let's let him keep time with his own dance with the devil.

If I can not prevail upon you all to accept Turnua I put forward Heru as an option. This would allow us to control both the river crossing into the city since splitting the party is frowned upon.
Sir Aeomund
Captain
Captain

Postby Arva » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:43 am

I just want to remind peoples that Thilisa's house in Tashal is vacant with a cook already paid for.
Also...who has the count of Ewen's men and where they are and what they are - Thardan lads, Knights, Dickon's men, etc.?
How many in Ternua, Varayne, Tashal (in Raven Hall and Dickon House)?
Arva
Knight
Knight

Postby Goreg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Tom has some very good points--and I don't want to lose track of the fact that there's that traditional mid-Savor feast in Ternua that we're on the hook for. It's very important. Let's not forget.
Goreg
Captain
Captain

Return to I Dare Do all that May Become ...